PDA

View Full Version : Giving the finger?

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
http://current.com/items/89375903_mesa_state_lineman_has_finger_amputated_s o_he_can_play

I don't know if this guy is to be admired or shipped off to have his head examined.

It is dedication, no matter how you look at it!:eek:

Taz_Zoee
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok, in the picture he is resting his arm on a crutch. Why? :confused:
Also, why would he never be able to play again if they did surgery on his pinky finger??
I guess it is just the pinky, that's not a very important finger anyway. LOL

blue
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Thats some dedication to the game and his team.

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 07:52 PM
The crutch was probably there to keep him from hanging his hand down.

Hand injuries, especially when they put stitches in, really make your hand throb. I have had stitches in my palm and when you hang your hand by your side it makes the wound feel like it pulses with every beat of your heart...it hurts!

If he had surgery on the hand he would have forfeited his senior year of playing.

Taz_Zoee
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
If he had surgery on the hand he would have forfeited his senior year of playing.

So having the finger removed will heal faster? Is that it?

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
So having the finger removed will heal faster? Is that it?

No, If he had surgery on it he would have not been able to play for the rest of the season.

He could have asked for a 'redshirt' exemption, stayed in school for one more year and played in the '09 season. He chose to finish his college career by having the surgery so he could get out of school with his class.

jennielynn1970
10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, but you don't amputate a part of your body just so you can continue playing college football. I mean, it's football. It's not like they said "You won't graduate if you keep your finger." all they said was you won't be able to play. I'd rather keep parts of my body, thank you.

blue
10-14-2008, 10:58 PM
This says it all to me.

"This team means the world to me. ... I would have no problem taking a bullet for any of these guys. I love 'em that much. This is my bullet."

There is no "I" in TEAM Jenn.

IRescue452
10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
What is society coming to? Have the guy's head examined.

blue
10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
What is society coming to? Have the guy's head examined.

He is thinking of his team first, when did this become a me first society?

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 01:21 AM
There is no "I" in TEAM Jenn.

I get the whole love of his team, but you don't cut off your finger to play football for ONE more year. ONE year vs. the REST of your life.

blue
10-15-2008, 01:29 AM
I get the whole love of his team, but you don't cut off your finger to play football for ONE more year. ONE year vs. the REST of your life.

If he dosent make the NFL, his last year playing in college could be very important to him. His level of comitment seems to be very different then mine and yours.

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 01:33 AM
If he dosent make the NFL, his last year playing in college could be very important to him. His level of comitment seems to be very different then mine and yours.

I understand important, really, I do. I understand commitment as well. I just don't get it.

That being said, I'm not him. I'm glad I'm not having to make that decision. I'm sure decisions I've made wouldn't be understood by others either, but then again, that's why we have our own minds and make our own choices.

blue
10-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Im not competitive enough to just amputate a digit either but Ive worked with some very overly competitive people so I understand the mindset.

Right now, even if I had insurance (right now I do not), I would amputate a finger if it where cheaper then saving the finger.

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Right now, even if I had insurance (right now I do not), I would amputate a finger if it where cheaper then saving the finger.

WHAT???? :eek: You're kidding me, right?? You'd cut off a finger vs. repairing it, based on cost?

I have insurance, thankfully, but even if I did not, I wouldn't be willing to lose a finger or toe over it. I use my hands/fingers for way too many things.

blue
10-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Why would I kid about an issue like this? I work with my hands and I used to play bass.

We are on the verge of radicalising health care, of course Im going to make the choice based on cost. Why should I pass my extensive healthcare costs onto you?

Im a smoker, I dont expect you to pay for my poor judgment either.

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Why would I kid about an issue like this? I work with my hands and I used to play bass.

We are on the verge of radicalising health care, of course Im going to make the choice based on cost. Why should I pass my extensive healthcare costs onto you?

Im a smoker, I dont expect you to pay for my poor judgment either.

"Radicalized" :confused: health care or not, I still don't see how you can just base it on cost.

Not everyone can afford healthcare, and I guess I just see that as something that should be provided for. Healthcare, dental, vision. I just think those things are necessities. Whether that takes "radical" measures to be effective, it should be done.

blue
10-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Health Care is allways going to be based on cost. It dosent matter who is paying the bill.

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Although, as I said, it shouldn't be. It's a necessity.

CountryWolf07
10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
That's some commitment! Wow. I can understand why. I'm in college, and I am a fan of college football, good luck to him. It's just a pinky finger, NOT that important, BUT if it was the thumb, otherwise, that'd be a different story and I'd have surgery on the thumb to save it instead of cutting it off.

Edwina's Secretary
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
What a very, very sick man. If he cut off his trigger finger so he would not have to join the military and leave the football team, would that also be noble?

One person does not make the team. He did not do this for the team. He did it for himself so he could be on the team. He did it so HE could keep playing football.

I hope the college has the integrity to ban him from playing.

lvpets2002
10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
:o It makes you have to wonder what else would he have cut off for the sport of football.. Now I am thinking his plans are to go into Pro Football.. He sure is going to be disappointed if they reject him for his lack of all five fingers.. Pro rules are diff from college rules..

RICHARD
10-15-2008, 12:23 PM
CW,

Thanks for seeing a side of 'stupid men' that many women do not acknowledge. It is 'just' college football and for many young men it will be the last time that they will play any kind of organized sports. It is a dumb ritual part of being a man...:)