PDA

View Full Version : Harboring a fugitive

columbine
10-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I've only seen him/her three times, and very briefly - small, black, and skittish, a youngster. But all three times were near my house, and one time sie ran up the front steps, and when I followed, jumped off. The porch is hollow underneath, quite dark and secluded...

I set out a little dish of food and a little dish of water, behind a big planter where nobody would see, but up on the porch where it wouldn't at least be immediately found by skunk, possum, or coon. It was empty by morning.

I went to the local shelter, which is only open to the public on Thursday, and they said that they can loan me a trap and just come get Little No-Name once sie's caught. But that was 2 days ago, and though I left a note and have emailed a couple times, it seems that the trap may be harder to catch than the kitten... Still, if sie can keep out from under car wheels for a few more days, I think Little No-Name may end up a companion. I'll keep serving up breakfast and supper. I'm starting to think if hir as Hetty (for Harriet Tubman) or Gordon (for Drinking Gourd) but that's just because I'm fascinated by the Underground Railroad. Actual naming will be for the new human. I can't foster because I don't want Smudge A) catching anything, or B) getting attached. So the little drifter will have to drift elsewhere. I can't be Canada, but I can be a safehouse.

DJFyrewolf36
10-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Prayers that you can trap the little one and give him/her a great furrever home! Bless you for caring for this little lost soul :D

Medusa
10-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Aw, little fugitives really tug at the heartstrings. Good luck in your attempts to catch him/her and find a permanent home.

rg_girlca
10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Keeping fingers and paws crossed here that you are able to capture the widdle kitty before the cold weather sets in.

Good luck.

catmandu
10-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT LITTLE FUGATIVES AS POUNCER ROCCALNO:love: WHO ESCAPED HIS HOUSE LAST JUNE IS STILL OUT THERE SOMEWHERE, ALTHOUGH I THINK SHE HAS A HOUSE AS SHE CERTAINLY LOOKS AS THOUGH SHE HAS NOT MISSED A MEAL.
AND THEN THERES EBONY TUBSTER:D , SCRAPPITO THE B/W TUXEDO:) AND TABBYSTAR A NEW COMER.:cool:
THERES ALWAYS FOOD AND IF THINGS GET TOO COLD OR WET , JENN LIBRARAIAN WEATHERPROOF CABIN, AND THE SHELTER WITH BEDS AND BLANKIES UNDER THE BACK PORCH WITH FRESH FOOD AND WATER DAILY.
I CANT STAND NOWING THAT THERE ARE LITTLE HUNGREES OUT THERE EITHER :(:(:(

columbine
10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Still not a peep out of the shelter! I was starting to wonder whether the food I've been putting out was being eaten by squirrels - but guess who was sitting by the food dish when I got home? Sie jumped off the porch and sat on the fence when I came up the stairs, but then stayed there and let me talk, and when I came back with the food, after a while hopped up and ate with me standing right there talking (although on the other side of the fence).

Sie's a little shvartzer, all right, black from head to tail, and maybe 3 months old? I'm no good at that. But what a cutie! I hope the heck I can get this critterling to safety, but getting any help is proving to be harder than pulling chickens' teeth. If they continue to blow me off, I'll just call Animal Control, since the kitten's still young enough to be eminently adoptable. I was tempted to get the flashybox, but since I may very well be on my own in this endeavor, I didn't want to be spooking the little one. Sie's SO sweet...

Love, Columbine

columbine
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Caught the kitten! :love:
http://www.sunspotdesigns.com/c/pix/angel.jpg
If you'd like to help out the folks who are going to get this little angel tested, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and situated in a stable home, please take a moment to stop by Saint Meows (http://saintmeows.org/) no-kill shelter and ping them a few bucks - anything will help; they're even asking for recyclable cans and pennies these days.

DJFyrewolf36
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Good job! Glad you caught this wee one. I am so glad there are people out there willing to help out :D

Laura's Babies
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Look at those big beautiful eyes! What a pretty baby!!

catmandu
10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
SHES A DOLL:cool::cool:, AND WE HOPE THAT EITHER YOU CAN FIND HER A FURREVER HOME, OR MAKE HER PART OF YOUR FAMILY:love::love:
EITHER WAY LIKE BLACKIES FUTURE IS SO VERY MUCH BRIGHTER NOW THAT SOMEBODY LOVES:love::love: HER.:love::love::love::love:
TUBBY 2, TUBSTER PANTHER AND EBONY TUBSTER WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE THIER HERO!!!

Catty1
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Beautiful girl! She looks a little scared (who wouldn't?) but isn't fighting the cage or anything.

Is she going to have a home with you?;)

columbine
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Beautiful girl! She looks a little scared (who wouldn't?) but isn't fighting the cage or anything.

Is she going to have a home with you?;)I really wish! But I can barely afford to take proper care of Smudge, and he gets medicated food, and my apartment isn't set up such that I could feed them separately. The fellow who came and picked him/her up was really surprised that he/she didn't even try to bite or scratch him. I actually got a bit of a chin rub in just after Angel (just my ad hoc name in my own heart) went into the trap.

St. Meows has VERY strict rules and a steep fee (they charged me a surrender fee too!) for adoption, so people have to REALLY mean it, and have thought about it, and be able to take care of a kitty before they bring one home. So Angel's got as good a chance as anybody does.

But, yeah, I'm currently using an old fishtank pump to keep my blood circulating - the little vagrant turns out to have been something of a :love: thief as well...

Love, Columbine