PDA

View Full Version : Weird kitten behavior

JustineNYC
10-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone! My little one Moglie is 5 months now and when he drinks water its very very odd. He goes over to the bowl and takes 2 or 3 normal sips, then he pulls away slightly, his tongue comes out, curls and his ears twitch as he appears to be sucking on absolutely nothing. I picked him up while he was doing and he kept doing it another few seconds. I noticed this a while ago because he makes a loud suckling sound. I have 5 cats and Ive never seen a kitten suckling in the water bowl.

Is this normal?

Medusa
10-17-2008, 05:57 AM
I can't say that I've ever seen that either. Does Moglie appear to be in any pain or discomfort or do you think it's just a cute little thing that he does? Is there any way that you can check his tongue and mouth to see if there's anything abnormal there or something that might be causing him to do that?

Laura's Babies
10-17-2008, 06:01 AM
I agree, check inside his mouth and see if anything looks abnormal.. It could just be his way of drinking but I would check his mouth out to be sure.

JustineNYC
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
His tongue looks fine. Every morning hes at the foot of the bed neading (sp?) and when I pick him up he is doing the same thing he does when pretending to drink water. The tongue is curled at the lips and hes suckling. He doesnt do it when he eats, maybe hes associating liquid with sucking a nipple. When I see him drink later Im going to try and get a picture of it.