PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my Pidgelet, please! *Update 11/23*; she's losing weight; post #285

Pages : [1] 2

Medusa
10-16-2008, 06:50 PM
She's sneezing and wheezing and I'm not sure why. She's 18 1/2 so I don't want to take any chances w/her. I put a call in to Dr. Lee that I want to get her in there tomorrow, if not w/him, then another vet there. She's so sweet, has never had a sick day since I rescued her 16 years ago except for a paint allergy last year. She just is suddenly so lethargic. Too soon for another kitty to get sick after Puddy's passing. I'm nervous but doing my best to stay positive.

ETA: I'm so stressed, I posted this somewhere else. Sorry.

Catty1
10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I was going to ask you how her fur situation was now that it had grown back in.

I hope she just has a wee cold that can be easily treated.

{{{{hugs}}}}...prayers. Keep the faythe. :)

momtomany
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Pidgelet, don't scare your mommie now. Prayers for you both that it is just a passing sniffle.

Karen
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Poor Pidgelet! It is the time for leaf mold allergies to kick in ... I hope it's something simple and easily fixed.

Medusa
10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I was going to ask you how her fur situation was now that it had grown back in.

I hope she just has a wee cold that can be easily treated.

{{{{hugs}}}}...prayers. Keep the faythe. :)

She's doing fine since the lion cut. She still hates being brushed, though. I get bitten repeatedly, not hard enough to break the skin but firmly enough that I know she means business. She's just sniffling like crazy now and sounds really congested. She's just got the sweetest temperament (except for the grooming thing, LOL) and she hardly even ever meows. She's so unobtrusive and I could tell from the very beginning that she's just thankful to have a home. I hope she sleeps well tonight because I doubt that I will. Thanx for your prayers, friends.

jennielynn1970
10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Awe, sweet Pidgie, I hope you start to feel better. Maybe it's just the change in the weather and there are more allergens in the air. Could be that after she had the allergic reaction last year it's making her more prone to allergens now?

((((HUGS))))) to you Mary, and thoughts and prayers going up for Pidgelet.

jazzcat
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Catty1
10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Awww, Pidgelet...just snuggle up to your Boo man, he'll take care of you!:love:

catlover32648
10-16-2008, 09:49 PM
I will pray for the best =] , I hope everything is fine .

Taz_Zoee
10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I will be thinking of Pidge and hoping it's just the sniffles and she'll be fine.

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
My allergies are acting up. I hope that is all it is for Ms. Pidgelet as well!

Emeraldgreen
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
What a gorgeous girl she is! I hope these sniffles are just a passing thing. Prayers that Dr. Lee or the other vet will find out the cause.

jenluckenbach
10-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Prayers for Pidge.

Laura's Babies
10-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Poor Pidgelet, hope you get to feeling better soon..

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-17-2008, 06:17 AM
I hope that your vet finds out what's wrong asap!
Good luck sweet Pidgelet:love:

pomtzu
10-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Hopefully it's just the nasty Fall allergies - it's that wonderful (:rolleyes:) time of the year for them to be kicking in. The dogs are feeling it with more itchies and scratchies and I've been hitting the Benadryl too.
Come on Pidge - don't scare Mom - she's been thru enough lately!! Prayers for you to get feeling better soon. :love:
BTW Mary - I'll be thinking of you when the smell of pumpkin bread baking in the oven fills the house a little later! :D Yummmmm..............

Anikaca77
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Prayers being sent for Pidgelet!

Big Hugs!

Queen of Poop
10-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Prayers for Pidgelet that it's just fall related sniffles and that she'll be just fine.

I've been sniffling and stuffed up for a couple of weeks now, related to the fall season. Hopefully I'm sharing this ailment with Pidgelet and it will pass soon.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 07:26 AM
The clinic just called; she has a 10:30 appt. I was just about to call my local vet to see if I could get her in there when Dr. Lee's office called. Pidge is now gurgling and seeing that she's so old, I'm concerned about pneumonia. She's eating, though, and doesn't appear to be gasping for air or anything, so I pray she'll be ok.

Moesha
10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
I hope that she'll be able to get some medicine that will help her breathe easier. Thoughts are with you.

GILL
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
The Crew is sending thier prayers and we hope the she is feeling better soon.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Dr. Lee took x-rays of both her chest and her sinuses. She has a mild sinus infection but there is a mass in front of her heart that he wants to recheck in a month. The other vets looked at the x-ray and feel that it's probably calcified and nothing to worry about but we'll see if it's grown or changed at all in a month. He said that he could have a radiologist look at it but all s/he would say is "It could be this, that or the other" and Dr. Lee could tell me that himself. So she'll be rechecked in 4 weeks.

He also told me that she has spondylosis of the spine and he showed me on the x-ray where it is. He said that it's probably painful for her and I said that she never cries or anything and he said "Well, you know how cats are".

He gave her an injection of Convenia and some Cyproheptadine tablets for the infection. He also advised that I put her on Science diet, all of my cats for that matter. I told him that they only get a few T. of Fancy Feast in the morning and the rest of the day they eat Purina Cat Chow. He said that feeding them Fancy Feast is like giving them chocolate cake every day because it's loaded w/sugar and salt. So I bought a couple cans of Science diet and will add a little FF and back off the FF every day until they are eating only the Science diet canned.

I'm going to keep a good thought, try not to let my fears get the better of me regarding that mass in front of Pidge's heart but if you will include her in your prayers until I learn more, I sure would appreciate it.

Catty1
10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
PT Prayers for Pidge!:love:

If the mass is calcified, it won't grow. They are likely rechecking it as a formality. Does she have any meds for pain?

She is a brave girl, and you are her great mom!

Hey - maybe the pain from the spondylosis is why she doesn't like being groomed? That might change.

She is 18 1/2 and doing wonderfully. Hope her sniffles clear up soon! :)

pomtzu
10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh my!! - it's always something - isn't it??? Hopefully that mass is something that won't effect her adversely. Try not to worry - I know - easier said than done!:(
Is she taking anything for the pain of the spondylosis? Unfortunately I know first hand how uncomfortable that is.
Lots of prayers and well wishes from me and the poochies.

BTW - interesting fact about the FF. My son's 2 cats split a can at night - maybe that's why their bellies are swaying when they walk. :eek: They get dry food the rest of the day to nibble on when they're hungry, but don't really eat much and I could never figure why they are so chunky.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh my!! - it's always something - isn't it??? Hopefully that mass is something that won't effect her adversely. Try not to worry - I know - easier said than done!:(
Is she taking anything for the pain of the spondylosis? Unfortunately I know first hand how uncomfortable that is.

BTW - interesting fact about the FF. My son's 2 cats split a can at night - maybe that's why their bellies are swaying when they walk. :eek: They get dry food the rest of the day to nibble on when they're hungry, but don't really eat much and I could never figure why they are so chunky.

Dr. Lee and I got to talking about the sinus thing and the mass and I totally forgot to ask him about pain meds for her. He had just finished surgery and was about to leave the office (I was originally scheduled to see another vet) but when he found out it was I who asked for him, he stuck around. (Isn't that nice? He's a good guy.) I called the office when I got home and one of the other vets is going to call me about pain meds and they'll ship them to me because their office is so far away; I don't want to drive back up there.

As for the FF, Dr. Lee also said that dry food is almost just as bad if we free feed, which I've always done because my work schedule has always been so erratic, and especially if we leave dry food out for them at night. If you can schedule their eating to twice a day, it'll help to control their weight. I can only imagine the mewtiny I would have on my hands if I tried that after all these years plus changing their food, too.

He also asked me if she had been vomiting and she hadn't and her appetite has been good. So guess who just now vomited? Honestly. So now I don't know if it's the meds that she was just given or what. Can any of my cats get something normal like a sty? LOL

lvpets2002
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
:( Awee poor wittle Pidgelet.. Get Better Soon.. Sending Positive Vibes & Lots of Prayers..

cassiesmom
10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Pidge, sweety, I hope this is just a passing thing. Prayers and good thoughts from Chicago.

pomtzu
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I can only imagine the mewtiny I would have on my hands if I tried that after all these years plus changing their food, too.

He also asked me if she had been vomiting and she hadn't and her appetite has been good. So guess who just now vomited? Honestly. So now I don't know if it's the meds that she was just given or what.

I hear ya' on the mewtiny issue - we'd have the same around here. They hardly eat any dry food durning the day, and I'm pretty sure not much at night either, since Myndi and Sparky will bark when they hear the faintest sound during the night. They must have inherited their "bigness" since I don't think they would be considered fat. It's just that they have "jelly bellies"!

And maybe the vomiting was from the stress of going to the vet - or a combo of that and the meds. I hope she's doing okay now!

Medusa
10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
And maybe the vomiting was from the stress of going to the vet - or a combo of that and the meds. I hope she's doing okay now!

I'm thinking you're right. It was all food. I think she may have done the 'scarf 'n' barf' routine.

Hey, did you save me some pumpkin bread? :p

catmandu
10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
:love:THE FOUND CATS ARE ADDING DEAR PIDGELET TO THIER PRAYERS, THAT HER MEEEWOMIE WONT LOSE ANOTHER DEAR OLD FRIEND.
IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD GOD , PLEASE LET OUR DEAR FRIEND PIDGELET BE ALL RIGHT.
TAHNK YOU FROM THE FOUND CATS , PORCH CATS AND RESCUED CATS AND ALL OF OUR ANGELS.:love:
AND OUR FEEDER TOO:love:

pomtzu
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking you're right. It was all food. I think she may have done the 'scarf 'n' barf' routine.

Hey, did you save me some pumpkin bread? :p

Glad that she doing okay - whew!!! - don't they just scare the devil out of you sometimes???

I'm being tortured by the smell of pumpkin bread. I used a new recipe and it said for it to taste even better - let it sit for 24 hours. Since I want to get the maxium goodness out of it - I'm restraining myself. :rolleyes: My DIL is having a fit since I won't cut it till morning. So come on - you've got time to get here for pumpkin bread and coffee!!:D

Medusa
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Glad that she doing okay - whew!!! - don't they just scare the devil out of you sometimes???

I'm being tortured by the smell of pumpkin bread. I used a new recipe and it said for it to taste even better - let it sit for 24 hours. Since I want to get the maxium goodness out of it - I'm restraining myself. :rolleyes: My DIL is having a fit since I won't cut it till morning. So come on - you've got time to get here for pumpkin bread and coffee!!:D

I'll be right there. Until then, tell DIL to keep her mitts off my pumpkin bread! ;)

Medusa
10-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Awww, Pidgelet...just snuggle up to your Boo man, he'll take care of you!:love:

Y'know, this reminds me....when my Peeka was so sick and we were waiting til her vet appt., I said to Boo "Why don't you cuddle up w/your sis? She needs some comforting". He went right over to her, laid down and put his "arm" around her. They were brother and sister and when she went to the Bridge, he walked around the house for days calling for her. If anything would happen to Boo, I know that's how Pidge would be affected. Animals have such emotion. :love:

Medusa
10-17-2008, 06:21 PM
She's feeling kinda punk. So I covered her w/my blankie and she's all nice and warm and cozy. I think I may see if she'll sleep in my room tonight. I'm afraid she might miss Boo Bear, though.

Karen
10-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Aww, she looks so cozy! Give a her a cuddle for me, okay? I can only do so by proxy, because of my allergies, so distance doesn't matter. And she just looks so snuggly and soft!

Catlady711
10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I hope whatever is going on with her heals up quickly. I'll keep you in my thoughts for a quick recovery.

BTW what pain meds did they give you for her? When Dusty needed pain meds they tried Meticam but when that stopped working she was switched to Tramadol.

jenluckenbach
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Continued prayers for Pidge.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope whatever is going on with her heals up quickly. I'll keep you in my thoughts for a quick recovery.

BTW what pain meds did they give you for her? When Dusty needed pain meds they tried Meticam but when that stopped working she was switched to Tramadol.

I didn't get pain meds for her. One of the other vets was supposed to call me today and didn't. This is why I insist on Dr. Lee. He doesn't forget things. I'll call them tomorrow and ask. They'll UPS them to me in one day.

Catlady711
10-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I didn't get pain meds for her. One of the other vets was supposed to call me today and didn't. This is why I insist on Dr. Lee. He doesn't forget things. I'll call them tomorrow and ask. They'll UPS them to me in one day.

Ah ok, guess I misread then. I hope whatever they send you works well and your kitty feels better soon.

Medusa
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Ah ok, guess I misread then. I hope whatever they send you works well and your kitty feels better soon.

After my RB Puddy had her kidney removed, Dr. Lee put her on Torbutrol but I imagine that's probably too strong for spondylosis. I'm just guessing, though. I don't know. When I talk to the vet tomorrow, I'll ask if I can give her some that I still have left over. I don't want to take any chances w/anything right now, especially since she's feeling so punk. She's gone this long w/out pain meds; another couple of days won't hurt her and she isn't acting as though she's hurting.

Emeraldgreen
10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Good thing you brought her in! Sounds like the infection may not have gone away on it's own. I hope the combo of meds help to make her well soon and that she stops sniffling.
Prayers going out that the xrays next month prove that it is only calcification going on and nothing more serious. You've had a hard enough time already. Only good news should be coming your way for quite some time! :) At least that's how it should be!!

Medusa
10-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Pidge is having a rough time of it. I took her upstairs w/me and she hopped up into bed right away so I thought maybe she'd snuggle in but she couldn't lie still. She kept moving from spot to spot on the bed, finally jumped down and went downstairs into the kitchen and laid in front of the fridge. I had moved a litterbox and a fountain and food upstairs but there's nothing on the main floor so I figured she might do better downstairs w/Boo Bear. She went into a litterbox and peed a little, then went into another litterbox and let out a weird meow. Then she came out and vomited. I think the Cyproheptadine is upsetting her stomach. I seem to recall that happening when she was on it for the paint allergy, too. I think Dr. Lee wants to increase her appetite a little, which the Cyproheptadine does, because she's lost 1 3/4 lbs. since May. She hasn't eaten since she vomited earlier this evening. I sure hope she's going to be ok. I have a bad feeling. I hope that feeling is just a layover from the Puddy episode.

mamaducky
10-17-2008, 10:45 PM
My goodness -- it doesn't seem fair that you're having to go through all this worry and anxiety so soon after sweet Puddy's passing. (I guess "fair" has nothing to do with it, though, does it?)

We'll all be praying for sweet Pidgelet (what a beautiful little girl she is!) and hoping that she's feeling much better very soon.

Snuggles to Pidge, and ((((HUGS)))) to you!

Much love,
Diana

Medusa
10-18-2008, 07:30 AM
I spoke w/another vet at the clinic this morning. He's going to call a different antihistamine in for Pidge at my pharmacy. She can't seem to keep the Cyproheptadine down so he feels it isn't doing her any good. She's still so congested. I checked on her during the night and she moved around a lot but she preferred to stay in the basement w/the Fur Posse so I didn't want to stress her by insisting that she sleep w/me. I just want her to feel better. As for pain meds, he deferred to Dr. Lee and feels it might be best to talk to him on Monday. I really don't think she's in any serious pain so that can wait but the vomiting relief can't.

phesina
10-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Prayers and healing energies and strengthening vibes are being sent from us to beautiful Pidgie.

Hugs and purrs, and gentle pets to the Lady

pomtzu
10-18-2008, 09:40 AM
She hasn't eaten since she vomited earlier this evening. I sure hope she's going to be ok. I have a bad feeling. I hope that feeling is just a layover from the Puddy episode.

I was hoping to read a better report this morning. :( Hopefully it's just the med upsetting her tummy and she'll do better on the new one. Did she eat anything and keep it down this morning?
As for you Ms Mary - think positive!! - no doom and gloom allowed!!!!!

And speaking of positive - the pumpkin bread is positively delicious!:D

Medusa
10-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I was hoping to read a better report this morning. :( Hopefully it's just the med upsetting her tummy and she'll do better on the new one. Did she eat anything and keep it down this morning?
As for you Ms Mary - think positive!! - no doom and gloom allowed!!!!!

And speaking of positive - the pumpkin bread is positively delicious!:D

I fed everyone the new canned Science diet this morning, thinking that I'd have to add some FF to it, but decided instead to just put it down and see what would happen. They all loved it including Pidge. She ate and kept it down this morning, so I'm feeling better now. I know the vibe was still in the air after all the Puddy trauma. When I was driving Pidge to the vet yesterday, I thought to myself that the last time I made that drive, Puddy was on her way to the Bridge and it was depressing. I think, though, that Pidgelet is holding her own and, hopefully, I'll see some improvement soon.

Good to hear about the pumpkin bread. Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Medusa
10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
On my way to my local vet right now. Pidge is crying and her tongue is hanging out just like Puddy's was. This can't be happening again. PLEASE PRAY!

Purr-tender
10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh my gosh! This is scary. You must be frantic. Prayers going up for Pidge and for you!!

Mary

Medusa
10-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Just got home. Dr. Butera did another chest x-ray and Pidge's lungs were beginning to fill w/fluid. She feels that Pidge has cardiomyopathy but couldn't do an ultrasound because her heart rate was at 360, triple what it should be, so it would be too difficult to do and to read. I asked her point blank how long Pidge could live and she said that she knows of a cat who has lived w/it for 6 years but Pidge is 18 1/2. She could just die suddenly or throw a blood clot and become paralyzed at which point I would have her PTS. She sent me home w/Lasix for her as a diuretic, Azithromycin which is another antibiotic to layer on top of the Convenia shot she had yesterday and Enalapril which is a heart medication. She's to go back in on Monday for a recheck and blood work to check her thyroid. Dr. B gave me her cell phone number in case Pidge has any problems between now and Monday, which I think is incredibly nice of her.

I'm furious w/Dr. Lee's office. I called there crying, saying that Pidge is getting worse and that I was really scared. I was told that Dr. Lee is out and Dr. Feeman couldn't come to the phone. I said "Well, I need to talk to someone. She's really in distress! She's crying and her tongue is hanging out." She said "I'll try to find a tech for you". I waited and finally hung up and called Dr. B. I realize that I'm not their only client but on occasion Dr. Lee has taken a call when he was examining one of my cats, so if they could hear how frantic I was, then they just didn't care. I intend to call Dr. Lee first thing Monday morning and let him know that I didn't appreciate the treatment that I got. No one called me back last night and I was put off today. I'm not an alarmist who calls about every little thing but when I'm crying and saying that I'm scared, that should've alerted them that it was a desperate call.

Pidge seems to be comfortable right now. She's not a vocal cat, she never cries, so when I heard her cry, I knew right away she was in trouble. I heard her cry more in these last two hours than I have in the last 16 years. I'm sorry if my post doesn't make much sense. I'm still very angry and upset at the treatment that my Pidgie Pie got.

Catty1
10-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Good to hear that Pidge is more comfy now. I am sure the meds will help a bit.

I hope by Monday you have calmed down to put your energy into healing energy for Pidge, and to just leave Dr Lee's office alone. I am sure he will hear about the call. I know you are upset and angry so soon after losing Puddy, but don't waste energy you don't have. JMO - it will only increase bad energy all around.

You do have another vet to go to. Just gently suggesting you focus on Puddy for now.

How is her tongue? Maybe more B vitamins after her checkup will help. Is her Boo man with her?

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Good to hear that Pidge is more comfy now. I am sure the meds will help a bit.

I hope by Monday you have calmed down to put your energy into healing energy for Pidge, and to just leave Dr Lee's office alone. I am sure he will hear about the call. I know you are upset and angry so soon after losing Puddy, but don't waste energy you don't have. JMO - it will only increase bad energy all around.

You do have another vet to go to. Just gently suggesting you focus on Puddy for now.

How is her tongue? Maybe more B vitamins after her checkup will help. Is her Boo man with her?

{{{{hugs}}}}

Dr. Feeman just now called me and he was shocked when I told him what Pidge's heart rate was. He said "Wow! How did she even get a reading?!" I said "Now can you see why I was so upset? I didn't have any time to waste." He said that I made the right decision in going to Dr. B. but he feels that I should have the ultrasound done on Monday and Dr. Lee can read it. Dr. B. told me that she isn't an expert at reading it. So now I don't know what to do. I need to calm down for sure. I know that Saturdays are difficult for vet clinics but, as I said, I'm not an alarmist and one of the front desk women had just called to ask how Pidge is doing and I told her that she hasn't improved and that I'm worried. It wasn't 30 minutes later that I called them back w/my frantic call. I see your point, Candace, truly, and it isn't my style to go on the attack. But when it comes to my cats, since they have no voice, I have to speak for them and if that means yelling to make myself heard, then I'll yell.

Dr. B. feels that Pidge's tongue was hanging out because she was having a hard time breathing and that could be the case but I know my cats and I know when they're distressed and I'm not talking about a cute little tip of the tongue sticking out; I'm talking about it all the way out. It just isn't normal. I was told not to give the B vitamins by both vets until she gets the ultrasound and blood work done.

Catty1
10-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm glad Dr Freeman called.

Is her tongue ok now?

So, did Dr Freeman mean to have the ultrasound done there - or done by Dr B and she can send it there somehow?

{{{{hugs}}}} to your pretty girl.

Medusa
10-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm glad Dr Freeman called.

Is her tongue ok now?

So, did Dr Freeman mean to have the ultrasound done there - or done by Dr B and she can send it there somehow?

{{{{hugs}}}} to your pretty girl.

No, he meant for me to bring her in to Dr. Lee and have the ultrasound done there. May as well since Dr. B told me that she can't read them, so it would just be a longer wait. I don't want to hurt Dr. B's feelings in any way. She's been incredibly thoughtful and helpful to me both w/Puddy and Pidge but I have to do what's best for Pidge and not waste time. As it is, I'm afraid that she doesn't have much time left. She's developing congestive heart failure and given her age, it probably isn't good but I want to keep her as comfortable as I can. I'm just so upset. I thought I was out of tears when Puddy died and now this.

Her tongue is back in her mouth right now, thank goodness.

pomtzu
10-18-2008, 02:38 PM
After reading your earlier post, all I could think was "Good Lord - NO - why are you putting Mary thru this? Enough is enough!!"
I hope Pidge is stabalized for now and the meds will soon kick in. Maybe if you don't let her lay around too much and make her move around some, that it will help along with the Lasix to keep more fluid out of her lungs.
I know you must be caught between a rock and a hard place concerning both vets. It just sounds to me -IMO- that Dr. Lee's practice is maybe too big to give the personal attention that Dr. B can. It seems like it's his staff and not him, but unfortunately there's no way to get around dealing with them first before you can get thru to him or another vet. It must be totally frustrating for you.
Of course you know that the poochies and I are sending well wishes and prayers for Pidge, and you also. :love:

Catty1
10-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I hope Pidge has a guardian angel in Puddy. :love:

She may pull through fine...if she never has been really sick, her system might be a little stronger.

Though we cat people wouldn't have it any other way, we take loving and good care of our babies, and they live to ripe old ages. And the more that happens, the more chance there is that something will just wear out after a long life.

It isn't fair at all. We never have enough time with them.:(:love:

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-18-2008, 02:50 PM
After reading your earlier post, all I could think was "Good Lord - NO - why are you putting Mary thru this? Enough is enough!!"
I hope Pidge is stabalized for now and the meds will soon kick in. Maybe if you don't let her lay around too much and make her move around some, that it will help along with the Lasix to keep more fluid out of her lungs.
I know you must be caught between a rock and a hard place concerning both vets. It just sounds to me -IMO- that Dr. Lee's practice is maybe too big to give the personal attention that Dr. B can. It seems like it's his staff and not him, but unfortunately there's no way to get around dealing with them first before you can get thru to him or another vet. It must be totally frustrating for you.
Of course you know that the poochies and I are sending well wishes and prayers for Pidge, and you also. :love:

No, it isn't Dr. Lee or actually even Dr. Feeman. I've got to get the point across to Dr. Lee, since it's his clinic, that when someone calls crying and saying "I'm scared! She can't breathe and her tongue is hanging out!" that it isn't a frivolous call. Both Dr. F and Dr. B said that if I had waited, Pidge may not have made it. Her lungs were already beginning to fill w/fluid. When that happened to Puddy, she was gone in an hour, so I knew that I didn't have any time to waste. By the time Dr. F called me back, it was 1 1/2 hours past closing time, so even though it was nice of him to finally call, it wouldn't have done me any good because their clinic is an hour away and everyone would've been gone.

Dr. B and her tech both commented on how strong Pidge is. She really fought them. So maybe she stands a good chance of the meds working and I'll have her for a little while longer. But I thought that way about Puddy, too. I don't want to sound defeatist but congestive heart failure is serious and when a cat is as old as Pidge, it's tough for them to fight. Dr. F told me to keep a close watch on her over the weekend. WHY does this always happen on a weekend??? She's going to sleep w/me tonight, like it or not. I'll never sleep a wink, knowing that she could be downstairs and not breathing.

jenluckenbach
10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Oh Mary, {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} This is so SCARY! :eek: Many MANY prayers coming your way for Pidge.

phesina
10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh, Mary, you and your kitties have really been through it all lately..

I'm so glad Pidge is doing a little better now. We are praying that the ultrasound goes well.

Hugs to you and gentle pets to Pidgie.

Love,
Pat and cats

Medusa
10-18-2008, 05:39 PM
She's calmed down quite a bit. Her breathing isn't as labored as it was so I guess the Lasix injection is working. My son called and he heard her cry and he said "Is that her? I don't think I've ever heard her meow". I hope she has a restful night and that the ultrasound will give us a better idea of what's going on.

pomtzu
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Rest well tonight - both of you!

Catty1
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Wishing you both a peaceful rest.:love:

Anikaca77
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Major prays are being sent your way.

Prays and more hugs!

Melissa

slick
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Mary: I'm not very good with words. It seems like you have been through so much lately with Puddy and now it's dear wittle Pidgelet who is needing care. This whole thread just breaks my heart. I can't believe that you got such a reception when you called the vet's office. What are you....a number??? That was so uncaring and not to mention very unprofessional. You deserved better and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Just know that I'm sending lots of {{{hugs}}} and prayers for you and little Pidgelet.:love::love:

Medusa
10-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Well, I'm calmer this morning because Pidge is calmer. She slept w/me last night and she got up several times to eat, drink and use the litterbox. She's still very congested, though, so the antihistamine isn't helping much yet. I'm going to put her in the bathroom and steam her in a little while. She's never been a lap cat but on occasion, she'd hop up on the sofa beside me and tap my arm as if to say "Mom, could I please have some attention?" So I wondered how sleeping w/me was going to go but she actually curled up w/me at one point.

I apologize for my rant yesterday but I still feel the necessity to talk to Dr. Lee about the treatment I received. As I said, it isn't he that gave me such treatment. I think you all know from my previous posts how I feel about him: he hung the moon. And I'm not a prima donna; I don't expect preferential treatment even though, at times, he has given me such but that was at his discretion and not something that I would ever demand. I also realize that his staff is trained to use their judgment on which calls are important enough to interrupt a vet. That's my beef. The person that I spoke to did not use good judgment. When someone is crying and saying that her cat can't breathe and that her tongue is hanging out and that she's scared, that should have been a red flag. How much more obvious can you get? Plus the staff all know me and my history and I had just been there the day before and had told them 30 minutes earlier that day that Pidge was not improving. I could tell when speaking to Dr. F that he was remorseful, not because of anything that he did, but because the call had not been put through to him. The clincher was putting me on hold for what seemed like an eternity during such a crisis to the point where I had to hang up and no one even bothered to call back to see if we had been disconnected or what the problem was. Dr. F did finally call me but not until 4 hours later. Pidge could've been dead by then had I waited for his call. My vindication came when Dr. F told me that I did the right thing by hanging up and going to Dr. B. Otherwise, Pidge would not have lived. Those words rang in my ears all night.

So I'll take Pidge in for the ultrasound tomorrow and have them do blood work as well to check for thyroid because Dr. B says that sometimes thyroid is a contributing factor in cardiomyopathy. I have to call her in the morning and explain why I'm not going back to her and I sure don't want to hurt her feelings. She's been a jewel. But she can't interpret ultrasound readings so I just don't have the time to waste going back and forth and I don't want to stress Pidge any more than necessary.

For now, Pidgelet is holding her own. No more crying, at least. That was breaking my heart. She'd open her mouth wide like a crying baby and I felt like such a traitor, turning her over to the whitecoats when it's her mom she wanted but those whitecoats saved her life. That and my PT friends' prayers. Thank you again, dear ones. It's much appreciated. :love:

jenluckenbach
10-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I am so glad that she is feeling better. I'll probably be holding my breath until the ultrasound is over. MANY prayers!!

Medusa
10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
She seems to be getting bad again. She just did that cry that she did yesterday when I had to take her to the vet. Now she's hiding under the buffet and she never goes there. If you can spare the time, please pray for my Pidgelet. I just do not want her to suffer.

Purr-tender
10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh poor Pidge. :( Major prayers for both of you.

Medusa
10-19-2008, 10:51 AM
It's so heartbreaking to hear. It's more like a wail than a cry. I just love her so much. She's so sweet!

Purr-tender
10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Are you going to call her vet? I would. If her heart rate is like it was yesterday it may be frightening her to feel that way. My heart hurts for you.

Praying,
Mary

Medusa
10-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Are you going to call her vet? I would. If her heart rate is like it was yesterday it may be frightening her to feel that way. My heart hurts for you.

Praying,
Mary

Well, she's calmed down again. I'm closely watching her. I'm not even dressed yet. We slept in til 8:00 this morning and I was busy making charts of medications for her and the rest of the Fur Posse, plus posting on PT, etc. I want to take a shower but I'm afraid I won't hear her if she needs me. She seems to be comfortable, though, so I may take the chance. Thanx for your prayers, Mary. It means the world to me. It's times like this when I really want my daddy and my late friend Helen. They'd know just what to say to comfort me.

jazzcat
10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh Mary, I'm sorry. I sure hope little Pidge is going to be okay. I'm sure her cries are heartbreaking and stressful for you.

Prayers on the way.

Queen of Poop
10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Cali and I are sitting here having a little cuddle and saying a prayer for Pidgelet and you.

pomtzu
10-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh no Mary - how frighteing for you and Pidge. Is she still hiding under the buffet? It's so scary when they are sick and then start hiding too. Prayers going out to you and Pidge! I wish I could do more!

Catty1
10-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I hope her meds help her again...and I hope that maybe her cry is also one of genuine confusion because she doesn't know why she feels bad.

Are any of the meds diuretics, Mary?

Many prayers for you and that lovely Pidglet. :love:

phesina
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh not again.. I am so sorry for both you and Pidge, Mary. Prayers are continuing.

Anikaca77
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Many prays still coming your way and Pidgelet be strong tomorrow, I know the going to the vets sucks but they are trying to help you. As you told me a lot with my dear sweet Anika Keep the Faith.

Melissa

momoffuzzyfaces
10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Lots of prayers on the way from me too! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that Pidgelet is so sick and that you're having to go through all of this stress.:( She'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

momtomany
10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Prayers for the Dunn gang continuing for you and Pidge.

jenluckenbach
10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
The prayers are never ending.

jennielynn1970
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh gosh Mary, how heartbreaking. I hope that Pidge will start to feel better and not be in pain.

I hope the ultrasound will be able to tell you more tomorrow, and that it won't be anything bad.

Big hugs and thoughts going out to you and Pidge. I'm so sorry you're going through this right now!

Scooter's Mom
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I have been following this, but have not posted yet.
My thoughts are with you and Pidge. I know how much you love her, and she you. I hope the ultrasound tomorrow can provide some answers for you.

kimlovescats
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I am just now reading this thread for the first time. I am so very sorry you are having to deal with this and I pray that little Pidglet is better soon!

Medusa
10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
We had a fairly uneventful day except for one brief episode of wailing. (I wailed, too. Silently.) She's not gurgling much, most wheezing now but she's weak and sometimes can't hop up on the sofa so I have to lift her, which is probably what I should do anyhow since her heart is weak. I'm having blood work done tomorrow, too, to see if her thyroid is a contributing factor in the congestive heart failure. Dr. B felt that Pidge may have had a small heart attack. If it is thyroid related, she may stand a good chance of having at least another year, according to Dr. F. If her heart is in bad shape, then, well, I don't even want to verbalize it. To lose her at any time would be painful enough but so soon after losing Puddy would just be cruel. But it's all part of being a pet owner. ( I dislike the word "owner" but you know what I mean.) Somehow feeling this sorrow is bittersweet. I wouldn't have it any other way. Not that I would want her to suffer but I feel privileged that she chose me as her mom and that I'll get to be w/her right up until she makes that Trip.

I'll post as soon as I know what Dr. Lee has to say about the ultrasound and blood work, although I doubt that the blood work will be back the same day. Thanx for all the kind words and encouragement, friends. It's what's keeping me going.

Sevaede
10-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh no! :( I hope and wish that Pidgelet starts to feel better or more at ease soon! Good vibes, hoping she gets well!*hugs* for you.

Catty1
10-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Prayers that she can be treated and be comfortable. If it's the thyroid, she may have lots of quality time left yet.

Glad to hear the gurgling is settling down.:love:

Emeraldgreen
10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm so sorry to read what's been going on for the last 2 days!! You must be so scared. I'm praying that they find something with her thyroid so it can be managed and she will have more time.
I don't blame you for being completely upset with the reception staff at the Dr. Lee's clinic. As you said, it's not just that they didn't get a vet or tech on the phone for you but when you were no longer on the line when they returned, they didn't call back?!?! Totally unacceptable. Even if you were a fairly new client there, they should have taken the time to call you back. But you are a client who has gone there for years, and spent a fair amount of money on your pets there and you have just gone through a loss right at their hospital.
I agree that your energy should be focused on Pidge right now and that is what is most important but when the time is right, Dr. Lee should know how things are being handled up front. I'm sure he will address the situation.

I'm so glad you took matters into your own hands and went to Dr. B. though.
Does the lasix make cats pee more to get rid of the excess fluid? I was wondering if on top of everything that she is feeling, if her bladder might be irritated by that. I don't know anything about it though, it's just a thought.

I hope that Pidge will be able to sleep tonight, and you too. And that you will have more answers in the morning. Prayers going out for you and your sweet Pidgelet. :love:

Medusa
10-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Does the lasix make cats pee more to get rid of the excess fluid?

Yes, it's supposed to and she was up a lot during the night but the amount of urine that's in the litterbox as opposed to what is usually there concerns me. She usually does a flood but the puddles are small now. My little sweetie pie had a restless night. She cried a lot, sometimes wailed. She normally isn't a lap cat; she usually sits beside me on the sofa and pats my arm to let me know she wants to be petted. Last night, though, she wanted to be as close to me as possible. I even held her at one point because that seemed to be what she wanted but after a few minutes, she wanted do just lie down in the bed.

I remember experiencing this w/my RB peke-a-poo Charmin. The night she passed she was so restless and she panted a lot, wanted to be held, then let down. She died of congestive heart failure and she wailed like that, too. My chest has been so tight since all this started; sympathy pangs I guess. My heart hurts for Pidgelet, not only because she's sick but because she's scared. And that's one emotion I can't bear to see in an animal. When I sense fear in them, it breaks my heart.

Well, I'm getting emotional so I'll post when I come home from Dr. Lee's. Please pray that it's thyroid that's causing this; that can be managed for a little while anyhow. I just want my girl to be comfortable and never have another fearful day.

Medusa
10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I just got home from dropping Pidge off for the ultrasound. I'll pick her up at 4:00. I could've waited for a couple of hours, run errands, etc. but I wouldn't have been able to talk to Dr. Lee then. He leaves after surgery, then comes back in the evening. So I opted to leave her there til then. She may have to be sedated anyhow because she was fairly stressed; she cried most of the drive there. I'm just so concerned about her. I have no food in this house so I need to get groceries during my wait but I don't like to grocery shop in this mood. I come home w/weird stuff and nothing that I need. Oh well, I'm rambling, so I'll post after I talk to Dr. Lee and Pidge is home and settled.

Anikaca77
10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Prays coming that you remain calm for Pidgelet and that it is only a thyroid problem.

Prays for Pidgelet to remain calm while the white coats are just trying to help you.

Catty1
10-20-2008, 09:18 AM
{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Prays coming that you remain calm for Pidgelet and that it is only a thyroid problem.

Prays for Pidgelet to remain calm while the white coats are just trying to help you.

Well, it wouldn't be only a thyroid problem; it would be that the thyroid is contributing to the congestive heart failure. But if it is thyroid, it's treatable and that would keep her from developing CHF. And I thank you for the prayers. We'll take 'em! :) And the hugs, too, Candace. ;)

pomtzu
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
We're continuing to think positive thoughts here! :)

orangemm
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
(((hugs))) I am so sorry to hear about your baby. Praying really hard for good news.

Come on, Pidgelet!! We're all rooting for you! (and you, too, Mary):love:

Emeraldgreen
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, it's supposed to and she was up a lot during the night but the amount of urine that's in the litterbox as opposed to what is usually there concerns me. She usually does a flood but the puddles are small now. My little sweetie pie had a restless night. She cried a lot, sometimes wailed.

That's what I was thinking, that it should be alot of pee and on Oct. 17 you wrote:

She went into a litterbox and peed a little, then went into another litterbox and let out a weird meow.

and I know she wasn't yet on the Lasix at this point but I figured her pee in the box would/should be alot more now that she is on it. Do you think it's possible that she could have crystals or a URI as well? If she could get rid of the fluid comfortably and regularly, it might help her feel better with her lungs and with her bladder. If the Lasix isn't able to do it's job, then the fluid build up might be making her feel panicky.
She may not have an issue with peeing but you mentioned that it's less than normal and now it should be more than normal and it's not. Maybe Dr. Lee could do a urinalysis while she is under anesthesia?
Prayers and {{{great big HUGS}}} going out.

p.s. Maybe buy some freshly baked pumpkin bread at the store. That could be the first item on your list. ;) Can't go wrong with that, though home made is probably better.

GILL
10-20-2008, 12:12 PM
The CREW and I have Pidgelet and you in our prayers. These times are always hard and we hope that she is comfortable and recovering.

Medusa
10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Dr. Lee called after the ultrasound and ekg. He said that the Lasix is apparently doing its job because her lungs are clear. He said that the mass that we saw on her x-ray last week is gone, so he thinks it may have been fluid starting to build up. Now that's scary! Her heart rate today was 268, which is high, but when I told him that it was at 360 on Saturday, he said "What??? Are you sure?" I said "She did a reading 4 times to be sure". I told him how labored her breathing was and that her tongue was hanging out and that she was wailing and that's why I hung up and went to Dr. B because time was of the essence. He said "You'd better believe time was of the essence. She was on her way out! That's the kind of behavior you do when you're dying!" So. I feel vindicated in being so upset on Friday w/the receptionist at his office because, had I waited, Pidge would not be here.

He said "The more I talk to you, the more I believe that she was in tachycardia. The blood work will tell me whether or not it's due to hyperthyroidism". I was to go in to pick her up at 4:00 but he asked that I wait until 5:30 because the blood work will be back by then and he'll be able to go over everything w/me and show me the x-rays and ekg. I also asked that a urine test be done to check for crystals and/or a URI, Lara, because what you said makes sense. What would I do w/out you??? I asked a tech if the Lasix should make Pidge pee more and she said "Yes, it should, why?" and I told her that her puddles in the litterbox are smaller, not larger. She said "Hmmm, that's strange. I think you're right to ask for urine testing".

So I can see that this day is going to be a 4 figure one but, heck, I would've spent that on Puddy anyhow, so what's the dif? I'm really starting to look like a cat lady, though. I was going to buy a few new fall items of clothing because I really haven't bought any clothes in quite a while, just some summer things and it's getting too chilly to wear them. Looks like I'll have to make do for a while. Y'know, if Dr. Lee would tell me that she's hyperthyroid, it would make my day. Of course, I don't want her to have that either but it's better than cardiomyopathy, which he straight up told me that he hasn't ruled out yet.

Sorry to go on so much but I thought that I'd update you so that you wouldn't have this to read plus what he has to tell me this evening. Prayers are still appreciated. As for the pumpkin bread, I bought a slice of pumpkin cake w/cream cheese. It was so sweet, I ate 3 bites and couldn't finish it. Pomtzu made me think about nothing else ever since she told me she was baking some. :)

pomtzu
10-20-2008, 01:39 PM
It was so sweet, I ate 3 bites and couldn't finish it. Pomtzu made me think about nothing else ever since she told me she was baking some. :)

PM me your address and I'll send you a couple - and mine aren't sickening sweet! I'll be doing more baking in earnest in a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation!

That's good news so far about Pidge - no fluid in her lungs and the mass is gone. Lucky Pidge that you got her help in time. Hopefully you'll get more promising news when you pick her up later. Fingers, toes, paws, wiskers - all crossed here!! :)

Medusa
10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
PM me your address and I'll send you a couple - and mine aren't sickening sweet! I'll be doing more baking in earnest in a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation!

That's good news so far about Pidge - no fluid in her lungs and the mass is gone. Lucky Pidge that you got her help in time. Hopefully you'll get more promising news when you pick her up later. Fingers, toes, paws, wiskers - all crossed here!! :)

I wasn't hinting, Ellie, truly I wasn't. (Did that come across as sincere enough? LOL) Thanx for your generous offer, even if I did extort it out of you. And thanx for the prayers. My little girl needs them.

Anikaca77
10-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Here too!

pomtzu
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I wasn't hinting, Ellie, truly I wasn't. (Did that come across as sincere enough? LOL) Thanx for your generous offer, even if I did extort it out of you. And thanx for the prayers. My little girl needs them.

Hey - I didn't take it as a hint - more of a compliment of sorts. And I'm serious! I love baking for people!! :D

Medusa
10-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey - I didn't take it as a hint - more of a compliment of sorts. And I'm serious! I love baking for people!! :D

Maybe it's a good thing we don't live near each other. I felt my hips expand just talking about this. ;)

phesina
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
We're all in there praying and chanting and dancing and sending our healing energies along to dear Pidgelet.

Love from us

Medusa
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, it's the worst possible news. Pidge isn't hyperthyroid; she has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. In a nutshell, Dr. Lee said "Your cat could die at any time, even tonight. She's a ticking time bomb." To add to it, her kidneys are bad, so he can't put her on subQ's because she needs Lasix to keep the fluids out. He put her on a beta blocker, too. Here's the worst part of this whole day: I felt like I had been punched in the stomach; I couldn't even cry. So when I left I didn't notice that Dr. Lee hadn't signed the prescriptions! So when I got to my pharmacy, they wouldn't fill anything. So Pidge has no Lasix, only one prescription that Dr. Lee called in. The other prescription that she needed, he wrote two separate doses. One said to give her 1/4 tablet once a day, the other said 1/4 tablet 4 times a day. The pharmacist said to me "This is inexcusable. Does he not know how to write a Rx? I will not take responsibility for killing your cat w/an overdose." So of course, Dr. Lee's clinic was closed by the time all this transpired, so all I could do was leave him a voice mail. Pidge has one Rx to see her through tonight and according to the pharmacist, it should hold her over until she can get some Lasix in the morning. She won't have any tonight. When Dr. Lee picks up that voice mail, he's going to need asbestos earmuffs to listen to it, I was so bloody angry! I paid a huge sum of money to be told that my cat is going to die, only to find out that he wasn't even attentive enough to write a proper Rx to keep her comfortable tonight. To say I'm angry is a gross understatement. He and I WILL talk tomorrow, I guarantee it!

Anikaca77
10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Awww Mary I'm so sorry. You have been through so much lately and I can't even image what you are going through right now. I went through what you did, Anika was laid to rest 2 weeks exactly today and I've been following this thread hoping for the best for Pidge.

I'm so sorry Dr. Lee didn't pay attention to what he was doing. That's just not right. I sure hope you can make Pidge comfortable tonight.

I don't blame you for being angry. Poor Pidgelet.

Mary all I can say right now is that I'm praying and thinking of your and Pidgelet tonight and tomorrow and however long you need us to pray for we will be here.

Prays & Hugs,
Melissa & Rob
Anika (RIP Oct. 6, 2008), Claudia, Ashley, Sebastian, Hermes, Fiona, Athena, and Osiris

jazzcat
10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh Mary ((((HUGS))). I just popped in to get an update on Pidge and my heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry the news is this bad. I pray that Pidge isn't in pain and that you can make the most of your time with her.

The vet not signing the prescriptions is a terrible mistake. I totally understand your anger.

Prairie Purrs
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh, dear. I'm so sorry. My thoughts will be with you and Pidge tonight.

Scooter's Mom
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Sending my thoughts to you and Pidge.

Catty1
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I can't even imagine how upset you must be about the prescriptions being unsigned and inaccurate!

Mary, I found a bit of info you can look at when you're up to it. While meds won't prolong Pidge's life, they can make it more comfy.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyp-cardio.html

For cats with hypertophic cardiomyopathy, drugs such as diltiazem (trade name Cardizem), propranolol (trade name Inderal), and atenolol (trade name Tenormin) can help reduce heart rate and relax the thickened heart muscle. This disease may lead to congestive heart failure, for which veterinarians often prescribe low-salt diets and diuretics such as furosemide (Lasix®) to reduce fluid accumulation. Lasix® forces the kidneys to get rid of excess sodium and water. Vasodilators such as enalapril may be used as well to reduce blood pressure. If a cat is at risk for blood clots, vets sometimes prescribe small doses of "blood thinners" such as aspirin. But guardians should never give aspirin without consulting a veterinarian. While this medication is harmless to most humans, it can be toxic to cats.

Diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can include:

# X-rays - will reveal the presence of fluid in the lungs and chest cavity, and the silhouette of the heart itself. But the cardiac x-ray often looks normal and won't show the thickness of the heart muscle.
# Electrocardiography - records the electrical activity of the heart during and between contractions and may pick up abnormalities, such as muffled breathing sounds, extra heart sounds, or gallop rhythms due to the heart chamber enlargement.
# Cardiac Ultrasound (echocardiography) - shows thickness in the wall of the heart and how well blood is being pumped. This is usually the determining test of whether a cat has cardiomyopathy and will allow vets to categorize the disease.
# Cardiac Catheterization - this will make a specific diagnosis. But because anesthetic risk is high in cats with heart problems, and a definitive diagnosis doesn't change treatment in most cases, this procedure is rarely done.

I wondered about the echocardiogram...but that must have been the ultrasound she had.

Big hugs! I know the prognosis sucks...but she has been so healthy all her life, I pray that gives her a slight edge. Once she feels more comfy, "your" Pidge will be back, with her Boo man taking care of her...I hope you find some happiness in that. :love:

jenluckenbach
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am so sorry for this news. I won't even add fuel to the fire as to how mad I'd be with this vet mess. :mad: I'll just concentrate all my energy on prayers for Pidge. May the Lord give her as much pain-free time as possible,

mamaducky
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Mary, I can't find the words to tell you how sorry I am about this awful, awful turn of events -- but did want to let you know that you and sweet Pidge are in our thoughts and prayers.

Your situation in these past few weeks makes me think of something that Mother Teresa once said: "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." Hang in there, sweetheart!

(((((HUGS)))))

Diana

Moesha
10-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I just don't know what to say. I've tried and tried to come up with words of comfort and can't think of anything. Please know you are in my thoughts and I'm sending hugs your way.

Taz_Zoee
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Like others, I don't even know what to say. Just know you and Pidge are in my thoughts. I will be thinking of you two all night hoping she makes it several more weeks, if not months. At least long enough for you to give Dr Lee the earfull he deserves.

Big (((HUGS))) to you Mary!!!

jennielynn1970
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh gosh Mary. I'm so sorry to hear all of this. :(

I'll be thinking of you and Pidge. Big hugs from PA. :love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about Pidge.:( I'd also be extremely upset at my vet if this happened to me. I've now learned to try to read over everything before I leave so that if I have questions I can ask them right away. I sure hope that things start getting better in your life. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both to you and Pidge. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Emeraldgreen
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm so sorry. It shouldn't be this hard. I'm praying that she will be comfortable through the night and that you will be able to get the meds with the correct prescriptions tomorrow morning. The news is devastating and made so much worse when things are going wrong with meds and communication. I think it might be as you once said, that he is such a good vet that he has taken on so many clients but perhaps has taken on too much. I don't blame you for being angry but I pray that this will all somehow work out, that she will make it through tonight and get onto the meds tomorrow and... with LOTS AND LOTS OF PT PRAYERS, that she will go on to live with you for many, many more months and longer. I know Dr. Lee said that she could die at any moment and it is overwhelming. But she also could live on and it could work out. Please hang in there, keep the faith and know that we are with you. :love:

pomtzu
10-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Mary - like so many others, I just don't know that there is anything I can say to make you feel any better. You know that you and Pidge are in my prayers.
This whole situation is so distressing for you, but then to have Dr. Lee add to it is just totally inexcusable.
And lately it seems like so many of the PT pets - dogs, cats, young, old - have gone to the Bridge or are very sick. What's going on??? - I wish I knew. Every day anymore, it's just one sad story after another. Some days I don't even really want to read anything on PT! :(
Please remember the verse I sent to you before: "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." No matter what happens with Pidge, I hope you can find peace and comfort in this.
A gentle pat to Pidge and hugs to you Mary. :love:

Medusa
10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, Dr. Lee just called. He did not apologize but he did acknowledge that it was his responsibility to sign those Rx's. He said "I misunderstood. I thought you had enough meds from your local vet and I was simply writing down how you were to administer them". I said "I told your vet tech that I had none left and that it was imperative that Pidge get a Lasix at 10:30 AM" and he replied "She made it sound as though you didn't bring any w/you". I said "No, I told her that my vet gave me enough to get me through the weekend and that was it".

He called me on my landline, which annoyed me, because I specifically stated to call me on my cell and I gave him the number. Then he said "I'll call your pharmacy at ______" and I said "NO! That's MY number!" See, this is what I mean. Not enough attention to detail is being paid. We're all human and we all make mistakes but this is a biggie. Pidge needs that Lasix to keep the fluid out of her lungs. If you're not breathing, you're dying! My mother missed one dose of her Lasix and she died that night. And still, I feel that I need to keep coming to Dr. Lee's defense because he gave me years w/Puddy and Yodie that I never would have had. But he's got to have a staff meeting and stress the importance of paying attention to detail, no matter how busy the day, no matter how stressful the situation. It shouldn't be up to the client to be the watchdog. I had just gotten devastating news and if you had asked me my name at that moment, it's doubtful that I could've answered you.

GILL
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Dear Mary I and the CREW are so so sorry.

Anikaca77
10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
More prays that you can get Pidge the meds by 10:30

Medusa
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
More prays that you can get Pidge the meds by 10:30

I meant by 10:30 AM yesterday when she went in for the ultrasound, etc. I had no more Lasix and she needed to keep the fluid out of her lungs and from around her heart in order to breathe and for them to be able to get an accurate reading. I even called and double checked that they had given her the Lasix and they assured me that they had but it's what transpired afterwards that had/has me so upset.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 08:27 AM
In my haste to report how the situation w/Dr. Lee was rectified, I forgot to mention how Pidgelet is doing, the most important of all. Obviously, she made it through the night. At one point, I had finally drifted off to sleep, only to be awakened by her wailing. She went downstairs into the living room, stood in the middle of the floor and just wailed. I picked her up and took her back upstairs w/me where she spent the rest of the night and wailed intermittently. She ate w/the rest of the Fur Posse this morning, went back upstairs and laid on my bed and began wailing again. I think it may be anxiety or whenever she exerts herself perhaps her chest hurts and that's why she wails. This is the saddest time I've had in years.

I'm trying to stay positive for her but after she gets all these meds in her, she's to go back to Dr. Lee on Wednesday evening to be retested to see how they're working. If there is no improvement and she continues the wailing, I may have to help her to the Bridge. She's had too long and healthy a life for her to suffer now just because I want her to be w/me for a little while longer. W/Puddy it was different; she lived 4 1/2 years less time than Pidge and she had one challenge after another, so I felt I owed her. W/Pidge, I feel as though I owe her, too, but in a different way. I owe her peace.

jenluckenbach
10-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Here's praying that the meds work. My Shilo is on the Lasix, Enalapril and aspirin too because of heart problems (and he's a baby! 5 years old, or so). And I pray HE stays well, too. Supposedly the meds will help him, and they should help Pidge too.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Here's praying that the meds work. My Shilo is on the Lasix, Enalapril and aspirin too because of heart problems (and he's a baby! 5 years old, or so). And I pray HE stays well, too. Supposedly the meds will help him, and they should help Pidge too.

Goodness, Jen, so young to have such problems. I do pray that the meds continue to work for Shilo and that you have lots of good, quality years w/him. Pidgelet, at age 18 1/2, may only be w/me a little while longer, due to her complications w/bad kidneys. In Dr. Lee's opinion, Lasix can wreck the kidneys if they're in bad shape to start with but I can't administer subQ's to her because we're trying to keep the fluid out of her lungs. So she's in a catch 22. All I can do is love her and be ever vigilant to watch for signs that she's no longer living a quality life. Prayers going up for Shilo and you, too, Jen. :love:

jenluckenbach
10-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I forgot about Pidge's kidneys. :( But at 18+, it is just comfort I'd strive for. As long as she's comfy. :love:

Medusa
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I forgot about Pidge's kidneys. :( But at 18+, it is just comfort I'd strive for. As long as she's comfy. :love:

You're right on the money, Jen. That's exactly what I plan to do, keep her as comfortable as possible. I want her last days to be quality.

Vermontcat
10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I have just now been able to catch up and read this thread, I am so sorry to hear that Pidge is so sick.:(
I know it is hard for you having to deal with this after losing Puddy so recently and it sounds like your vet should be a little more sympathetic to your situation.
I know it is hard to see an older pet's heath decline, I hope you still have some time left with Pidge.
Sending hugs and prayers your way.

Anikaca77
10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
More prays coming your way for Pidge. I hope her numbers look better on Wednesday.

Purr-tender
10-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Mary, I am so sorry that you received such grim news on Pidge. Prayers that the meds will give her more time with you and make her more comfortable. Hearing her wailing must be heartwrenching for you.

Dr. Lee most definitely needs to have a staff meeting! There were serious mistakes and oversights made that could have cost your precious Pidge her life!!

Continued prayers,
Mary

Catty1
10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi, Mary:

When I was looking up some info on Pidge's condition, it seems that it happens mostly in younger cats! Tell dear Pidge this is the wrong way to have a second childhood! ;) :love:

I hope the meds help and she won't wail anymore and can be comfortable.

So that she doesn't exert herself up the stairs...can you use a baby gate, or carry her in one of those baby snugglies? The latter may be a silly idea, but maybe a thought after Wednesday.

I hope she has some comfy quality time with you yet.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I can't even imagine how upset you must be about the prescriptions being unsigned and inaccurate!

Mary, I found a bit of info you can look at when you're up to it. While meds won't prolong Pidge's life, they can make it more comfy.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyp-cardio.html

I wondered about the echocardiogram...but that must have been the ultrasound she had.

Big hugs! I know the prognosis sucks...but she has been so healthy all her life, I pray that gives her a slight edge. Once she feels more comfy, "your" Pidge will be back, with her Boo man taking care of her...I hope you find some happiness in that. :love:

She's on Lasix, Atenolol and Enalapril, all listed on the above site. Hopefully, it will keep her comfortable.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi, Mary:

When I was looking up some info on Pidge's condition, it seems that it happens mostly in younger cats! Tell dear Pidge this is the wrong way to have a second childhood! ;) :love:

I hope the meds help and she won't wail anymore and can be comfortable.

So that she doesn't exert herself up the stairs...can you use a baby gate, or carry her in one of those baby snugglies? The latter may be a silly idea, but maybe a thought after Wednesday.

I hope she has some comfy quality time with you yet.

{{{{hugs}}}}

I'm just not sure what's causing the wailing yet. It could be anxiety because she seems to want me nearby but that isn't always possible. Thank goodness my office is in my home again because if I had to leave every day, I don't know what I'd do. As it is, it's difficult to see clients w/all this commotion going on. She also does it upon exertion, so the Atenolol should help if she's experiencing chest pain. I thought about keeping her isolated so that she doesn't exert herself but that seems to stress her. I think she still wants to be w/the rest of the Fur Posse, Boo Bear in particular of course, and when she isn't, she wails. That may be why she went downstairs last night. When I put everyone to bed in the basement, she started to follow because that's the usual routine but there was no way I would let her out of my sight last night seeing that she didn't have all her meds.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 11:03 AM

Just thought I'd add here that I did get some Science Diet for the Fur Posse and they all love it, except for Creamsicle. She doesn't like any canned food. I bought just the regular in the pet store, not the prescription diet but I did get two cans of I/D for the intestinal track at Dr. Lee's and they loved that, too.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Pidge started wailing again, went downstairs, then upstairs. I think she was looking for Boo because the wailing stopped as soon as she found him. I was just about to finally get around to making my bed but I didn't have the heart to do it once I saw these two together. Boo groomed her and then he just kissed her and you can see that in the last photo.

pomtzu
10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to stay positive for her but after she gets all these meds in her, she's to go back to Dr. Lee on Wednesday evening to be retested to see how they're working. If there is no improvement and she continues the wailing, I may have to help her to the Bridge. She's had too long and healthy a life for her to suffer now just because I want her to be w/me for a little while longer. W/Puddy it was different; she lived 4 1/2 years less time than Pidge and she had one challenge after another, so I felt I owed her. W/Pidge, I feel as though I owe her, too, but in a different way. I owe her peace.

Hopefully there will be some improvement, but if there isn't and you do decide to let her go, just keep telling yourself what you have told all of us......that she was fortunate to live a very long and healthy life. You don't need to go thru the pain and torment that you did trying to save dear little Puddy, and you'll be able to remember Pidge best thru all those good years, not her last weeks of decline. Of course, we're still praying that you can have at least a little more time together before you have to say so long for a while - it's never really good-bye.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Hopefully there will be some improvement, but if there isn't and you do decide to let her go, just keep telling yourself what you have told all of us......that she was fortunate to live a very long and healthy life. You don't need to go thru the pain and torment that you did trying to save dear little Puddy, and you'll be able to remember Pidge best thru all those good years, not her last weeks of decline. Of course, we're still praying that you can have at least a little more time together before you have to say so long for a while - it's never really good-bye.

I do know that, Ellie, thank you. I just wish I could get my heart to agree.

jenluckenbach
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
AAAWWWWW. She just wanted her BooBear! :love:

Medusa
10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes, I've relaxed the rules a little. After the pee fest that took place a few years ago between Boo and Specs, my bedroom has been off limits. However, since putting them on Clomicalm, there have been no more incidents and when Puddy got sick, I had to keep her isolated upstairs and one thing led to another. I'm becoming a softie. :rolleyes:

Catty1
10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Awww....those sweet pictures of Pidge and her Boo. What a stunning colour she is - tortie, I suppose, but all blended in to a brown-rust!

I know you are her Meowmie, but being with Boo does her a world of good.

So...does BOO get to sleep on your bed now?;):love:

Medusa
10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
So...does BOO get to sleep on your bed now?;):love:

If it'll make Pidgelet happy, you betcha! I'm not getting any sleep anyhow. I always wanted a dark, handsome stranger in my bed but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Catty1
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I always wanted a dark, handsome stranger in my bed but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

ROFL! He's taken, anyway! :D

Anikaca77
10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Awww those pictures are just so sweet. More prays that she remains comfortable.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
See what happens when I relax the rules? Two more brat cats join the group. The Fur Posse are pushing their luck. Yodie and Specs are on the bed now. Specs is the one w/the devil eyes, very appropriate.

pomtzu
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I always wanted a dark, handsome stranger in my bed but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Ah-ha - the truth is out now Frenchie!!! Seriously tho - you're probably better off with Boo!!! :D

Medusa
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Ah-ha - the truth is out now Frenchie!!! Seriously tho - you're probably better off with Boo!!! :D

Without a doubt, Gigi.

orangemm
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Aww, look at those sweet faces! That's a bed I would love to sleep in!

Catty1
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
So, Mary - where are YOU going to sleep? :p:D

Purr-tender
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
My favorite kind of bed covers!! Warm and furry! I know it's a comfort to Pidge, too.

Medusa
10-21-2008, 01:41 PM
So, Mary - where are YOU going to sleep? :p:D

In the guest room, apparently. It's right across the hall. It's a mewtiny. Actually, I think they know that something is wrong, first Puddy gone and now Pidgelet sick. I think they're circling the wagons.

jennielynn1970
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Awe... what sweet pics! Pidge looks so happy to be with Boo on the bed! What a sweet couple they are. Yodie is a doll! She looks like my Finae (dilute tortie), and Specs, lol, what a look he's giving you!

I think I'd just snuggle right in there with them. Normally I only allow Finae to sleep with me, but if I let the door open and I know I won't get any sleep anyway, I usually end up with 5 cats with me on the bed. Not terribly comfy, but it is comforting!

phesina
10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh.. my... God....

Oh Mary, I am so sorry.

nancys
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Sending prayers

cassiesmom
10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Dear God, please take good care of Pidge and Medusa. Thank you.

Emeraldgreen
10-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope Pidge's meds will help and that the upcoming tests show improvement and that the vet will find a way to manage her condition so she can be with you and be comfortable.
You must be getting very little sleep through all this! I hope you can find time to take naps during the day.

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Mary, Lot's more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Pidge's way.

I love your new cat bed.;)

Medusa
10-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Well, I thought I'd bring Boo into bed w/Pidge and me last night but he just did not want to stay. He kept going downstairs. I guess he wanted to be in his familiar territory w/the rest of the Fur Posse. Plus Specs started screeching, probably because Boo wasn't there. There has always been rivalry between the two, Boo has been alpha male and Specs keeps trying to take his position but so far, that hasn't happened. I just couldn't have Specs screeching all night, so I finally let Boo go downstairs and then things calmed down. Pidge had a restless night and each time upon exertion, she'd wail. I'm going to talk to Dr. Lee about that at her appt. this evening. She was relatively calm all day but she was up several times during the night. Of course, the Lasix makes her pee more but she couldn't stay still in the bed for long either. She moved from one spot to another. Continued prayers are appreciated. :)

GILL
10-22-2008, 07:40 AM
The CREW is with you, in our thoughts and prayers.

Anikaca77
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
All of us here at my place are praying for you today and our thoughts will be with you tonight during your appointment.

Melissa

Medusa
10-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Yodie has decided now that Puddy's spot behind my computer is now hers. Looking pretty cozy, don't ya think?

pomtzu
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Yodie has decided now that Puddy's spot behind my computer is now hers. Looking pretty cozy, don't ya think?

Well it looks like your place is just going to hell in a handbasket!!! :eek::eek: LOL!!!

Yodie is adorable, but he sure has some big paws to fill if he's going to take over Puddy's spot! :) And the pics yesterday of Pidge and the gang just chillin' on your bed - too cute! I have to admit that she did look very relaxed and comfortable with no signs of being sick - just enjoying the warm, soft bed.

We're praying that you get some encouraging news tonight!

OOPS!! - sorry Yodie - you're a GIRL!!!

phesina
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Prayers from us for your darling Pidgelet and you too, Mary.

Medusa
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Just got home from Dr. Lee's. It went pretty well. Pidge's heart rate was at 189, down from 258 and at its highest at 360. Her x-ray showed that she did have a little fluid in her lungs so he increased the Lasix dosage from 1/4 tablet in the morning and 1/2 tablet at night. She was only getting 1/4 in the morning and the same at night. He doesn't want to increase it any more than that because it wrecks the kidneys. She was a little upset coming home and this time music on the radio wasn't helping, so I started singing along w/the music and she calmed right down. If I stopped singing, she'd start crying, so I sang to her the entire hour drive home. Dr. Lee did say that any stress could kill her and so I was willing to sing the entire drive, that's for sure. I talked to him about pain meds for her but he said that too many of them don't agree w/the meds that she's on, so unless I feel she's in real pain, he'd rather not prescribe any. He did say that later on, if I feel the necessity, he'd give me syringes of Buprinex, which would work well w/her meds. The wailing that she does is probably from exertion because it doesn't last long but she doesn't appear to be in real pain.

I also talked to him about his staff and the frustration, anger and fear that I felt when the receptionist wouldn't put me through to anyone. He said "From now on, just tell them that you're coming in. If it's a true emergency, we'll be prepared for you. I've stopped everything for an animal that was in crisis." I said "Ok then, I'm taking you at your word." I could tell that he had talked to his staff because they called me 3 times yesterday and when I called today, the first thing that was said is "How's Pigeon?". Dr. Lee took extra long w/me today and spoke to me very informally. I think we've come to an understanding, especially when I told him "I'm not a prima donna and I do not expect preferential treatment even though you've extended it to me on occasion but that was at your discretion" and he smiled. Then I said "When I say that I need to speak to someone NOW, that's exactly what I mean". He said "I understand and that's why I'm telling you that from now on, just tell them that you're on your way in if any of your animals is in crisis."

So, Ms. Pidgelet is doing ok for right now. I told Dr. Lee that I understand that there's no cure for her condition, that her care will be palliative but he said "If she keeps doing as well as she's doing right now, if she lives a year, I'll do back flips but you still need to know that she could go at any time'. I realize that, of course, and as long as she's comfortable, I'll enjoy to the fullest every day w/her that I have.

jenluckenbach
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm glad she's stable. Hope everything stays calm.

moosmom
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Mary,

You and your fur posse are in my thoughts and prayers.

momtomany
10-22-2008, 07:32 PM
The Dunn gang is continuing the prayers daily for you and the fur posse. I hope you will feel peace inside from all the prayers coming your way.

cassiesmom
10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Ms. Pidgelet is doing ok for right now.
I'll take ok for right now. And I'll keep praying.

Prairie Purrs
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Pidge, sweetie, we'll all sing for you, if it makes you happy. Stay comfy and relaxed, pretty girl.

Anikaca77
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm glad she's home with you and safe. I hope she remains calm and stress free.

melissa

Medusa
10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I'll take ok for right now. And I'll keep praying.

That makes two of us. :) Someone actually had the nerve to say to me today that it doesn't matter what I do for Pidge or how well I take care of her because when it's her time, she'll go. I said "So then why bother doing anything? Are we not charged to be caregivers of the animals?" She didn't have an answer. Good grief! And this woman was involved in rescue at one time. Well, why rescue then, too, if that's her belief?

jennielynn1970
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm glad Pidge is home and is calm. How sweet that she relaxes when you sing to her!! I think mine would be distressed if I sang, lol.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and Pidge, and the rest of your Fur Posse.

Catty1
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
gentle {{{{hugs}}}}

I am glad she is ok for now, and that her heart rate is way down.

I found this: "The normal value in a cat ranges from 120 to 200 depending on how excited he is."

Can you imagine trying to get a 'resting pulse rate' on a cat?;) But still, it sounds like Pidgie is back in the normal range...and it might be even lower now that she is at home.

You could try feeling her little heartbeat while you are patting her, counting the beats for 15 seconds, and multiplying by 4.

Wishing Pidge more happy and comfy days with you and her Boo. :):love:

phesina
10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear that she's back home, and you have more idea of what's happening, and she relaxes when you sing to her, and you and Dr. Lee talked over your frustration and anger at the runaround you got from his staff..

Prayers are continuing as well as lots of loving thoughts and strengthening energies and happy greetings,

Pat and gang

krazyaboutkatz
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm glad to hear that Pidge is doing well and I hope that she'll continue to do so.:) She'll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Emeraldgreen
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
What a relief that Pidge's heart rate is much lower!! I know my cats get very stressed in the car so I'm sure it was a major concern on your drive home, especially when she started vocalizing. I'm dying to know what song you sang though! ;)
I'm glad that you were able to share with Dr. Lee what has been upsetting recently and that he was receptive. It feels like things are getting better and better.

I hope you girls can get some sleep tonight. You both must be exhausted.

pomtzu
10-23-2008, 06:40 AM
So glad to read the encouraging news, and that "Pigeon" (LOL) is doing somewhat better. She's a tough little "bird"!
Keep singing Mary! :D

Medusa
10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
So glad to read the encouraging news, and that "Pigeon" (LOL) is doing somewhat better. She's a tough little "bird"!
Keep singing Mary! :D

LOL, that's how she got her name. She cooed like a pigeon when I first rescued her.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Gentle Head kiss for Pidge and lots of prayers for you both!!! :love:

Every second we have with our fur babies is precious!!!

Medusa
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Look who's snuggling in next to Pigeon. Since she became sick, Coco Puff has been close by her. It's funny, too, because he is definitely her nemesis. Every time he walked by, Pidge would swat at him as if to say "That's for what you're thinkin', youngun!" She hasn't done it since she got sick and he seems to want to comfort her. Aren't cats amazing? :love: He'd better watch out; Boo is liable to get jealous! ;)

jenluckenbach
10-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Aaaawwwwwwwwwwww

Medusa
10-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, I guess she's had enough of him. She moved already. LOL

Anikaca77
10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Awww those pictures are so touching.

Cinder & Smoke
10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
HI, God ~

Purrayer Pups here ... wearin our Kat Hats.

We need sum Help down here onna ole Durt Ball for Mary's lil Kitty, "Pidge".

Pidge isn't feelin so gud ... she has trubbel breathin anna fluids keep gettin
inna wrong places. Please help her to feel better an enjoy living again.

And maybe a {{{God'sHug}}} for her Mom?

We'll keep *krossin* Pawz & Klawz.
THANKS, God!

/s/ the Purrayer Pups (KAT Office)

Cinder & Smoke
10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Well, I guess she's had enough of him. She moved already. LOL

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=40624&d=1224807461

Ya 'always feel better' when you Hold the HIGH Ground!

:D

Emeraldgreen
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Great pics! I have never seen Sir Coco Puff before. He is stunning! Hope Pidgelet is getting lots of rest and feeling better. :)

Medusa
10-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Pidgelet seems to be holding her own. Her breathing is no longer congested so the antihistamine is apparently working. (Can you imagine having a sinus infection on top of everything else?) Her heart rate has calmed down, too; she's still in the normal range, her appetite is good and she uses the litterbox a lot but that's due to the Lasix. The wailing has practically ceased. The only time she really did it before was upon exertion so the heart meds must be working well for her because she wailed a bit during the night but she wasn't trying to do anything. I think maybe she may have missed her man Boo Bear but he just doesn't want to sleep w/us. (Typical male, only wants to go to bed when he wants to. LOL) So I'd say that this is a pretty good report. I'm not kidding myself; I know that each day of Pidgelet's life could be her last but then, that's true for all of us, so I'm not so sad any more. As long as she's comfortable and appears to be happy, then I'm happy, too. If you'll keep her in your prayers, though, I'd appreciate it. And Phred, thanx for the phone call to God. I know that it helped my Pidgie Pie. :):love:

Purr-tender
10-25-2008, 09:09 AM
So glad Pidge is doing better. That's what we all wanted to hear!!

Prayers continue,
Mary

Catty1
10-25-2008, 09:47 AM
She is comfy and doing ok, a day at a time...and that's what anyone can wish for.

Please give her a pat and a kiss on her forehead for me. :love:

phesina
10-25-2008, 11:38 AM
That's great news that she is doing so much better now. How good to know she is comfortable again. And so loved and appreciated, aren't you, Pidgie Dear.

Prayers are continuing.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Prayers still on the way here. :love:

I think Phred's prayer pups really have a direct line to God. Try to enjoy every second with Pidgelet. :love:

shais_mom
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
much love and healing thoughts on the way for both of you Mary.

Medusa
10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Pidge had a bit of an upset stomach yesterday, probably due to taking so many meds, and it occurred to me that I have leftover fudgesicles from when Puddy was getting some as a treat. It's been a little too nippy for me to eat them, so I thought I'd see if Pidge would lick a little of one. She turned her head and gave me the funniest look as if to say "You do know I'm a cat, right?" So I ate it myself even though it was cold and rainy last night. I couldn't help but think that Puddy was laughing at all this. ;)

Felicia's Mom
10-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Glad Pidgelet is feeling better.

jenluckenbach
10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
:love:I am very glad to hear that she is comfortable.

momtomany
10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Mary you perked up my day by the wonderful post of Pidgelet. I hope you have wonderful days together and she continues to hold her own. The prayers will continue for both of you.

Taz_Zoee
10-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Mary, I am so glad to hear that Pidge is at least comfortable. That should bring a little relief to you for now. I am still holding Pidgelet in my thoughts.

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Mary, I'm so glad to hear that Pidge is more comfortable and doing much better. I hope that she'll continue to do well. She'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
10-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Poor Pidgelet had a rough night. She was up every 20 minutes or so to either use the litterbox or eat, each session followed up w/loud wailing. I felt so bad for my little girl. She's no longer congested so I'm discontinuing the antihistamine. I think it's making her jittery; she's also developed a little tic and I remember that Puddy had a tic from one of her meds, too. Plus this med is also an appetite stimulant so I think that's why she was getting up to eat so often during the night. It's the wailing that breaks my heart. There's nothing I can do to comfort her. I speak softly to her and stroke her but it doesn't help. She really needs to rest today but I know that if she lies around too much, her lungs will fill w/fluid and we all know what the outcome will be. Dr. Lee also increased her Lasix at night but I'm going to ask him if it's ok to increase it during the day instead because she just isn't getting much rest at night. Please keep my green-eyed lady in your prayers. She really needs them right now.

jenluckenbach
10-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Pidge, your breaking my heart. :( I don't like to hear that you are wailing. Sending your prayers of comfort.

Anikaca77
10-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh Mary, I was reading your post before this last one and I thought wow it's amazing how well she's doing. I'm so sorry that Pidge had a hard night last night.

I'm praying so hard that she will be comfortable and be able to get some rest tonight.

All my hugs and prays.

Melissa

Catty1
10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Prayers for Pidgie...I hope the med changes will help. {{{{hugs}}}} to that sweet girl.:love:

phesina
10-26-2008, 04:00 PM
We are saying prayers for Pidgelet.. sending our love and calming energies..

Emeraldgreen
10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Praying that stopping the antihistimines will help calm her so she can get some rest. Increased lasix during the day rather than at night makes sense. I hope it helps balance things a bit more. Feel better Pidgie Pie. :love:

jennielynn1970
10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Awe... sweet Pidge, I hope you start to feel better soon! We're all worried about you!

Hugs and kisses from Jenn and kitties

Medusa
10-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Since stopping the antihistamine, the wailing has practically ceased. I can't take them either; I get so jittery that I cry and at times feel like I want to scream so she probably just does scream. She slept almost all day yesterday, so she got plenty of rest. I was worried that she might be up all night (memories of Puddy and her nocturnalism) but she did ok. She got up to use the litterbox and ate but not excessively. At one point, I waited for her to come back to bed and she didn't, so I went looking for her and found her standing behind the recliner in the living room. I have a cat scratcher there but I didn't hear her using it. Then she walked over to the basement door and started meowing but I didn't want to let her in there because I wanted to keep an eye on her and I also didn't want her to wake the Fur Posse, so I carried her back upstairs and she used the litterbox again. One thing that she's doing now, though, is pooping just outside the box. If I can, I'm going to try to catch her when she goes and see if she's just hanging her behind out of the box or if something else is going on. She's always had a problem w/dingleberries because she's a long hair but this is more than that. (The things I talk about. Honestly.) So, all in all, I'd say this is a good report. PT prayers at work! :D

jenluckenbach
10-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I am very glad the report is better this morning. :)

Taz_Zoee
10-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I am glad to hear she is once again doing a little better.

And I also call them dingleberries!! LOL Zoee gets them if I don't keep her rear clipped short. :)

Medusa
10-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Pidge hasn't slept in this position for at least a week. This is another way that I can tell that she's feeling better. I'm so relieved. :)

jazzcat
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Such a sweet picture. I'm glad she seems to be feeling better.

Emeraldgreen
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Wonderful news!! What a relief that stopping the antihistimines has caused such a dramatic change in her. I also feel very anxious whenever I have had to take this drug for allergies. She really looks very content in that picture and I'm sure that long rest has done her good.

'dingleberries'!! I also call them this as well as 'dangle-berries'. LOL

Purr-tender
10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
She looks so relaxed and comfortable! That says volumes!

Mary

phesina
10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
That's just what I was going to say.. She looks so relaxed and so comfortable lying there and resting up.

Another good day, thank you, God. We're all praying more.

cassiesmom
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Yay, Pidge! A picture speaks one thousand words. You look comfortable and content.

As for dingle berries - I just said that to Cassie CAt yesterday - "What's this dingle on my carpet?" As she gets older, she sometimes leaves the box before she probably should.

Medusa
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
She's doing so well that she came downstairs this evening, walked around a little and then hopped up on the sofa beside me. She laid there as content as can be and then later hopped to the back of the sofa cushion. I just now put the Fur Posse to bed and she went downstairs w/them but I carried her upstairs and then she went up the second flight by herself. I still want to be able to check on her w/out going down two flights of stairs and waking everybody up. Besides, I like having her in bed w/me. She wailed when she went back upstairs and I hope it wasn't because she exerted herself too much but I rather think she may have wanted to be w/Boo Bear; he just doesn't want to come upstairs, though, so I guess it'll be just us girls. It would be perfect if Puddy was here and we all could snuggle together. I'm grateful, though, for Pidgelet's improvement. She's doing so much better. Life is good again. :)

orangemm
10-28-2008, 04:23 AM
So happy to hear good news for a change! See, all those PT prayers help.

Keep on, little Pidgelet!! (((hugs))) to you, too, Mary!

jennielynn1970
10-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Yay!!! So glad to read that she is feeling better!!!

Gentle pets and hugs on the way to Pidge! Keep doing well sweetie!!

Medusa
10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
She had such a quiet night that I kept waking up to check on her! LOL At one point, she looked at me and my human brain was working over time because I swear she was thinking "You can't be pleased, can ya, Mom? If I'm quiet, you worry and if I wail, you worry." I noticed this morning, though, that she's sniffling a little again and I don't want her to not to be able to breathe again so I'm going to see if the pharmacy still has the other antihistamine that Dr. F called in. No more cyproheptadine; I'm convinced that's the cause of her wailing and jitters. Hopefully, this other one will be better for her. I just don't want her to backslide now.

Medusa
10-28-2008, 07:53 AM
So happy to hear good news for a change! See, all those PT prayers help.

Oh yes, I'm a believer!

Anikaca77
10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm so glad she's been having peaceful nights. We will continue to pray that she stays that way.

pomtzu
10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Glad to read that Pidge is doing better - from the crew in NC!! I have a new love interest - a kitty that looks like Pidge. I'm wanting to catnap her - she is sooo sweet! :love: She's an old girl too! :)

Medusa
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Glad to read that Pidge is doing better - from the crew in NC!! I have a new love interest - a kitty that looks like Pidge. I'm wanting to catnap her - she is sooo sweet! :love: She's an old girl too! :)

Aw, a Pidgie twin. If she has Pidge's sweetness, she'd make a great companion. Hope you're having a great vacation.

phesina
10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Wonderful news! Continuing prayers..

Love and purrs and hugs and gentle pets,
Pat and the gang

Medusa
10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, my sweet green-eyed lady came downstairs on her own at around 1:00 this afternoon and has stayed downstairs. She went into the sun room for a little while, then sat w/me on the sofa and later snuggled in by herself. I know she's feeling better because she slapped my two juvenile delinquents Coco Puff and Creamsicle. LOL She slept through the night, no crying or wailing; she's been using the litterbox just fine and her appetite is good. I snapped a pic of her as she curled up w/her favorite pillow. She always has one eye open, though, as though she has to keep an eye on everything. I just love 'er. :love:

Don't mind the skeleton cabinet. It's Halloween, after all; not my normal furniture. LOL

phesina
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Lovely! Wonderful!

Love to Ms. Pidgie and you and all your family,

Pat and cats

Anikaca77
10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Mary, your Pidge made my day. That's just so great. I'm going to keep sending my prays and good wishes!

:)

Vermontcat
10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm happy to hear that Pidge is doing a lot better now.:)
If Coco Puff bothers her too much, you can alway send him here, he will fit right in with my Meezer girls.;)

jenluckenbach
10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I too am glad Pidge is feeling better. :)

Medusa
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
She's really snuggled in tight now! :)

Catty1
10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Awwwww....now THAT is a comfy, lovely kitty!

Does she know how many people here are fans and love her?

She sure is having QUALITY time, and it will last a long time. Give that pretty fur a fluff for me, and a kiss on her forehead.:):love:

Purr-tender
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
So comforting to see her like that. She's such a beauty!

Mary

jazzcat
10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Good update! The kind I like to read. :)

Moesha
10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm glad to read this encouraging update as well! Lovely pictures also.

Prairie Purrs
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I hope Miss Pidge is having another quiet and cozy day. Sending kisses for that sweet girl!

jennielynn1970
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Hope you're feeling so much better, Pidgie girl!!

Hugs to you sweetie!!!

GILL
10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
The CREW is glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Medusa
11-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Just thought I'd give you another update on my green-eyed lady Pidgelet. She's doing fabulous, dahling! I had workers here all day yesterday (they're coming back again today, ugh) and that meant I had to keep the Fur Posse confined to the basement so that they wouldn't dart out the door. The workers needed to keep the door to the garage open so that they could easily go back and forth. Pidge stays upstairs most of the time anyhow but, of course, yesterday she wanted to see what the commotion was all about, so she came downstairs. She kept getting in the way, so she went to the basement door and I thought "Why not let her down there w/everybody?" I checked on her a little later and she was able to jump up on my work table which is approximately 4 ft. off the floor. She made it w/no problem. A couple of weeks ago she was so weak that she couldn't get up on the sofa w/out help. She's just really feeling good, I can tell, and she snuggles in w/me in bed at night, too, something she never wanted to do before. She's never craved any kind of attention and always shyed away from it, actually. I'm just so happy w/how the meds are working for her and I knew that all my PT family would be, too. :)

Anikaca77
11-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Oh Mary, I'm so happy.

I was so worried as I'm sure you were. My prays are still being sent your way for added comfort.

I'm so glad that she is doing better. That's just so wonderful to hear.

Melissa

Prairie Purrs
11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Excellent news indeed!

Catty1
11-04-2008, 08:34 AM
WONDERFUL news. :)

I hope Boo Man doesn't feel slighted that Pidge wants to cuddle with you! ;)

Give her a cuddle and smooch for me please!

pomtzu
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Great news. You go Miss Pidge girl!! :love:

Purr-tender
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
That was a day brightening update for sure! :D

Taz_Zoee
11-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I am so happy to read this wonderful news!! :D :D

Medusa
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
WONDERFUL news. :)

I hope Boo Man doesn't feel slighted that Pidge wants to cuddle with you! ;)

Give her a cuddle and smooch for me please!

Actually, Boober is acting very aloof. (I call him Boober when he's being "male". LOL) He won't sleep w/us and I don't want her to sleep downstairs because I feel the need to check on her during the night and don't want to wake everyone else up. He could stop being a brat and sleep w/us but he won't. He's such a handsome boy, though, that we forgive him. ;)

Medusa
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
She just scared the pie outa me! I went to vote and the workers were here doing their thing. I had all the Fur Posse in the basement except Pidge, or so I thought. I came home, went upstairs immediately to check on her and couldn't find her! I panicked because I put the baby gate up to keep her upstairs so that she wouldn't roam downstairs while I was gone. I looked everywhere, under beds, even in the third bedroom which is always closed. No Pidge. Then I turned and looked down the stairs and there she was looking up at me. That little 18 1/2 year old tortie managed to jump the baby gate! This just took a couple of years off my life. I had visions of her getting outdoors and the workers being so busy that they didn't notice. Good grief! Well, at least that tells me how well she's doing. Be still my beating heart.

Purr-tender
11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh you must have been frantic!! I can just picture her looking up at you thinking "watcha lookin' for meowme?" The little stinker!;)

Medusa
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Pidgie decided to come downstairs and check out the action (yeah, real action; watching a movie) and her man Boo sat down next to her. Creamsicle is overseer. Specs is out of frame; Coco Puff and Yodie were in my office. For the most part, though, my Fur Posse came through for me again. They knew I needed comfort and they all gathered 'round. Specs has the most adorable way of sitting down next to me, then putting his "arm" around me, as if to say "It's gonna be ok, Mom". I wish I could get a pic of him doing that but I can't take it myself and he's a big chicken around other people. Anyhow, I thought you'd like to see that at least Pidgie Pie is doing aces! :)

Frostfrog
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I just now learned about the ordeal you and Pidgelet have been through. I'm glad that health has returned and that the world now looks brighter.

Emeraldgreen
11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Somehow I missed these great updates on Miss Pidgelet!! I know you have been through the worst time with what happened with Buddy but I hope you will be able to take comfort in the amazing progress your girl Pidgie is making. It was so good to read that she is not only being a snugglebug but leaping tall buildings!! (okay, a baby gate and a work table, but that is so awesome!!!) She really has come so far in a very short time. Thank you for the update and please post more pics when you can! :) Your fur posse is such a content bunch, lounging on their microfleece blankets. Luxurious.

krazyaboutkatz
11-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Mary, I'm so glad to hear that Pidge is doing so well and I hope that she continues to do so.:) It's great to have furkids to help make us feel better isn't it.:)

Anikaca77
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm so glad Pidgelet is continuing to do well that's just great. It's amazing how cats know when we are upset and they try to comfort us in anyway they can.

They really are special.