PDA

View Full Version : An update on my life, if you are interested

sasvermont
10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I finally landed a job. It took months. I didn't have many offers at all. I was surprised at first, but then took a look at the average age of the staff I was interviewing with..... I am much older now. I am 60 and there aren't that many places hiring older people. I know I usually hired people who fit in to the same age bracket as was currently staffed.

I am working as an assistant manager at a Sally Beauty Supply store in South Burlington VT. It is fun and I love my manager. I don't want her job. I want to be just where I am....and of course, it means a huge drop in my income. I am going to have to cut corners and then some. Oh well. I have too many pairs of shoes etc. so it won't be difficult. I have already made many adjustments including changing my car insurance so that I am not foolishly giving away premium money on a soon to be 10 year old car. etc. etc. etc.

Once I am there three months, I will be put on their health insurance. I am paying 100% each month now, so that will be a plus. Since they are such a big company, I will able to enroll in their 401K etc. Assuming all works out, I hope to stay there for a few years.

The adjustments will be many. I take directions easily, but the work itself, is rather boring. I wanted boring. I want to be busy, but not worried. I want to come home without homework and things to worry about.....and they are paying me accordingly.

So, the new job thing is important and going to get me through these next few holidays, by keeping me busy, busy, busy. I am on the 12 noon to 8 PM shift right now. It works for me. It gives me time to play in the morning and then have lunch and go to work. I have been eating dinner after coming home.

I have had part time jobs all summer, but not amount to much income. The savings were dwindling....and with the economy the way it is...it was time to bring in some income!

So don't worry about me for awhile. I will survive. I may end up eating peanut butter and jelly from time to time, but that won't kill me.

The cats will miss having me around so much. They will adjust.

I am outside right now, on the porch, watching Lucy the black barn cat, cruise the neighborhood, looking for chippies. She's never gotten over her once in a life time capture of one really slow and stupid chipper a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for listening.

Sas and her campers

moosmom
10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Sallyanne,

I'm so happy you finally found something. I know how difficult it is to find a job as we get older. Sorry I didn't call you last night. I was in bed at 7 pm!!! I haven't been feeling too good.

I'll call you either tonight (depending on when I get back from my Dimitri transport) or tomorrow night when you get home from work.

(((((((HUGS)))))))))

Donna

Catty1
10-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Good news! Once you are in a job, I have found, it is easier to network and hear about other possibilities, even without trying (if that is what you are looking for).

Enjoy the boredom...when I think of your descriptions of your last big job, it must be a relief!

Congrats!

Ginger's Mom
10-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Glad to hear that you found a job that is only 40 hours a week (you don't need to take any baggage home with you), and pays the bills even if you do have to pare back. Working with people you like can make all the difference in the world as to how long you stay and how well it works out. I am glad to hear you like your manager. Good luck in the new job.

Medusa
10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
There's something to be said for boring, especially after the drama of your last job. Half a loaf is better than none and perhaps down the road you may change your mind and decide that you want to try your hand at something else but for now, enjoy the calm and the feel of cash in hand. Kudos to you! :)

Killearn Kitties
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm so pleased to hear that you have something permanent. Boring and less pay has got to be better than not working in this climate. I hope it goes well for you.

Karen
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like a worthwhile change. And you'll even be able to save a bit on heating costs because you won't need the house to be human-warm-enough while you are at work!

Pam
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I have wondered how you were doing but didn't want to start asking in case you were going through a bad time (what could be worse, though, than what you went through before at your last place of employment :rolleyes: ). I am so glad that you found this job. With a name like Sally Beauty Supply it more than suits you. haha! Seriously, there is one less than five miles from me, so it is a well known store in these parts. Hey, at 60 we are entitled to slow down a little, aren't we? Money is not everything as I am sure you have found out by now. I am working part-time now and I make very little money but I feel that, at this stage in my life, I will maybe live a year or two longer due to less stress. :) I am so happy that you updated us and let us in on your life happenings. You have a forever fan here in NJ who is rooting for you no matter where life takes you!

Randi
10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Sallyanne, I'm so glad you found a job that you enjoy and don't get stressed from. :) You'll soon get used to a slower life, and even though it's less money, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I just started in a new job myself and I really like it! I may post about it soon - when I'm less tired. Not that it's a hard job, I just have to get used to getting up early. ;)

Bengalz
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Sallyanne I am really happy for you for many reasons: you are happy to do what you do and willing to adjust for your own self preservation - that says a lot about the person you are and I admire that. At 60 years of age, you may not be any younger but you are certainly wiser;)

I hope this decision relieves some of the pressure you've had to deal with in the last while and that you can relax some and enjoy life, instead of worrying about it.

Give those darling little campers a big hug:love:

Vermontcat
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm happy to hear that you found a new job that isn't as stressful as your old one was.
I'm sure it will be nice to have some extra money coming in again too.:)

Cataholic
10-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear you have found a job. Look at the bright side, you will be looking even MORE mighty fine with all those products! :)

lizbud
10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Sallyanne, I'm so glad you found a job that you enjoy and don't get stressed from. :) You'll soon get used to a slower life, and even though it's less money, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Agreed.:) I'm so glad to hear that you are keeping busy, but with no stress.

Edwina's Secretary
10-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Sallyanne...so good to hear you have started on the next chapter in your life. Someone explained to me we have chapters to our careers. I hope this is a great chapter. And you never know. Cream rises and you may find yourself less stressed but not necessarily bored and..... rewarded!

sasvermont
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Boy, my dogs (feet) are really feeling it these days. I don't sit down at all during the normal day at the store. I hope I will begin to drop the several pounds I picked up while resting on my laurels for several months.

I have been coming home each night with NOTHING on my mind! Just the way I like it.

Once I get the lay of the land, I will let everyone know how to give yourself a highlighting etc. etc. etc. I cannot believe the products this store has. By the way, it is the world's largest beauty supplier. I never knew that. I have lots to learn about the business. I can tell you that it is very labor intensive to say the least. Lots of man hours to maintain a little store. If I see one more bottle of nail polish I'm gonna hurl.

I love it.

:rolleyes:

Lillycat
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I know it is a big relief......and I can see it is less stressful already for you.....although you do have a lot to learn about the store.....you will do great .....I have made up my mind no more stressful, take-home kind of jobs for me.....I have been there, done that.....a peaceful mind upon arriving home is worth so much for the soul....

shais_mom
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm glad its working out for you!
I love Sally's! You can always find something you can't find other places.
I have been getting my hair color there for about a year.

jennielynn1970
10-13-2008, 10:52 PM
So glad you found something you like! Sounds like the way I feel at the grocery store vs. school. I'm not in charge at the store, I just go in, do the cashier thing, and go home.

My mom and I were talking about careers, as I have been trying to figure out why I'm so down about school, and her one friend said she likes a change in jobs about every 5-7yrs. I was thinking about it, and teaching is the 1st job that I've actually stayed in for this long.. 11 years. It feels like forever.

About your feet... mine felt horrible the first few weeks. My butt too, lol. I was like, wow, I have muscles that I didn't know I wasn't really using. I've been wearing my sneakers with my orthotics in them now, and my feet are thanking me. Maybe you need something like that too??

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy doing what you're doing! Sally's Beauty Supply is an awesome store, we have a bunch of them here. Got the best flatiron ever there too!