PDA

View Full Version : We have a cat again.

BigCharles
10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
:) :) :) :love:

Bad news and good news. First the bad. No pictures yet. We only got her last night and I can't find the bloody stinking camera. I'll get too it.

The docs have been telling my wife that she should not have animals in the house for the next few years. Then Saturday happened. We went to Staples to get some thick paper for Cindy to use for Braille. Well PetsMart is right down from Staples in the mall. I said that I was going to go down there to "visit the prisoners" while Cindy shopped. She came down after.

We were looking at the fosters that the Humane Society had. They told Cindy, while I was in the can, that they had an older cat that they did not have out. When I came back Cindy was cradling this meezer. I'm not fond of meezers, don't shoot! Well anyway they said that they had not seen this cat be settled with anyone else. They bonded in less than 5 minutes. :love:

Now they start telling me the sad story. It's an older cat. The foster mom was out of town and had left this cat at the store for better keeping. This PetsMart has a Banfield clinic in the store. They never expected this cat to be adopted.

The previous owner, and elderly lady, had passed away suddenly. No family it seems. The neighbors were cleaning out the house and had been taking turns keeping the cat. Finally turned it over the the HAHS. That was six months back.

The neighbors thought that the cat was 8 but the vet said over 10 but had no idea how much over. Now they tell me that she has bad teeth, gets sick in the car every time, can't get up on the furniture or bed, does not play, hates other cats. I felt like what was being described was a one owner used car. :eek:

I keep saying "the cat" because the neighbors did not know the name. The foster mom had been calling her "Jaylee". Since that was no official and we it did not turn us on we changed it. What we picked it descriptive. "Cocoa".

Chocolate Siamese. Dark leggings to the body in front and to the first joint in the back. Dark face. Blue eyes. Chocolate tail. She would make Milton Hershey cry. She is gorgeous!

She quickly figured out that there are no other cats in the house. She explored twice. She walked up to me and gave one of those meows that rises sharply in pitch at the end. Typical question type meow. I put up one finger then pointed it to her and said, "just you." She rubbed the wall and started kneading floor. She was so excited. Oh, this also means that she is smarter than they gave her credit for.

I have to cut this short. I'm setting at my office desk watching the sun rise and wanting to run all the way home. I miss her already.

We have a cat again!

RICHARD
10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
She quickly figured out that there are no other cats in the house. She explored twice. She walked up to me and gave one of those meows that rises sharply in pitch at the end. Typical question type meow. I put up one finger then pointed it to her and said, "just you." She rubbed the wall and started kneading floor. She was so excited. Oh, this also means that she is smarter than they gave her credit for.

I have to cut this short. I'm setting at my office desk watching the sun rise and wanting to run all the way home. I miss her already.

We have a cat again!

You don't have a cat.

The cat has you!

Congrats and pictures? Please?:D

Medusa
10-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Aw, Richard is right. She's got you right where she wants you. From your description, Cocoa sounds like the perfect name. I have a meezer w/the same markings and his name is Coco Puff. I hope you have many happy years together. Can't wait to see pix. :love:

Laura's Babies
10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I am squeeling with delight! It sounds like a match made in heaven to me. What a smart girl Cocoa is, she knew she was at that store waiting for you to come get her and it had to be YOU! This is a wonderful GOTCHA DAY story and one I will not forget.

CONGRATULATIONS COCOA! HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!

catmandu
10-28-2008, 09:47 AM
GOD BLESS YOU FOR GIVING THAT OLDER MEEZER:love::love: THE LOVE AND FURREVER HOME THAT SHE NEEDS SO BADLY.:cool::cool:YOUR KINDNESS WILL BE REPAIDMAY MANY TIMES OVER , WITH THE LOVE:love::love: THAT YOUR FRIEND COCCOA WILL SHOWER ON YOU,
AND YOU CAN FEEL THAT PRIDE:):)AS YOU HAVE SAVED HER LIFE.
CONCTAULATIONS ON YOUR NEW COMPANION.:love::love:

Karen
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
The world has settled back in its axis - there's a cat in your house again! She sounds like a complete charmer, and very smart! Congratulations.

Killearn Kitties
10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
What excellent news! I can't wait to see photos of that lucky girl when you find your camera. :D She sounds gorgeous.

BigCharles
10-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I still miss Fifi (RB 2006) and Lamoni (RB 2007). I always will.

I'm worried about Cocoa being all alone in the new house till 10:30 tonight. Yes she is one smart chunk. I practiced with Lamoni and he taught me the language. Cocoa looks at me thinking, "How does he know all this stuff?"

Oh, she has all her "weapons" too. We won't change that. (Learned my lesson :rolleyes: ) I'm looking for one of those rotary nail files like you see on TV. I can't wait "four to six weeks" and don't want anybody to use those old style "crimpers" :eek:

Indeed she has us. Would you be having any other way now?

KitCat
10-28-2008, 01:34 PM
My Cocoa Kitty approves of the new adoption and says, "Of course she's smart. She's Siamese!"

kb2yjx
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
What wonderful news!!! Many happy years together!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Awwwww, thank you much for giving an older cat a happy forever home!! You're the best :love:

piccies please:confused:;)

lvpets2002
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
:love: Aweee such a very sweet story.. Now I would say this furrpurr baby has you wrapped right around her wittle paws.. So greatfull that your heart went out for this baby.. Congrats on the kitty having your family as a furrever home..

Vermontcat
10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Congratulations on adding a beautiful Meezer girl to your house!:D
I recently added two to my house, you can see their picture in my signature.
I can't wait to see pictures of your new girl, she sounds just beautiful.:)

momtomany
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
How wonderful and congrats on the new addition. You have brightened my day by this wonderful news

BigCharles
10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Bad camera batteries. The shots without flash are all slightly blurred. I did not want to a face close up with flash. More pictures later.

Here is the first one.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/BigCharlesKC/Cocoa.jpg

"I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMill".
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/BigCharlesKC/CocoaFace.jpg

I'm not up to speed on this photo bucket thing. That and I'm at home and remoted into my office computer. One thing that I do know, if you use Internet Explorer 7 then get a copy of IE7Pro (http://http://www.ie7pro.com/). My boss at work turned me on to this thing. Spell check for my web posts is what I like best.

Grace
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Awww - she's beautiful. And I see she has discovered the most comfortable spot in the house.

RedHedd
10-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I love happy endings - Congratulations! Cocoa is beautiful!

AmberLee
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
ConCATulations. She's Beautiful!

Catty1
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
WOW - what a lovely lean and elegant girl! Yup, she has you trained...how can you and your wife resist such intelligence and glamour!

Does she have arthritis? Is there a kitty dose of glucosamine that might help? Then again - she's doing a pretty good curve and stretch in that grooming shot!:D

BigCharles
10-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Well as for her not being able to jump up, I thinks she has just been running game on folks. This morning I found her up on the couch. She got there BY HERSELF. She was stretched out on my lab coat.

{Side story: It's not really a lab coat. It's one of those "smocks" that the inspectors in food plants wear. I have it, name embroidered and everything, for when I go to trade shows. Lots of my customers are in the food business. It looks like the coat the vet wears.}

She is a bit touchy about her under belly. Well would you be comfortable with some guy you knew for just 3 1/2 days poking around your private areas. :eek: Don't answer that!

I suspect that it is her sharp and way too long claws that cause most of her problems getting up.

Barbara
10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
I am sure everyone of your customers will want cat hair in their food- we all know it's the ultimate spice:D
And there is quite a bit of chocolate in your Cocoa- she looks so pretty:love:

lvpets2002
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
:love: Aweee this baby is Adorable..

Don Juan's mom
10-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh, she has all her "weapons" too. We won't change that. (Learned my lesson :rolleyes: ) I'm looking for one of those rotary nail files like you see on TV. I can't wait "four to six weeks" and don't want anybody to use those old style "crimpers" :eek:

Indeed she has us. Would you be having any other way now?

Some Walgreens stores in our area have a section called "As Seen On TV," where you can find a lot of the gadgets touted on late-night infomercials (without paying S&H, of course). :)

Is she talking to you yet? Telling you what she wants and what to do and when to do it? ;)

Liz

BigCharles
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Been by the Walgreen's (as if we could live without them) but no luck. :(

Yes, she has begun to talk. She still does not quite get that Cindy is blind. They have had some collisions. Cocoa still thinks that Cindy is doing it on purpose.

Oh, she gets up and down from the couch just fine by herself. Especially if she thinks we are not looking. So much for the disabled cat. They also said that she does not drink water and had been getting all her water out of the Friskies shredded can food. Two days on Fancy Feast pate' and she drinks the water like a fish. The smaller cans are less waste as well. She was a bit flabby, well puffy, when we got her. She is trimming down and acts stronger.

We even think that her stools are clumping better. We are very careful about sharing our food. She will sample but does not like what we eat. She looks at us with that oh so familiar Mr. Spock look as if to say, "How can something that smells that good taste so bad?"

On the bad side I found out that she does not see very well out of the right eye. Any motion on that side provokes no reaction until caught out of the nose side of the left eye. She is not totally blind in that eye it just does not react unless she tries to see with it. Symptoms of past head trauma anyone?

She is a companion but not a playmate. Not yet anyway.

krazyaboutkatz
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
CONGRATS!!! She's gorgeous and I'm thrilled to hear that you now have a cat again.:)

I've seen the nail trimmers that you're talking about at Bed Bath and Beyond. They also sell many "As Seen On TV" things.;)

BigCharles
11-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Bed Bath and Beyond had the PediPaws. Got the thing itself, extra filing wheels, and batteries all on the same rack.

rg_girlca
11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm just seeing this thread now and what a lovely story. Congratulations on your beautiful meezer. Here's too many, many years of joy and love with Cocoa.