PDA

View Full Version : Honest Obama Question (From a non-supporter)

NoahsMommy
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
OK, I'm being truly genuine here and I just wanted to get an answer from people who know Obama more than I do. I will admit I don't listen to him as much as I probably should because he annoys me. NOT because of the Democratic vs Republican thing, I choose them based on my beliefs/opinions/ethics and then get mad when I am unable to vote at the election if my candidate isn't Repub. (I don't think that's right!! We should be allowed to pick WHO we want, not just the man/woman who ended up being the primary candidate! Or wait, did I mix those up? I've had WAY too much going on this week. I know we can either vote openly in the primary or the regular, I forget which, but it SHOULD be that we can vote any way we want and not be "stuck" with whomever is in your party! But, that's another thread!)

Anyway, my question is this: I've heard (repeatedly) Obama referred to as "The Messiah" and more along those lines. He MUST have heard this stuff, right? I mean, I'm sure he's crazy busy with is campaign, but someone has to have told him something like that, especially with him being Christian, right?

So, he's Christain and Christain's believe it a TERRIBLE sin to call anyone besides Jesus Messiah. So WHY would he not make a tiny 2 minute tangent and tell people NOT to call him that, that he DOES NOT think of himself that way and it offends his faith.

Again, I admit I don't listen to him as much as I probably should, but has he addressed this issue? I do realize that maybe he hasn't heard it, but I guess I think he'd hear all of the stuff the media calls him. A Christian person that wouldn't deny something like that, well, that's just scary on many levels, regardless of who they are.

PLEASE don't take this to MEAN anything. Its a simple question I do not know the answer to. That is ALL.

Thank you!!! :)

caseysmom
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I have honestly never heard anyone call him the messiah.

Edwina's Secretary
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I also have never heard Obama called The Messiah. Furthermore, messiah has a number of definition -- and whether used with upper case or lower case can change the meaning.

In any case, candidates are called many names. Hoepfully they have more important things to talk about than refuting every name they are called.

Puckstop31
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I will give you a selection. Because I know you will not like most of the sources. LOL

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/10/09/will-msm-report-louis-farrakhan-declaration-obama-messiah

http://poligazette.com/2008/10/11/louis-farrakhan-calls-barack-obama-the-messiah/

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=77539

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OowxMcVTjTE

Now granted, Louis Farrakhan is not the best way to use this connection. But if we connect the dots... BO knows Rev. Wright. Rev. Wright has ties to Farrakhan. Farrakhan has ties to Muammar Qaddaffi. He even gave Qaddaffi a "human rights" award. LOL

Just a FYI.

JenBKR
10-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I think I have heard something like that, but he was being compared to Jesus. I don't really know any details though, or if he responded. There's so many lies, on both sides, it can be hard to keep it straight sometimes! I have been checking www.snopes.com on the political page lately to try to sort them out.

Pam
10-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Louis Farrakhan has called him the Messiah. Mr. Obama has an amazing group of friends and supporters. :rolleyes:

Catty1
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
My only thought - if politicians or their staff had to keep track of every name they were called (good or bad) in coffee shops and bars and homes etc across the nation, they would have no time to do anything else.

You raise a good question - but that is one you should ask the people who call him that. They likely aren't particularly religious, and just use it as a figure of speech.

It reminds me of a scene in the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian". It takes place at the same time Jesus was walking the earth and doing his stuff. Brian, while escaping from the Roman guards, falls onto a platform in the local market and launches into a ridiculous speech, pretending to be a prophet. When the guards run past him and he is safe, he stops his speech - at a point where many of the listeners are hanging on his every word.

He jumps down, and they ask him to finish what he was saying. He keeps insisting it was nothing, which is true - but they insist there must be some great secret. A chase ensues; Brian rushes away, losing his drinking gourd and a sandal in the process. His "followers" hold them up as treasured relics.

The mob gives chase. Brian runs up a hill, finds a deep hole, and jumps in - landing on a man who had been keeping a vow of silence for 18 years, and lets out a loud "OW!" Brian keeps trying to shush him up, but the man sarcastically says, "Oh, what's the point NOW?" - until they both see the mob and drop into the hole.

The mob has seen Brian. They cheer and roar until Brian finally comes out and faces them. They hail him as the Messiah.

"Look," Brian pleads. "I'm NOT the Messiah. HONESTLY."

There is silence. Then a woman declares, "Only the Messiah would deny his true divinity." This sets off another round of cheering and roaring.

"What kind of choice does THAT give me?" Brian exclaims. "All right, I AM the Messiah!" The roar of praise rises again, and Brian adds, "NOW F*** OFF!!!"

Again, silence. Then one prostate man raises his head and asks humbly, "How shall we f*** off, Master?"

When it comes to mob mentality, no public figure could handle this one. ;)

FYI: From the Oxford Dictionary of Current English, 2001:

messiah 1. (the Messiah) the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew bible. 2 (the Messiah) Jesus regarded by Christians as the Messiah of these prophecies. 3 a leader or saviour. ORIGIN Hebrew, 'anointed'

caseysmom
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
This is just plain silly.

Karen
10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I only know Louis Farrakhan said that, and elsewhere I had only heard it used in a mocking way, not seriously, by an anti-Obama commentator.

And I don't recall Barack Obama ever addressing it - but then again, politicians running for office would have to no time to eat, breathe, or sleep if they addressed every single thing someone said about them, good, bad or otherwise.

I do not hold it against Barack Obama for not commenting on it, nor do I hold it against John McCain for not commenting on it, either.

caseysmom
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
A local home had a big Obama display and somebody came and wrote racial slurs all over it...I am sure this is not the first place this is liberal California, I did not hear Obama speak on this so does that make him a racist...the logic is just not there.

Ginger's Mom
10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
OK, I'm being truly genuine here and I just wanted to get an answer from people who know Obama more than I do. I will admit I don't listen to him as much as I probably should because he annoys me. NOT because of the Democratic vs Republican thing, I choose them based on my beliefs/opinions/ethics and then get mad when I am unable to vote at the election if my candidate isn't Repub. (I don't think that's right!! We should be allowed to pick WHO we want, not just the man/woman who ended up being the primary candidate! Or wait, did I mix those up? I've had WAY too much going on this week. I know we can either vote openly in the primary or the regular, I forget which, but it SHOULD be that we can vote any way we want and not be "stuck" with whomever is in your party! But, that's another thread!)
Okay, I think you are confused. First comes the primary. If you are registered as being affilitated with a certain party, you get to chose who you want to represent your party. You cannot chose who will represent any other party. After you have cast your vote for whomever you think will best exemplify your position on the issues, that candidate (hopefully) goes on to the General election. At the General election you can vote for whomever you feel will be the best leader for the country. It does not matter if that candidate is Republican, Democrat, Liberatarian, and so on. You even have the option of writing in a candidate whose name is not on the ballot. It does not matter if you are registered as a particular party member or undeclared, almost everyone has the same right to vote.

Anyway, my question is this: I've heard (repeatedly) Obama referred to as "The Messiah" and more along those lines. He MUST have heard this stuff, right? I mean, I'm sure he's crazy busy with is campaign, but someone has to have told him something like that, especially with him being Christian, right?

So, he's Christain and Christain's believe it a TERRIBLE sin to call anyone besides Jesus Messiah. So WHY would he not make a tiny 2 minute tangent and tell people NOT to call him that, that he DOES NOT think of himself that way and it offends his faith.

Again, I admit I don't listen to him as much as I probably should, but has he addressed this issue? I do realize that maybe he hasn't heard it, but I guess I think he'd hear all of the stuff the media calls him. A Christian person that wouldn't deny something like that, well, that's just scary on many levels, regardless of who they are.

I have NEVER heard Barack Obama referred to as the Messiah. I see from some of the above responses that apparently Louis Farrakhan did. I haven't heard anything about it at all, I have no idea what precipitated that comment. However, it doesn't matter. No, he should not take two minutes to comment on a controversial statement made by Mr. Farrakhan. It has nothing to do with his ability to govern this country, it has nothing to do with the manner in which he would govern this country if he wins, and it has absolutely no political significance whatsoever. It is something that people point at to obsecure the issues. If you find it scary that Barack Obama won't address all of the controversial items that people bring up to discredit him or to make him seem somehow less American, than don't vote for him. That is your right and your privilege. But don't think that you are voting based on the issues or based on who is most able to help this country find it's economic and world footing again. You are voting because you find him scary. If you feel that is the best reason to place your vote, without doing any further research, then that is what works for you. You are an American you are entitled to do that.

I am also going to say as an aside. I did feel sort of sorry for and at the same time admired John McCain the other day when he finally took a stand and said to his supports straight out, that they have no reason to fear Barak Obama's patriotism. It is sad that he is put in the position of having to defend his opponent to his supporters, but nice that he did. Of course, the thought also occurred to me that she was a plant so they could get a sound bite, but that is for another day.

Cinder & Smoke
10-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I've heard (repeatedly) Obama referred to as "The Messiah" ...

Rush Limbach has been calling Obama "The Messiah" for months on his radio program.

Here's a quote from the Limbach web site >>>
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_072508/content/01125107.guest.html

Limbach = :rolleyes:

Cataholic
10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Gingers Mom, incredibly well said.

RICHARD
10-15-2008, 04:30 PM
The media has 'covered' him on several mags that have him looking like some kind of kooky prophet/god.

Rolling Stoned had him on the cover doing the crucifixion head bob.
Another rag recently had him back lit with a halo like corona around his head.

lizbud
10-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Gingers Mom, incredibly well said.

Agreed. I loved this paragraph. It really says it all.............much better than I could.:)

" have NEVER heard Barack Obama referred to as the Messiah. I see from some of the above responses that apparently Louis Farrakhan did. I haven't heard anything about it at all, I have no idea what precipitated that comment. However, it doesn't matter. No, he should not take two minutes to comment on a controversial statement made by Mr. Farrakhan. It has nothing to do with his ability to govern this country, it has nothing to do with the manner in which he would govern this country if he wins, and it has absolutely no political significance whatsoever. It is something that people point at to obsecure the issues. If you find it scary that Barack Obama won't address all of the controversial items that people bring up to discredit him or to make him seem somehow less American, than don't vote for him. That is your right and your privilege. But don't think that you are voting based on the issues or based on who is most able to help this country find it's economic and world footing again. You are voting because you find him scary. If you feel that is the best reason to place your vote, without doing any further research, then that is what works for you. You are an American you are entitled to do that

NoahsMommy
10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ginger'sMom for clearing that up for me. :) When I woke up this morning, I realized what I was trying to say. In the primary, I cannot vote for someone of a different party.

My point here was that just because I may register Republican, doesn't mean I want any of the R candidates in office. While I'm sure that there's a reason for it, it would be nice to have the option.

RE: Obama and the name-calling

I guess I do agree that he probably doesn't have time to address this stuff. Thanks for the input. It was something I'd been hearing from nearly everywhere (online and on the radio, even TV sometimes. Most of this would have been from people calling in (and/or written) mocking the fact that his constituants were looking at him in that manner.

It would be interesting to hear what a Christian has to say...I get the whole "doesn't have time to address everything said", I"m just wondering if I'm just being too sensitive to this.

I know Rush calls him that, but its mocking him. ;)

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
My point here was that just because I may register Republican, doesn't mean I want any of the R candidates in office. While I'm sure that there's a reason for it, it would be nice to have the option.
Although I do believe there are problems with the primary system as it now exists I think the reasoning behind it is good. Let me take some simple positions (I will probably be blasted for over-simplifying). Republicans are against abortion, for allowing big business to make economic decisions for the country, and more concerned about world issues. Democrats are in favor of legalized abortion, having the government make economic decisions for the country, and more concerned about domestic issues. As a member of one of those parties I do not want a member of the other party deciding who whe best person is to carry out my goals. I wouldn't think that they understand may goals enough to make that decision. The decision as to who would best define and implement a parties goals should be made by that party alone, and not by whomever decided to go the the polls that day. JMO.

I guess I do agree that he probably doesn't have time to address this stuff. Thanks for the input. It was something I'd been hearing from nearly everywhere (online and on the radio, even TV sometimes. Most of this would have been from people calling in (and/or written) mocking the fact that his constituants were looking at him in that manner.

It would be interesting to hear what a Christian has to say...I get the whole "doesn't have time to address everything said", I"m just wondering if I'm just being too sensitive to this.

As you say it is mocking and name calling. It is not how his supporters see him, but a detractors way of making them seem like sheep instead of thinking people who have made an intelligent reasoned decision. He should not be lured by the distraction to get involved in the name calling when there are issues to be discussed (whether you agree with his position or not).

I am going to go one step further and answer the last question, although I may be out of line. I am a Christian, I may not be a fundamentalist or evangelistic Christian, but I am a Christian and hold my spiritual beliefs to be very dear. Having said that, do I think you are being overly sensitive? Yes. Do I understand how you can feel this way? Yes. It is a very emotional subject to you, and something that you are already sensitive too without being fed or baited by the media. And that is alright. I guess I would just ask that you do not judge Senator Obama's feelings on this subject by his lack of response. It should just be seen as a lack of response and not a lack of caring or understanding of what is going on around him.

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2008, 10:33 AM
In the primary, I cannot vote for someone of a different party.

Kelly,

Primary rules are established state by state. In Illinois I was not registered with either party and was able to request whichever ballot I wanted in a primary. In California the Democratic Party allows crossover voting in the primary if you vote in person (as opposed to absentee ballot) but the Republican Party does not.

I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable. Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?

JenBKR
10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable.  Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?It's not - to me anyway (and I am a Christian).  Then again, I can't stand Limbaugh.....

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Kelly,

Primary rules are established state by state. In Illinois I was not registered with either party and was able to request whichever ballot I wanted in a primary. In California the Democratic Party allows crossover voting in the primary if you vote in person (as opposed to absentee ballot) but the Republican Party does not.

Oh see, I find that interesting. :) In NJ you must declare to vote in a primary. I believe you can actually go to the poll and declare there (at least that is what I was told at one time by someone who was calling to get voters out).

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2008, 11:02 AM
My sister lived in Newark New Jersey...she was in her urban pioneer phase. She wanted to vote for...I don't remember the name...it was a woman. The woman was a Republican. My sister went to her polling place and asked for a Republican ballot. After a moment of shocked silence...they had to send someone out to find a Republican ballot!

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Lol :D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
It's not - to me anyway (and I am a Christian).  Then again, I can't stand Limbaugh.....

Same here Jen. I wouldn't believe anything Limbaugh says and don't bother to listen to him. Or Bill Mahar either for that matter. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Kelly,
I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable. Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?

Cause it is acceptable to mockingly call someone God or the messiah...you just can't be serious and do it.

Didn't you know that, ES?

K9soul
10-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I took it to mean if someone does it mockingly, they are just being an ass, but someone who seriously means it would be disturbing to a Christian who believes only Christ is the Messiah. Though I haven't personally heard anyone referring to Obama as such, I have to doubt anyone truly means it seriously.

lizbud
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I took it to mean if someone does it mockingly, they are just being an ass, but someone who seriously means it would be disturbing to a Christian who believes only Christ is the Messiah. Though I haven't personally heard anyone referring to Obama as such, I have to doubt anyone truly means it seriously.

I've never heard Obama called or even described as a Messiah.

Pam
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5HEc-vOJs

Instrument that God is going to use?

Edwina's Secretary
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Cause it is acceptable to mockingly call someone God or the messiah...you just can't be serious and do it.

Didn't you know that, ES?

Well duh on me! ;):D Am I the only one getting that feeling of deja vu all over again? This whole conversation reminds me of when some Muslims were offended by some Danish cartoons.

NoahsMommy
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Kelly,

Oh! This makes sense as I've always voted absentee!!! Thank you for explaining this to me! :D :) Hmmm....can you change your voting party for the Primary and then change it back for the regular (Although that wouldn't matter other than census info, I guess?).

I DON'T find it acceptable and never said I liked, nor approved of him. I think writen word isn't always easy to fully understand where people are coming from - or, I need to learn to explain myself or my comments. I don't find ANYONE calling ANYONE the Messiah or Christ, unless they ARE Christ/Messiah OK. That was my entire point. Joking or not, its not cool. As a Presidential Candidate - trying to gain "Bible Belt" voters, you'd think he'd at LEAST make a 10 second comment. But, again, IMO!

NoahsMommy
10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5HEc-vOJs

Instrument that God is going to use?

THANK YOU, Pam!!! I was beginning to think myself CRAZY! I've heard, with my own ears, Obama being referred in this way many times. When most of you said you'd hadn't heard anything like this...I well, felt a bit crazy for a second there.

Then, I kept on hearing and reading it. I should site these sources and will from now on.

From above:
On "Saviors Day, 2008" Louis Farrakhan Declares Barack Obama The Messiah....
Messiah....Savior....Christ....hmm.
You CANNOT tell me Obama doesn't know someone like Louis Farrakhan is talking about him like this. Seriously???

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Perhaps Kelly you heard what some Orange County Republican group published yesterday? An Anti-Obama flier -- showed him with watermelon, fried chicken and ribs. I heard a member of the group (or perhaps the husband of a member...not sure) defending it as no different than spaghetti and meatballs.

At some of Ms. Palin's rallies, people have yelled out "traitor" "terrorist" and "kill him" in reference to Obama.

Does that bother you at all?

Ginger's Mom
10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I truly hope that the Presidential candidates do not allow themselves to be distracted from the issues. If it is as easy as calling a candidate a name in order to get him to spend time talking about something other than political issues, then they will not have time to focus on the issues. You may find this one to be the most important issue and the one that should be addressed. Someone else will find something else said by someone not connected with Obama to be the issue to be addressed, and so on. No, the candidates and their staff should be the ones who decide to which issues/comments they are going respond. If they decide some statements are not worth commenting on, that is their decision. Personally, I feel if the comments have no bearing on what he has or is able to do politically, they should not be addressed. I cannot tell you how strongly I believe that any attention to Mr. Farrakhan's statements are nothing more than misdirection of voters attention. However, having said that, if you don't like the decisions he makes do not vote for him. But the decision on what should or should not be considered issues to be addressed should be only his.

RICHARD
10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
The 'messiah' angle came up at that ALfred E Neuman roast they attended, also I heard two news programs refer to him as the messiah-Fox News L.A. and another cable news channel.

I do not follow any religion- But to think, suggest or speculate that any 'human' could possibly be elevated to god status is insulting and funny, to say the least.

This is another way that people are trying to ingratiate themselves to BO-by pushing their followers, be they a religion, race, economic segment to put him in office. They can come back to claim their part in a Dem win and pressure him to side with them on political/social/economic issues.

It happens all the time. An official put into a seat of government gets put on the spot with, "I helped you win, now do this for me!" And should they balk at the request they will get the "You aren't -------- enough" and dragged across the media as sell outs.

Just watch.

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2008, 10:56 AM
This is another way that people are trying to ingratiate themselves to BO-by pushing their followers, be they a religion, race, economic segment to put him in office. They can come back to claim their part in a Dem win and pressure him to side with them on political/social/economic issues.

And this happens in no other party?

And Ginger's Mom...well said. Far better than I could!

NoahsMommy
10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
The decision as to who would best define and implement a parties goals should be made by that party alone, and not by whomever decided to go the the polls that day. JMO.

Thank you for your explaination. :) I respectfully disagree with the above sentence though. As I said before, I'm registered Republican, but because the candidates individually I've seen thus far align more with my values, NOT because I decided to be Republican (No hidden meaning here - everyone has their own way of choosing their parties.)

I believe the American people vote on the issues HOW they see the candidates in relation to those issues. Just because I'm registered Republican doesn't mean that candidate agrees with what is important to me. If there is a Democratic candidate that aligns more with what I feel is more important, I should be able to vote for that person. I agree with that the parties tend to have different ideas, but our rights as American voters give us exactly that right, to CHOOSE who we want as our leader/s.

It is not how his supporters see him, but a detractors way of making them seem like sheep instead of thinking people who have made an intelligent reasoned decision.

I guess I would just ask that you do not judge Senator Obama's feelings on this subject by his lack of response. It should just be seen as a lack of response and not a lack of caring or understanding of what is going on around him.

Thank you for explaining this to me. While I didn't mean that his supporters were like sheep in any way, I do see what my comment implicates.

I guess my concerns were regarding CERTAIN supporters. Like Farrachan, Aires, Write, Jackson and EVERY freaking celebrity on the planet, with the exception of Kidd Rock ;) .

NoahsMommy
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Perhaps Kelly you heard what some Orange County Republican group published yesterday? An Anti-Obama flier -- showed him with watermelon, fried chicken and ribs. I heard a member of the group (or perhaps the husband of a member...not sure) defending it as no different than spaghetti and meatballs.

At some of Ms. Palin's rallies, people have yelled out "traitor" "terrorist" and "kill him" in reference to Obama.

ALL of the above sickens me! Do you not know me at all??? :confused:

That stupid flier was intended as a reaction to Obama saying he didn't look like any of the Presidents on our money. They put his picture on a $10 food stamp and put donkey ears on him. A STUPID, CRUEL, EVIL way to react, for sure!

NoahsMommy
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
But the decision on what should or should not be considered issues to be addressed should be only his.

Not if it concerns the American people.

Ginger's Mom
10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you for explaining this to me. While I didn't mean that his supporters were like sheep in any way, I do see what my comment implicates.

I guess my concerns were regarding CERTAIN supporters. Like Farrachan, Aires, Write, Jackson and EVERY freaking celebrity on the planet, with the exception of Kidd Rock ;) .

I didn't mean to indicate that I thought you were saying that, I meant the people who are mockingly calling him a messiah in the media are belittling his political supporters. I didn't think that you were calling him that.

Not if it concerns the American people.

I am not sure if I understand this answer. Or it may be that we agree to disagree, which is fine. You do not believe that the candidate has a right to decide what issues he is going to respond to? You believe that Governor Palin should be responding to all of the stories about her because some of the American people want her to? I truly disagree with this. The candidates must decide what they feel is important to this country and focus on those issues. If they decide that not to respond to certain items in the press that I think are important, then I will let them know that on election day. But I cannot expect them to respond to every negative story about them ever printed. And I guarantee you there is going to be someone in the world that thinks something in every story is worth a response. So they have to stick to the issues they see as important to this country. Their choice of what those issues are will give you some insight into whether you agree with their values.

ETA: And let me say again, whether or not someone called him the Messiah or not, does not have any relation to his ablity to govern this country. I understand that you say it concerns you, I would hope that what someone unrelated to him or his campaign said doesn't concern you more than hearing about what he would do to improve the problems facing American people here and abroad. Since the candidates only had a limited amount of time to make a their positions known as to what they are going to do politically to stregthen this country, they should spend all of their public time addressing those issues. But again that is just my opinion.

Edwina's Secretary
10-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Gosh Kelly! RICHARD thinks rock stars have valuable political wisdom to share. Just recently he was whining because Bruce Springteen did not go on a political talk show. I am not sure what area of the political debate R was hoping Springsteen would speak about....

rosethecopycat
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM

It bothers me. All of that is wrong!
But it doesn't make me think this guy deserves to be President because people are saying such nasty things about him.

blue
10-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Can you please find some video of that? I havent been able to find anything factual to back up those claims.

KTHNXBY.

Edwina's Secretary
10-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Can you please find some video of that? I havent been able to find anything factual to back up those claims.

KTHNXBY.

No. I'm sorry you are having diffiuclty using the internet but I just don't have time to help you with your research. It has been so extensively covered it shouldn't be too difficult!

Edwina's Secretary
10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
It bothers me. All of that is wrong!
But it doesn't make me think this guy deserves to be President because people are saying such nasty things about him.

I agree with you. I regreted that posting but I was so angry at the hate.

There are real reasons to vote. I don't think because Rush Limbaugh or Obama's supporters or anyone else uses the word "messiah" should have anything to do with the election.

I expressed myself poorly regarding this matter. Ginger's Mom did it far better than I.

blue
10-26-2008, 02:00 AM
http://www2.nationalreview.com/dest/2008/10/19/obamavotive.jpg

blue
10-26-2008, 02:02 AM
No. I'm sorry you are having diffiuclty using the internet but I just don't have time to help you with your research. It has been so extensively covered it shouldn't be too difficult!

Still havent found anything credible on this, so your hearsay is much like the tightly coiled piles my dogs leave in the yard.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Still havent found anything credible on this, so your hearsay is much like the tightly coiled piles my dogs leave in the yard.

Sorry about that Blue. Perhaps there is a local community college where you can take some classes that will help you learn how to use the internet?

blue
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry about that Blue. Perhaps there is a local community college where you can take some classes that will help you learn how to use the internet?

So you have no legitmate proof to this rumor then.

lizbud
10-26-2008, 12:47 PM
So you have no legitmate proof to this rumor then.

Oh, for pete's sake man, it was all over the news. I saw the coverage of
campaign stops where it happened & it was on ABC news. I'm sure there were
other reports on other newscasts. You want someone else to do the work for
you? It's not gonna happen. You raised the issue, you prove it was false.

K9soul
10-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I went to google, I typed in the words "Palin rally Obama traitor."

http://www.google.com/search?q=palin+rally+obama+traitor&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US228

Here was the article at the top of the search: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5987004&page=1

I'm not sure if you are truly unfamiliar with using google or if you are just trying to ruffle feathers more.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Yes, I too found over 500,000 hits in less that 3 seconds. This one truely deserves many :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

caseysmom
10-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey you guys give some leeway to the internet challenged:D

blue
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Can you please find some video of that?

That was what I asked for, video proof, not reports on what a reporter reported.

I have not been able to find video where someone shouts out "kill him", and in the video K9soul linked to stated someone yelled "off with his head" but failed to show the video proof of it. I have searched for the Video footage of these claims and found a few where people have yelled terrrorist and treason and zero of any footage where somebody yelled "kill him". 500000 google hits mean absolutly nothing if they dont show footage of the reported claim.

So if you dont know the difference between video footage and a report of an event you shouldnt be calling someone internet challenged.

lizbud
10-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey you guys give some leeway to the internet challenged:D

LOL Makes a person wonder what kind of news they get up there in Bosilla :D

K9soul
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Blue,

Sorry if I misunderstood what you are looking for. I've seen plenty of youtube clips of people spewing hatred, I clearly heard the "terrorist" call at a clip of one of McCain's rallies, and obviously there was enough of that going on that McCain took notice and eventually spoke up about it. I don't really see yelling "terrorist" as any better than "kill him." None of it is good. That does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that all McCain supporters have those feelings. I don't doubt that the hatred exists. There has always been racism and bigotry, and when a man of a different race is running for the presidency it's bound to come out. Rallies tend to induce a mob mentality in a crowd, and it's really not that much of a stretch to think that in their fervor, some people have yelled out such things. I'm not one to blindly believe whatever the media says, but I don't find it implausible based on other things I have seen and heard.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 04:39 PM
The suggest that "proof" does exist unless it is on videotape is a little silly.

Life does happen without a video camera turned on!

Geez...this MTV/Reality Show generation! :D;):D

blue
10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Blue,

Sorry if I misunderstood what you are looking for. I've seen plenty of youtube clips of people spewing hatred, I clearly heard the "terrorist" call at a clip of one of McCain's rallies, and obviously there was enough of that going on that McCain took notice and eventually spoke up about it. I don't really see yelling "terrorist" as any better than "kill him." None of it is good. That does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that all McCain supporters have those feelings. I don't doubt that the hatred exists. There has always been racism and bigotry, and when a man of a different race is running for the presidency it's bound to come out. Rallies tend to induce a mob mentality in a crowd, and it's really not that much of a stretch to think that in their fervor, some people have yelled out such things. I'm not one to blindly believe whatever the media says, but I don't find it implausible based on other things I have seen and heard.

I do not atribute someone yelling "terrorist" after the mention of William Ayres, an actual terroist, to mean NObama is a terrorist so its not the same as "kill him". Nor do I think race has anything to do with it. With all the media coverage of Palins ralies it should be real easy to type "Sarah Palin kill him" into youtubes search engine and find the appropriate video, the worst that comes up is the terrorist comment.

The actual video hasnt been posted by those who claim to have seen it, if they have actually seen it at all, choosing instead to make snide and insulting comments. Because of that, Im lead to beleive they are just blowwing smoke.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 04:59 PM
How odd is that??? YouTube as the definitive source for news!

If is is not on YouTube...it didn't happen!

:D:D:D

Makes all history prior to 2000 and whatever...just blowing smoke! :D

(and to think there are those who laugh at The Daily Show as a news source! )

K9soul
10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I just wanted to clarify when I made my comment about bigotry and racism, those are comments I HAVE heard and seen first-hand. "He's an arab" "he's a black" "he's a terrorist" There's a lot of it out there. I hope you're not trying to say no one who is against Obama isn't due to racism issues or because of his name? It's not representative of all McCain/Palin followers, just like nutjob Obama followers aren't representative of all Obama followers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jr2TpMKpWk

caseysmom
10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow...ignorance is alive and well in Ohio! (and I am sure every other state)

K9soul
10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I was raised in southwest Missouri, not far from Branson. I am sure some of the people I knew and grew up around would have those same sentiments. I am sure there are many black people voting for Obama on race/color alone too. It is a sad state of affairs when someone's name, religion or color is what someone is judged by.

I know Obama is Christian, though some believe he is secretly muslim. I would have no problem voting for a jewish, muslim, agnostic, or whatever a person's faith may be, if I felt they were qualified and represented the ideas I most agreed with.

RICHARD
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
It's far more alarming when people act like idiots in front of the microphone - the idiots yelling smack from the crowd is pretty bad, Then you have media 'stars' that say what amounts to hate speech under the guise of comedy or humor. And have no forethought about what they are saying and how it can incite hate?

LOL,
If a comedian or talk show host came out and called Mrs. Biden or Obama a "prostitute" the world would end.

There are a few 'woman' media hosts that only get radio and TV time because they are foul mouthed skanks with no respect for the politicians they constantly bang on.

Some anonymous loud mouth yells some stupidity from a crowd, yet it's quite all right for a media mouth to say what amounts to the same kind of speech?

LOLOLOL, That is precious.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I know Obama is Christian, though some believe he is secretly muslim. I would have no problem voting for a jewish, muslim, agnostic, or whatever a person's faith may be, if I felt they were qualified and represented the ideas I most agreed with.

That saddens me so. A nation founded on freedom from government imposed religion still so obsessed with the brand of people's faith instead of the content of their character.

That vidoe is sad as well. I have family in St Clairsville, Ohio. So not surprising, just sad.

blue
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I just wanted to clarify when I made my comment about bigotry and racism, those are comments I HAVE heard and seen first-hand. "He's an arab" "he's a black" "he's a terrorist" There's a lot of it out there. I hope you're not trying to say no one who is against Obama isn't due to racism issues or because of his name? It's not representative of all McCain/Palin followers, just like nutjob Obama followers aren't representative of all Obama followers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jr2TpMKpWk

Ive heard the same comments too searching for the "kill him" videos. Yes bigotry and racism are still alive in both parties, booing Barack or yelling "terrorist" isnt allways going to be indicitive of racism or bigotry. Trying to say it is is just as ignorant as saying it isnt.

blue
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
How odd is that??? YouTube as the definitive source for news!

If is is not on YouTube...it didn't happen!

:D:D:D

Makes all history prior to 2000 and whatever...just blowing smoke! :D

(and to think there are those who laugh at The Daily Show as a news source! )

You claim to have seen the video, post the link and prove it. Otherwise you are just blowwing smoke.

Youtube is not a difinitive source, but if it actually happened someone would have posted it there. There are plenty of videos there with the disparaging comments, why isnt this one there? Im actually suprised nobody has posted an editted video as proof. Maybe you could suggest that to the DNC for them to consider.

Doing a google news search dosent come up with a video of the incident, only refferences in reports to it.

I work with someone who has not only cited The Daily Show and the Colbert Report as his sources for a number of "news" items.

K9soul
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Barack or yelling "terrorist" isnt allways going to be indicitive of racism or bigotry. Trying to say it is is just as ignorant as saying it isnt.

I guess you just want to argue, because I don't. I never claimed the terrorist remarks were borne of racism. I just put them in the same category of ignorance as the other remarks.

blue
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I guess you just want to argue, because I don't. I never claimed the terrorist remarks were borne of racism. I just put them in the same category of ignorance as the other remarks.

I was agreeing with you.

ETA: I had to look at your link on the other comp this one has no sound, thanks for actually posting the link rather then being snide.

K9soul
10-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Ah my apologies then. I misread you.

lizbud
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Ah my apologies then. I misread you.

You are too kind. He's backpedaling like crazy. Saying.....

" Yes bigotry and racism are still alive in both parties, booing Barack or yelling "terrorist" isnt allways going to be indicitive of racism or bigotry. Trying to say it is is just as ignorant as saying it isnt."

Doesn't sound like agreement at all. Oh, and you are right K9soul, he
ablsolutely LOVES to argue. Some folks will argue on whether the sun sets
in the west.:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Some folks will argue on whether the sun sets

But only if it hasn't been shown on YouTube! :D:D:D

catland
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
my turn, my turn,

neat reading from the Huffington Post (not a website I normally frequent but hey, times are interesting). this is from an essay by Menachem Ronsensaft. This is regarding the era of McCarthism (nothing to do with Paul, pre-you tube)

"Those of us who shout the loudest about Americanism are all too frequently those who, by our own words and acts, ignore some of the basic principles of Americanism."

While these words seem tailor made for the divisive rhetoric of the McCain campaign, they were actually spoken more than 58 years ago on the floor of the United States Senate by Republican Senator Margaret Chase Smith from Maine in her historic repudiation of the vicious character assassinations hurled by Senator Joseph McCarthy against countless Americans. Speaking on behalf of herself and six other Republican Senators, she said that, "The American people are sick and tired of being afraid to speak their minds lest they be politically smeared as 'Communists' or 'Fascists' by their opponents."

The more popular epithets emanating from present-day Republican apparatchiks and the other flacks associated with the 2008 McCain campaign are "terrorist," "Muslim," and "anti-American," but their intent is the same as the red scare labels used so effectively by their McCarthyite role models: to depict their political adversaries generally, and Barack Obama specifically, as somehow dangerous, subversive, even evil.

(he then gives some examples from the current campaign)

In her 1950 Declaration of Conscience, Margaret Chase Smith said that "I don't want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear." John McCain, Sarah Palin and the Republican Party have knowingly resurrected these demons with a vengeance. We must not, we cannot let them get away with it.

blue
10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
You are too kind. He's backpedaling like crazy. Saying.....

" Yes bigotry and racism are still alive in both parties, booing Barack or yelling "terrorist" isnt allways going to be indicitive of racism or bigotry. Trying to say it is is just as ignorant as saying it isnt."

Doesn't sound like agreement at all. Oh, and you are right K9soul, he
ablsolutely LOVES to argue. Some folks will argue on whether the sun sets

But only if it hasn't been shown on YouTube! :D:D:D

What I stated about bigotry and racism in both parties is true enough, you see a back pedal I see agreement.

At least K9soul actually Posted the link instead of making belittling and insulting comments, unlike the two of you.

lizbud
10-28-2008, 09:30 AM
my turn, my turn,

neat reading from the Huffington Post (not a website I normally frequent but hey, times are interesting). this is from an essay by Menachem Ronsensaft. This is regarding the era of McCarthism (nothing to do with Paul, pre-you tube)

"Those of us who shout the loudest about Americanism are all too frequently those who, by our own words and acts, ignore some of the basic principles of Americanism."

While these words seem tailor made for the divisive rhetoric of the McCain campaign, they were actually spoken more than 58 years ago on the floor of the United States Senate by Republican Senator Margaret Chase Smith from Maine in her historic repudiation of the vicious character assassinations hurled by Senator Joseph McCarthy against countless Americans. Speaking on behalf of herself and six other Republican Senators, she said that, "The American people are sick and tired of being afraid to speak their minds lest they be politically smeared as 'Communists' or 'Fascists' by their opponents."

The more popular epithets emanating from present-day Republican apparatchiks and the other flacks associated with the 2008 McCain campaign are "terrorist," "Muslim," and "anti-American," but their intent is the same as the red scare labels used so effectively by their McCarthyite role models: to depict their political adversaries generally, and Barack Obama specifically, as somehow dangerous, subversive, even evil.

(he then gives some examples from the current campaign)

In her 1950 Declaration of Conscience, Margaret Chase Smith said that "I don't want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear." John McCain, Sarah Palin and the Republican Party have knowingly resurrected these demons with a vengeance. We must not, we cannot let them get away with it.

Great post catland.:) So apropos. Thank you for posting it.

Puckstop31
10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
But its OK to call somebody a racist if they say something bad about BO? Or its OK to "shut out" a media venue for asking tough questions?

McCain's campaign is not the only one that is negative and devisive.

K9soul
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
But its OK to call somebody a racist if they say something bad about BO? Or its OK to "shut out" a media venue for asking tough questions?

I hope you aren't referring to me here? I haven't personally seen anyone here call someone else here a racist for being against Obama? I brought up that racism is an issue in this election with some people in the U.S. and then posted the video link to show what I was talking about. It wasn't any secret implication towards individuals.

JenBKR
10-28-2008, 11:18 AM
It's unfortunate that race is an issue at all, but it is. I heard on the news last night that there was an assasination plot against Obama that the FBI just broke up. It was two skinheads, wanting to kill 88 black people I think, including him. How sad...:(

Puckstop31
10-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope you aren't referring to me here? I haven't personally seen anyone here call someone else here a racist for being against Obama? I brought up that racism is an issue in this election with some people in the U.S. and then posted the video link to show what I was talking about. It wasn't any secret implication towards individuals.

I am not referring to anybody here. Just the tone of the campaigns.

K9soul
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I am not referring to anybody here. Just the tone of the campaigns.

Thanks for the clarification.

shais_mom
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm actually more surprised of the people that say that they haven't heard him called the Messiah. B/c I sure have and I've really tried hard not to listen!

Edwina's Secretary
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm actually more surprised of the people that say that they haven't heard him called the Messiah. B/c I sure have and I've really tried hard not to listen!

Some are more interested in what the candidates have to say than in the names the candidates are called by others!

shais_mom
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Some are more interested in what the candidates have to say than in the names the candidates are called by others!

True story. And you know I love you Sara!
And all I'm gonna say is I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL IT IS ALLLLL OVER! I've had it with all of it!

Karen
11-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Keep in mind that you are in a *gasp* swing state so you get far more in terms of advertising and media and hype than we in the "decidedly a certain color" states. I am sure if I tried really, really hard I could find someone saying that, but I have had enough anyway, and am glad the election will be over soon, and we can all begin the process of moving forward.

There was even an article in the Boston Globe magazine yesterday written by an Ohio person saying basically "we have all the fun!"

Grace
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
And all I'm gonna say is I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL IT IS ALLLLL OVER! I've had it with all of it!

I second that!!

CountryWolf07
11-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I second that!!

Ditto!!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-03-2008, 01:22 PM

I know someone who is going to have a "Thank God, it's all over party" this week!!! :D Remember Dorothy39? ;)

RICHARD
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
It's unfortunate that race is an issue at all, but it is. I heard on the news last night that there was an assasination plot against Obama that the FBI just broke up. It was two skinheads, wanting to kill 88 black people I think, including him. How sad...:(

I had to scratch my head about a comment I read about in the newspaper about this apparent "plot". THe Fibbies said that it was no great shakes as far as the planning went-they had no plan in place! It was just a pair of "good old boys" being stupid.

Anywho, Some columnist/poli-blogger (I give credit to the political bloggers because most of them are stupid hate/panic/word mongers who incite raw passions with their posts-as it some person can knock the planet off kilter from their locked basement room!) was saying that the news story about the plot was being ignored by the media. It was "being buried" and people were not paying attention to the news worthiness of it.

Uh, yeah...it was reported and what are we to do about it? Hash it out and give some other bozos an idea as to how to plan a killing?

There is a reason that the Government does not want to talk about the way they uncover these plots against gov't. officials.

LOL, Here come the anti-Patriot Act comments. Trust me, should something happen to an official/candidate that you support you would be crying bloody FN murder yourselves.

------------

I had an interesting experience with a woman right after the elections for mayor here in Los Angeles.

The day after the idio--an, people elected Antonio Villaraigosa to the seat this woman came in to use the FAX in the area and began to spew some real effing hateful crap. The race was a hotly contested campaign where many people were rooting against AV and people were freaking out about having a Am-Mex as a mayor.

The conversation went something like this-
ME: Hi, how are you?
Stupid Woman: I am mad!
M: Gee....I am sorry....
SW: I can't beleive that they elected that guy to be mayor.
M: Hmmm, I didn't vote for him.
SW: Now the people will want things from him....
M: LIke what?
SW: You know, the illegal aliens!

I couldn't figure out if she was stupid or was directing her venom at the nearest Am-Mex because the election didn't go her way!

A radio host told this story a while back-I don't know if it was a joke or real- He was in a public business a few days after an election when a person next to him happened to open up a pay envelope. They checked out the deductions on the stub and announced for the room to hear, "I voted for XYZ and they promised to lower my taxes!"

Unfortunately, that is the stupidity of Joe Plumber, Conrad Construction, Sammy Streetsweeper and Felicia Flight Attendant.

The political "messiahs" always promise more than they can carry.

Morons.

---------------

IT ain't over until one half of the population is bellyaching over the results.

Remember,

Be gracious in defeat, but carry the animosity in the depths your heart.
It helps during the rematch!

lizbud
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I know someone who is going to have a "Thank God, it's all over party" this week!!! :D Remember Dorothy39? ;)

That's a party I wouldn't miss. I think she would have a lot of company.:D

cassiesmom
11-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I know someone who is going to have a "Thank God, it's all over party" this week!!!
It's not even close to being all over here in Chicago. Everything he does for the next 75 days is going to be closely watched.