PDA

View Full Version : Is this a resonable price for a cement job?

M&M's Mommy
10-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know if $5000 is a reasonable price for the following cement job?

This price includes
labor
materials (cement + sand + gravel)
remove the old driveway that is all cracked and bumpy
remove a large patch of grasses & put cement on its place to extend the driveway
clean up all the debris.

This is for a long driveway (suitable for RV parking). After it's finished, we should be able to park 6 cars comfortably.

DJFyrewolf36
10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Cement is getting way more expensive I've noticed so given that you have materials and labor included I'd say you were getting a good deal. I wouldn't pay this much if the person whos doing the job isn't a licenced contractor though.

Freckles
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
What are the dimensions of the current driveway and the future driveway?
Suggest you get at least two or three bids.

M&M's Mommy
10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
The driveway is 48' long x 25' wide, then there are another area (right in front of the front door) that is 20' x 20'. Total area would be 1600 sqft.

The guys told me they're just starting out, that's why their price is so cheap. They're still trying to get their names known & build up customers.. They promise to do a good job, so that we will refer them to our friends & families..

Medusa
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Although you say they're just starting out, surely you're not their first customer. I'd ask for referrals and to see some of their work. I had estimates done for my driveway (sorry, I don't recall the dimensions) and they ranged from $3998 to $5000 to $7000. The man who estimated the job at $3998 was going to get the job because he gave me good references, I went to see some of his work and he eventually paved my neighbor's driveway and installed a patio and walkway for them, too. I was just about to sign on the dotted line when I needed surgery and my wonderful insurance co. wouldn't pay for it due to it being a preexisting condition. My point is that the least expensive one would've gotten the job due to his professionalism. The others quoted me a price and didn't even bother to talk to me. They came and did the estimate when I wasn't at home, even though I specifically told them I wanted to be there and to talk to them. So trust your instincts but also get references and look at some of their work, if possible.

smokey the elder
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Based on the data you've provided, this seems like a good price. I had a 1000 square foot asphalt driveway done 3 years ago and it cost $2400.

M&M's Mommy
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Although you say they're just starting out, surely you're not their first customer. I'd ask for referrals and to see some of their work. I had estimates done for my driveway (sorry, I don't recall the dimensions) and they ranged from $3998 to $5000 to $7000. The man who estimated the job at $3998 was going to get the job because he gave me good references, I went to see some of his work and he eventually paved my neighbor's driveway and installed a patio and walkway for them, too. I was just about to sign on the dotted line when I needed surgery and my wonderful insurance co. wouldn't pay for it due to it being a preexisting condition. My point is that the least expensive one would've gotten the job due to his professionalism. The others quoted me a price and didn't even bother to talk to me. They came and did the estimate when I wasn't at home, even though I specifically told them I wanted to be there and to talk to them. So trust your instincts but also get references and look at some of their work, if possible.

They just finished working on my neighbor's driveway. They saw my husband outside and came over to try to talk us into fixing our driveway, which happens to be the first item on our things-to-do-when-we-have-money list. We just didn't budget for it this year.. but since the offer is so good, we're seriously considering it. They told me if we dont' do it now (when they really need the work) and wait until next year, the price will be much higher!

I talked to my neighbor last night and he recommends them. He told me he was referred to them by his brother who was also happy with their work.

jennielynn1970
10-11-2008, 02:19 AM
They told me if we dont' do it now (when they really need the work) and wait until next year, the price will be much higher!

Nice way to pressure a customer. :rolleyes:

I'd bet if you got some other estimates, you might be able to get some other rates. I'd never go with the first one.

I'd also want someone who had more experience, but that's me. I know the only way to get experience is to get more jobs, but I guess I'd rather not be one of their firsts.

I had 5 different contractors look at my back yard area when I was interested in doing either hardscaping, landscaping or a deck. I went with a guy who actually gave me the best price, the best warranty (manufacturer had warranty on materials, he gave me a warranty on the labor of the same amount of years... 25yrs). I saw pics of the other work they had done, and even was invited to visit one of their work sites.

I'm extremely happy with my deck, and very happy that I had the amount of contractors look at it and give me prices and options.

Medusa
10-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Yes, telling you that if you wait, the price will go up next year is just a sales tactic. The same people came to give me estimates again this year and their prices were the same. Not trying to tell you what to do but I'd feel more comfortable w/at least 3 estimates. Hope you're not confused now. :)

M&M's Mommy
10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
We decided to let them do the work. $5000 is a HUGE amount of money, specially at this point in time.. but as long as we still earn salaries from our jobs, and that we're frugal in the way we live and hold off on our other project (building a planter), we'll be fine. It's a long term, one-time-only investment that will increase the value of our house - not like we want to sell it or anything - but it will greatly improve the outlook of our house. The old driveway is all cracked and bumpy and our frontyard was very poorly landscaped. After we finish, it should look much better.

I did have other estimates. One when we first bought our home last year, and one at the beginning of this year - both were a lot higher.

I did talk to my neighbor & get good words from them. so I am a bit more confident about making our most impulsive decision so far! I'm the type of person who always rather wanted to be safe than sorry, and who would normally do a thorough check on something before making any big decision. NOT this time! *sigh*. I'm crossing my fingers that I will not have to regret it!

king2005
10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
about 15+yrs ago they wanted 5000.00 for a 2 car driveway!!! My folks laughed & said no thanks. We don't mind gravel, considering my dad is the one who dug 5' into the earth, hauled it away & replaced it with good earth & gravel.. + hes the one how dug under the house to make a basement. We were the only house in the whole area with a full sized basement hehe

So I guess it all depends on what you want & care to pay for. Most of the neighbours got their driveways paved & then they had to tar it nearly every year to keep it all pretty. We had to do nothing the 20+yrs we lived there.

Russian Blue
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know if $5000 is a reasonable price for the following cement job?................
This is for a long driveway (suitable for RV parking). After it's finished, we should be able to park 6 cars comfortably.

The driveway is 48' long x 25' wide, then there are another area (right in front of the front door) that is 20' x 20'. Total area would be 1600 sqft.

The guys told me they're just starting out, that's why their price is so cheap. They're still trying to get their names known & build up customers.. They promise to do a good job, so that we will refer them to our friends & families..

Either that's a very cheap quote (as you said, they are just starting out), or you live in an area were contracting prices are much lower than where I live.

We just received quotes last month for laying a 12 x 16 concrete base for our workshop. Quotes ranged from $1500 - $2500!:eek: We ended up calling my step-father over and we did all the work for around $500. There is no way I'm going to spend up to $2500 for a workshop floor! Contractor prices here are crazy!

Get 3 or 4 quotes first. NEVER let a contractor pressure you into a deal, especially when you didn't ask them for a quote to begin with!