PDA

View Full Version : THAT's IT... i'm dying my hair

sparks19
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
LOL

I am going gray... ALREADY. I'm only 27 years old. Heck yes I am in denial lol.

maybe I'll go RED :)

sirrahbed
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
It is always fun to experiment with haircolor!! I have had mine highlighted and lowlighted for the past 6-8 years or so and that works well for me because the pale blonde highlights get mixed in with the grey:) Plus having a variety of colors means no roots ever really show - no dividing line - the more colors the better and more natural looking!! Red sounds fun too! My last lowlights were an auburn color and I really like them - gives the hair a chocolatey reddish look without being RED y'now? The only downside is that red colors fade pretty quickly. Will you post pictures when you are done?

GARNIER NUTRISSE NOURISHING MULTI-LIGHTS HAIR COLOR HIGHLIGHTING KIT is a kit I was looking at this week - may try it. The color (I think) was called cinnamon swirl and had a pale auburn in it. Anyway - That kit looked interesting to me. Are you going to do this yourself?

Husky_mom
10-23-2008, 02:14 PM
red is fun!!.. IŽd like to get it again.. but it does fade so fast on my hair... and i donŽt wanna redo it every week.... I did used soem manic panic in a few strands and it did last longer and washed out faster that regular dye... so I might try it again but on more hair not just strands ...;)

take pics and show us!!

sparks19
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
well my hair has a naturally reddish tone to it so hopefully the red dye will stick around lol

I will definitely post pics.

Now my only problem... i was going to donate my hair to locks of love but I don't think they accept dyed hair. So if my hair isn't long enough yet I will have to wait.

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi, Locks of Love will not accept dyed hair (sorry).

But I can tell you that I have dyed my hair auburn for a number of years and because the shade is so close to my natural highlights people don't realize I dye my hair :D

caseysmom
10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Go blond it is the easiest...you are just lifting the color...I use Loreal cuz I am worth it!

Husky_mom
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
one time I checked locks of love web and it said they did accept dyed hair...

hereŽs the link to the page that says it.. it wasnŽt accepted before but now it is.. so you can still donate ;)

http://www.locksoflove.org/donate.html

carole
10-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I have been dying my hair for some years now, and at nearly 51 i am now very gray,but i was finding irritation to my scalp, so was residing myself to staying that way, but since then i have been having my hair done professionally, the one treat i am going to allow myself in my more senior years now and ahead, i get loreal highlights especially for gray hair, and they are fabulous, sure it cost a bit, but honestly after dying my hair myself for years, i would never again, it is worth the hurt to the pocket, i get it done every three months, and sure by then, they are well needing it,but i am not worried if people see i am going gray,just prefer it when it is not that colour, so if you can afford it,i would highly recommend it,i have tried highlight kits and i think they look bad, anyhow that is just my opinion.:)

Medusa
10-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey, don't feel bad. I had lots of gray hair at 23, so I colored it blonde and when the gray grows in, it mixes w/the blonde and no one can tell. My sister was totally gray at 17. My parents both grayed late in life, mom in her 60's and dad in his 70's. So in this case, it's the parents that caused the kids gray hairs! :rolleyes:

pomtzu
10-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Heck - I don't even bother. What you see is what you get!!! :eek: My hair is medium/light brown with lots of gray, but everyone thinks I frost it. Nope - not me - Mother Nature does it free of charge! :D

Queen of Poop
10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
If it makes you feel any better I started going grey at 17 and have been coloring ever since. I'm almost 43 now.

jennielynn1970
10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I found my first gray at the age of 13. I was a bit upset. I've been coloring my hair for years, although I don't think I'd be all gray yet. I hope not anyway. I haven't let my hair grow out without coloring it for years. Scary thought!

I did go red a few times, a few not planned, lol. My hair tends to lift red/orange really easily (I was a redhead as a little kid). Not sure how yours is, but keeping red is tough, but getting rid of it when you don't like it, is a *****.

Suki Wingy
10-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Hair dye is fun. :)

I tried to dye my hair grey, but it wouldn't take and turned out light blonde. I guess my hair wasn't bleached out light enough first.

catnapper
10-24-2008, 07:36 AM
I've been gray since my early 20's, so I know what you mean! Whatever you do, if you've got a lot of gray already, don't go red, as the white hairs pick it up like a sponge and its RED.:eek: I've tried many times over the years, and anything with red tint comes up red. Auburn? Red! Chestnut? Red! I think there's a thread here within the past year where my hair turned pink.:eek: :eek: :eek:

kuhio98
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
My father was completely gray at 23. I found my first gray hair at 18! Instead of dying it, for a lot of years I used henna. I was afraid to do anything permanent. Henna would highlight the gray hairs and make them a reddish color. (I chose the red henna because my hair has a lot of red in it naturally). Anyway, it could be an option for you for while. Henna is natural and will wash out relatively quickly. My hair always felt and looked healthier after using it.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
From what I've been told my mother in law was almost completely grey by age 20 (well, her roots were). She started dying her hair at 17 when she already had a good bit of grey. My husband is 26 and about 50% grey.

sparks19
10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Kuhio... a friend of mine just recommended Henna to me today.

I think I am going to give that a try. :)

Husky_mom
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
one thign to consider...

one you use henna.. most if not all hair dyes do not recommend their usage (hair dye, not henna itself) if you have used henna on your hair... youŽd have to let it grow off or cut it off...

not sure about chemical reaction or something... many people seem quite content with henna though