PDA

View Full Version : Who mows your lawn?

Pam
10-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Since becoming part-time at work I have starting mowing the lawn. Hubby still does the edging and trimming but I find the mowing to be a good way for me to get some exercise into my day. The mower is self-propelled :rolleyes: but of course I have to do the walking! LOL! I actually have come to enjoy it and take great pride in my finished work. How about you? Who mows at your house?

sirrahbed
10-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Hubby usually mows because he has a little lawn tractor;) I mow some of the time but don't like the tractor and think the push mower cut looks nicer. I am the chief detailer though!! I do the edging and sidewalk detail. Sometimes I get carried away and do the neighbor's yard too:D

Sirrahsim
10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
We live in privatized base housing so they are responsible for mowing our front yard and all public areas. We only have to mow our fenced in backyard.

K9soul
10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I can't convince the dogs to do it so I'm the one stuck with mowing duties :p. I don't enjoy it when it's hot, I don't mind it as much when it's cooler. I do always enjoy looking at the end result.

sirrahbed
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
The end result!:D Yes that is the best part!! I enjoy looking at a manicured and healthy lawn - and enjoy the detailing part best of all. Which reminds me - weeding is overdue and since WoW realm is down - I had better get outside and do the edging, trimming and general weeding. Hubby is already out on his tractor;)

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
LOL,
The dogs have killed most of it, otherwise, we all take turns.

Marigold2
10-14-2008, 08:33 AM
That would be me, good exercise. Takes about 2 1/2 hours. I also weed, mulch, prune, plant, fertilize, and plan the making of new beds. I love it. Gardening is my hobby.

shepgirl
10-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Hubby loves the lawn tractor so he does it. I used to mow it when I got the chance, loved the tractor too.

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I used to, but not any more. Since there is 2 acres all in grass, it was hop on the riding mower and cut, and work on a tan at the same time. :) Now that I'm retired, my son has retired me from that job too. :p My DIL has taken over my job and my son does the rest with the weed wacker.

We tried to interest Sherbie in the job, but he had other ideas as you can see!!!

kuhio98
10-14-2008, 09:22 AM
I love mowing the lawn but Bobcat does it most of the time.

Not a big issue since the yard is covered in snow at least 6 months out of the year. :rolleyes:

prechrswife
10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
My husband does. Mowing aggravates my allergies, so he gets that job. Occasionally, a local guy we know who has a lawn service stops by and cuts ours for free, especially if he has had another job in the area and is waiting to pick up his daughter from the bus stop.

Craftlady
10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
A lawnserve does our backyard. Very steep and in middle of summer it's to hot for me to do even though there is a hugh tree for shade (no breeze).
I do the side/front of the house.

Taz_Zoee
10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
That would be Bruce's job. I don't touch the lawn and he doesn't touch the laundry. :) Works out great!

shais_mom
10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Since I live by myself I do my own yard. I have a small riding lawn mower that does it. I too like the look of my yard when I push mow it but pushmowing the whole yard really aggravates my foot.
When I was off last year with my foot my mom came over and did it - that was alright except the first time she did it right after I broke my foot she didn't turn sharp enough and ran up into my flower bed and almost hit the house. The neighbor had to come help her push it off. But if you know my mother you know it is just a Nancy-ism.
:) ;)

caseysmom
10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Our HOA takes care of the front and we have no grass in the back its all pool and trampline.

jazzcat
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
For years I did all the mowing until last year when I suffered a back and leg injury. This year hubby and I split it 50/50. I wish we had a riding mower but our yard isn't that big. I'm better now so I'm sure next year it will be all me.

k9krazee
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
My brother mows the lawn. The deal is he has to pay $200 a month for rent. Every time he mows the lawn (once a week) he gets paid $50. The idea is that if he keeps the lawn mowed weekly he doesn't have to pay to live at the house.

My dad is chief detailer, and my mom is in charge of the gardens.

mruffruff
10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I've been the only one tall enough to push the mower for the past 20 years. Since I bought an electric mower, I really don't mind. Starts quick, runs smooth and quietly, done in an hour and a half for front and back.

lizbud
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Bob cuts my grass.:) I answered a add in the local area paper about
5 yrs ago from a retired guy who wanted summer grass cutting jobs. It's
worked out great. He's a nice guy & does a great job.:)

AllAmericanPUP
10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
My oldest brother actually mows all 3 lawns...his and my parents two..because all 3 houses basically make a triangle....My parents new house and his are next to each other and across the street is their "old" house that they'll be remodeling.

He volunteered to mow all 3 each week on tuesday because he has a riding lawn mower.

Before i moved back home a few months ago I had my own place in Kewanee,IL and my lovely landlord offered to mow my lawn because he too has a riding lawn mower

pitc9
10-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I pick up the poo and mow the lawn, I also take care of the flowers beds and lay down the mulch in the spring.

My hubby uses the weed eater.

I think I got a bad deal! :o

davidpizzica
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I do! After helping to cut the biggest lawn around here (called a golf course!), I have to come home and cut my own grass, thank goodness for small lawns!

blue
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
There was no choice for nobody.

chocolatepuppy
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Hubby does most of it, but I do help sometimes. We have a push mower and quite a bit to mow, good exercise.;)

boomersooner
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
When I was a kid, I always wanted to mow, but our dad wouldn't let us....now that I'm grown, and I could mow.....don't want to!!!! My hubby does it all outside.....

Twisterdog
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
DH usually mows. One would think with two teenage boys, that they would be doing it. But generally, hubby just decides the whining, weaping, wailing and nashing of teeth isn't worth it, and does it himself.

I mow if I have to, but I don't really dig it.

Uabassoon
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
What's a lawn? We don't have those in Tucson :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Since we've moved into our new house (2000), we have a huge lawn. So we bought a little tractor mower too. Mowing is now my son Jo's job :)

Pam
10-15-2008, 05:39 AM
WOW! Lots of PTers are mowing their own lawns! Who said we are all *computer couch potatoes!" LOL!

critter crazy
10-15-2008, 05:59 AM
I am the queen of our riding mower. LOL! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
10-15-2008, 07:10 AM
I mow while my husband takes care of Nathan. I get some time to myself to listen to music while I mow on the riding mower and my husband gets some quality time with Nathan. My husband does the trimming though. I hate trimming and after 4 hours of mowing in the Florida sun I'm too exhausted to trim.

Rachel
10-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I have a hard enough time trying to keep up the inside of the house, hence I am very, very appreciative of my husband assuming the chore of mowing. I've deduced that he enjoys doing it because he will mow even when I don't think that it needs mowing.

4 Dog Mother
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Carl does most of the mowing because no one does it to his standards. Sometimes if he is really busy and I am in a good mood I will mow it. When he was in Florida, I mowed it all the time. I am a big flower gardener/pond person so I do everything else in the yard. Plant flowers, weed, mulch, clean pond pumps, etc. I love being outside - all though as I grow older I am finding the heat and especially high humidity harder to tolerate. If left alone, I could be out all day and not mind one bit. I don't mind the mowing just the criticisms of Mr. Perfect.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
My dad does all the mowing, and edging.:)

Edwina's Secretary
10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Until a few years ago my parents lived on a small 8 acre farm. My mother was the one who mowed the grass. She would have a dog or two riding with her and it took the better part of a day! She loved it.

Cataholic
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
I have asked the cats to do it, but, no one had taken my up on the offer. My yard is so small that I can cut the front and back in about 15 minutes. I could probably do it faster if I didn't have to jump away from the mower every time I see a snake, then restart the thing again. :eek:

Jonah has taken to 'helping' me the last few times. Ever try to push a mower with a child standing between the handle and the first bar that goes across it for stability? I have to be so careful not to jerk as I turn as he gets thrown into the side of the mower, I can't use the self propelled function when he is there, and I can't stand as close to the mower as I would like. Thanks, kid! :D

anna_66
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
We used to both do it, but now that he has a new zero radius mower, he does it all the time:D

Karen
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Paul does it unless his ankle is unable to bear any weight at all - I have only mowed our lawn maybe twice in all the years we have lived here. If you took all our grassy areas and combined it into one flat, simple area, it would be a whole lot easier, but as we live on a hill, our yard has its own challenges to mow. I do the leaf-blowing and vac'ing - less chance of someone or something getting hurt with those devices!