PDA

View Full Version : PBS online poll posted...Sarah Palin is qualified?

Catty1
10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Got this in an email at work:

PBS has an online poll posted asking if Sarah Palin is qualified. We're told the right wing is flooding it with Yes votes. The poll will be reported on PBS and likely picked up by mainstream media.

Voting takes about two seconds:

1) Click on link and vote: http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html

2) Pass it on.

Lady's Human
10-24-2008, 03:59 PM
So send out the email so the left wing can flood the site, making the poll about as useful as any other online poll.

Catty1
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
LH - if you click "About the Sarah Palin Poll" - the first line below the results - there's an interesting bit there about who has multiple voting capabilities, and who has cookies on theirs (as PBS did on this one). Any person can only vote once, pretty much.

It can still be slanted, I agree...but it's not quite as easy. As they say, this poll WILL be referred to in the media, even though it plainly states it is not scientific - and the lead has gone back and forth between the L and the R.

lizbud
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
So send out the email so the left wing can flood the site, making the poll about as useful as any other online poll.

Well, I almost agree with you on the futile nature of circulating a poll, I believe the" Right" would most likely be the targeted group.

Edwina's Secretary
10-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I can't believe this "poll" will be given any more credence than the How Citizens of Other Countries Would Vote poll is.

A real poll is conducted in a very specific way. This is just another internet game.

Karen
10-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Almost all online polls say, in the fine print, that "this is not a scientifically valid poll" as by their very nature, people can choose to vote in an online poll, or to ignore it entirely, every website has its own particular viewership demographics, and so the polls just make people feel like they are making a difference.

catland
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Having formerly worked in the market research field, I agree with Karen and ES, these are not valid polls and their results are meaningless.