PDA

View Full Version : Advice for catching Gary...failed

Moesha
10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Gary, the stray/feral kitty that has been hanging around for several months finally has an appointment tomorrow morning to be fixed. We're not taking him to our vet but are using a low cost program in the next town west of here. He has to be there at 7:30 in the morning. My mom is going to drop him off when she takes my dad to the airport. She'll have to leave here around 6:30. He has to be in a carrier not a humane trap. He has gotten where he'll rub up against your legs when you go out to feed them. You can even touch his back while he is eating. (A far cry from when he ran away if you looked at him.) If we try to touch him when he isn't eating, he has squatted at us. So how do I go about grabbing him and putting him in a carrier. He eats on the deck in the back with a sliding glass door. I've thought about putting the carrier inside the house and positioning the food bowl in front of it. Then while he is eating I would sneak up and grab him and toss him in the carrier. I'll have to be sure that I'm well protected because I sure he'll get scared. Should I try to do this tonight and leave him in the carrier all night? Should I do it tomorrow and take a chance on something going wrong and not being able to get him? Advice please! :)

Anikaca77
10-14-2008, 09:06 AM
When I would trap cats I would set out the trap at night and catch them and keep them in a cage in my bathroom.

But if you don't have separate cage, I'd say the cat carrier would be fine. Sometimes when they get so excited I put a towel around the cat carrier so they can't see out and that tends to calm them down right away.

If you can get Gary without using a humane trap I'd suggest doing it but wearing a long sleeve sweatshirt and maybe some gloves incase he trys to claw you.

Good luck and I hope you get him before his appointment.

Melissa

kuhio98
10-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd try to catch him tonight when he's calm and eating.

Kitties have been known to teleport themselves to an alternate universe when they know they are going to the vet. :p Somehow they pick up on these things............

Also, when we neutered a stray, the vet advised to keep him in a quiet room for the weekend until he recovered. So, we put Seymour in the bathroom. He flew out of there and thru the barely open window in about 15 seconds! It took a while for him to trust us again, but he eventually came back around and did just fine.

catmandu
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I WOULD TRY HUMAN FOOD LIKE SOME TUNA FISH, OR A DELI CHICKEN.:cool:

THAT IS HOW I CAUGHT SCRAPPY 2 :love:THE SENSATIONAL, TUBSTER :)PANTHER AND MANY POOFED CATS LIKE ELLY MAE CHRISTINE, POUNCER KARINA , AND SCOUT.:love::love:

WE OF COURSE ARE SENDING OUR PET ANGELS :love::love:TO HELP LURE GARY IN,
AND WE ARE PRAYING THAT YOU CAN GET GARY IN SAFELY.
MAY OUR GOOD LORD BLESS YOU FOR HELPING THAT HOMELESS ONE.
:love::love::love:

mruffruff
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I've always caught them in a humane trap at night and transferred them to a carrier in the morning. I do the transfer in the smallest possible room--closet or bathroom--in case they try to escape.

Good luck!

Emeraldgreen
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I think your idea of trying to get him to eat the food inside is good. Maybe you could start with some food outside the door and then put some more closer to the door and then just inside the door and then inside and then inside the cage maybe. But if you think that is too long for him to spend in there, if the cage is small, maybe you could carry the cage into the bathroom as others have suggested and let him sleep in there tonight. And hopefully you can get him in the cage tomorrow morning without getting too scratched up.

Hope it all works out. :)

p.s. is there anyone you can borrow a large crate from? That way you could have litter box inside the cage and once you get him in there tonight, you could just leave him in there.

StarandBratsmom
10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I have personally used to live traps, putting food in it. We used to be apart of this Alley Cats organization, the members chose neighborhood, and we'd feed, and care for the homeless cats. We had to also catch them so we could get them fixed, to help with the population of feral cats. We used the live traps, at night time, after they've been caught, by morning they have calmed down a little.

AbbyMom
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
p.s. is there anyone you can borrow a large crate from? That way you could have litter box inside the cage and once you get him in there tonight, you could just leave him in there.

Recently I nabbed a friendly feral using a portable dog kennel and placing his favorite food inside. He wasn't happy when I shut the door behind him. ;)

He returned in the kennel and we kept him there over night like Emeraldgreen suggests and let him loose in the morning. We used a kitten litter box inside the kennel.

Good luck!

Moesha
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I've had the humane trap out there, not set of course, for several weeks. That just isn't going to work. Gary is a kitty with definite habits and will only eat from one place. I also have Juliet and Jose out there at the same time and there's no way to make sure neither of them go in the trap instead of Gary. I tried bringing them inside to start with and luring him in. That was a DISASTER! My pet carrier is large. It is for a medium sized dog because Morgan won't fit in anything smaller. He'd have plenty of room and I would cover it with a sheet or towel to help him be calmer. I don't see him being able to be inside anywhere. Once he gets in the carrier, he is going to have to stay there. I think I'll wait to feed them as late as I can and then put him in there tonight. I'm not sure what the organization that is fixing him is called. I know there was a number at the library for vouchers to be used at the local vet's office. When we called they were out of money for that program and gave this other number to us. I'm not sure if they will give him shots or not. If they don't, I'm going to have my mom stop at our vet's office on her way home and have them vaccinate him. I have no idea how this is going to work out. Gary is definitely a wild cat. I'll be sure to post an update if and when I can capture him. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Moesha
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
It didn't work. I grabbed him and had him in the carrier but my sister couldn't get the door shut quick enough and out he went. Now he's scared to death and so are Julie and Jose. Gary is just sitting in the wooded area sulking. I have the humane trap set just incase.

ETA: I just looked out and I almost had Juliet trapped. She was half way in. I didn't want her in there so I went out there and had her get out before it was set.

Medusa
10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh drat, that quick little bugger! We'll keep prayers going that you catch him easily and are able to keep him confined til the big moment.

Emeraldgreen
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Is there anyway you could re-lure him into your house? If you could just get him in the door and close it behind him, then you'd have the rest of the night to try and catch him inside your house. But I know he is scared now and probably doesn't want much to do with you or the house. But maybe he would go after a moving rope. His predator drive might kick in and he might go after it like a moving snake through the grass. If you drag it behind you slowly from where he is and walk towards your house and then into your house, maybe he'd run after it. Then you could shut the door and then go from there. I can imagine that it would be tough to wrangle him once he's inside the house but at least you could approach it slowly and maybe with treats, you could then get him close to the carrier and then push him into it?
I think it would take a miracle but PT prayers are strong, so it might just happen!

Moesha
10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
He hasn't come back on the porch if he sees anyone inside. Even Juliet and Jose won't come over to me at the moment. I thought he might be around tonight for some more food, but there was no sign of him. We called to let the people know to cancel the appointment for him. I guess I'll just try to catch him sometime and then bring him in to my vet. They'll take him anytime I can get him. The place that I was taking him would have been close to 100 miles round trip so I wouldn't really be saving much having to spend gas to drive him there and then pick him up the next day. Oh well. This is so hard.

Moesha
10-15-2008, 07:07 AM
He was laying in the far corner of the deck this morning. When he heard me getting the food he ran over to the door like usual and was rubbing up against Juliet. Jose wasn't there, so I called him. As soon as I opened my mouth Gary got jumpy and ran toward the steps. It will take time to get him back to where he was, but it will happen! I just won't be able to make a specific appointment to have him fixed.

catmandu
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
A DELI CHICKEN NEVER FAILED ME AS YET, AND I REALLY THINK THAT THAT MIGHT BE JUST THE THING TO GET GARY IN.
I WILL NEVER FORGET THROWING THE CHICKEN IN AND SCRAPPY 2:love::love:THE SENSATIONAL :cool: RACING IN AFTER IT!!!!!:D:)