View Full Version : Rash

Marigold2
10-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I have had a rash for about 10 days now..........:confused:
It started on my arm, then my leg, thighs, stomach and now my back. :(:(
So today I went to the Dr. $50.00 copay.:rolleyes:
And I have

:eek:
Poisen ivy...............................
Never had it before......................:mad::mad:

I just hope it doesn't spread to my butt or the inside of my nose.:eek::eek:
No lady like way to scratch that itch in public

Daisy and Delilah
10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I am really sorry to hear this. I hope you get over it soon. That can't be fun at all!! Good luck:(

shepgirl
10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Poison Ivy at this time of year? Sorry you have to go through that kind of itch...

Catlady711
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
You can get poison ivy any time of year. The oils in the plant can live through anything and even live for years after the plant is dead! My hubby will back that one up from personal experience!

If it's still spreading then you have the poison ivy oils somewhere in your house, car, or clothes. Contrary to popular belief scratching the blisters doesn't make it spread. What comes out of your blisters is your own body fluid. Spreading comes from either oils under your fingernails you didn't get cleaned out, or from some other contaminated item you haven't cleaned yet.

I once got it while mushroom hunting (I never used to get it either), and didn't change my clothes before sitting in my cpu chair. Needless to say when I wore shorts I kept getting it on my thighs!!!:eek: It wasn't until I cleaned every chair, doorknob, steering wheel, and clothing I'd come in contact with it, did it finally stop spreading and go away.

**BEWARE** You can get poison ivy from your pets also if the oils are on their fur. I've gotten it at work before from a dog that had run in the woods.

I just cleaned it with 409, or basically any grease/oil cutting cleaner you have for your kitchen. Washing in HOT water with a good detergent will take care of whatever is in your clothes.

Baking soda paste and gentle washing with dial soap is about the best thing you can do for the rash for home remedies. Benadryl also helps some with the itching.

I can totally sympathize with you. I've had it on my face before and my eye swelled shut. I was so miserable.

I hope you find the source of the oils so it will stop spreading and that you heall up really soon.

elizabethann
10-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Ugh...poison ivy. Just typing those words make me itch. I've gotten in the winter...from...guess who....Fenway! He goes in it and then I kiss and hug him and I get it all over. I've had it on my neck, my boobs, my lips, my face, my butt, my back, my stomach, my feet, my legs, and my thighs. Strangely, I only got it once this year. However, I have a little tiny patch of it on my tummy right now.

Did you doctor give you some medicated itch relief cream? It helps a lot. Also, Prednisone. That works really well. And another drug that begins with the letter "a". I can't remember it right now.

Good luck!

Medusa
10-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Tecnu. Best stuff I ever bought. If you can't find it at your pharmacy, then it may be that you need to ask your pharmacist for it. I had a terrible case of deadly nightshade rash years ago and my skin actually bled. Nothing worked, even cortisone shots. Someone told me about Tecnu and it saved me. It stops the itching immediately and starts to dry up the rash at once. It's great stuff. You'll never use calamine lotion again.

ramanth
10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I second Tecnu. I apply it to any rash I get and it's gone just like that. :D

Marigold2
10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I just bought some Tecnu. I found it at Walgreens. I have the medicated scrub. It was expensive $14.99. Will try it tonight.
Mary that sounds so painful I am so sorry you had to go through that.