PDA

View Full Version : Update on Cholesterol....

moosmom
10-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Went to the doctor today. I was telling him about my cholesterol. He told me that the medicine I take to sleep may be the culprit, since it messes with my lipids. He discontinued it and prescribed Lunesta. He told me to read food labels carefully for SATURATED FATS. Saturated fats are fats that turn solid at room temp and can clog the arteries. He had my cholesterol done back in January and the total was 199, but the LDL was high (not as high as it is now). At that time we upped the sleep medicine dose which would cause the lipids to elevate.

I've been doing all the right things and including taking 1600 mgs of fish oil a day. He said that's good.

Getting this weight off is a real pain in the butt. I weighed myself at Amy's last night (I cooked dinner) and I'm down only 1.4 lbs. But my clothes are a little loose so I could be losing body fat. My official weigh in is on Sunday so hopefully I've lost another 5 lbs overnight. LOL

Karen
10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
It is good you discussed the cholesterol with your doctor.

Isn't it annoying how easy it is to put on weight, but how hard it is to take it off?

Good luck with your weigh-in! It's the long-term that counts, anyway.

Catty1
10-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Donna, with the exercising you are losing FAT. The best measure of how you are doing is the change in your BMI. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat, so you likely have built a bit. It's the ratio of lean to fat tissue that counts. I would guess you are dong VERY well.:)

Check #10 here for formulas: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=146821

Also have a boo at this: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147049

In your last post, your bad cholesterol had come down...so I wonder why the doc put you on meds anyway?

Maybe the Lunesta will change things, and you won't need them. If you do, fine - but for me, the less toxic matter in my bod, the better. :):)

moosmom
10-11-2008, 01:51 PM
My GP put me on Crestor because my LDL was 246. Total cholesterol being 328. That's why he put me on Crestor.

My Nurse Practitioner who I went to see today for a med check is the one who told me about the previous cholesterol check.

Catty1
10-11-2008, 02:58 PM
k, cool. Did you check the links?:) (nag, nag, nag :p )

moosmom
10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Catty1,

No not yet. I just got home from work and it's late. I'll check them tomorrow.

Catty1
10-11-2008, 10:31 PM
k - have a good sleep! :)