PDA

View Full Version : Too early?

davidpizzica
10-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Tonight I listened to my favorite rock & roll radio station and guess what? They've started playing Christmas music! It's not even halloween yet. By the time Christmas rolls around I'll be tired of listening to it.

Karen
10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Absolutely too early. Retailers are worried about this being a poor year for holiday sales, but to have a radio station start the carols this early is completely uncalled for! I'd call the station - and their advertisers - and complain!

caseysmom
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I would not listen to that station anymore I can't stand that.

Catlady711
10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I used to LOVE Christmas music.....back when it didn't start playing in stores, on tv, or on the radio until Thanksgiving. Now by the time Thanksgiving gets here I'm so sick of it that I hope to never hear another carol for at least 2 years.

cali
10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
yup, too early! we do have some x-mas products out at work already though...we have actually already had x-mas for sale! if it were up to us we would not do that..its drived us retailers crazy too because we have to find the room for all the x-mas stuff and get it all into our systems months beforehand. last year we were schedualed(by the company NOT our store, we had no say in the matter) to have a x-mas and halloween sale at the same time. ..so when I put up the signs, I posted a bunch of halloween stuff, followed by x-mas stuff..followed by an sign for Motrin ;) I dunno if anyone got my brand of humor, but I though it was funny :p

DJFyrewolf36
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Indeed WAY too early! I love Christmas but thinking about snow this time of year makes me want to cringe lol.

Medusa
10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Too early for me, that's for sure. I watch some of the home shopping networks and they've had their Xmas trees up for a couple of weeks and they've been doing Xmas shows since mid September. Their commercials play Xmas music. It's all a turnoff. I understand that retailers are worried about making money this year but everyone I've talked to dislikes the early Xmas stuff, so I think that the retailers may be shooting themselves in the foot.

Laura's Babies
10-18-2008, 09:07 AM
I get so sick of Christmas music that my stero system gets a good work out over the holidays.

AllAmericanPUP
10-18-2008, 09:30 AM
ugh it's way too early. i havent heard any xmas music on the radio but i am tired of walkin into stores and seeing all the xmas decorations

shepgirl
10-18-2008, 09:40 AM
The stores have already taken some of their Christmas merchandise out and we are already receiving flyers on "good deals". The Christmas carols started 2 weeks ago out here in some stores, which caught me off guard. Way too early, at least they used to wait till after Remembrance day. I get so fed up that by the time Christmas does roll around I don't feel so festive anymore.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-18-2008, 09:45 AM
That is FAR to early!! I would leave the shop right away, and go elsewhere :rolleyes:

moosmom
10-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Nah. I play Transiberian Orchestra all the time. Too early??? The whole front of our store is Christmas %^&*. It's like we've completely passed over Thanksgiving.

cassiesmom
10-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Too early for me. I went with my dad to Menard's today and they already have a display of Christmas trees, ornaments, and decorations. I'm neutral about Halloween, but I know it is a big day for kids. I really like Thanksgiving, but I don't like that it gets short shrift in the push toward Christmas.

On the other hand, though, I got waaaaaay nicer Christmas cards last year in the holiday swap than I sent, and so many with photos! I kept the photos and the cards in a basket all year, never put them away. I like to flip through them and look at each one! So I did start thinking along the lines of what to do about that!

Karen
10-18-2008, 07:54 PM
By the way, while it may be too early for the stores to play carols, it's not too early to sign up for the Holiday Card Swap! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=146974)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-19-2008, 08:26 AM
By the way, while it may be too early for the stores to play carols, it's not too early to sign up for the Holiday Card Swap! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=146974)

Great advize Karen ;):)

davidpizzica
10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
The Christmas music on this radio station will only be played for the weekend. The station will return to it's regular rock & roll on monday. I still think it's too early to play holiday music!

Daisy and Delilah
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
David, if this trend that we've seen for the past few years continues, maybe the stores won't bother taking down the Christmas decor at all. It's really disturbing that money has taken over such a wonderful holiday to such a high degree. It takes away so much enjoyment because it's supposed to be so special and the retailers and radio stations are ruining it.:(:(:(

RICHARD
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
THe Valentine's Day stuff should be going up next week.

LOL, There should be a rule that no Christmas carols can be played until there is no temp in the Continental U.S. over 72 degrees.

Amen.

davidpizzica
10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
You're so right, Terry. Having Christmas decorations and Christmas item for sale in stores this early and playing carols on the radio amounts to getting all the almighty dollars the retailers can get. Also, I think the children lose out a little, too. Seeing decorations this early, they tend to lose some of the awe and wonderment that that opening presents Christmas morning brings. Sometimes they can lose sight of the fact that Jesus was born that day.

Trinityagain
10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Tonight I listened to my favorite rock & roll radio station and guess what? They've started playing Christmas music! It's not even halloween yet. By the time Christmas rolls around I'll be tired of listening to it.

Let me guess...3WS? I was shocked to hear that this weekend...it is WAYYYYY to early for that.....

davidpizzica
10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Let me guess...3WS? I was shocked to hear that this weekend...it is WAYYYYY to early for that.....

Yep, they're the ones!