PDA

View Full Version : Sarafina had her babies. new pictures.

jenluckenbach
10-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Sarafina has had 5 babies, this evening. I don't think she is done. :eek: And I am not sure how good a mom she is going to be. :( when I got to her room this evening, she had 2 babies in her nest andthey were getting cold. And she had 2 babies in her litter box, all covered in litter. I got them out, wiped them off and found that none of the afterbirths were cleaned off. Well, I never dealt with that before, so uncertain what to do I just cut them off leaving a couple inches of umbilical cord on the babies. then I got them onto a heating pad and tried to get them warmed up. All while I am doing this, Sarafina is having another baby!

After we got that one wiped off a bit I convinced mom to come onto the heat pad and care for her babies. She licked them only half heartedly, but stayed while I treid to get them to nurse.

The 2 blacks must have been born first. A grey next and then 2 whites. The whites seem the weakest. Here is the photo of this first 5 I quickly snapped.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Sarafina-1st-5-on10-24-08.jpg

And like I said, I really don't think she is done. I need to be in bed SOON! even though I'd love to stay up to see if I can be of help to her. (I am SOOOOO not a night person) I pray that they survive and she cares for them properly.

Le tme throw in 2 photos from yesterday. See how fat??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Sarafina-family005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Sarafina-10-23-08.jpg

Pray for these little ones. I hope Sarafina cn be the great mom Angelica has been.

Catty1
10-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Gosh, I HOPE so! Can Charlie check on them at all?

I hope she starts to nurse them.

The litter box....being so young I wonder if she responded to the contractions by going to the litter box? I've heard of the occasional young mom cat being confused. :(

Prayers that the MOM instinct kicks in soon.

sasvermont
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Sounds as though she could use your help. What about putting the weaker ones with the other mother cat? Would she accept them as her own? Yikes. :confused:

Medusa
10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh boy, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully the babies are ok; maybe she instinctively knows something. My Pidge came to me when she was in labor and she had 3 kittens, two of them stillborn and the other she refused to have anything to do with and it died w/in hours. This may not be the same thing but you might have Charlie watch them during the night if you can't. I hope everything is ok and that Sarafina is just a confused mom.

Catty1
10-24-2008, 09:27 PM
gosh, Jen - there is a PTr near you, isn't there? Sheesh, can't recall her name....darn it!

Get the bottles warmed up....

PT PRAYERS for Serafina and her babies!

Laura's Babies
10-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Good luck babies, we are all rooting for you! Hope Sarafia figures out what she is suppose to do! Prayers for the babies and their Mom.

jennielynn1970
10-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Why not try to have Angelica help them out, since she is there and just had kittens too. I mean, they do do that, take kittens from other litters and nurse. If she doesn't want anything to do with them, I'd definitely try Angelica, so they at least get a better shot at surviving.

jenluckenbach
10-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Sorry to worry everyone. But I am glad to report that all SIX babies are doing fine this morning. She had #6 late last night. (I did check on her during the night at a "potty break") She still did not clean the afterbirth, but she cared for the baby and that's all that mattered.

I am 100% ready to bottle feed any if she doesn't have enough mild or working nipples.

And I actually DID try Angelica as a foster mom immediately when I though Sarafina was disinterested, but Angelica just ignored them. :( She may have taken them on in time, but I was afraid to just leave them with her. So I coaxed Sarafina and am glad I did.

thanks for the prayers, I am certain they are what helped her through the night,.

pitc9
10-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Glad to hear things are starting to get better.

Come on Sarafina... we know you didn't want to be a mommy... but you need to help your babies! Don't worry sweetie, you'll never have to do this again!!

Laura's Babies
10-25-2008, 09:31 AM
GREAT news! SIX babies...WOW! That's a pile of babies! Can't wait to see them grow, I hope they all stay happy and healthy.

catmandu
10-25-2008, 09:44 AM
WE ARE PRAYING FOR THOSE SIX BABIES, JEN.:love::love:
I REMEMBER WHAT A GOOD MOMMA POUNCETTE WAS YET AT TIMES SHE SEEMED NOT TO CARE EITHER.
BUT SHE WAS ALWAYS:love::love:THERE WHEN THEY MEEEEWED AND WERE HUNGRY AND COLD.:love::love:
I KNOW THAT SARAFINA WILL BE A GOOD MOMMA:love::love:WE CANT WAIT TO SEE THE LITTLE WONDERS GROW.:cool::cool:

Catty1
10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh good....I hope the white ones are ok, as they were the weakest, you said.

It's OK Sarafina - you are very young yourself...think of it as raising playmates for later. ;):love:

I'm glad she is feeding them. That one pic of her - maybe it was because of all the kittens she was carrying, but she looked thin! I bet she's eating a lot!

I thought of Sarafina when I went to bed, on a potty break, and when I woke up...I knew there would be news this morning....SO relieved it is good!

Barbara
10-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh my Sarafina- six babies- I think you couldn't believe it. I hope you get a little bit happier about them every day.:)

Medusa
10-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Wow, 6 babies would overwhelm anyone! I'm glad that things are going rather smoothly now. I'll betcha that Sarafina will turn out to be a good mom after all. We'll seal it w/prayer, though. ;)

Taz_Zoee
10-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Aww, good girl Sarafina. :) What color was baby #6?

Catty1
10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Black and white in each litter....methinks daddy cat was two-timing! ;):D

kb2yjx
10-25-2008, 12:55 PM
WOW JEN!!!! That is a lot of babies!! Glad that Sarafina has started to take an interest. Will send a few prayers along, just in case....

jenluckenbach
10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
So far, so good. :D All babies reporting in doing well when I got home from work. Maybe the problem was that I caught Sarafina in the MIDDLE of childbirth. Something I never experienced before (all my experience is with mom doing and finishing the deed late in the night and before morning) So mayb she was concentrating on the NEXT baby too much to help the ones born before. :confused:

But whatever the case, she is doing well now. All look "fat". and #6 was another white one. ;)

Kirsten
10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow, six babies! :eek:

I'm glad that the kittens and their mother are fine! :)

It's such a beautiful litter! :)

Kirsten

phesina
10-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh, thank God that all are well and Mommy is nursing them!

Prayers continue for the lot of you.

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm glad to hear that all 6 babies are doing well.:) I used to think that every cat had at least 5-6 babies because this is what our family cat had. She had 6 orangies in her first litter and 5 orangies in her second litter. Both she and the father were also orange. I'm sure that these babies will thrive with your excellent care. Good luck.:)

Husky_mom
10-25-2008, 07:31 PM
lovley kitties!!... glad they are all doing fine...

two blacks, one grey and then three whites... me thinks she ran out of ink... LOL...

baby grey is soooo cute!!!

jenluckenbach
10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
New photos.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Sarafina-family10-25-08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Sarafina-babies10-25-08.jpg

I still worry about the littlest white baby. He seems OK, but I just don't know if he's nursing well. So keep these babies on your thoughts.

I tried syringe feeding him. Not much luck, though. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get the hang of it. And then again, maybe he was just full.

Moesha
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Baby kitties everywhere!!!

Barbara
10-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Sending my best thoughts especially for little whitey and for all the others:)

Laura's Babies
10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
She looks so sweet laying there with all those babies... The contrast of black and white is just so pretty!

jenluckenbach
10-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Babies are good this morning, but mom is sick. I started her on meds for URI and also gave some diarrhea meds. I hope she can kick this cold soon. Poor kid....she's having a rough time of it.

Kirsten
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear the mommy is not well. :( I saw in the pictures that apart from her baby belly, she looked very skinny. Hope she'll be alright! Get well soon, Sarafina!

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
OMG, I almost fainted seeing all these cute & tiny kittens :eek::)
I wish I could give them all a gentle cuddle (the momcat too of course :D)

jennielynn1970
10-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Poor Sarafina. She's probably all out of energy too, which won't help the immune system. Hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Those kittens are just too darn cute!

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 04:47 PM
A gray one! Will it be Eloise or Edgar?

catfamily
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
i'm really sorry i missed this thread...what a bunch of beautiful babies!!!
you have your work cut out for you!

Vermontcat
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
What adorable babies!:D
I'm glad that Sarafina safely had her kittens at your house, I hope she starts to feel better soon.
You have a house full of cuteness overload with 11 new kittens now.:D
Give hugs and kisses to all the new kittens for me.:)

jazzcat
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow, six babies. Too much cuteness! Glad they are doing okay and I hope the littlest one is eating well and momma is feeling better.

jenluckenbach
10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/babies.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Awwww.....

That's an awww.... for hearing that mama's not feeling well, and an awwwww....for the cuteness!

If anyone can get mama fixed back up quick as can be I'm sure it's you, Jen. :)

Husky_mom
10-27-2008, 04:25 PM
hoping mom gets better soon...

adorable babies!!.. all of them...Sarafina´s and Angellica´s... what a houseful of whities.. ;)

nancys
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh they are cute! Is Sarafina taking care of them? When my Mollie June had her last litter of kittens she acted confused and didn't atke care of them at first either. I put her & the babies in a carrier and put it in a quiet place and than she was fine.

jenluckenbach
10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Sarafina is doing very well. She still has diarrhea, though. I guess we'll change medications and try something else. All babies are happy. :love:

momtomany
10-28-2008, 07:13 PM
What beautiful babies..........oh my I am in love:love: