PDA

View Full Version : I've been a bad girl

Medusa
10-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Usually I bypass the bakery in my grocery store but it's becoming increasingly difficult at this time of year because I love all the baked goods, it seems. Pumpkin roll w/cream cheese, pecan tarts, pumpkin bread, cranberry bread and my favorite, raisin bread w/walnuts and drizzled w/white icing. I bought a loaf of the latter, couldn't wait to get home and pop a slice in the toaster and slather it w/butter. Jeez Louise, was it ever good! But now I've had my fix and I have a whole loaf of this stuff. Anyone want to come over for some warm iced raisin and walnut bread and some hazelnut coffee?

pomtzu
10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Bad girl Mary!!!

Boy -does that sound good. Wish I could make it there - I'd even bring a pumpkin roll as a hostess gift!!! And after we finished that we could go pick up the cranberry bread for dessert! :D

caseysmom
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds worth the flight...I'll be right there:D

phesina
10-13-2008, 05:57 PM
OOOOOHH! I'm on my way!

Karen
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
The good thing about bread products is that they freeze VERY well. Stick half the loaf in the freezer, and you'll have some on hand for the next time the craving hits! :)

4 Dog Mother
10-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Where in Ohio do you live? I think I can be there pretty quickly! I love raisin bread with walnuts -umm, I can smell and taste it now. I will pass on the coffee though - just not a coffee drinker.

carole
10-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Mary don't ya just get sick of being a good girl all the time , i am glad someone else has been a bad girl like me, i could not resist buying a packet of ice creams on special this week and last week, streets mango and passion splices, the good news is they are only 3grms of fat and compared to a magnum of 12, i think that isn't too bad, ooh and i love the kinda of bread you are talking about YUMMY.:):D

AllAmericanPUP
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
haha same here! gotta love all the baked goods!

Medusa
10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Where in Ohio do you live? I think I can be there pretty quickly! I love raisin bread with walnuts -umm, I can smell and taste it now. I will pass on the coffee though - just not a coffee drinker.

I live in Canal Fulton, equidistant to Akron and Canton. I'm not much of a coffee drinker either but I do have a cup of hazelnut in the morning. Then it's your choice: tea, herbal tea, hot chocolate, you name it.

Cincy'sMom
10-13-2008, 08:57 PM

I'll pick you up on the way! :D

jennielynn1970
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Working at the grocery store kills me on a Saturday and Sunday morning! The bakery smells out of this world, and I'm practically drooling at the register, lol.

I need to buy a toaster oven again, as I have no toaster or toaster oven at the moment (just put bread in the oven and hit broil, lol).

I did succumb and buy Pumpkin Icecream about a week ago. Had 1/2 cup out of it, and got so overwhelmed by the spices in it, it almost made me sick. Mom and dad came down and brought a cooler with them and took it home, lol!

K9karen
10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Betcha it's all gone now! No WAY can you eat one slice!
Oh wait! I'm talking about ME! :p:rolleyes:
I can smell the bread toasting from here! YUM!

jennielynn1970
10-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Anyone want to come over for some warm iced raisin and walnut bread and some hazelnut coffee?

OH! Make bread pudding!!! I just thought of that! I normally buy the egg twist rolls or challah to make bread pudding, but you could use the raisin and walnut bread and toss in some plain bread so it's not too sweet. That would be so yummy!!!

Medusa
10-14-2008, 07:13 AM
OH! Make bread pudding!!! I just thought of that! I normally buy the egg twist rolls or challah to make bread pudding, but you could use the raisin and walnut bread and toss in some plain bread so it's not too sweet. That would be so yummy!!!

Y'know, bread pudding is one of those recipes that I've never been able to master. My ex-husband loves the stuff and his mom really made it right. He gave me credit for trying but I just could never get it. Either it would taste delicious but the texture was all wrong or the texture would be just right and it wouldn't taste good.

sirrahbed
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Ok Medusa - your bad girl has spread to me, too:D I am craving a pan of warm pumpkin coffee loaf/bread/cake with lots of raisins and nuts. Oh and icing drizzled on top. I don't have any such recipe but am going to "invent" it this afternoon!!! Unless someone actually HAS such a recipe?? I think it should be spicy, nutty, moist .......and maybe with a crumble topping - just a bit of creamy icing drizzled on top!! Will reprt back later:D

Marigold2
10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Dang, :(:( I have to go to work in little while, but I will be thinking about those goodies. Enjoy Mary, life is short.
Eat cake.

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
DUDE!

I have to break out the bread maker soon......I am not a real sweet eater when it comes to rolls and donuts but warm breads really rock.

I like the cinnamon rolls with out the icing.......NUTELLA ROCKS on any sweet warm bread.:D

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Everyone here is bad for talking about all these yummy things. It's that time of year when I enjoy baking again - and I love to do the breads and put them in the freezer to enjoy year round! I especially like to do pumpkin, banana nut, date nut, cranberry nut, zucchini, mincemeat (even if you don't like mincemeat-you'll love the bread), gingerbread, and of course carrot cake (tho I hate carrots I love the cake).
I'm hungry!!!!!

Medusa
10-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Everyone here is bad for talking about all these yummy things. It's that time of year when I enjoy baking again - and I love to do the breads and put them in the freezer to enjoy year round! I especially like to do pumpkin, banana nut, date nut, cranberry nut, zucchini, mincemeat (even if you don't like mincemeat-you'll love the bread), gingerbread, and of course carrot cake (tho I hate carrots I love the cake).
I'm hungry!!!!!

Ellie, if you lived closer to me, I'd be stopping by just to see if you needed anything. (Yeah, right! LOL) I'm not a baker. It's too precise for me. Cooking? Now that I love to do. I can screw it up, throw in a few ingredients and make it right again. If I mess up baking, I can't fix it. Do you have a gas or electric oven? The few times that I did attempt baking something fairly simple such as brownies, if I baked it in an electric oven, it came out pretty good. I have a gas oven now and I'm finding that even pot roasts don't turn out as well as in an electric stove and my baked goods are baked "bads".

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Do you have a gas or electric oven? I have a gas oven now and I'm finding that even pot roasts don't turn out as well as in an electric stove and my baked goods are baked "bads".

I have electric and I love it - and yes - I think it makes a difference too. Years ago I had gas, but I find that cooking on electric (range top and oven both) is a lot better.
And I really don't like cooking all that much, and don't do a lot any more except for the big holiday meals. I used to cook a big meal every night after coming home from work when the kids and husband were still here, but then it was just me for quite a while and I got away from it. Now that I'm with my son and his family, my DIL cooks most of the time during the week and I just do Sunday dinner and holidays. Works for me!!! :)
And I do like to bake, but only in the cooler weather, that's why I'm starting to think about doing some breads. Maybe I'll pick up some pumpkin and zucchini tomorrow when I go out - if I can wait that long!!! :D

BTW: The crock pot and I have a very good relationship when it comes to cooking! lol

jennielynn1970
10-15-2008, 02:18 AM
I have a gas stove/oven, and it took me a while to get used to after electric, but I love it.

When I make bread pudding, I don't use a recipe. I just throw stuff together. What makes a big difference, I think, is the way it's baked. I always put the casserole dish I'm using in a large pot of water so that it steams the entire time. I cover the top with foil until the last 10 minutes. That way it gets brown on top and has some crunch.

I always mix up about 1/2 qt. of whole milk, 2 eggs, some sugar, vanilla (never use the fake stuff). I toss in raisins or dried cranberries after I have the rolls/bread all mixed in with the milk mixture. Put casserole dish in oven proof pot that has water to come 2/3 of the way up the sides of the casserole dish, cover with tin foil, and bake.

Daisy and Delilah
10-15-2008, 12:26 PM
This time of the year it's pumpkin and spice everything. Who can resist that? I always have to visit Publix for their Pumpkin Rugalach-Yummy!!!

Don't worry Mary. Your behavior is completely normal and acceptable.:)