PDA

View Full Version : Need help re: Dog Collars

catfancier
10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if you very lovely people would be able to help me out by answering me a question or two:

Do you buy dog collars based on the type of 'work' your dog does? I.e., if you have a rottweiler who you use (primarily as a pet but) as a guard dog, what type of collar would you buy for it? And why?

Or, would you buy a collar based on your dog's breed?

Or, if neither of the above, do you buy collars based on what you like or what you think suits your dog?

And lastly, how often do you buy collars for your dog/s?

Thanks very much :)

Twisterdog
10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I buy collars because they are cute.

I buy new ones when the old ones get eaten.

Taz_Zoee
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I buy them because they are cute too. And it doesn't even make a difference because Zoee's hair covers it up anyway. :p

wolf_Q
10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I buy rolled leather collars for the huskies. I buy them for functional purposes. They are hardy, strong, and durable and they don't tangle the fur as much as some other collars. You can't see collars under all their fur anyway so I don't bother buying "cute" collars. Plus I don't like snap collars for them with the risk of them running away. Skya has a cute snap collar right now because she's small and her fur is shorter, when she's older she'll get a rolled leather. Sydney gets all kinds of collars, I buy hers just based on if I like the way the collar looks on her. She probably gets 2-3 new ones per year. Nebo has had the same collar for around 4-5 years, I think I'll get him a new one soon (but its still in great shape...its Hamilton brand if anyone is wondering). Keva has had hers for about a year and a half...I need to get her a new one too, I bought it a little big when she was about 6 months old thinking she'd grow into it but she never did. It's not as well made as the Hamilton one either.

Cinder & Smoke
10-20-2008, 11:13 PM
I buy rolled leather collars for the huskies.

Hamilton brand if anyone is wondering.

Hamilton Products, Inc.
Ocala, FL

http://www.hamiltonproducts.com/leather.htm

http://www.hamiltonproducts.com/images/products/newleather/rolledcollar.gif

;)

cali
10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I have an obbession with fancy collars lol, I buy new collars when one catches my eye and I can afford it. and type of collars depends on it I like it or not. I usually go for Martingale but thats mostly because the collars that catch my eye are usually martingales. I dont usually choose the collar for the dog, I usually pick the collars and Like and give it to the dog it suits best, the exeption is Rustys martingale which is just thin and plain, that one was chosen very specific for him, thin and plain so that I would not have to removed his collar(and consiquently his tags) when he wears his e-collar.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I buy collars either for function, or just because I like they way they look. Usually the latter - I get bored easily with just one collar, so when I see one I like and have some extra money, I buy another. Not sure how often. This year I think I've bought one new collar, maybe two.

All of my dogs wear martingales out in public, for training, etc. Keira's been alternating b/w a martingale and a prong lately for re-learning how to loose-leash walk (she's going through a phase in which she couldn't care less about any previous training or what we have to say to her). The prong's only been used these last two weeks though, and already I barely have to use it and we're about 95% back to just using her martingale.

Around the house they all have regular collars for ID purposes. Rolled leather for Winston and Spring, flat leather for Dance at the moment, and flat nylon for Ki.

Suki Wingy
10-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I try not to buy too many collars, but I can never just stick with one. I ended up picking one that looks nice on Niņo but is also very functional. It's my favorite color, which I also think looks nice on him. (Sort of the color of the Orca tank at SeaWorld) and it's some waterproof material over nylon webbing. There's an O ring in the middle, and it fastens by buckle. It also has a nameplate with his name and our address and contact info in case he gets lost. By having it on the nameplate, there's less clattering about hanging off the collar. Here is a picture.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/Oslobunn/100_2019.jpg
I have no clue what brand because I bought it at a street art fair over two years ago.

Ginger's Mom
10-21-2008, 06:06 AM
I buy mainly for function, too. Until Taz, I have had long haired dogs, so you really couldn't see their collars that well any way. Ginger wears a martingale because she is very good at escaping from buckle/clasp collar. A martingale will tighten as she tries to wiggle her way out (then release when she stops). Taz wears a halter, because whenever I try to attach a leash to his collar he starts choking. The both also wear nylon clasp collars with their tags. Now, since I have been on Pet Talk, some of the ladies have shared many low cost collar sites, so I have found that I can afford some that are both cute/pretty and functional. :)

cloverfdx
10-21-2008, 07:01 AM
With Clover safety comes first, i need to walk her on something strong (no plastic buckles unless they are heavy duty). I still find very nice/ cute practical collars for her though.

The others it does not realy matter what they wear, their coats cover them up any way ;). They all have too many collars though, and i am always buying more. Like the 2 i bought today :o.

Cincy'sMom
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Ginger wears a martingale because she is very good at escaping from buckle/clasp collar. A martingale will tighten as she tries to wiggle her way out (then release when she stops).

We also use martingale collars, made by Premier. Each of the dogs have 2 (and they are 7 and 8 years old, so they don't get new often!). I rotate them out when they need washed.

king2005
10-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Digi is wearing a 15+yr old snap collar. Its for an 80lb dog & she is 26lbs, but she seems to attrack dogs that want to rip her throat out & she wont fight back, she'll curl up into a stiff ball & scream bloody murder. So the larger collars give me enough time to get to her & rip the other dog off.

She'll be getting a custom pink double studded spiked collar, with her name burned into it soon (when I can afford it) so that'll do a much better job then the ones shes wearing now.

She does not provoke these dogs from attacking her, but I think its becuase shes such a scared dog (she was abused & mauled many many many times before she was 6 weeks old) around other dogs that I think it causes usually friendly dogs to attack her...

So for me its about protecting my baby from harm

kfitzp1
10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I got Valentine a collar with his name and phone number on it because the tag keeps falling off and even though he is chipped I am paranoid. Plus I got black with gold letters for the Steelers(for my husband) Kelley

Spiritwind
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
My dogs only wear collars when they are off my property.. so I don't buy collars that often, as I have a bunch collected from over the years.. They are usually just plain buckle collars... nothing fancey.

The last collar I bought was actually a show chain LOL

k9krazee
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I try to buy cute collars, but I usually go for the ones that are on sale and cheap. The dogs only each have 1 or 2 collars, so I don't buy them often.

Flatcoatluver
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Let's see for normal wear around the house Zoey and T.j have Lupine dog collars, and Sage has a green studded collar. I go for cute, but it can't be cheap because then it worries me about the quality.

For Zoey's therapy work she wears her collar but also her thearpy jacket.

For Sage's work at agility he wears no collar and walks with a fancy slip leash and for rally and obedience he wear a show chain, we never use it but it's looks really pretty with his coat.

For T.j when he goes hunting he wear a old buckle collar with a large cow bell on it.

shepgirl
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I have plain flat nylon collars because they can be thrown in the wash when they get dirty.The only time my dogs wear a collar is when out on walks because they need their I.D. . I never leave a collar on in the house or in the car. They wear the same flat collar to do any training also.

Freedom
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't use collars, as bichons are prone to collapsed tracheas. So I use harnesses. The girls wear red ones, the boys wear blue ones. From Pet Edge, the step in aka two step harness. I also find this type at Target. Mostly I just have the 4 harnesses, once in a while if Target had a sale I'll have a few extras. I have a bad habit of stepping on (and crushing) the plastic buckles. :rolleyes:

That said, I have a huge assortment of collars! I haven't ever bought a collar, and yet some how, I have over a dozen! Fancy and plain, buckles and clips. (None are rolled, which are mainly for long coats. In a proper cut, a bichon has a long coat. Go figure!) I can't even tell you where most of these collars came from, they just seem to multiply in my closet!:eek:

AllAmericanPUP
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I try to buy "cute collars" that are sturdy, especially with Eli. I do not want a collar that may break.

With eli it's fun to buy collars with nice designs because he's short haired so you can see the collar and a cute collar can make people less afraid of him (being a pit bull and all).

My other dogs are all long haired but i still try to buy them cute collars too

*LabLoverKEB*
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I try to but cute collars for the girls.... I love dog collars.:p:D
Rits is wearing a rolled leather collar at the moment... and Sadie is wearing a cute nylon collar.

IRescue452
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I buy collar based on fur type so they don't rub the fur off or get tangled or anything like that.

I also buy cute collars and seasonal collars. Autumn has tons of collars and Naylee already has 4 and I've only had her 2 months. I buy the cheapy $1 collars from Target that come out every new season. They have haloween collars on right now.

As far as working or walking, my dogs have harnesses. I do not hook leashes up to their necks very often.

anna_66
10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I buy rolled leather collars for the huskies. I buy them for functional purposes. They are hardy, strong, and durable and they don't tangle the fur as much as some other collars. You can't see collars under all their fur anyway so I don't bother buying "cute" collars.
Same here. Roxey and Huney have had the same collar for the last 6 years!
Simba also has a rolled collar.

The only one that ever gets new a new collar is Bon.
Since he's a big dog (170 plus lbs) I like to buy ones that are strong and sturdy and also cute:) He's gotten 2 this year.

I_luv_rusty
10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, Rusty's collar is a leather one which he has had for a long time.

He use to wear the ones that you fasten, but they'd break easy since their plastic when he pulled.

But, if i had a little dog I'm sure i'd get the cute collars.

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Nova and Konnor both have collars that I picked out because I liked the pattern and thought they would look good in it. They also have matching leashes. Sitka also has a collar (black with pink hearts :D ) that I also got because it was cute. Her leash is all black though. I have to say that I get some strange looks now that I've moved back to Haines. Dogs here mainly were plain collars and if they have leashes the "leash" is normally rope. My poor "city dogs" probably get laughed at by the "rugged dogs" for matching.

Ashley

catfancier
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Your responses are invaluable and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions :)

I look forward to letting you all know the reasons for me asking but it might still be a while away. In the meantime, I may need help on a few other things and will start a thread if necessary asking you more questions!

Lots of kisses and cuddles to your lovely pups as well for being so obliging with your collar choices for them :D

Enjoy the rest of your day!

catfancier
10-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Can someone just clarify for me what a Martingale collar is? I have read that over and over again in your responses but don't think I'm familiar with it (at least with that name for it!).

Thanks again :)

Ginger's Mom
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I am attaching a link to the sizing page because I think it gives you the best idea of how a martingale works, pourlechien.net (http://pourlechien.net/sizing.html). But basically, a martingale is made for two loops, the larger loop that slips over the dogs head and goes around her neck, and a smaller loop that attaches the ends of the larger loop togeher and tightens when pulled on by the leash (thus, closing the collar closer around the dog's neck). It works sort of the same way as a choke collar (by that I mean the way it tightens), but it doesn't pinch the dog, because the two ends are never pulled conpletely together. It was originally developed for sighthounds that have delicate necks and very slender heads, but have become popular for all breeds now because they are much less stressful to the dogs then choke collars or half-chokes (rather than all chain, it is a nylon collar with a chain on the end, which works similar to a choke). I hope that made sense. :)

catfancier
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ginger's Mom!

I do know what you mean, I've seen those collar types before but didn't know that they even had a name, let alone what they were called!

Thanks again everyone, your answers have been really helpful :)