PDA

View Full Version : Stayin Alive

lizbud
10-18-2008, 06:14 PM
'Stayin Alive' lives up to name?

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 07:14 PM EDT

CHICAGO (AP) - The Bee Gees' 1970s anthem "Stayin' Alive" may be true to its name.

A University of Illinois' study shows the catchy tune has about 103 beats per minute -- almost the perfect rhythm to help jump-start a stopped heart.

Doctors and students doing CPR maintained close to the ideal number of chest compressions while listening to the song from the 1977 movie "Saturday Night Fever."

It turns out the American Heart Association has been using the song as a training tip for CPR instructors for about two years. The group recommends 100 chest compressions per minute for CPR.

Experts say Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" may also work, but that the song's title makes it a less appealing choice. :D:D

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Karen
10-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Ironic, isn't it? It does make sense, and besides "Another One Bites the Dust" has a much slower tempo so wouldn't have the same effect! How funny that a catchy lyric can have its use beyond sticking in your head and driving you crazy!

lizbud
10-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Ironic, isn't it? It does make sense, and besides "Another One Bites the Dust" has a much slower tempo so wouldn't have the same effect! How funny that a catchy lyric can have its use beyond sticking in your head and driving you crazy!

I thought it was pretty neat to use it as a teaching tool.:)

cassiesmom
10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Isn't that a stitch! New equipment required on crash carts - a boom box and a Bee Gees CD!

RICHARD
10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
AOBTD?

That's funny, and I think that, as bad as it sounds, a certain amouint of gallows humor is always the norm in situations like that.

joycenalex
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
my cpr class is in 2 weeks. i'm gonna ace it! and hum along too

RICHARD
10-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Try not to do the finger point thing while you do compressions?
You may need both hands!:D:D:D

lizbud
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM

:D LOL , Great idea.:)

lizbud
10-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Try not to do the finger point thing while you do compressions?
You may need both hands!:D:D:D

:) Hey, she might get extra points for style.:D