PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite smell? ...

carole
10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I was reading through Medusa's thread about her being a bad girl, when i thought of this thread, what are your favourite smells, for me it has to be Popcorn at the movies, i also love the smell of coffee, although i never drink it. I also love the smell of any perfume with a musk in it, and at the moment I love the smell of my red door perfume.

So what is it you love the smell of?

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Roses, gardenias, steak cooking on the grill, pies or cookies or breads baking in the oven, spray from the ocean, fresh cut grass

Suki Wingy
10-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I have actually thought about this, because in Harry Potter there is a potion called Amortencia that makes you smell your three favorite smells, so it smells different to every person. Did I say 'smell' enough in that sentence?

Anyway, my favorite smell is oiled leather, as in a nicely broken in saddle and bridle.

Taz_Zoee
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I also love the smell of coffee and do not drink it. In fact, last night I was in the coffee isle at the grocery store and coffee was on the list for Bruce. Well, he was off looking for something else so I just stood in the coffee isle and waited. I was very happy!!
I love the smell of fresh vanilla too.

Husky_mom
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
where do I start....hmmm...

I love men perfumes...not all but some ;)
pizza!!
nicely aged cheese (I always smell cheese when I go buy it so I know itīll taste delicious :p)
coffee too (donīt drink unless itīs chilled and with caramel)
babies headīs (they have this powdery smell)
a few other I canīt recall right now...but a very very important one is....

PUPPY BREATH!!!....;)

binka_nugget
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
My absolute favorite smell is a perfume called Pink Sugar by Aquolina. It smells like candy.. it smells so yummy!

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I love men perfumes...not all but some ;)

OH YES!!!
Lagerfeld - that one brings back a lot of memories! - and I'll say no more! :D
Cool Water - refreshing

caseysmom
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Fresh air...I love fresh air coming in the house at night. Vanilla, coffee...the ocean...the forest...eternity for men....any kind of bread baking...

Casper
10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Oddly enough, I love the smell of gasoline. And for the record, I have never been an arsonist. :-D

kuhio98
10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I love the smell of fresh-baked bread.

My favorite is the smell after a rainstorm on a hot, dusty day. Don't know how to describe it.

cassiesmom
10-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Coffee brewing...
Stargazer lilies...
Freshly cut grass.

Daisy and Delilah
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
~Coffee
~Pine
~Cloves
~Patchouli
~Fresh herbs(Rosemary is probably my favorite herb and number one favorite smell-it energizes me).
~Mountain Air

Hellow
10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Coffee
The Ocean
Cinnamon
Old Spice :D

carole
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Hmm coffee seems to be a popular one, funny someone mentioned gasoline, my daughter loves it too, it worried me a bit lol.

A few of you mentioned vanilla, it is one smell i cannot bear, although i quite like it in cooking, but not for perfumes or any other thing.

I love the smell of my azalea bush, it is rather strong when in flower, but it is a sweet smell, oh another i like is candy floss.:)

angelbow20
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I love the smell of coconut, vanilla, fresh air, snow and the brisk cold weather, camp fires, puppy breath, fresh grass and leaves in the fall, coffee, clean babies (baby powder and lavendar), Lilac bushes, fresh baked cookies, I have so many perfumes men and womens to list also. tommy boy for men and armoni (spelling) YUM! and I could go on and on..

Suki Wingy
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
That's funny because I can't stand the smell of flowers/plants, coffee, or any perfume that I've ever smelled.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
My favorite smells are cats (yes, I'm a cat huffer! :p) campfires, fresh air, and "Very Sexy" men's cologne from Victoria's Secret. I'm a sucker for a good smelling guy, lol.

Twisterdog
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Coconut, pineapple, vanilla, patchouli, freshly cut grass, the ocean, baby powder, puppy breath, rain, musk, Obsession for men.

Also, my odd-ball favorite .... drilling mud. For those of you not employed in the energy extraction fields, drilling mud is a very heavy substance that is used in oil or gas drilling wells. I love the smell of it, because my dad was a drilling foreman, and was away working on the rigs a lot when I was a kid. I LOVED it when daddy came home! And he always came in the door smelling like drilling mud. That smell always takes me back to childhood, and reminds me how much I miss and love my dad.

Taz_Zoee
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I like the smell of gasoline too. But I was :o to say it. LOL
The vanilla I like is what you cook with. Bruce's mom got me some pure vanilla once while she was on vacation (and I can't remember where), it was the BEST smell ever!!! And of course it's all gone. :(

shais_mom
10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Lilacs
and puppy breath! :D
Fresh air at night!

Felicia's Mom
10-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Freshly cut grass
rubbing alcohol
lilacs
leather

jennielynn1970
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Freshly baled hay.
Fresh cut grass.
Firewood or chimney smells in winter.

I remember having this "thing" for the exhaust of my one boyfriend's jeep when I was younger. It was just the way his CJ and he smelled. Kinda like the gas thing, lol.

Love fresh baked yeast bread smells.
Certain men's colognes.

Karen
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Many baked goods - the smell of cookies, bread or apples with cinnamon while baking ...

Lilacs, though I cannot inhale too deeply, as I'll sneeze ...

The air after a thunderstorm ...

Ocean air ...

The smell of fall leaves and the hint of woodsmoke in the air ...

(Just a hint, any stronger than that and I wheeze.) No perfumes, as I am allergic to 99% of them - One I remember specifically, a guy friend once had been given a sample vial and wore Drakkar Noir when a group of us went out to dinner, and I ended up wheezing so badly I could not eat ... The smell of gasoline gives me a splitting headache, and I have strong allergic reactions to most cleaning products, and anything with ammonia.

Emeraldgreen
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Chimney smoke, especially the sweet smell that some wood burns. Not sure what kind of wood that is but every now and then I smell it.

Mulchy leaves in fall.

The ocean.

Orange blossoms.

Chamomile tea.

Lilacs.

AdoreMyDogs
10-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I absolutely love the smell of old books, the really old ones at the library or at the used book shops. It's kind of musty but not like any other musty smell I've ever smelled. First thing I do when I crack open an old book is sniff it :)

Another weird one is the smell of horses. I LOVE the smell of horses. When I've been petting them, I always wash my hands, but I prefer not to use a perfumy soap so that I can smell the horse smell on my hands for a while, til it wears off. No other animal smells like a horse and I can't get enough of it.

I also love the smell of lilacs, coffee (but hate the taste), and I love the smell of beer (but also hate the taste). Lots of other smells I like, but those are probablly the most uncommon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Nobody mentioned it yet: I love the smell of cat-feet!!

and then also: coffee, an apllecake in the oven, muscles

Pam
10-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Fresh air...I love fresh air coming in the house at night. Vanilla, coffee...the ocean...the forest...eternity for men....any kind of bread baking...

You named all of my favorites except for two. I used to hang sheets out on the line to dry and when I would go out to bring them in I would bury my nose in them for a quick sniff (so the neighbors couldn't see me :p ). I also love the smell of Thanksgiving, whether it is here or at a relative's house. It is the only time of year that turkey smells fill the house. YUM!

Husky_mom
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I also love the smell of wet dirt... the smell you get whe itīs about to rain...

I love paint smell and shoe polish :p

Oddly enough, I love the smell of gasoline. And for the record, I have never been an arsonist. :-D

LOL... and you think you are weird... just read my odd one...;)

I kinda like skunk smell.... yeah you read right... :p:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I'll have to agree with everyone else and say lilacs in addition to my previous post... those are by far my FAVORITE flowers in the summer. =]

And you gotta admit, that "baby" smell is also really nice... lol I'm hoping you moms out there know what I mean!

Daisy and Delilah
10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
:(:(:(
We don't have lilacs here. :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-15-2008, 12:25 PM
:(:(:(
We don't have lilacs here. :(

That really sucks! They are my FAVORITE! You've smelled and seen them before, haven't you?

carole
10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Do cat's feet really have a smell, i have never really noticed before, lol, ironic i started this thread because for a few months now i have almost lost my sense of smell, due to allergy's,sinus, every now and then i will get a whiff of something, but at the moment i cannot smell a thing, it is no fun at all, good for the bad smells, but i miss the nice ones, can't even smell my perfume anymore.

I also love the smell of roasted nuts, and chocolate.,and i LOVE the taste even better.

JuniorxMyxLove
10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Anyway, my favorite smell is oiled leather, as in a nicely broken in saddle and bridle.

ditto XD

I just love horsey smells in general. I could sit in my barns tack room all day, hahaha.

RICHARD
10-15-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't know if they make it anymore

Cashmere Bouquet, White Shoulders perfume.

Jasmine on hot nights during the summer. Fresh salsa -tomato and tomatillo, HAND MADE TORTILLAS!

The scent of a woman wearing light perfume-any flavor!- that walks by me.
Pert shampoo. LOL, I have a friend who's hair always smells delicious.

ROSES! Has anyone noticed that store bought roses have no smell....they really suck.

Clay used to make bricks.

Campfires and bacon and eggs. Weird, bacon and eggs can make me gag when I am stuck inside a house, but in the open they really rock.

Coriander, oysters and grass.

anna_66
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I love the smell of pumpkin in any shape or form.
I also :love: the smell of Hypnotic Poision. The best perfume ever!

Queen of Poop
10-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Love the smell of:
Cali and Diego
Sasha
Chance, oh that puppy smell
Loved the smell of my ferrets
Coffee, before water is added, after that it is totally ruined
Tea
Cinnamon
Pumpkin pie
Freshly dug dirt in the garden
Tomato plants
Red wine
That's all I can think of right now.

Daisy and Delilah
10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Tomato Plants--YES!! I love the smell of the tomato leaves.

Geraniums of all types. I used to not like the smell of the common geranium but now I love it.

Jergen's Hand Lotion-the original.

Rachel
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Freshly washed clothes/sheets.....lilacs.....the air after a storm....leather.....and PUPPY BREATH.

caseysmom
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I forgot bacon cooking while camping...that is right up there as one of my top smells...along with coffee brewing.

carole
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
just slightly off topic, but do any of your cats love the smell of fabric softener, i put this in my clothes and all my cats love it, it is like catnip to them, I have even caught Ash pulling my towels off the line, at first i thought it was the wind, until i caught him at it, lol, they all simply love it, i don't dare leave a basket full of washing lying around, otherwise i will have to re-wash it all,just curious anyone else have kitties who are crazy about the smell?

momoffuzzyfaces
10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Lilacs are my very favorite scent. Not that icky lavender but fresh from the bush lilacs.

Also love the smell of bread baking. Well, most any baked goods baking that is. :D

Alysser
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Coffee grounds, the smell of shoe stores and Vanilla. :) I also like the smell of gas sometimes lol. Yes, I'm weird. I never got why people think flowers smell good, YUCK, they smell horrible to me or do not smell like anything at all. I also like the smell of some book pages, they smell pretty good to me, I don't know why but its only some pages, and OH fried chicken!!

ramanth
10-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Mint. Especially chocolate mint candy. I can sit and sniff the empty wrapper for hours. :o :D

K9soul
10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
There are so many scents I enjoy, but the few that came to mind right away were:

- The air outside when it rains, especially in spring.
- Lavender, leaves and flowerbuds, Russian sage has a similar scent to me
- Book pages
- Pine/cedar/woodsy smells

Just took a fall walk with the dogs last weekend and entered an area with a lot of pine trees, there were tons of pinecones and damp pine needles on the ground, it smelled so wonderful.

beeniesmom
10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Anything baking in the oven....
Ragu slowly cooking on the stove....
My doggies, even when they are dirty...
My hubby. :)

wolf_Q
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
The smell of any food I like baking....especially cookies. :D Or the smell of food cooking when you walk into a restaurant, mmm.
My dogs, especially right after a bath, I love the smell of their fur, I like frito feet too ;)
Mountain air...wildflowers...pine trees...rain...leaves...sagebrush...basically any "outdoors" smell
Campfires

As for actual perfumes I rarely wear any, if I do its a light body spray, I don't like strong perfumes (on me, it doesn't bother me if others have it on)...I tend to like ones that smell like vanilla or fruit.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Good thread!

I love the smells of lilacs, lavender, and jasmine.
Food baking in the oven, like cookies or pies or cakes or pizza!! :love:
Crisp mountain air
Rain
The air right after a fresh snow

molucass
10-16-2008, 06:00 PM
My favorite smell is Cinnamon.. I LOVE cinnamon candles, or incense etc.

My room smells just like a huge cinnamon candle.. I usually either have a candle burning, or I have some sort of air freshener that I spray in there.

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 02:28 AM
One of my neighbors was just smoking a cigar outside. It smelled wonderful as it wafted in here (not so much when they smoke cigarettes...blech).

carole
10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I remember years ago when i was a smoker, (dare i say it) my workmate used to smoke a pipe , i loved the aroma of his tobacco, mind you i know i would hate it now, cannot stand the smell of any smoke.

I love the smell of raisin toast cooking, actually any toast cooking is nice,and i love my husbands after shave,it is not expensive, just black suede by Avon, he kisses and hugs me goodbye in the mornings and i can still smell it on my clothes, hmm i love it. lol:):D

Karen
10-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Oh dear. This reminds me that when I smell pipe smoke, part of my brain says "that smells good," and the rest of my brain says, "No, it does not. You're thinking it smells good because it reminds you of Uncle Jake. But Uncle Jake's wife died of lung cancer, and he died of a stroke not long afterwards, and if weren't for the fact that they both were smokers, maybe they would still be here today."

We miss you Uncle Jake and Aunt Dotty!

K9karen
10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Logan's feet (yummy Fritos)
A baby after a bath (I'm a neck nuzzler)
Lily of the Valley and honeysuckle (childhood memories)
gasoline (yay! I'm not alone!)
Turkey cooking on Thanksgiving (can't wait!)
Clothes hung outside to dry
Touch perfume ( NOT made any more, of course :rolleyes:)

Marigold2
10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Lemon, lime jello, dill, mango, watermelon, tangerines, hay, the smell of my cat

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Clothes hung outside to dry

I love that smell too! Living at home, growing up, smelling the fresh bedsheets, blankets and towels. Ahhh! Of course I had to toss the towels in the dryer to get them less crispy from the air, lol. I hate rough towels.

My mom asked me why I didn't want to dry my sheets and towels outside where I live now. I don't think I'll ever want to sniff a sheet or towel and say "MMMMMM... EXHAUST!" :p ;)