PDA

View Full Version : Why you need three dogs!

chocolatepuppy
10-11-2008, 05:17 AM
I googled this after reading blue's thread about his 'third' dog. I have three but unfortunately Lacey can't get on the bed due to her knee surguries. Of course, it gets much colder in Alaska.;)

Three Dog Night
It will be a co~o~o~ld night tonight. The lows will be in the “three to four dog range” with the windsreaching up to one or more.

As reported in the Aleutian Islands

The Eskimo tribes of Alaska determine temperature based upon how many dogs they bring in to cuddle within order to stay warm throughout the night. The Eskimos cherished their dogs as much as they did each other. They pioneered the use of dog teams, as a means of motivation in some of the harshest and foulest winter weather. Keeping their dogs running (literally) in the wintertime was a necessity of life. So, if you really want to know how to take care of your dogs for the winter, then you take them to an Eskimo for a winter tune-up.
Tune-up your radio, and heed the “Call of the Wild” or domestic in our case.

Cincy'sMom
10-11-2008, 05:36 AM
After having furnace issues last November and the Febuary before that, we learned all about 3 dog nights!!! Cincy normally prefers the floor, but she was up there with us then! 3 dogs (all 60+) and 2 humans in a queen bed is a tight squeeze, but it kept us warm! Just don't get up to use the bathroom!!!

Ginger's Mom
10-11-2008, 07:24 AM
You know what is really funny is that I have had two American Eskimo dogs, and neither of my girls gave off much heat in bed. I now have a chihuahua, and let me tell you he gives off heat, lol.

Aspen and Misty
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe thats why Sitka entered my life right before I moved to Alaska? LOL. Thats a great story!

Ashley

king2005
10-11-2008, 12:52 PM
When I lived with dad we couldn't afford to keep the house all that warm. So my old dog use to sleep in my bed with me so we could both keep warm. YAY for big warm dogs lol

Taz_Zoee
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Last night when I got into bed I called for Zoee to come keep me warm. It was actually very cold (and still is!) last night. Cold for a Californian anyway. :p

But since I only have one dog I employ the services of my big not-so-fat (anymore) Taz and little Paizly Poo for the job. :D

chocolatepuppy
10-11-2008, 02:51 PM
But since I only have one dog I employ the services of my big not-so-fat (anymore) Taz and little Paizly Poo for the job. :D

Ha ha! That's ok, did I mention my cat Sassy is my 'hat' every night?:D

Cinder & Smoke
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I have had two American Eskimo dogs,
and neither of my girls gave off much heat in bed.

I now have a Chihuahua, and let me tell you, he gives off heat, lol.

The *Fluffier* they are, the better their insulation is - and the LESS heat
they give off or that you can feel in their fur!

My all-time *FLUFFIEST* was dear Bowser - the little Husky/Corgi/Shepherd
with the SUPER-Plush rug - double coated, to boot!
Bowz could be out for 20 minutes in a snow storm, and when he wandered inside
he looked like a miniature SNOW-man! The ONLY parts of him that were't caked in
a 1/4" of snow were the end of his nose, his eyes, and his feet!

Same storm would leave Cinder, the rather soft & plush (double) coated Shepherd,
with a mere dusting of snow, head to tail.

Smokey, the very short coated (but also double-coated) Heinz-57 kid, would be
getting 'chilled' and came in with a WET coat - he'd melted off everything
that fell on him.

MiniMutt (Heidi) probably won't be another "Snow Dawg" - Min Pins don't have a double coat, and for sure she's not got much "fluff" to hold in heat! :(

In the BigBed, Cinder is NOT an under-cover pooch - she gets too hot!
Her spot is draped over my feet/legs at the bottom of the bed -
keeping the blankie from escaping -
and holding the heat in. Sometimes I can't *wiggle* my toes, but they're warm! :rolleyes:

SmokeMutt has been my "inside dawg" since he arrived - he might be a little
"cool to the touch" when he first snuggles under the covers;
but in 5 minutes or less he stokes up his furnace and feels like a
big hot water bottle all night! :)

Heidi shows great promise of being a toasty lil auxillary heater!
She's let it be known that she's an INside the covers kid - and to save pain for
all involved, SHE climbs under the covers first (if she's not already there).

It's a rather compact sleeping arrangement - the Hoomin get about 1/3 of the bed; Smoke & Heidi are the insiders - Smoke heats my arms, chest & tummy;
Heidi warms my upper legs and Smoke's butt; Cinder anchors my feet or Heidi -
depending on how Cinder *flops* down.

What's *amazing* is everybody holds their positions all night (mostly).
I can (sometimes) sneek out for a poddy run and still have almost all of
my
space open when I get back.

We should be all *warm & toasty* this winter!

:D

Ginger's Mom
10-12-2008, 07:52 AM
The *Fluffier* they are, the better their insulation is - and the LESS heat
they give off or that you can feel in their fur!

My all-time *FLUFFIEST* was dear Bowser - the little Husky/Corgi/Shepherd
with the SUPER-Plush rug - double coated, to boot!
Bowz could be out for 20 minutes in a snow storm, and when he wandered inside
he looked like a miniature SNOW-man! The ONLY parts of him that were't caked in
a 1/4" of snow were the end of his nose, his eyes, and his feet!

Same storm would leave Cinder, the rather soft & plush (double) coated Shepherd,
with a mere dusting of snow, head to tail.

Smokey, the very short coated (but also double-coated) Heinz-57 kid, would be
getting 'chilled' and came in with a WET coat - he'd melted off everything
that fell on him.

MiniMutt (Heidi) probably won't be another "Snow Dawg" - Min Pins don't have a double coat, and for sure she's not got much "fluff" to hold in heat! :(

It's funny you should say that, Phred. I sort of assumed that it was their coat that was holding in the heat, and not sharing it with me. :( :D But I hadn't taken it the step further, that the little snowballs in her fur were from the same effect. I just assumed it was because her hair was long, but you are probably right, not only long but also double coated so holding in the heat from melting the snow. All I can say is if those Eskimos wanted to keep warm they should have adopted chihuahuas. :D

Cinder & Smoke
10-12-2008, 10:05 AM
All I can say is if those Eskimos wanted to keep warm,
they should have adopted Chihuahuas. :D

There migh be a problem with the Alaskan Chihuahua plan >>>

That being:
HOW do ya keep the lill buggers WARM till BedTime??

Tossing a few :eek: FROZEN Chis into bed won't help with raising the temp much! :p
Be like sleepin wiffa loose tray of Ice Cubes! :cool:

:D

Seravieve
10-13-2008, 09:52 PM
3 dogs (all 60+) and 2 humans in a queen bed is a tight squeeze, but it kept us warm! Just don't get up to use the bathroom!!!

LOL! We have three and a King sized bed and its STILL crowded! And very true about the bathroom statement. I'll get up sometimes and Bunny will have snuck into my warm spot, with her head on the pillow... She's also known as Sneak for a reason!