PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance - Need YOUR Help!

k9krazee
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Okay, another english paper, this one is about insurance for your pet. If you could just answer these questions it would be awesome and you'd all be my favorite people in the whole world! :p

1) How do you usually pay for vet care? (Credit, Fund specifically for pets, Savings, etc)

2) Do you have pet insurance? Why/Why not?

3) Do you feel knowledgable about the topic of pet insurance? Would you like to be better informed?

This is a my "semester project" (I have to write 3 papers on this topic) so I might keep adding questions to this thread to get feedback, any answers would be helpful and the more the better!

Thanks! :D

Casper
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
1) How do you usually pay for vet care? (Credit, Fund specifically for pets, Savings, etc)
We have money set back especially for all of our pet expenses (food, vet bills, etc.).

No, we feel that we have enough money to cover vet expenses.

3) Do you feel knowledgable about the topic of pet insurance? Would you like to be better informed?
No, to tell you the truth, I don't know much at all about pet insurance. I am sure it wouldn't hurt for me to learn more about it. :)

Good luck on your papers!

Taz_Zoee
10-26-2008, 03:36 PM
1. Credit, if I don't have enough in my bank account. I am going to be looking into Care Credit that many places offer for Taz's surgery.

2. We do not have pet insurance. We looked into it when we first got Zoee, but it wasn't beneficial. Recently my vet gave me info on a different insurance. But that's Bruce's job to research and he hasn't done it yet. :rolleyes:

3. I do not feel very knowledgable about pet insurance. I could always use more information on this topic.

Sorry, not very interesting answers for ya.

ramanth
10-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Would prefer to use savings but more often than not, we use credit.

I figured both dogs have now what would be considered "existing conditions" and so the cost of insurance wouldn't be affordable for us.

Semi informed. Looked into it after both Kia and Chipper's severe illnesses. Decided it wasn't for us and just went on with life as usual.

carole
10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I hope it is ok for me to answer since i am from NZ.

We pay for kitties vet treatment via savings, i nominate a certain amount each month for them, if we go over it, we just have to go into overdraft on our account, simply as that.

No i do not have pet insurance, cannot afford it with four kitties,and besides it only covers certain things and cats up to certain ages, once they are over ten i think it is they are not covered by a lot of things.

I am quite well informed about pet insurance, having sent for a brochure, as i was considering it at one time, but just found it not possible on our income.

Hope that helps some.:)

Craftlady
10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
credit card. However, now we have the "CareCredit" which is no interest if you pay off the bill within a certain time frame.

I had it on all four cats, it was getting to expensive. Started out great but every year went up and I wasnt getting reinbursed back what I paid out in vet bills. However, I do have a policy on Coco (our dog) and that policy from same company pays me back way better. I will see if the premium goes up next year when he turns 1 year old.

I've had pet insurance for over 6 yrs and feel very knowledgeable about the workings of the insurance.

Cinder & Smoke
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
... you'd all be my favorite people in the whole world! :p

"Routine Vet Visits" come out of the general household funds - not
a
"special account" just for the FurKids.
Now, lil Mini-Mutt's *million dollar Paw rebuild* was a bit of a *shocker* -
but nobody had to eat paenut butter to get her fixed up.

NO.
Why Not?
* It's a lot of money spent for some very limited paybacks. Most "conditions" have
limits, both yearly and life-time, that may not fully cover the required procedures.
* Pre-existing conditions aren't usually covered.
* Lower-priced policies often do not cover some conditions.

Not fully knowledgable, as in being an expert; but I HAVE done some
research and reviewed a few policies in the past.

YES - I can acceptmore information on the subject.

/s/ Phred

caseysmom
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
answers 1 and 2 are combined since they coorelate. I do have pet insurance but it is just for the routine maintenance and teeth cleaning... most visits I pay nothing.

If an illness comes up I pay for meds and extra things like xrays, the exam is covered, I think I break even I just pay a bit every month.

krazyaboutkatz
10-27-2008, 12:10 AM
1) How do you usually pay for vet care? (Credit, Fund specifically for pets, Savings, etc) Usually by credit unless the bill isn't very much. I don't have a fund specifically for my pets.

No, but I used to when I had 4 cats. It got to be very expensive and then I learned that someone in the company had stolen a lot peoples credit card information so I had to cancel 2 of the credit cards that I had been using. It also doesn't pay for pre-existing conditions.

I feel fairly knowledgable but I'm sure that I could always learn more about it.

cyber-sibes
10-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Usually just write a check, I budget for routine care s the funds are there when it's time for vaccinations, meds, etc. We've used credit for emergency care.

Yes, we bought it after racking up nearly $2,000 in 45 days just for diagnositic testing & limited treatment on last year on Sherman. We went with a policy that covers emergencies & diagnostics, but it doesn't cover routine or dental. With the costs of vet care going up like it is, I think it's worth having ins.. We can cover both dogs for several years for a lot less than we spent in that 45 days during a crisis.
We studied several different policies, picked what best fit our situation, but I'm sure there's a lot more we could learn about it.

This is a my "semester project" (I have to write 3 papers on this topic) so I might keep adding questions to this thread to get feedback, any answers would be helpful and the more the better!

Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]

Ginger's Mom
10-27-2008, 06:13 AM
I used to pay by check or credit card. However, in the beginning of this year I when I decided to add another dog to the family, I opened up an account just for the dogs needs, and have been using that for their food and health costs.
Unfortunately, it is just too expensive. I have not had any instances where I have wished that I have had it (knock wood), so I haven't felt the need to put out that much money monthly. The less expensive plans, don't cover enough for me to feel it is worthwhile, and the ones that can really be helpful are much too expensive.
I am sure there are plans out there with which I am not familiar. I am always willing to learn more on animal/pet topics.

emily_the_spoiled
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I either pay cash or charge it (and pay the balance off at the end of the month)
No. Most of the cats I have are considered special needs. Since pet insurance is medically underwritten it is unlikely any of them would even qualify. If they did, the rates would be very expensive.
I feel knowledgable, but it never hurts to learn more :D

K9karen
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM
90% of the time, by check, otherwise credit card

Yes. I like to be prepared in case of an emergency.I feel that getting something back is better than nothing. When RB Cody was extremely ill, the insurance paid more than half.

Yes, I think I can be better informed. The policy and rules keep changing

k9krazee
10-27-2008, 11:54 PM
You guys are great! Keep 'em coming! :D

And if anybody wants a signature out of the deal, I'd be more than happy to make you one. Just PM me. :)

jenluckenbach
10-28-2008, 05:28 AM
From my checking account. If it is too large (Like the $700 surgery) I used credit.

Too many pets to cover. Also, even I don't have health insurance!!! And paying constantly for the monthly premiums....well, I'd rather just save that money for use later.

I am not overly knowledgeable, but NO, more info would not change my mind on buying it.

ChrisH
10-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Cash, debit card (don't have a credit card any more, hate the damn things).

2) Do you have pet insurance?
Yes. For both my dog and cat.
However it doesn't cover dental, annual shots or flea/worm treatments and has a £60 excess on each. But does cover vet's fees, death from Accident/Illness, Advertising & Reward if pet goes missing, Theft or Straying, Accidental Damage (£100 excess) and if I have to go in hospital for over a few days, Boarding Fees. Also various being abroad/holiday related cover.
Cover for my dog also includes, Bereavement counselling, Pet Legal Helpline, Veterinary Helpline

Why?
I am not a great believer in insurance and dislike money going out each month for maybe nothing, but, as we all know, serious accident and illness in pets can cost a small fortune. Putting that money aside each month would never ever be enough to cover such eventualities.

3) Do you feel knowledgeable about the topic of pet insurance?
Pretty much. Especially this year as the insurer I was using for cover of my dog put the prices up by nearly 40% when he turned 10, I had to do some searching to find a new insurer who would give good cover at a reasonable cost.

pitc9
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
1) How do you usually pay for vet care? (Credit, Fund specifically for pets, Savings, etc) Credit Card if I don't have the money in the bank.

2) Do you have pet insurance? Why/Why not? No, I've looked into it, but can't make my mind up if it's really worth it or not.

3) Do you feel knowledgable about the topic of pet insurance? Would you like to be better informed. I've read a lot on the different type and levels of pet care coverage, I feel I could make an informed choice.... if I could just MAKE my mind up!! LOL! There is a LOT of information out there on pet insurance, the companies make it easy to find all the info you need.