PDA

View Full Version : A Bunch of Dumb Questions ??

kark711
10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Three weeks ago we adopted a beautiful female Egyptian Mau (four months old.) At the time we wondered if we should adopt two from the same litter instead of one but we got just the one. Now we have the opportunity to adopt her sister. The sister has been living in another household that did not dote on the kitty like we dote on ours. No toys, scratching post, etc. We hope that the lack of stimulation hasn't been 'imprinted' on her.

We are wondering if the two sisters will recognize each other, seeing as how they grew up together for the first four months. They have been apart for about three weeks. Will the transition be easier or no different? Will one become more alpha or is this not the case with females?

We've never had two cats. Will they keep to themselves or bond with the humans? Will both go to one human or will they each have their own human?

Also, our current Mau is a talker. We are hoping that having another Mau around will occupy her and maybe even quiet her down a bit. Will spaying help to mellow a female kitten? Hopefully we wouldn't end up with two demanding talkers.

We know a lot of the readers on this thread have multiple cat households and we're posting because we've always had just one. Any and all thoughts will be greatly aprreciated.

rg_girlca
10-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi and WELCOME to Pet Talk. :)

First off I just want to say that no question is a dumb question.

Secondly, congratulations on your new addition to your home. She sounds like a treasure.

Not knowing too much about the Egyptian Mau, I looked it up and came across this website for you to read about them, if you haven't done so yet;
http://www.dogandcatfacts.com/egyptian-maus.html

Personally, I feel that two cats are better than one. They keep each other company and most, not all, will bond nicely with each other. I think after being away from her sister for only 3 weeks won't be a problem. I'm sure they will realize in the long run, "Hey, I know you."

In regards to them bonding with one human or both, it's hard to say at this stage as each cat is individual. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get in regards to the character of a cat. You might have one that is a real lovebug and then other more standoffish.
I have 7 cats and each one has their own character. Most of them stay to themselves, where one loves to cuddle with whoever will allow it and another one sticks to me like glue.

Spaying or neutering your animal does make them a little more mellow, but don't do it just for that. Have them spayed to avoid any health issues.

If you read the website you will see that Maus are talkers. But this doesn't necessarily mean that yours will be all the time. I have 3 talkers in my group and they do it only when they want play time with you, to turn the tap on in the bathroom for a drink or to go outside on the balcony for some fresh air.

I hope I have helped you out in someway and looking forward to hearing more from you and of course we would all LOVE to see pictures of your furbabies.:D

jenluckenbach
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
[1]We hope that the lack of stimulation hasn't been 'imprinted' on her.
She is still young, I am sure she will remember how to play. ;)

[2]We are wondering if the two sisters will recognize each other? Possibly not, but they are both babies and should be happy for a playmate Will one become more alpha or is this not the case with females? Females can be very ALPHA, and no doubt one will dominate the other. But this is normal.

[3]We've never had two cats. Will they keep to themselves or bond with the humans? Will both go to one human or will they each have their own human?
Just depends on their individual personalities. The good part is that tey will always have each other for company/play.

[4]Also, our current Mau is a talker. We are hoping that having another Mau around will occupy her and maybe even quiet her down a bit. The E. Mau, as an oriental type breed, is usually talkative. And cats talk to their humans, not to each other. So, again, she may or may not be a talker, but she has a good chance at being chatty due to her breed.

[5]We know a lot of the readers on this thread have multiple cat households and we're posting because we've always had just one. Any and all thoughts will be greatly aprreciated.

I think you will be glad that you got the 2nd kitten. Makes life better for all.

jazzcat
10-11-2008, 01:38 PM
My first cat was an only cat for 10 years before I brought in #2 (I now have 7:eek:). Cats #4 &#5 were siblings kittens when we brought them in, as were #6 & #7. I can tell you from experience it was much better having two kittens together than one lonely one. They will do so much better having someone to play with. If I adopt any more kittens I will always try to get a pair for their sake and mine.

catmandu
10-11-2008, 03:23 PM
ITS HARD TO SAY HOW TWO SISTER CATS:love::) WILL DO WHEN IT COMES TO RECOGNITION. I THINK THEY MIGHT AS JOHN HANCOCK THE HANDSOME :DKNEW MIQUELITO THE LITTLE ORANGE LION :cool:AND POUNCIERGE THE PRICELESS :)FROM THE TIME TAHT THEY SPENT IN THE CATTERY BEFORE THEY CAME HERE.:D
AND TUBSTER PANTHER KNOWS SCRAPPY 2 THE SENSATIONAL FROM THIER TIME AS STRAYS!!:love:
I THINK THAT THEY WILL BOND TOGETHER QUITE WELL, IF THESES HISSING AND SPITTING AT FIRST, THEN THE RESIDENT CATS TRYING TO ESTABLISH HERSELF.
I THINK THAT EACH CAT MAY PREFER A DIFFERENT PERSON, WITH WITH LOVE AND ATTENTION THIS WILL WORK ITSELF OUT!!!
AT LEAST THAT WHAT WE HAVE FOUND AT THE FOUND PARADISE CAT HOTEL!!!:love::love:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/th_8f7fe787.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/?action=view&current=a76c575d.pbw)

momcat
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk! When it comes to expert advice about anything cat, you've come to the best possible source. With the possible exception of an excellent vet, this is the best place to come for answers and advice.

I'm owned by only one cat who definitely rules the house so I have no experience with multiple kitties. The thing to remember is that every kitty has their own unique personality and temperament. The only thing I can suggest is to let each kitty know how very much you love them and understand they both are individuals.

Wishing you and both kitties many years of love, happiness and companionship!!

Laura's Babies
10-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome to PT and congratulations on you new fur baby! You alreay have it from the experienced people so I am just welcoming you and also would love to see pictures of your babies.

Medusa
10-12-2008, 07:28 AM
[1]We hope that the lack of stimulation hasn't been 'imprinted' on her.
She is still young, I am sure she will remember how to play. ;)

[2]We are wondering if the two sisters will recognize each other? Possibly not, but they are both babies and should be happy for a playmate Will one become more alpha or is this not the case with females? Females can be very ALPHA, and no doubt one will dominate the other. But this is normal.

[3]We've never had two cats. Will they keep to themselves or bond with the humans? Will both go to one human or will they each have their own human?
Just depends on their individual personalities. The good part is that tey will always have each other for company/play.

[4]Also, our current Mau is a talker. We are hoping that having another Mau around will occupy her and maybe even quiet her down a bit. The E. Mau, as an oriental type breed, is usually talkative. And cats talk to their humans, not to each other. So, again, she may or may not be a talker, but she has a good chance at being chatty due to her breed.

[5]We know a lot of the readers on this thread have multiple cat households and we're posting because we've always had just one. Any and all thoughts will be greatly aprreciated.

I think you will be glad that you got the 2nd kitten. Makes life better for all.

I agree w/everything that Jen expressed very well except that I have, on occasion, seen my cats talk to each other, especially if they're bonded to one particular cat. For ex.: my Boo Bear and Pidgelet seem to be engaged in conversation sometimes. Oh and btw, welcome to Pet Talk! :)