PDA

View Full Version : Airedale Terriers

finn's mom
10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
This is more than likely the breed that David and I will add to our family when we're ready for another dog. I've been reading a ton about them and an Airedale sounds like a good fit for us. :D He had an Airedale mix as a child and really loved her. I've only ever met one or two, but the more I read, the more I like. :) It'll be awhile, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any stories to relate, either personal experiences or things you've read, heard or seen. :)

Karen
10-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Hee hee - make sure you train them when they are young, as they grow up to be big strong dogs! And enthusiasm is just part of the package as well! :)

finn's mom
10-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Hee hee - make sure you train them when they are young, as they grow up to be big strong dogs! And enthusiasm is just part of the package as well! :)

;) That's a recurring theme in all the information I've gathered. They sound exuberant, which we both enjoy. :) And, with Finn, we've already had a taste of that. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-12-2008, 02:37 AM
As you may remember, we had Abby for seven years. She was an Airedale, and I must say, I love Airedales! She was the biggest sweetheart, and I just love the look of terriers in general. Can be stubborn, but overall, they are great dogs. =]

finn's mom
10-12-2008, 07:48 AM
As you may remember, we had Abby for seven years. She was an Airedale, and I must say, I love Airedales! She was the biggest sweetheart, and I just love the look of terriers in general. Can be stubborn, but overall, they are great dogs. =]

I definitely remember Abby, but I guess I didn't remember that she was an Airedale. :o I've been around enough terriers to know how stubborn they are! :eek: I fully plan to have to work hard with a puppy to establish early on "who's boss." That's with any puppy, but I've heard it's even more so with certain breeds, and most terriers. :D

moosmom
10-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I grew up with Airedales and they are AWESOME dogs!!! Great with kids. Good choice!

Taz_Zoee
10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine had an Airedale and she was a great dog! Every time I saw her she was very well mannered and such a beautiful dog. :)

cassiesmom
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
My mom and dad's next-door neighbors had an Airedale terrier, Sam. He had bundles of energy! In winter, they would let him out into the fenced back yard and he would just run, romp and play in the snow. He was a total honey.

Rachel
10-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I've been owned by an Airedale. Her name was Candy and we had her for three years. I made many mistakes in raising her but the foremost one was that I didn't provide her with enough exercise. She definitely needed the off the leash kind, not just a walk on a leash. I took her to obedience training and we were kind of the entertainment for the group. Even though she did well at home when we practiced, the distraction in the group was of more interest to her. Smart as a whip but little to no desire to please me. She was extremely difficult to house train. We lived in a second floor apartment and she would pee on the last step before I could open the door to go out. She was very distructive when left alone. At the time I couldn't comprehend that leaving her in a crate was the thing to do.

On the plus side, she was definitely the most fun dog I've ever had, loving to catch balls, sitting, standing, and any which way you could vary the game. The Airedale needs regular professional grooming, but NO shedding....a big plus. They are strong, strong dogs. My arms used to ache in trying to control her.

If anyone could provide the right kind of stimulation, training, and environment for an Airedale, you are that person. Even though my own failure in being what Candy needed causes me upset to this day, 30 years later, I love this breed and melt when I see one. With knowledge, commitment, sufficient energy and time, an Airedale would make a perfect pet. Individual dogs are different, but I wouldn't expect the kind of loving devotion you get from a lab.

finn's mom
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
If anyone could provide the right kind of stimulation, training, and environment for an Airedale, you are that person. Individual dogs are different, but I wouldn't expect the kind of loving devotion you get from a lab.

:D Thank you for the information. Yeah, I'm not expecting a lab. Although there are certain traits in Airedales that are similar to what I love about Finn. So, we'll just have to see. We are fully expecting to have a bundle of energy when we do get one, and we already have one dog that walks do nothing for. There are only a few things that tire Finn out. :) Again, it's all talk right now, but it's more serious talk than we've ever had about any other breed. You know I'll let you guys know if and when we add another pet to the family. :D

wolf_Q
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
The Airedale needs regular professional grooming, but NO shedding....a big plus. They are strong, strong dogs. My arms used to ache in trying to control her.

Maybe different "lines" of airedales vary with the coat types...because the majority of the airedales I've groomed have shed, quite a bit actually. There's one that comes in every 2-3 months and gobs of hair come out of her coat when she's getting bathed/dried. Some seem to have a coat more like a schnauzer which doesn't shed but there's a few with thick curly coats that shed the undercoat.

I agree on the strong, my experience grooming them is that they are very strong, and also strong-willed. Most have been very stubborn and I've yet to see an airedale that didn't protest at least somewhat at having their feet and legs groomed. They aren't "mean" though, just obstinate, they seem to be very friendly with everyone. I think you would do fine with an airedale, you know how to train and how to handle a high energy dog. :)

CathyBogart
10-12-2008, 08:56 PM
My old boss had an Airedale, and from her I got the COMPLETELY wrong impression about the breed. LoL. From day one, she was cool as a cucumber....endlessly laid-back and calm, even as a puppy. My boss worried that she was sick, she was so mellow. But no, she was simply the weirdest Airedale ever born. Always obedient, never got into any mischief, the _perfect_ dog.

It wasn't until I met some more typical Airedales that I realized what an exception that little gal was. :)

luvofallhorses
10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
We've had two aierdale terriers where I work. they are really cool looking and like big stuffed animals. :love: I think our Rudy is an airedale mix. he has that crazy hair. :) they are for sure energetic dogs but so cool! :D

4 Dog Mother
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
We have an Airedale named Jack. He is about 10 1/2 years old now. We got him when he was five and have had him 5 1/2 years. He can definitely be very stubborn and ABSOLUTELY hates having his legs and feet shaved or trimmed or brushed. He is the biggest baby about his toenails and will turn and snap at you but not bite -sometimes his mouth goes around my arm but he has never clamped down and really bit. (But then again, a few months ago he had 12 teeth pulled so he doesn't have much to bite down with). He loves to dig but a lot of the time it is so he can lay in the cooler dirt.

When we first got him, he played with the other dogs some - mostly Snoopy but now that he is older he doesn't play anymore. He gets real excited if he thinks he is going for a walk or in the car and hops around like crazy. We found out not too long ago that he has a cancerous tumor on his kidney and he has really slowed down now - sleeps alot.

No one is a stranger to Jack. He will go up to anyone and rub against them so they will pet him. He loves to have his ears rubbed and will rub against you until you rub them for him. He used to chase balls all the time - never got tired but now he might go after one ball. Sometimes he would just carry a tennis ball around in his mouth.

When I first mentioned to Carl that I wanted to go look at Jack, he was not happy. He thought an Airedale was a fru-fru dog because of their trimming. When the people brought us Jack, he rubbed against Carl right away and Carl was sold - Jack was filthy, stunk, and I might have refused to take him but there was no way Carl was leaving him. Jack is his dog now and he says we will always have an airedale. Now I think we need to downsize the number of dogs we have so after Jack dies I think it may be awhile before we get another one. And I don't think we will get a puppy - I think we will look for another rescue one. Most people don't research the breed and as puppies they are very exuberant and love to chew and dig. And then as the dogs get older they get tired of them and give them up.

We no longer take Jack for his trims. As I said he hates the brushing and it seems silly to pay a lot for a trim, have him come home pouting for a day or two and then fight you every time you brush him. So I trim him now and it is not an airdale cut. Just short so he is comfortable. As for shedding, a lot of hair comes out of Jack but usually just when you brush him. The rest just hangs there making him look kind of messy. He seems to be need to be bathed more often than the other dogs - his hair tends to get greasy after a couple of weeks.

As long as you are up to training a hyper pup who loves to chew and dig, an airedale is a great choice of dog. I am so glad that we have Jack.

moosmom
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
4DogMother,

Oh, I miss Jack!!! I remember looking forward to our meetings in Ohio. Give that big lug and hug and kiss from me!!

Donna

4 Dog Mother
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I most certainly will - he loves his hugs!

finn's mom
10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I am so glad that we have Jack.

Thank you for your description and your thoughts. I'm glad Jack has you. :love: