PDA

View Full Version : *WARNING* Lady questions

king2005
10-14-2008, 11:30 PM
A female friend in the Orange, CA just asked me what, where & how to get birth control & female pap tests.

I'm asking this because I don't know what Americans call things as your medical system is different then ours, & I don't want to miss lead her... She trusts me greatly... She comes to me about sex & lady questions as her mother refuses to say or teach her anything.

Shes not currently in a sexual relationship, shes 20 next month & in a relationship. She wants to get on the pill for a few months so her body is adjusted before she becomes sexually active (that is an if)... I also don't know what age to get a pap at.. I started young for medical reasons, but for her I don't know.

Any advice I can give her would be greatly appreciated.

caseysmom
10-14-2008, 11:34 PM
She can go to planned parenthood they are clinics that help low income and young people.

king2005
10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
She can go to planned parenthood they are clinics that help low income and young people.

Thank you I'll let her know!

NoahsMommy
10-14-2008, 11:42 PM
It depends on if she has health insurance. If she does, but its under her parent's name, they would be recieving something in the mail, and thus, would know she went to a doctor. So, if she doesn't want them to know, using her health insurance may not be an option. If it IS OK with her parents (as in, they wont give her a hard time about going to a GYN), she needs to look for a Gyn. She can look up local GYNs on her health insurance website...or call a local hospital for a referral.

Like caseysmom said, we have Planned Parenthood here in CA where she can get an exam (Pap Smear) and a prescription for birth control pills. She can look online or call information on the telephone for a Planned Parenthood near her. Planned Parenthood is low-cost or free, depending on her situation.

If she's going to become active, she needs to protect herself from STDs as well. Birth Control pills will prevent pregnancy, but she needs to be sure to also use a condom to protect herself. She needs to be smart, STDs can cause cancer in women....it is VERY dangerous and VERY serious that she protect herself. I work in the medical field and have worked in OB/GYN - this happens so frequently, you have no idea. PLEASE pass along this life/death information to her, OK??

I think its really nice that she has you to give her advice and support. Thanks for being such a great friend to someone in need. That's really nice! :)

king2005
10-14-2008, 11:57 PM
It depends on if she has health insurance. If she does, but its under her parent's name, they would be recieving something in the mail, and thus, would know she went to a doctor. So, if she doesn't want them to know, using her health insurance may not be an option. If it IS OK with her parents (as in, they wont give her a hard time about going to a GYN), she needs to look for a Gyn. She can look up local GYNs on her health insurance website...or call a local hospital for a referral.

Like caseysmom said, we have Planned Parenthood here in CA where she can get an exam (Pap Smear) and a prescription for birth control pills. She can look online or call information on the telephone for a Planned Parenthood near her. Planned Parenthood is low-cost or free, depending on her situation.

If she's going to become active, she needs to protect herself from STDs as well. Birth Control pills will prevent pregnancy, but she needs to be sure to also use a condom to protect herself. She needs to be smart, STDs can cause cancer in women....it is VERY dangerous and VERY serious that she protect herself. I work in the medical field and have worked in OB/GYN - this happens so frequently, you have no idea. PLEASE pass along this life/death information to her, OK??

I think its really nice that she has you to give her advice and support. Thanks for being such a great friend to someone in need. That's really nice! :)

Thank you so much :)

Shes very strict about condoms, & I told her that SHE needs to make sure its on him properly. So its always best if she gets into the habit of her putting it on him as a fun/kinky thing to do. She said that has worked out very well, as he is non the wiser that she is actually making 100% sure its on him properly! She also knows that the pre-cum (as I know it) can carry live sperm & STDs. She knows the dangers of Oral/anal, but she refuses to do that 100%.. But I made her listen to me anyways JUST incase she felt like experimenting down the road.

She wants to always use Condoms & has no interest in telling the guy she is on birth control, as she doesn't want him thinking he can go bareback. All she wants is to educate herself, protect herself, & to avoid all risks to the best she can.

Shes lucky I had an AWESOME dad!! As weird as it sounds, he made darn sure I was educated, smart & prepared... He bought all sorts of books to learn how to deal with a teen age daughter as a single father & how to deal with a sexually active one at that.. Needless to say he was Awesome & bought me everything I needed to stay safe & not to feel embarrassed.. even my pads :) To this day when I visit he asks if I need him to buy my pads for me... Hes the #1 dad out there :) He still tries to educate me on this stuff hehe, he tells me all the things mom went through & how to avoid it & what to do if it happens.. man I love him :)

Karen
10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes, she needs to see a doctor. She should remember to get an annual pap smear, just to be sure and stay safe.

king2005
10-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes, she needs to see a doctor. She should remember to get an annual pap smear, just to be sure and stay safe.

I'll pass that along, thank you :)

NoahsMommy
10-15-2008, 12:10 AM
She wants to always use Condoms & has no interest in telling the guy she is on birth control, as she doesn't want him thinking he can go bareback.

That is an EXCELLENT idea! Very good, that makes the guy fearful enough to be smart. Great thinking on her part! :)

Your dad sounds like a smart, supportive guy. That's so great you have someone like that in your life. :)

I agree with Karen, she needs the female exams annually: Pap (the Pap is ONLY for pre-cancerous/abnormal cells at the cervix and vag. They can test further for specific STDs - just in case - as well as other forms of pre-cancer.) and the breast exam. She may ask about the new cervical cancer vaccine: Gardasil, while she's there. I want to get this too, at my next GYN visit.

Take care! :)

Emeraldgreen
10-15-2008, 12:55 AM
In Canada the medical exam is covered. The prescription will cost money though unless you have extra coverage or if she is on low income government assistant plan that helps pay a good portion of meds. We have that here in B.C. and I think it is a national thing.
Pap tests should start anytime someone is sexually active or is about to be. She can contact a local medical clinic in her area and make an appointment for the pap test. Gynocologists are hard to come by, at least in my area and most doctors are willing and able to do this test. If she is uncomfortable with the doctor being a man, she can request a female doctor. This doctor would then be the one who would prescribe the birthcontrol. This test is usually done once a year and the doctor does a breast exam at the same time. :)

king2005
10-15-2008, 12:58 AM
In Canada it's all covered. Pap tests should start anytime someone is sexually active or is about to be. She can contact a local medical clinic and make an appointment for the pap test. Gynocologists are hard to come by, at least in my area and most doctors are willing and able to to this test. If she is uncomfortable with the doctor being a man, she can request a female doctor. This doctor would then be the one who would prescribe the birthcontrol. :)

Orange, CA is in the USA.. I'm in Canada so I know all about our medical stuffs, but zip about the American & if things are different in all the states :S

Emeraldgreen
10-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Orange, CA is in the USA.. I'm in Canada so I know all about our medical stuffs, but zip about the American & if things are different in all the states :S

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't read the post carefully enough.
I used to live in Arizona for 12 years and had my first pap there and I went to planned parenthood to get it done. I do remember that they made me watch a horrible video about abortion though first. Hopefully things have changed since then. I remember that the b-pills were dispensed from Planned Parenthood as well. Clinics like CIGNA medical clinics can do these exams if you have coverage with them.

king2005
10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't read the post carefully enough.
I used to live in Arizona for 12 years and had my first pap there and I went to planned parenthood to get it done. I do remember that they made me watch a horrible video about abortion though first. Hopefully things have changed since then. I remember that the b-pills were dispensed from Planned Parenthood as well. Clinics like CIGNA medical clinics can do these exams if you have coverage with them.

hehe no worries :)

I'll pass on the CIGNA info to her :)

NoahsMommy
10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I just thought of something. Free medical clinics can do the same exam and prescriptions for her as well if she cannot find a Planned Parenthood near her. Just have her type into Yahoo.com or YahooYellowPages (or wherever she wants :) Duh, Kelly!) and search for "free clinic, Orange, CA".

I case she doesn't have insurance or cannot use it due to her parents being upset or whatever. If she works, she pays the taxes to support places like that and should be free to use them. (IMHO, of course! ;) )

king2005
10-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I just thought of something. Free medical clinics can do the same exam and prescriptions for her as well if she cannot find a Planned Parenthood near her. Just have her type into Yahoo.com or YahooYellowPages (or wherever she wants :) Duh, Kelly!) and search for "free clinic, Orange, CA".

I case she doesn't have insurance or cannot use it due to her parents being upset or whatever. If she works, she pays the taxes to support places like that and should be free to use them. (IMHO, of course! ;) )

I'll pass that info to her.. She said shes heard of PP but didn't know they did exams there too. She wants to pay for her meds as she said she can afford it & doesn't want to be taking away from people who really need it for free. The exam she might need help in paying, but she said she should have more then enough for 1 exam