View Full Version : Economic downturn poses threat to mental health: WHO

Catty1
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Get help if you want it, friends.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/10/10/mental-health-economy.html

Economic downturn poses threat to mental health: WHO
Last Updated: Friday, October 10, 2008 | 3:07 PM ET

CBC News

The added stress of a global economic downturn could lead to a rise in mental health problems, the World Health Organization said Friday.

As some Americans struggle to cope with having their houses repossessed, the market meltdown could deepen despair, the United Nations agency said.

'There is a clear evidence that suicide is linked to financial disasters.'— Benedetto Saraceno

"We should not be surprised or underestimate the turbulence and likely consequences of the current financial crisis," WHO director general Margaret Chan told a meeting of mental health experts in Geneva.

"As it is, we are seeing a huge gap in taking care of people in great need."

People living in low- and middle-income countries where many people with mental disorders receive no treatment or care are at particular risk, the agency said in marking World Mental Health Day.
Mental, neurological and substance abuse disorders

Governments worldwide need to make mental health a vital part of primary health care to get mental health services to the tens of millions in need, the agency urged.

"It should not come as a surprise that we continue to see more stresses, suicides and mental disorders," Chan warned.

"There is a clear evidence that suicide is linked to financial disasters," agreed Benedetto Saraceno, director of WHO's mental health and substance abuse department, noting suicide is a condition that is preventable.

"I am not talking about the millionaire jumping out of the window but about poor people."

The WHO's mental health Gap Action Programme aims to increase care such as psychosocial assistance and medications for mental, neurological and substance abuse disorders.

In the majority of countries, less than two per cent of health funds are spent on mental health, the agency said.

Mental health disorders such as depression affect one in four people at some point in their life, Saraceno said in a release.

People with mental health disorders are stigmatized, neglected and abused, but their human rights should be protected and they should not be denied opportunities to contribute to social and economic life, he added.
With files from Reuters

smokey the elder
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Mental health issues are so tough because getting diagnosed is difficult. Also, once you get diagnosed it's a crapshoot whether the treatment regimen will work. People shouldn't be afraid to ask for help, but, unfortunately even in the 21st century there's such a stigma attached to mental illness. I think it's because there's no "lab test" for it that says yes or no.

Catty1
10-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree. But let's hope we can keep an eye on each other and reach out to someone - or that if we are suffering, we can reach out to friends and family, and lean on each other.

shepgirl
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Mental health issues are so tough because getting diagnosed is difficult. Also, once you get diagnosed it's a crapshoot whether the treatment regimen will work. People shouldn't be afraid to ask for help, but, unfortunately even in the 21st century there's such a stigma attached to mental illness. I think it's because there's no "lab test" for it that says yes or no.

There is a "lab test" for mental disorders. A simple blood test reveals some of the most common brain chemistry problems. Many doctors, for some reason seem to forego sending patients for blood test before prescribing meds, that's why it's so hard to fall on the right one.

Catty1
10-13-2008, 12:24 PM
shepgirl, you (and blue and Puckstop) have been on my ignore list for a while, but I can view individual posts to see what is said.

Never have I read such an ignorant piece of trash as you have written. I have had many excellent physicians and professionals over the years. 30 years ago, I was sent for one blood test for a brain chemical. I never got another one as it was soon discovered that such tests were completely inaccurate. There are studies underway that may provide this in the future, but they are not there yet.

SPECT scans can show the activity of the brain, and are what have proven that certain brains with ADD or etc are "wired" completely differently than that of non-ill brains.

Give me one example of a blood test detecting brain chemistry, and back up your statements this time. If you can.

September 1, 2008, The Psychiatric Times
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/1286581

Some believe
that blood test kits that are capable of such diagnostic discrimination could be available in as few as 5 years.
This is for bipolar disorder only.

March 1st, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7262424.stm

There are currently no objective clinical laboratory blood tests for mood disorders. Instead, doctors must largely rely on their own judgement to assess a patient's state of mind.

I have yet to see a shred of compassion in anything you have posted, anything at all. Is there anything or anyone you care about and love? Can your friends lean on you in the upcoming crisis?

I wouldn't.

CathyBogart
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you Catty1, you beat me to it. I've been trying to find the right treatment for my bipolar disorder for awhile, and even though I' really just starting out, it's frustrating and upsetting and very discouraging.

JenBKR
10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Catty is right, there are currently no lab tests to check for mental disorders. It would be wonderful if they could do that, though.

Thank you Catty1, you beat me to it. I've been trying to find the right treatment for my bipolar disorder for awhile, and even though I' really just starting out, it's frustrating and upsetting and very discouraging.

((((hugs)))) I understand what you are going though. I don't have bipolar but I do have depression, and it can be very frustrating to find the right treatment. It took me a while to fine the medication that would work best with me, but it was so worth it in the end. Just hang in there, and PM me if you ever need to talk.