PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Suggestions needed re:Taz

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok, so back on Sept 29th we found out Taz had fluid filled cysts around his kidneys. They drained them and he's been good. Well, the cysts are beginning to fill again. I have an appt tomorrow to get them drained again. And at that time I'm going to talk to the dr about what can be done in the long run. She's already told me that surgery might be the only way to get rid of the cysts. So I guess I need to discuss the pro's and con's of that since he is a senior dude. The other option is to take him in once or twice a month to have them drained. Which is almost $200 each time. :eek:

I guess what I'm asking my PT family, is has anyone ever encountered something like this? And if so what did you do? Or what would you do if you were presented with this?

Please note: he is still eating just fine. The only thing that I notice different about him is that he's just grumpy! He hisses and growls at Paizly ALL the time now.

Thanks! :)

Moesha
10-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Morgan has a fluid filled cyst, but it is on his back. He had it drained once to just make sure that is what it was. Of course it came back. It doesn't seem to bother him, and since the vet said it wasn't dangerous, I leave it alone. But then again, this isn't something on one of his organs. I just don't know what to tell you. It's frustrating I am sure.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd discuss it at length w/your vet. Even though Taz is a senior kitty, he could still come through the surgery w/no problems provided that he's in relatively good health otherwise. It surely isn't pleasant for him to have the procedure done every couple of months and it isn't easy on your wallet either. I'd opt to have it over with as long as the risks of surgery are minimal and my vet felt confident that all should go well. I'm not telling you what to do, just what I would do if in the same situation.

catmandu
10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
OH DEAR ANOTHER OF OUR SENIOR PALS IS ILL:(. PLEASE LORD :love:COULD YOU PLEASE HELP OUR DEAR FRIEND TAZ:love:, AND MAKE HIM ALL WELL.
THE FOUND CATS, PORC CATS, RESCUED CATS AND ALL OF OUR RAINBOW BRIDGE ANGELS AND OUR FEEDER WOULD CONSIDER THAT AS A PURRSONAL FAVOUR!:love:
THANK YOU SO MUCH OUR DEAR LORD :love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
10-17-2008, 05:48 PM
No advice to give only lots of prayers. Grandma sends a gentle head kissie for her special Valentine! :love:

Catty1
10-17-2008, 06:59 PM
There's always the good old question, "What would you do if it was your cat?" :)

Poor Taz is not feeling great - I guess that is why he is so grumpy. Did his mood improve after the cysts were drained the first time?

HUGS!

PS - just did a little Googling. What kind of cysts did the vet say these were? All I am finding is polycystic disease, which seems a totally different thing than what Taz is experiencing.

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Moesha - yes it is frustrating, especially since I do not have any idea of what will come. :(

Medusa - I will be discussing all options with the vet tomorrow. We are seeing the same vet we saw last time that drained them. If I don't like what they tell me, I'll go to another vet for a second opinion. :)

Thank you catmandu and momoffuzzyfaces!! :D

Catty1 - she did not specify what kind of cysts they are. I will ask tomorrow though. Last time I was so upset because he hadn't been eating and he looked horrible. This time I have my head on better and will pay attention. :)
Did his mood improve last time? Well, not too much. Since the 29th I've seen him play with Paizly a few times but only for less than a minute. Otherwise he is Mr Grumpy!! However, he is maintaining his job of comforting me. Last night I was upset in bed and he was on the floor. He came to me and curled up right next to me, after he sat there and stared at me for a while. LOL

I will update tomorrow (appt is at 11:40 pst). :)

Thank you all!! :D

Moesha
10-17-2008, 08:31 PM
So is he just Mr. Grumpy with Paizly or in general?

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Awe... Mr. Grumpy Pants!! Please don't be so unfriendly with your lil' sister! I hope that the vet can figure out something to make you feel better.

I hope the vet can figure something out that will be able to take care of it permanently. Poor guy won't be happy going back every month or so, and having them growing back. I just hope they can do something that isn't so invasive, and will be safe and easy for Taz (and your pocketbook!).

Hugs for Mr. Grumpy Pants, and of course for Ms. Paizly and you too!

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
He only grumpy with Paizly and Zoee. Not with us hoomans. :)

I hope there's an easy fix too. Thanks Jennie!! :D

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
We are back from the vet. She drained the fluid again and gave him some Valium since last time he was a little feisty. So now I have a drunk kitty, LOL.
We discussed our options, and to stop the cysts from filling up surgery would be the only thing to do. I asked if that was ok with his age and she said 13 isn't too old.
And I forgot to ask what kind of cysts they were. I'm exhausted. I've been up since 3:30 with Zoee and her having another seizure. She is currently at the ER vet as I type. :(

So for now I'm going to discuss this with Bruce (which should be pointless) and go from there. I'm just very nervous about him going under for surgery at his age. I think I'll talk this over with my sister too, see what she thinks (she's a vet tech).

Thanks again, everyone.

Moesha
10-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Good thoughts and wishes being sent for Taz and Zoee and YOU!

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank you Moesha. :)
Zoee is still not home. :(

Medusa
10-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry that you're going through all this. Surgery is always scary but your vet is right, 13 isn't that old. Puddy had her kidney removed at 13 and you know all the problems she had and she still had a good year or so after that. Many prayers continuing for your entire fur family and for you, too. :love:

Freedom
10-19-2008, 09:28 AM
When you are ready, you can always phone the vet and ask "what kind of cysts are these?" They can give you that info over the phone, so you can do some research yourself.

Prayers for Taz, Zoe and you! What a lot to cope with all at once! {{Hugs}}

Catty1
10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Hopefully the surgery can be laporoscopic without huge incisions? I don't know if they can do lap surgery on a cat.

{{{hugs}}}

I hope Zoee is home soon!

Taz_Zoee
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Thank you everyone, so much!

Yes, I think I will call the vet and ask what kind of cysts on Monday. I'm nervous about surgery but also it's so darn expensive. My dad asked me if he was worth that much and I said maybe not to you. But if it's not risky surgery then why not? He could have many years left in him. And I'll apply for Care Credit through the vet. Another scary thing is he'd go to the same surgery center that DJ (our RB Cocker) went to and he never came home, except in a box. :( Or the vet mentioned UC Davis. That's a bit away from me, but do you think they'd be cheaper, or do Care Credit?? I just don't know!!!

Zoee came home around 7pm and she was stuck to me like glue!!! Which was good because I needed to make sure she didn't lick her IV spots too much. She is fine and I'm going to try to not take her in everytime she has one of these episodes. It's too expensive and they don't do much except monitor her and she's always fine. Of course I say this now but when it happens again I'll be down there!! LOL

krazyaboutkatz
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Taz and Zoee.:( It sounds like surgery for Taz is a good option and you could do some research to find the best place to take him. I go to Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos and they perform a lot of difficult surgeries and the vets and vet techs are all wonderful caring people so you might want to consider this place as an option. My vet specializes in cats and she performs surgeries on Mondays.

I'm glad to hear that Zoee is now home and I hope that she'll continue to do well. Is she on any kind of medication for her seizures? I've heard that phenobarbitol works in some dogs if I'm remembering correctly.

Taz_Zoee
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Taz and Zoee.:( It sounds like surgery for Taz is a good option and you could do some research to find the best place to take him. I go to Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos and they perform a lot of difficult surgeries and the vets and vet techs are all wonderful caring people so you might want to consider this place as an option. My vet specializes in cats and she performs surgeries on Mondays.

I'm glad to hear that Zoee is now home and I hope that she'll continue to do well. Is she on any kind of medication for her seizures? I've heard that phenobarbitol works in some dogs if I'm remembering correctly.

I go to Adobe Animal Hospital here in Concord!! It's right near my house. But they would have to refer me to Veterinary Surgery Association (which is right next door to the ER vet) or UC Davis. I think I'd want to get the opinion of the surgeon before scheduling anything of course. So I'll have to look into my options.

Putting Zoee on meds has been discussed. I really don't want her on Phenobarb unless it is absolutely necessary. On Saturday they wanted to put her on Potassium Bromate (?), but again I am sorta against putting her on a daily medicine when her seizures only happen about twice a year. The ER doc I spoke to when I picked her up said he agrees with me BUT if her seizures become 3 to 4 months apart or 3 to 4 seizures (called clusters) at a time then he would recommend the Potassium Bromate. The reason I (and both ER docs) are against Phenobarb is because of the side effects it has. I don't know them off the top of my head, but it would be a last resort drug if her seizures become more frequent or more severe.

Thank you for asking about Zoee too. :)

Medusa
10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
My RB peke-a-poo Charmin was on phenolbarbitol nearly all her life. She started seizures after she gave birth at under a year old and she lived to be 18 1/2 w/no side effects. I'm certainly not telling you what to do, just that there are success cases w/it w/out the side effects. Prayers continuing here in Ohio.....:)

Taz_Zoee
10-20-2008, 02:10 PM
My RB peke-a-poo Charmin was on phenolbarbitol nearly all her life. She started seizures after she gave birth at under a year old and she lived to be 18 1/2 w/no side effects. I'm certainly not telling you what to do, just that there are success cases w/it w/out the side effects. Prayers continuing here in Ohio.....:)

Really? Well, that's good to know. I don't know if it's different in cats and dogs. But that is good to know. I know you aren't telling me what to do. :)
But like I said, it's not needed yet, so I know the option is out there.
Thanks Mary! :D