PDA

View Full Version : back from the dentist.....

carole
10-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Well where does one start, i was so nervous, felt ill really, however they were very nice at the new practice and she had no problem making the chair not too low as to ease my back pain,and i certainly was not rushed through, plenty of time explaining everything, i was getting a tooth re-filled that was originally a root canal,that had fallen out earlier last week.

Well i had my first digital xrays, Melissa told me how horrible they were and now i know what she meant, talk about nearly gagging and uncomfortable and take so long, still they are instant and less invasive for me ,so i guess worth it in the long run.

I decided she better xray the lot and see what is going on in my mouth, i was very disappointed to find i have two new little cavitys, only small, and one old one that is right at the back needing a full replacement, it did not show anything on the xrays, but i told her it always aches, and she scraped around it and ouch hit the nerve, consequently it is now aching much more,I also have a crack in the back tooth on the right side, top that off with a clean and polish and i will get no change out of over $1000.00 unbelievable, i am gutted, today already cost me 285 dollars.
Hubby and I had been saving hard for something for the house, a heat pump and that was going to be our installation costs taken care of, not going to be happening now,thanks to my silly old teeth.

One never seems to be able to get ahead, it just really puts me in a downer, i am feeling drained today,emotionally and physically, now i know why i HATE going to the dentist so much lol.

I discussed with her why every time i visit a dentist i seem to need some treatment these days, despite me taking good care of them, she suggested i have a saliva test done, this is another 98 dollars,but i think worth considering, as it could be my reason i am getting these problems and we can nip it in the bud, my medications could be the reason too, they alter the bacteria in your mouth.

I have to say she was indeed lovely,but i did feel rather depressed thinking about having to have it all done and the cost:eek: I was hoping for intravenous sedation next time and have the lot done together, but she does not do it,my old dentist did, but i can hardly go with my quote and ask him to do it , really can i? but she suggested some diazapam,(sp) now i want to ask has anyone taken this before for a dental procedure, i am very sensitive to medications, and am worried it might make me feel like a zombie, sure it will relax me, but maybe too much,so please give my your opinions please.

Anyhow thanks for listening and David i remembered you were holding my hand, but did ya have to squeeze it so tightly, lol.

davidpizzica
10-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Sorry, Sis. I guess I had a much firmer grip than I thought. Dentistry is always expensive and Pittsburgh prayers are coming that you will overome this financial bind that the dentists put you in. Next time I'll try to just touch your shoulder, it's cheaper!

Laura's Babies
10-28-2008, 09:07 AM
I hate going to the dentist too and I find they are beyond expensive $$$$! They always want to go the most expensive route and way overcharge for what they do...(in my opinion)

carole
10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Bro it is cool, it was comforting knowing you were there lol:D

Yes well i had to fill in the usual form being a new patient with all my medical history etc, one question was would you like your teeth whiter, so i answered yes, i was not blessed with white teeth, more the cream tonings,big mistake , she spent about ten mins explaining all about it and adding it in my quote, well at over 1300 dollars, i am just not interested, i pretended i was listening, when in actual fact i had switched off when i saw the price, little does she know i am struggling to find the finances to get the much needed treatment.

Well i gave myself a months grace, we only have one store card, it is a shop called Farmers here, and they accept that, so i put it on there, will pay it all off next month as to avoid any interest, then i guess it is hubbys bonus which has not come yet, but due soon and the savings for the heat pump, bye bye.

It is about time Dentistry was government subsidized as for the average joe it just is not affordable,sadly our health insurance does not cover that, we could not afford the more expensive cover, only have surgical cover for operations,honestly at the moment i feel like getting the whole lot pulled and getting dentures, i am so sick of ongoing treatment, especially as i take care of my teeth meticulously,but i know that would be plain dumb on my part.

Well let's hope the saliva test is not a waste of money, and i can get some preventative measures in place as to avoid all of this.

I am also told that the original root canal i had done on this particular tooth, should have been done to the very end,and was not,but luckily everything is ok there, thank goodness.

I will have to get the treatment one month at a time to afford it,be better to get it all done at once, but that is how it is, be less stressful for me, she said i could have water laser treatment on the small decayed teeth, but would need these rubber bands and something else that can be quite uncomfortable, she recommended a local, eek i hate those things, so much, but at least she said she puts numbing cream on first, never had that before, so hope that is better.

Right now i just want to hop into bed for a sleep and forget about all of it.:):)

caseysmom
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I hate going to the dentist too, I hope you feel better.

carole
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks, i will get over it, at least i am in no pain, that is really what matters, isn't it? just feeling sorry for myself,please bear with me lol.:)