PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR DOGS HISTORY?

jackiesdaisy1935
05-22-2001, 12:42 PM
I was looking through the web about Mini Schnauzers. They were bred early in the 19th century in Germany as ratters. They were descended from the Standard Schnauzer, the Affenpincher and a little of the Poodle. ( Guess Daisy is black from the affenpincher)
They were named Schnauzers after the word for muzzle in German which is "Schnauze"
They come in Pepper and Salt, Black, Silver and Black and White.

TollSettFK
05-23-2001, 09:13 AM
Yup, I know a little about my dog to be's history:my little Tollar. It has some flatcoated retriever, some Irish Setter, Some labrador retriever, some spitzes and another other dog, but I don't know how in the world to spell it, but I know it's job is Tolling, just like in the Tolars back round. Good quesition! It's interesting!

Rottie
05-23-2001, 02:16 PM
The history of the Rottweiler was not very well documented. It is common "fact" that they descended from Roman mastiffs while they were out conquering the world. But, many Rottie experts disagree. Some believe that the Rottweiler descended from the Swiss Mountain Dogs, (Bernese Mt. Dog, Greater Swiss Mt. Dog, and there are two more that I can't remember), still others believe that the Rottweiler came from the Tibetan Mastiff. Who knows???? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

*LabLoverKEB*
05-23-2001, 11:05 PM
I know A LOT about my dog's history! For starters, Sadie is a Black Labrador Retriever! Waterproof, water-loving, affable, gregarious, and family oriented- a delicious range of adjectives describes one of the world's most popular family companions. The Labrador onced worked from the shores of the granite-rocked inlets of the Newfoundland coast, retrieving the cork floats of fishing nets and swimming them ashore, so that fisherman could pull in the fish-filled nets. Today, this steadfast breed is the quintessence of the agreeable canine memberof the human family. Dispite this, the Labrador Retriever is one of the most loyal and dependable breeds in the world. Breed history: One of the world's most popular breeds, the Labrador Retriever traces its orgins back to the St. John's region of Newfoundland, Canada. There it was known as the "Small Water Dog", to differentiate it from the larger Newfoundland. Trade in salted cod brought the breed to the port of Poole in Dorset, England, where local landowners acquired specimens and refined their breeding for use as gundogs. That's only a quarter of what I know about Labrador Retrievers!

------------------
***Sadie May and LabLover***

Sudilar
05-24-2001, 10:28 AM
German Shepherds are very intelligent, responsive dogs. Originally bred to make most of their own decisions as herding dogs, German Shepherds have the ability to think for themselves and, therefore, will assume the leadership role if not trained in obedience and given firm rules that are not to be broken. They take to obedience training quite well and excel as guide dogs, assistance dogs for the physically challenged, search and rescue dogs, police patrol dogs, narcotics dogs, agility dogs, etc.

Because they are territorial and protective, German Shepherds are natural guard dogs. They instinctively protect their home and family from danger.
When adult shepherds are adopted, they should be kept under close supervision for about a month as they may try, out of loyalty, to escape in search of former owners before bonding to you. (HOW SAD!)

German Shepherds are energetic dogs and need routine exercise. A brisk half hour walk about twice a day is needed unless they are given a lot of interactive playtime by their owners on a daily basis.

They need to be socialized well and early in lots of different physical environments. They are naturally aloof with strangers, and some can be a bit suspicious of strangers if not exposed to people outside the family at an early age. Some shepherds are overly aggressive, and some are very shy. Although it can be genetic, this usually is due to poor or no training. A stable shepherd is a true best friend--extremely loyal, intelligent, affectionate, protective and responsive.

Properly socialized, shepherds are usually excellent with children, affectionate and loving with their families, accepting of family friends, aloof with strangers, and good with cats if raised with them. Shepherds need a lot of human companionship. They should never be chained outside or kenneled as they will suffer emotionally.

German Shepherds usually live approximately 10-12 years though many have lived to 14 or 15.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information on the German Shepherd Dog Breed was supplied by Project Breed Directory- Green Book Edition,

Westie Woman
05-24-2001, 05:47 PM
West Highland White Terriers were bred in Scotland. Breeders would take the white puppies that Carin terriers sometimes bore, and then breed them together to make the Westie. They were bred to be easily seen on the Scottish moors with their white coats. They have a natural hunting instinct for small animals.

Daisy's Mom
05-24-2001, 08:29 PM
I found this at www.dogbreedinfo.com (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com) I knew all of this already though - I did my homework before I got Daisy! I love how Basset comes from the French word 'bas,' which means low! A perfect name for a short droopy hound!

"The name Basset Hound comes from the French word "bas" meaning low. Some sources suggest the Basset Hound may have originated from genetic dwarf dogs presented in litters of other types of French hunting hounds, however, we do know that it is a rather old breed, descended directly from the Bloodhound. Shakespeare described the Basset Hound with the following poetic image: "Ears which sweep away the morning due." According to research, the true fame of the Basset Hound began in 1863, when it was presented at the Paris Dog Show. Its popularity spread to England where a lively dispute arose between two factions of breeders: Those who wanted to keep the Basset Hound a hunting dog, and those who wanted to transform it into a companion dog. Situated between these two factions were the American breeders who proceeded to develop an extremely pleasing companion dog without sacrificing any of the qualities of the hunter. The breed was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1885. Its natural bent is for hunting both in the den and in the open. It is therefore, used for the hunting of fox, hare, opossum, and pheasant. Bassets can hunt in packs or alone. It has an excellent sense of smell, but its reflexes are a bit slow. Their slow pace is convenient for hunters on foot and keeps game from being scared out of reach. The Basset's nose is second in keenness only to a Bloodhound's. George Washington owned Basset Hounds given to him by Lafayette after the American Revolution. "

Pam
05-24-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally the poodle was used in Germany and France as a retriever of waterfowl. Hunters clipped the dog's thick coat to help him swim, leaving hair on the leg joints to protect them from extreme cold and sharp reeds. The French capitalized on the breed's high intelligence, trainability and innate showmanship and made the Poodle into a circus performer. His great popularity in that country led to the breeds common name "French Poodle."

------------------
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/ZK/fV/Wc/Sd74524.jpg

Angels3
05-24-2001, 09:42 PM
I'm learning so much about the history of dog breeds from the posts on this topic.
The Tibetan Spaniel originated in the buddhist monasteries of Tibet where they were greatly honoured by the monks who believed that the spirits of dead monks returned in these little dogs. It is said that the tibbies turned prayer wheels, just like the monks did. They also were great bed warmers in the cold climate & sometimes the monks wore the smaller tibbies in their sleeves as sleeve-warmers.
The tibbies were so valued by the monks, that only other buddhist monasteries or royal courts of asia were allowed to own them. Tibet's borders were closed to foreigners for centuries so it was not until the early 20th century that English visitors were able to bring some of the dogs to the West. Today, tibbies are a much-loved breed in many countries.
Even tho' they are called 'Spaniels', they are not a spaniel...that just seemed to be the nearest description that westerners could think of for these unusual little dogs. Tibbies have a special temperament...in the East , they were said to be 1/3 cat (self-possessed & calm), 1/3 dog (loyal & loving) & 1/3 monkey (intelligent & fun- loving). That's why tibbie owners become so attached to the breed. To learn more about Tibetan Spaniels, go to http://www.tibbies.net
Tibetan Spaniels are the small breed of Tibet, Tibetan Terriers are medium-sized (& look a bit like smaller Old English Sheepdogs), & Tibetan Mastiffs are the big fellows...but they have beautiful, calm faces .