PDA

View Full Version : JoJo Might Be Getting a Siamese Sibling

elizabethann
10-09-2008, 01:04 PM
There was an ad on Craigslist re: 5 free Siamese kittens. I responded and there is 1 available. I am going to check it out after my dentist appointment. Hopefully, it will still be available. I had a Siamese cat when I was little, so I am familiar with the breed. Not sure if it will be a boy or a girl. I hope I get it! JoJo needs a sibling. I think she needs a fire lit under her bum bum. Fenway...well...he won't too happy that he has to share me with another pet. But he'll get over it. :D

Taz_Zoee
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Aww, I hope you get the kitten. And Fenway will adapt quickly I'm sure. I can't wait to see pictures, hopefully! :)

Husky_mom
10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
here i am adding to the hope... i would love to see the newbie...hope for good news later today ;)

Medusa
10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Meezers are so pretty. Be prepared for a chatterbox. LOL

momcat
10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
All fingers and paws are crossed, positive vibes are being sent for this little kitty to find herself in the purrfect furever hoime.....YOURS!

catmandu
10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I KNOW THAT HAVING MEEZERS AT THE FOUND CAT HOTEL WAS A MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION , THEY FIT RIGHT IN , AND ARE SO GREAT JUST TO LOOK AT!!!
THEY TRULY ARE LITTLE MASTERPIECES!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/220a5bae.jpg

Vermontcat
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I hope you get the new meezer!:D
I recently got two meezers myself and they are so much fun to have around the house.
You will have to post lots of photos if you do get him/her.

Moesha
10-09-2008, 11:11 PM
If they didn't have one left, check out Kt Luvs Kitties' thread about her new meezer kitten that is for adoption. ;)

elizabethann
10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Why are Siamese called meezers? Is that just a nickname?

I picked the kitten up. I picked out a girl. She is absolutely beautiful. She's like the super model of cats. I took a photo but haven't downloaded it yet. But I will.

She is scared to death. She spent most of the night under the bed, crying and shaking. I've named her Olivia (emphasis on the "O") O-livia. :D

I eventually got her to come closer to the edge of the bed frame, where I petted and played with her.

JoJo hates her and Fenway is not too sure. He keeps staring at her. She kind of looks like a ferret, so I'm hoping he doesn't think she's one. I'm kind of nervous.

I put her in bed with me last night and she fell asleep. Then JoJo tried to come into bed (she usually sleeps in my arms). But she couldn't, because Olivia was there. Well JoJo was pi$$ed. She hissed and howled and that got Olivia hissing & howling. Fenway, who was on the bed, said "what the heck? I'm out of here" and went into the living room.

The sad thing is, right now, she is behind the bookcase crying her eyes out. She won't come out. I feel so bad for her.

I had to leave for work, so I have a baby gate in the living room. Hopefully, JoJo will leave her alone. I have the baby gate held up by a chair. Last night, I had the baby gate just leaning and I heard crash! I thought Fenway knocked it over. But then I heard limping, and realized JoJo just knocked it over and she was on her way to see Olivia. Well, that didn't work out too good. They hissed & howled.

I feel bad for JoJo because I think she liked being an only cat.

Any suggestions on what I can do to try to get them to get along better?

kb2yjx
10-10-2008, 08:08 AM
In the book, " The New Natural Cat," Anitra Frazier STRONGLY suggests that we should let the cats work things out on their own. Only intervene if there is REAL fighting. One thing that she recommends, that is REALLY hard to do, it have nothing to do with the new cat, until she is accepted by the cats already in the house. Of course, feed the kitty, and make sure she is OK. And of she hides, let her. Who knows how she was treated in her other home??? We have brought MANY new cats/kittens into our house, and eventually, they work things out....GOOD LUCK!!! I think Oliva is a great name for your new baby! Is she eating and using the litter box?

Shelteez2
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
When we added a kitten to our household we didn't let him interact with our other cat for 2 weeks. By the time they got to interact with one another he was pretty confident in his surroundings and was able to deal with the stress of meeting new pets. Also we only let him meet one family member at a time.
I'm sure all will work out fine. There is always an adjustment period. I'm sure others will have better advice.

elizabethann
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. Olivia hasn't eaten, drank or used the potty since I brought her home last night. I'll check everything tonight when I get home from work.

Fenway is having some adjustments this week - first a new kitten and now my sister just got a puppy. I'll be bringing Fenway over to her house tonight to meet the new puppy (named Murray). He's going to say, "what is going on here? Who are these new critters?"

I like the advice of leaving the kitten alone.

Basically, I'll let her come out of her shell, when she is good and ready.

kb2yjx
10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
I think I would forgo taking Fenway to meet the puppy. He is already stressed out with the new kitten. Go meet the puppy, and come home and tell Fenway about it!!!

Vermontcat
10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
How old is the kitten? If she is really tiny, you might want to isolate her in a room by herself like the bathroom where the other pets can't get to her while you are at work. Make sure she has food, water and a litterbox in there so you can keep track of what she is doing in there. The kitten will be shy at first and want someplace safe to hide.
When I brought home my two Siamese cats last month they hid under furniture for the first day or two then explored more as they got used to their new home.
When you are home make sure you give Fenway and Jojo plenty of attention but also give the kitten some time with you in a separate room. As the kitten feels more secure in your home then try introducing them while you supervise them.
Try catnip or a toy that both cats will be interested in, they may end up playing with each other instead of the toy. Good luck, don't rush things, they may surprise you and get along rather quickly once they get used to each other.:)

Taz_Zoee
10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I recently brought a new kitten into my house with my 13 year old cat who has ALWAYS been an only cat (with the exception of a few months when I lived with a boyfriend). Like others said (and my vet agreed with this too) I put Paizly in her own room, mainly because she hadn't had her shots too. But then even after her shots I kept her in her room and Zoee met her within the first week. But Taz was able to come by the room and sniff under the door. Paizly did hide a little at first too. But we would just go into the room and lay on the floor. She eventually would come out to investigate us. We'd play with her and talk to her. We let her come to us when she was ready.
Eventually we let her out into the rest of the house under close supervision. Taz hated her! Hiss, growled and swatted at her constantly!! Then about a week later they were actually playing together. :D Even now, especially with Taz not feeling good, he still hisses and growls at her quite a bit. But I never interrupt, I only watch to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. The thing is, Paizly has no fear! She'll just keep coming back for more. LOL

I felt horrible that I had turned Taz's world upside down by bringing home a little monster (his words LOL). But they are all fine now. And Zoee gives Paizly baths all the time too. Basically you just need to give them all time. I honestly felt like there would never be harmony in my house again. But experienced PTers put my mind at ease and of course they were right!! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Olivia. And I'm also looking forward to hearing about how well they are all doing in about a month. :)

jazzcat
10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Has Olivia been checked by a vet? I would keep her and JoJo apart until she's been checked out and then I would give them a few days to get adjusted to the smell of each other under the door before letting them see each other. One thing that might help would be to give each kitty a towel or blanket to sleep on and then once they've gotten their scent on it swap the blankets and let them "smell" each other. That helped with my guys.

If Fenway hasn't really been around a little kitten you may want to be very cautious with him. Kittens bounce around differently from cats and it might kick in his prey drive. Has he gone after a ferret before? This little kitten might definitely look the same to him. You might want to keep him on a leash when you introduce them so you have control of him just in case.

How old is the kitten? She sounds like she may have been taken from her mom too soon if she is crying that much.

elizabethann
10-10-2008, 11:31 AM
She is 9 weeks old. Is that too young to be taken away from the Mother? I thought it was 8 weeks so that is why I took her. I will feel AWFUL if that was too soon.

Fenway is a terrier mutt. He's killed critters before - mice, moles, fox, etc. He is very good with JoJo and was good with Cosmo & Maxie (they died last year).

When I go home I will do the towel idea. I have an appointment on Monday with the vet for a wellness checkup. I can't remember how old a cat has to be before they are "fixed".

I will try to post a picture tonight. Believe me when I say she is just gorgeous. I've never had a cat/kitten that was so beautiful. She has blue eyes and is just breathtaking.

Maybe I'll go to the store and pick up a magazine on Siamese cats.

jazzcat
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
No 9 weeks is not too young. I just wondered since she was crying so much.

Please be careful with Fenway. My sister had a wire hair terrier and when she kept her daughter's young cat for a weekend he saw Rugby, the cat, run across the basement and got excited and attacked. He almost killed Rugby. It was a surprise to them because my sister had two cats of her own but her terrier hadn't been around younger cats or kittens before.

Taz_Zoee
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
As far as getting her spayed, vets vary on this. So talk to your vet and find out their weight regulation. My vet it was 2 lbs and she suggested the age to be 4 to 6 months old. I spayed Paizly at 4 months old (she weighed about 4lbs). The sooner you get them spayed the better it is for them in the long run.

Still looking forward to seeing beautiful Olivia! :D

Moesha
10-10-2008, 05:31 PM
My suggestion was the same as jazzcat's. Make sure to have the kitten checked out well with the vet before letting it around your other kitty. I've also slowly introduced new kitties. Of course Morgan is very tolerant of new arrivals, so that helps A LOT! We're waiting for pictures of your model! :)
ETA: I forgot to say that I used to have a kitty named Olivia. I like that name.

Alysser
10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
AW, Congratulations! I can't wait to see the picture of your new kitten. :)

rg_girlca
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't wait to see a picture of your new baby. She sounds adorable.

I'm one for a slow introduction when it comes to newbies in the house. I keep them in my room and after they get a clean bill of health, then I walk around the house while holding the kitten over my arm. The next day I let each cat smell the babies butt as this is normally what they do anyway. I do this for about a week and then while under supervision I put the kitten on the floor and see how it goes with the others. If all goes well, then they can stay out of the room while I am home, but if it gets too stressful for them or my others, then it's back in the room. It takes about 2-3 weeks before I can totally leave them out of the room. By doing this, I have had great success with my guys getting along, mind you, NOT all the time, but for the most part, they've been good with each other.

Good luck with your new sweetie and how I pray that all goes well with JoJo and especially with Fenway. It concerns me that he has killed small critters before.

Vermontcat
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Any update on Olivia?
Did you take her to the vet today for a checkup?
Have you been able to get a good photo of her yet?
I would love to see a picture of her, she sounds adorable.:)
I hope Fenway and Jojo get used to her.