PDA

View Full Version : Tundra- Proof she is a breed.

Aspen and Misty
09-12-2002, 01:01 AM
I have 3 tundra look alikes that I haev found and I would like to share them with you! I am so surprised! Look at this!

First My Tundra

Aspen and Misty
09-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Tehn if you clikc on the next 3 links they will take you to cats that look just like Tundra!

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2002/July/23.html

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2001/July/31.html

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2002/May/28.html

Janeway
09-12-2002, 04:40 AM
Oh, my gosh! Maybe this should be a breed! We have a feral cat at work, who WILL be spayed in about a week after her LAST litter has been adopted. Girlfriend is so sweet and will let some of us pet her. Anyway...she's had 4 or 5 litters, all with the same daddy, a white, longhaired cat with a faded dark cap. Girlfriend is a short haired brown tabby and has at least 8 white with black capped kittens. There are 4 in this last litter of 6! It's interesting to see how dominant the daddy's coloring has been. Here's a picture of one of the babies at about 3 weeks.

Oops, the file is too big, so I'll have to figure out how to make it smaller!:(

Ann
09-12-2002, 04:50 AM
That's soooooooo wierd, once there was a wild cat who had kitties, and the two kitties looked just like that, white with a dark cap! How odd! It reminds me a lot of the native indian horse "breed" Medicine Cap.

Thanks for sharing, this was very interesting... Maybe it will be considered an "official" breed sometime in the future!

Janeway
09-12-2002, 05:52 AM
Weird? Oh, yes. I vote that this should be a new breed. All of a sudden the black caps are all over the place!

Janeway
09-12-2002, 05:53 AM
Here's some more!

Janeway
09-12-2002, 05:54 AM
And the cutest of all...I have more, but making them smaller is a challenge.

lynnestankard
09-12-2002, 06:23 AM
Ash and Janeway (StarTrek Fan?!) Great pics., of gorgeous furbabies! Thanks.

Lynne

Ann
09-12-2002, 07:22 AM
Janeway, are those your own kitties?? Adorable :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-12-2002, 10:02 AM
Such adorable little kittens. They are really cute with their little black caps on. :)

Janeway
09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Ann, no these cuties aren't mine and at least 2 are looking for a good home. These are four "black caps" born in Girlfriend's last litter of six. There's also a long haired tabby and a black one. They will be eight weeks old on Saturday and Girlfriend is going to be snatched and taken to be spayed. No more baby making for her! It's going to be tough, because even though she's gotten quite tame, she's very street smart and won't get near the havaheart trap. We've got a plan, though.

Janeway
09-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Here's another black cap pictures. These guys are just too cute!

Janeway
09-12-2002, 10:11 AM
One more, and I promise not to bore you any more! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Janeway
One more, and I promise not to bore you any more! :D

Bore!!! BORE!!! Are you kidding!!?!??!! I'm on cuteness overload here! That last one is a great picture of mom and her babies. Awwww......

catland
09-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Wonderful pics. Those kittens are just too adorable for words! Thanks so much for sharing.

Aspen and Misty
09-12-2002, 02:57 PM
I am pretty sure they are called Juno. We went into the pet store and foudn a magnet with the cat breed on the frno and on the back it said Juno cat, but on the back of the glden retreiver magnet it said GOlden pup mag. So I am pretty sure they are a Juno! I am exited! I think they are a rare breed as they are not ina a cat book. I dunno! But thoguth you guys might like to know this!

Ash

Karen
09-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I don't think a coloration pattern is a "breed," any more than a "tuxedo" counts as a breed. I looked in my big book of cats, and neither "Juno" not "Tuxedo" is there. That's why people differentiate between a "seal point" Siamese and a "blue point" Siamese, a "seal point" Himalayan and a "blue point" Himalayan.

I also looked on the Cat Fanciers Association website, and didn't see Juno there. Where did you see it as a "breed?"

krazyaboutkatz
09-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Whether they are a breed or not doesn't matter to me because they are so cute. :) Thanks for sharing the great pics. :D

Ann
09-13-2002, 03:28 AM
Aha, got it Janeway! Thanks for explaining, and thanks for what you're doing :) I hope they can find good homes.

And trust me, I'd never be bored!!! I love those pictures, they are sooooooooo cute :)

lynnestankard
09-13-2002, 05:16 AM
Janeway - the last pic., of Mum and Babies is adorable. Good luck with trapping her - let us know how things develop.

Janeway
09-13-2002, 05:59 AM
Ash and everybody, I was just kidding when I thought this should be a breed, but as a coloring it is so odd that all of a sudden (doesn't it always seem like that?) there's little black cap juno's all over the place. In Girlfriend and "ugly daddy cat" (he really is ugly) it's so interesting to see how genetically dominant his coloring has been. When I said Girlfriend had a least 8 black caps, I remembered one litter (I know, I know...it's so tragic and it WILL stop with this litter) that she had a hard time with and two black caps got taken to a no kill shelter very very young - a couple of weeks old. One didn't make it and I'm not sure what happened to the other, so that makes 10. And she had 4 out of 6 in this last litter. One of the tiny ones' cap is actually not black, but looks just like mom's brown tabby color! Anyway, I think we have 4 spoken for (if the tabby is female she has a home) which will leave 2 black caps up for adoption. Fingers crossed!

NoahsMommy
09-13-2002, 12:55 PM
They are soooo cute!! It doesn't matter if they aren't a breed, we still love them!! :) I love the pictures! It is so amazing to me how "black caps" can come from a grey tabby. That's really neat.