PDA

View Full Version : If the world could vote for the US president...

Shelteez2
10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Someone posted this link on another board I belong on. Just thought it was interesting.

http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/

lizbud
10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I think I could guess who they would vote for. I've read many reports
from around the world on how they feel about American Political leaders.

I think it is not relevant to our elections, but it is interesting to read.:)

Lady's Human
10-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Can we vote for the rest of the world's political leaders?

Hell while we're being irrelevent, might as go whole hog.

How many know anything about US internal politics?

Not only is this irrelevent, it's absolutely pointless.

Killearn Kitties
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Now really LH, are you going to try and argue that everything on the internet has a point? :p I think that would be a hard one to win.

Shelteez2
10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I never said it was relevant, just that it was interesting.
And many people interested in politics follow other countries politics too.
I should have known better than to post this here.

blue
10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
We have lawmakers and judges who feel we need to review foreign laws in order to interpret our own constitution and laws, so I can see why some would see this as relavent. I can see that they realise alot of citizens of other countries hate, at the very least dislike, America and Americans. I can see that they would think that voting for NObama would make a favorable impression on the worlds opinion of us.

To me, with the amount of dictators and tyrants that are out there, I would see this poll as a reason to vote against their wishes. I dont see how voting for whats best for their interests is in our best interests.

Lady's Human
10-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Seriously, let's see what the world thinks about Vlad Putin, and who they'd elect as the next President of Russia, see who they'd elect as the next leader of Iran, Libya, Japan, China ....

If everyone's going to nose into the US's internal politics, let's REALLY do it.

If one country is fair game for crap like this, everyone is.

blue
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
We are the sole Super Power left in the world, of course a majority of the world would want to see us weakened.

lizbud
10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I never said it was relevant, just that it was interesting.
And many people interested in politics follow other countries politics too.
I should have known better than to post this here.

Well, it IS an interesting topic & I've already said it doesn't affect our own
elections. Don't be discouraged by the few who take every issue as a personal attack on them & their own beliefs. You can't please everyone.:)

RICHARD
10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
The only way I would even bother with this article is if I knew Jimmy Carter had something to do with THAT 'election'.:cool:

Edwina's Secretary
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Can we vote for the rest of the world's political leaders?

Why bother when we can invade them instead? :D

I think you might be surprised LH...many people in other countries do know alot about our internal politics. Like Blue says...."we are the sole Super Power." It is in their best interest to know what is going on here.

Do you know anything about the internal politics of other countries? I know you do! Do you think others not as able to know about our politics?

blue
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
The only way I would even bother with this article is if I knew Jimmy Carter had something to do with THAT 'election'.:cool:

Jimmy will be counting the votes.

Lady's Human
10-19-2008, 10:31 PM
ES, I know quite a bit about the internal politics of other countries, however, I would never think of trying to influence another country's political process, short of war.

Edwina's Secretary
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
ES, I know quite a bit about the internal politics of other countries, however, I would never think of trying to influence another country's political process, short of war.

Lh...show me where anyone is trying to influence our political process. Are they not allowed an opinion? You don't really believe any of those "voting" expect their vote to count do you?

And heck, if you know so much about other countries internal politics, why did you say this?
How many know anything about US internal politics?

blue
10-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Lh...show me where anyone is trying to influence our political process. Are they not allowed an opinion? You don't really believe any of those "voting" expect their vote to count do you?

Whomever put that site together is trying to influence the election. Americans who feel that the world opinion matters will be swayed by that web site. I have relatives who will feel their vote for NObama is justified by the world opinion of our election.

And heck, if you know so much about other countries internal politics, why did you say this?

Feel free to inform us as to the inner workings of our election process.

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 12:32 AM
If other countires aren't trying to influence our internal politics, why did Sen. Obama make a CAMPAIGN TRIP abroad?

Seems odd for someone running for the US Presidency to make a campaign stump speech in Berlin. Unless he thought he was going to garner votes with that little junket, it doesn't make much sense.

BTW, Pres. Carter counting votes? Now there's something to inspire confidence.

Bonny
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Lets skip into the future. What would you all think of a World Government? Could it be in the future?

Puckstop31
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Lets skip into the future. What would you all think of a World Government? Could it be in the future?

It IS in our future.

It won't be good. It CAN'T be good.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
If other countires aren't trying to influence our internal politics, why did Sen. Obama make a CAMPAIGN TRIP abroad?

Seems odd for someone running for the US Presidency to make a campaign stump speech in Berlin. Unless he thought he was going to garner votes with that little junket, it doesn't make much sense.

BTW, Pres. Carter counting votes? Now there's something to inspire confidence.

Speaking of not making sense. Obama's speech in Berlin was to encourage other countries to influence our internal policies. Okee dokee....

Are you suggesting Obama thought German citizens can vote in the US?

Perhaps he shared your concern for their lack of knowledge about our internal politics?

Twisterdog
10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I find it not only interesting, but relevant as well.

If EVERYONE else at a dinner party tells you that you have spinach between your teeth and your toliet paper stuck on your shoe ... what are you going to do? Take heed of the unanimous majority telling you that you are being an idiot and fix the situation? Or say, "Ha! What do all of you know? Your opinions are irrelevant!" and continue mingling around the room, with your spinach and your TP?

RICHARD
10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
If EVERYONE else at a dinner party tells you that you have spinach between your teeth and your toliet paper stuck on your shoe ... what are you going to do?

You are an idiot because you have spinach on your teeth or toilet paper on your shoe?

That's funny.

I can hardly wait to see a woman who has lipstick on her teeth, or her blouse isn't tucked into her pants or skirt or her bra strap is showing.

I''ll be sure to lean over and tell her what her problem is and remind her that she may be an idiot.;)

It's all in the way a person is approached. The sledgehammer to drive a tack is they fastest way to be ignored. IT's no wonder we ignore most of the "helpful" hints from overseas.

Think about it. They could be superpowers too, it just takes a second to look in the mirror or a peek at their shoes.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Sledgehammer....invasion....I think I am seeing the light.

Perhaps the fact that we have used the "Sledgehammer" so often causes apprehension about our intentions?

Shah of Iran, Pinochet, Saddam (when we put him in and when we took him out)

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
In Saddam's case, Sara, we didn't quite put him in ..........

He murdered he opposition party.

He was an assasin before he came to power, and took power the same way. We were dealing with him in the '70s and 80's because on the surface he was the lesser of two evils, the other evil being Russian control of the Gulf region.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
So we were...trying to influence the internal politics of another country?

As you sow, so shall you reap?

(ALthough I have to say...I struggle to consider an on-line poll trying to influence our internal politics!)

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Sara, note the "short of war" statement I made.

To avoid war it's one thing. To do it because you're a bunch of sheep following the beat of the "we don't like them" drummers in the UN is something else entirely.

BTW, it's not a just one online poll. It's the constant drumbeat from international sources telling us who to elect.

I wouldn't do it to them, (again, short of a wartime situation), and they should do the same.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
We started a war to influence another country's internal politics.

Not to avoid a war...we started a war. Can you get much more intrusive than that?

Who's "them" anyway? No one from international sources has tried to influence my vote?

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Sara, if you refer to Iraq, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

If we weren't at war with them prior to the invasion there are some Falcon, Jaguar and Strike Eagle pilots who'd like an explanation of just what it was that put holes in their birds.

We could go to the 14 UN resolutions, breaches of the cease fire agreement, ad nauseum, but that's been rehashed and argued in this forum far too many times to no result.

If you don't know which international sources have been trying to influence votes in this country, you haven't been paying very close attention to the news and political rallies at all.

lizbud
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Just for giggles, what is your source for believing Obama's trip was in fact
a Campaign trip?

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
But use of the landmark apparently was vetoed by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who a spokesman Wednesday said disapproved of plans to co-opt it as a "campaign backdrop."

that might be one clue.........another might be to ask yourself when the last time a JUNIOR US senator made a foreign trip abroad making stump speeches at every available venue......

Or when the last time a US Seator made a trip abroad.....and cancelled a planned visit with wounded troop because the US Military refused to allow reporters to accompany him to the hospital.......

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
If you don't know which international sources have been trying to influence votes in this country, you haven't been paying very close attention to the news and political rallies at all.

Firdt you say those international folks don't know much about our internal politics and then you say they are trying to influence votes on the news and at rallies.

You know I pay attention. Is it the Germans, the French, the Vatican, the British, the Canadians, the Russians, the Cubans?...Maybe it's Mexico or Monacco? I have never seen the suggestion of foreign influence until this thread. I suppose it could be on Fox News and that is why I haven't heard of it.

And as for Iraq...so that is this week's explanation? You must admit it has been difficult keeping up with the excuses for the Regime Change (as opposed to Election Influencing!)

I learn so much here. Yesterday I learned that people decide how to vote based on signs placed on the street and today I learn those pesky foreigners are swaying US voters.

I am so glad I have already voted. I am safe from foriegn influence!

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Or when the last time a US Seator made a trip abroad.....and cancelled a planned visit with wounded troop because the US Military refused to allow reporters to accompany him to the hospital.......

That is Bull and you know it. That disinformation was cleaned up by the military brass.

I'm surprised at you. You usually go with the truth.

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
It wasn't bull, and the cleanup you speak of was a pretty lousy attempt at damage control after the fact.

beeniesmom
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Being a Navy wife, I think he went abroad because of all the US civilians and military that live in Europe.

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Being a Navy wife, I think he went abroad because of all the US civilians and military that live in Europe.

In which case he could have requested access to the military facilities in Europe (which would have been granted), given a speech at Rhein Mein, Landstuhl, Heidelberg, Germany or Rota in Spain, or all of the above, and went home.

Instead, he asked to use the Brandenburg Gate, which would have been loaded with symbolism.

His speeches were squarely aimed at the population of Europe, not US military personnel living abroad.

lizbud
10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
That is Bull and you know it. That disinformation was cleaned up by the military brass.

I'm surprised at you. You usually go with the truth.

That's what I thought too, but apparently not this time.

I think he's just really, really pissed off because Colin Powell endorsed
Obama & dissed both Bush & McCain.;)

lizbud
10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
that might be one clue.........another might be to ask yourself when the last time a JUNIOR US senator made a foreign trip abroad making stump speeches at every available venue......

It would be the last time, that a Senator was running for President & didn't
want to be known as stranger to Europe. We do have allies over there, remember?

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually, the endorsement of the former Sec. State means little to nothing to me.

There's a difference between a Senator making a trip to speak with leaders, and a Senator speaking at rock concerts in downtown Berlin. I don't think Chancellor Merkel was in attendance.

RICHARD
10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Actually, the endorsement of the former Sec. State means little to nothing to me.

There's a difference between a Senator making a trip to speak with leaders, and a Senator speaking at rock concerts in downtown Berlin. I don't think Chancellor Merkel was in attendance.

The funniest part about the whole Obama World Tour is the fact that if it was JM, people would be screaming about home, econimics and the other problems on the doorstep of the citizens here in the U.S.

The only purpose of the trip was to show what a 'world view' he has. He cannot see any foreign country from his front door.

BO had the chance to visit the men in the hospital - His effing ego and chance for a photo opportunity was more important the men themselves.

He didn't need to do the giant press op- he could have gone, on the sly, and done it for himself and the patients.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Let's be honest....there is no one on the face of this earth whose endorsement of Obama would mean anything to you!

Why single out Bush's former Secretary of State?

Lady's Human
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Because it was brought up by another poster in a direct question.

Edwina's Secretary
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Because it was brought up by another poster in a direct question.

I'm not sure I would call....

I think he's just really, really pissed off because Colin Powell endorsed
Obama & dissed both Bush & McCain

...a direct question but okay.....