PDA

View Full Version : Another Question About Having Two Cats

kark711
10-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Our kitty is 5 months old (we've had her about 4 weeks) and she has always been very demanding of our time and attention. We love her to pieces but most of the time when she isn't sleeping she is DEMANDING immediate playtime or food. We know that a kitten is a kitten and she'll expect a lot of attention but we're at the point of wondering if another kitty will be the answer as we just can't be at her beck and call every minute. It starts at dawn and doesn't end until she goes to sleep between us. :love: That's when she's really a little angel. :love: But during the day when she's not snoozing she is underfoot meowing. She doesn't seem to want to amuse herself for more than a few minutes before she's back to the demanding meowing. She came from a breeder and grew up around kitties and adult cats.

The question is if we get another kitty--same breed and almost same age--would they amuse each other to the extent that we'd have some quiet time or do you think the original kitty will ignore the new one and go back to her habit of forcing her will on the humans?:confused:

MBones
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Kark711,

Getting your kitty a playmate while she is young is a great idea! When we got our first kitty, we only got the one kitten. She was about 3 months old when we adopted her. When my DH and I would get home from work, she'd ramp up and be constantly craving attention. I couldn't blame her, though.

So we went back to the Humane Society and adopted another kitty several weeks later that was the same age as her. It is amazing how much noise that 2 can make tearing about the house. Just make sure to keep the new one separate at first until it's fully vetted and cleared. Then you can start introducing them slowly at first, but most likely, they'll both enjoy keeping each other busy and wearing themselves out. Plus the amusement for you...they will certainly keep you entertained!

Two years later, they are still good buddies, and best of all, they are in very good shape; no excess weight on them because of all the exercise they get.

Think of it this way.....besides giving your kitty a companion, you are also saving another kitty!

NoahsMommy
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
From a person who's had up to 10 kitties (now, gratefully down to 4 - MUCH better for my situation, although it was really great to be able to give needy kitties a home! :) ) I strongly advocate having another kitty for a playmate for your initial, demanding kitty.

My first cat was Noah, the fluffy, orange kitty in my avitar. When he was a baby, he was just like your kitty and worse, he thought I was his playmate. I remember sitting down to dinner and having him CRAWL up my legs (wearing shorts) and bursting into tears because A: it hurt and B: he thought of me as his play toy, not his mommy. As SOON as we got our 2nd cat, things changed completely! I became mommy and Noel (2nd cat, who was approx 4 months old then) became his buddy!

Lots of luck!! Do you have any pictures of your kitty you can show us? We ADORE pictures, especially KITTEN pictures! :)

catmandu
10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
THATS A GREAT IDEA , AS YOUR KITTEN WOULD SOON BOND WITH ANOTHER CAT, EVERY CREATURE LOVES HAVING ONE OF HIS WON KIND AROUND TO PLAY WITH!!!
AND IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A KITTEN, THERE ARE MANY CATS :love::love:18 MONTHS TO TWO YEARS OLD WHO ARE AS FULL OF FUN AS A KITTEN, AND WHO WOUD APPRECIATE A FURREVER HOME AND A LITTLE FRIEND SO VERY MUCH!!!:cool::D:love:

Medusa
10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Just make sure to keep the new one separate at first until it's fully vetted and cleared. Then you can start introducing them slowly at first, but most likely, they'll both enjoy keeping each other busy and wearing themselves out. Plus the amusement for you...they will certainly keep you entertained!

Think of it this way.....besides giving your kitty a companion, you are also saving another kitty!

This says it all. I heartily concur. :)