PDA

View Full Version : Lost in translation?

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Primary pupils sing cannabis song

Parents are fuming after education chiefs introduced a school music book that included a traditional Spanish song about smoking cannabis.

La Cucaracha - popular in the Mexican civil war - is about a cockroach that can't walk because of all the marijuana it has smoked.

But a scandal has broken out in Bosnia and Herzegovina after a new educational book distributed to primary schools gave a full translation of the lyrics.

Parents have demanded the Federal Ministry of Education, which approved the book by Refik Hodzic, recall it immediately and have slammed the decision to send it out to schools as "ridiculous".

Mum Sanya Bolic, 38, from Sarajevo, whose nine year-old son told her about the book, said: "I could not believe it when I found out about this.

"The last thing I want my son learning about in primary school is drugs. Whoever made the ridiculous decision to put this book in schools must have been out of their head themselves."

-----------------

Like, have you ever seen a cockroach try to light a match?

That is an old Mexican silly song.that I heard when I was a kid. You probably have heard it in the movies as the car horn on a lowrider style car.

I just can't believe that no one caught it before they taught the song to the kids.:rolleyes::eek:

DJFyrewolf36
10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
:D I had a comment but it got lost somewhere...:D

jennielynn1970
10-16-2008, 12:00 AM
It's about a pot smoking cockroach?? wow.... that's kinda funny.

With the history of the song, isn't really a folk song? That's what I'd call it. Pot or no pot.

blue
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
مرض جنون الحصول على أكثر من وعاء التدخين صرصور مثل الحصول على المسلمين منزعجة من لحم الخنزير المقدد.

jennielynn1970
10-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Is there a reason you have a period at the beginning of the sentence, or did you purposely write it in reverse, or the wrong way??

jennielynn1970
10-16-2008, 02:47 AM
http://www.firdaous.com/en/0023.htm

Karen
10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Isn't it amazing how much more connected the world has become? Think about it:

1. A Mexican folk song is in a schoolbook in Bosnia Herzegovnia

2. The lyrics are actually translated for the kids to understand

3. We, in American, can read about parents' outrage!

caseysmom
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Is there a reason you have a period at the beginning of the sentence, or did you purposely write it in reverse, or the wrong way??

Thats the redneck version.

Catty1
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Gosh, back in Grade 4 we were told what "Cockroach" (la Cucaracha) was a slang word for in Mexico. No one cared. It was a fun song!

The end of the chorus, loosely translated, is how the little critter can't find any Mary Jane to smoke.

Maybe they should write a couple of extra verses about Cucaracha going into rehab, and that would make everyone happy? :D

RICHARD
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Gosh, back in Grade 4 we were told what "Cockroach" (la Cucaracha) was a slang word for in Mexico. No one cared. It was a fun song!

The end of the chorus, loosely translated, is how the little critter can't find any Mary Jane to smoke.

Resulting in a paralysis somehow connected to it's shoice of tobacco.;)

Karen, You are right-That was my initial read on the story.

That kids in BH were learning a Mex song....Smaller world we live in!:D

blue
10-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Blame google language tools.

jennielynn1970
10-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Blame google language tools.

No. You are the one who posted it, so take responsibility for it. If you want to be a smart ass, at least do it correctly.

غَبِيّ

blue
10-17-2008, 12:12 AM
No. You are the one who posted it, so take responsibility for it. If you want to be a smart ass, at least do it correctly.

غَبِيّ

No, google can take responsibility for it, and you, can take that insult and shove it...Im not the one post stalking around here trying to look smarter then people I dont agree with.

Lady's Human
10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
This may be the Dog House, but play nice.

DJFyrewolf36
10-17-2008, 12:49 AM

Indeed :D Now people can be offended at the speed of light ;)

I personally think people need to chill out a little...stress isn't good for people.

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 01:20 AM
No, google can take responsibility for it, and you, can take that insult and shove it...Im not the one post stalking around here trying to look smarter then people I dont agree with.

Ugh. Oh please.

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 01:25 AM

I thought that the fact it was in Bosnia was a really interesting fact. I know we push multicultural learning and tolerance in our schools, I wonder how much it's done in other countries now?

I'm sure there are some schools here that wouldn't be too happy that their kids were learning a song about a pot smoking cockroach either, but it's still funny to think about.

I know they do folksongs here, and my one friend teaches elementary music and does that as part of her curriculum. She said folksongs are a way to learn about customs and traditions, and so many of today's children don't know the history of the USA. I also loved doing that in library. We'd read John Henry, and then listen to some of the folk songs as well.

jennielynn1970
10-17-2008, 01:37 AM
This may be the Dog House, but play nice.

Sorry... I was trying to find the word "ignorant" but it didn't translate, lol. That was the closest I could get. It was initially supposed to be a comment about his Arab being written backwards, not the person, but when I couldn't get what I wanted translated, I took the closest I got. Oops.

Sorry Blue.

blue
10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Clean up on Isle 5.