PDA

View Full Version : Rutherford's sad news.

jenluckenbach
10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
If you read the cat health forum, you know Rutherford has had his share of problems. The latest being a fibrosarcoma removed from his back and a few months later, another one.

As a cancer, fibrosarcoma can be bad news. And the worst has happened to dear Rutherford. It is moving into his lungs. :(

Rutherford began to breathe rather hard this past Thursday. With a real heavy purr to go along with it. And his appetite has been down. I watched him over the next few days before taking him to the vet this morning.

He lost 9 ounces in a month's time. They also did an xray and compared it to the one from 6 weeks ago and saw a lot more effected area of the lungs. It's spreading fast. :(

He was treated today with a steroid shot to help his breathing, make him more comfortable (hopefully) and as a side effect, help his appetite. And since it reduces swelling, it might buy him some time.

But the bottom line is.....we'll be losing him to lung cancer, and most likely, sooner rather than later.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Killearn Kitties
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh Jen. :( All the good vibes I can muster are coming to you and Rutherford. I know how much he means to you.
I hope he stays comfortable a little longer.

Barbara
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Jen I am so terribly sorry. Rutherford was one of the "early" kitties I met here at PT. I am sending good vibes and hope that the end will be as soft as possible. :(

lvpets2002
10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
:( I am so saddened to read this.. I wish & send positive vibes for this wittle one.. Prayers

Catlady711
10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
That is very sad to hear.:( I'm just happy he has a wonderful mommy like you to help him feel as comfortable as possible with what time he has left and will continue to love him despite his medical problems. He's a very lucky cat to have you there for him. Give him a head rubbing for me will you?

ChrisH
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh, Jen, :( such sad news. My heart goes out to you and your boy.

Randi
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear how bad Rutherford is. :( I hope he'll be as comfortable as possible in his last days - I know you are doing what you can to ease his pain! Please give him some kisses from me.

(((Hugs))))

Catty1
10-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Jen...I am SO sorry to hear this about Rutherford. I do hope he is as comfortable as possible.

Just as an aside, I was talking to my vet after Cole's recent visit. He, too, has noticed an incredible increase in cat cancers. He said that one theory is that the urinary foods dissolve and prevent crystals, but also might be compromising the immune system. Maybe that applies to a lot of special diets.

Please give him a hug and a kiss on the forehead for me. Poor baby...poor you!

Just look at your miracle Mr Meow...I hope you can get some comfort from that.:love:

smokey the elder
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm so sorry about Rutherford.

About the apparent increase in cat cancers: could it be that they can be detected, and/or the cats are living longer? I hear of many more cats living into their late teens than I had when I was a kid.

Medusa
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry. The only good there is in all this is that Rutherford had the good fortune to wind up in your loving home. As for the cancer, I forgot to mention that Dr. Lee told me that, upon reviewing Puddy's x-ray the day she died, she had cancer in her bones. It didn't show up the last time she was in for x-rays so it just recently developed and she would've had that battle to go through as well. It does seem that there have been many cat cancers lately but they're all lucky to have found so many wonderful PT people.

rg_girlca
10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh Jen, like the others, I am so, so sorry to hear this about precious Rutherford.

I know that you will make sure that he remains as comfortable as could be and will be loved ever more so. My heart goes out to.

Prayers and HUGS for you during these trying times.

This tough time will end. Just know in your heart that you don't need to go it alone. We will always be here for you.

phesina
10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Jen, I am so sorry to learn about Rutherford.

Be comfortable and happy, sweet boy, knowing you are loved beyond words and have the most wonderful home imaginable.

Hugs and purrs and gentle pets to you both.

Pat and cats

GILL
10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I am so sorry, at lest he was in a wonderful home, with a loving mom. Take hart in that he will be waiting at the bridge when the time comes. We all know that you have one of the biggest harts around and do every thing possible for your babies.

Kirsten
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh Jen, I'm really sorry! You've been through so much lately with your kitties, and this one sounds really bad!

I hope there's still some quality time left for Rutherford where he's painfree and happy.

Please give him a hug from me, okay? :love:

Kirsten

catmandu
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
NO, NOT BIG HANDSOME RUTHERFORD.:love::love:
HES BEEN WITH YOU FOR SO MANY YEARS , THATS SUCH A SHAME TO LOSE ANY FRIEND THAT YOU HAVE LOVED FOR SO LONG:love: AND SO WELL.:love:
I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER HOW RUTHERFORD CAME TO BE YOUR CAT.
COULD YOU PLEASE RETELL RUTHERFORDS STORY, AS I RECALL THAT WAS A TOUCHING STORY.
THE FOUND CATS AND I ARE PRAYING FOR THIER DEAR FRIEND RUTHERFORD , AND OF COURSE WE PRAY THAT HES GOT AT LEAST ONE CATMAS AHEAD OF HIM:love::love:
PLESAE OUR ALL MIGHTY LORD GOD, LET RUTHERFORD HAVE AS LITTLE PAIN, AND BE AS HAPPY AS POSSIBLE :love::love::love:

Pam
10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Jen, I am so sorry to read this. I remember Rutherford from way back. I know you are devastated. ((((Hugs)))) I hope he can be made as comfortable as possible for his remaining time with you.

G535
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Rutherford, I wish there could be some miracle cure for him.

Grace
10-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Rutherford.

kb2yjx
10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Jen!!! I am just so sorry to hear about dear Rutherford!!! As some have already posted, Rutherford could not be in better and caring hands!! Will send prayers....Take care....

jenluckenbach
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Here is Rutherford's story as I wrote in in 2002:

Rutherford's story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rutherford and Fern's story go hand in hand because they were adopted on the same day, May 24, 1997. But we will focus on Rutherford.
The "why" behind adopting 2 cats is a sad story all by itself. It was early May, 1997, and a normal day off for my husband and me, playing with our 6 cats before leaving for errand running. Upon our return we discovered our 14 year old cat Thumper, under the table DEAD. An awful sight especially since he was not sick. Very mysterious, heart attack we suspected. Now for the double blow, 5 DAYS later, our beloved Brighteyes, our first cat,also 14,was having problems breathing. It was 6 a.m. and I knew she was suffering so it was off to the after hours emergency clinic. Good bye, sweet girl. We'll miss you. You'll always be our first.
Now that we are a 4 cat household, there was too much emptiness and grief. On the upcoming Memorial day weekend we knew that a local shelter, that was an all foster home organization, would be having their "Kitten Kapers", an event that brought their cats together in one rented building for the public to see. We had already picked out 2 names, Ruth and Fern, after 2 freinds of ours. We figured we'd take 2 cats that were already bonded to each other so they would have that relationship as they got better acquainted with their new family. Well a very special blue and white male cat changed bothe those plans in one fell swoop!
He was a long haired, or would be when he grew back. Matted, so badly we were told, that they had no choice but to shave him to the skin. But even with that shaved, bald little body, his personality shone through. His picture perfect little face continually straining at the top of his cage to get closer to us. We kept looking for our 2 "sibling" females but "baldy" would not be discouraged. He would find a way to convince us, that he was our man. (To be honest, it really didn't take much convincing, sometimes you just KNOW!).
[Then we chose Fern-but that's a different story]
Ruth, now Rutherford B. Hayes, turned out to be the sweetest, most lovable and polite cat that has ever walked this planet. Everyone (including a few here on PT) that meets him wants to take him home. His 2 favorite things are being brushed and being petted. Both of which you will tire of before he does. And he always comes, from any where in the house, when you call "Rutherford, my lap is empty!". But he will wait for an invitation to jump up. You must say "You can". Sweet Rutherford, I'd take a dozen, just like you

Moesha
10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Rutherford. I hope these days can be comfortable and happy for him.

LionHart
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
So sorry to read about Rutherford. Praying for both comfort and peace....for you both ((((HUGS))))

Catty1
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Rutherford about a year ago (I couldn't quite picture him, so went looking for pics).

What a sweet fluffy boy!

Aug 07
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/Rutherford8-10-07.jpg

Dec 07
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford10-12-07.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/2-11-07003.jpg

Still looking for one where he is AWAKE! ;)
AH - here we go!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherfod12-4-04.jpg

Sunny boy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford5-26-06.jpg

"Who Can Resist Rutherford?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford6-25-06.jpg

And last - certainly not least - a dark but really cute video of Rutherford getting a tummy rub back in 2004! VERY HAPPY KITTY!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=47812&highlight=Rutherford

LionHart
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
What a BEAUTY!

And that video of the belly rub.....what a mess!

DJFyrewolf36
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Im so sorry about Rutherford. :( *HUGS* and prayers on the way for your big boy.

jazzcat
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh Jen I'm so sorry. :( I know you and Charlie will make the most of your time with your special boy.

Please give him some extra scritchies for me and here are some (((HUGS))) for you.

Vermontcat
10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:(
Enjoy the time you have left with Rutherford, give him a big hug from me.

jennielynn1970
10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh my gosh. I never expected to read this. I have met, and adore, Rutherford, and have wanted to catnap him myself. He is the absolute sweetest boy on earth.

I'm so sorry that his cancer has spread, and cannot be treated. :( I just can't believe he would be taken so soon.

Hope he will be comfortable and still his sweet self for a long time, and not going to the Bridge so soon.

Big hugs and pets going out to sweet Rutherford.

Craftlady
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
So sorry to read this about Rutherford.

Emeraldgreen
10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
But even with that shaved, bald little body, his personality shone through. His picture perfect little face continually straining at the top of his cage to get closer to us. We kept looking for our 2 "sibling" females but "baldy" would not be discouraged. He would find a way to convince us, that he was our man. (To be honest, it really didn't take much convincing, sometimes you just KNOW!).[/I]

What a beautiful story about Rutherford. This part was my favourite. :love:
This must be a terrible time for you and I'm so sorry. I'm just so thankful that he found you and your husband in that crowd that day to adopt him. It sounds like it has been a perfect match. My thoughts are with you.

AbbyMom
10-07-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Rutherford. Give him a kiss for me, will you? Thanks.

Cataholic
10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
My heart breakes with yours and Charlies. I am crushed. Many gentle pets for Rutherford, may his time be spent with soft whispers of love. I am so very sorry.
Love,
Johanna

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Oh no...., what a sad news about Rutherford...!! He is such a gorgeous longhaired, in fact he looks a lot like Sky (KrazyAboutKatz).
The upcoming days & weeks will be so hard for you & Charlie... .I am sending you both tons of positive vibes and hugs:)

Lut

Catty1
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Dear Rutherford...Please give that fluffy sweetheart a good schmoozle and kisses from me. :love::love:

HUGS to you and Charlie.

cristy
10-08-2008, 11:26 AM
what a beautiful boy! I know that it is hard to say goodbye, but he has had some wonderful years with you guys and has known true love first hand...all cats should be so lucky! Prayers for all of you........

CultureJunky
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I am sorry to hear about Rutherford, that is so sad. My thoughts and wishes are with you Jen, all the other cats and all your hooman family too through this trying time. My best wishes and kisses to Rutherford too. :love:

Kirsten
10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
He's looking so sweet! Hard to believe he's so ill! :(

Please give him kisses from me, too! :love:

Kirsten

momcat
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Many prayers are being prayed for your sweet Rutherford. Please give him some gentle lovies from me? Many [[[[[HUGS]]]]] being sent for you.

Catty1
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Jen, has Rutherford started the pred? How are his spirits?:love:

jenluckenbach
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Rutherford got a depo shot Monday. Supposedly better than oral pred, for this.

He is eating, but not as much as he used to. He's sedate, but happy. Been snuggling him all day (and will do so all week....vacation!)

His breathing seems better. But I realize that can change any time.

That boy is AWESOME. Life has thrown him a lot of curves, and he takes the ups and downs without complaint. No one could ever ask for a better patient, a better companion, a better all around cat, than Rutherford. :love:

kimlovescats
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh no! I have always loved your Rutherford, Jen! Hugs and prayers that he is able to be comfortable and happy for many more days, weeks, months!:love:

Scooter's Mom
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I am sorry to hear this sad news. Give your sweet boy some extra hugs and kissies from me.

((hugs)) to you, too.

GILL
10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
We are so sorry. It sounds like he's alittle more comfortable. Lots of hugs, kisses, and snuggles.

kb2yjx
10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The Clan prays very hard for Rutherford, that he is comfortable and gets lots of hugs and kisses!!!

Laura's Babies
10-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Give him sweet loves and kisses from me too. This is horriable news to come home to and my heart breaks for you. Love him as much as you can while you can! ((((((HUGS)))))

krazyaboutkatz
10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( He's always been one of my favorites and could be Sky's twin if he had blue eyes. I'm glad that the depo shot is making him feel more comfortable. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
10-11-2008, 10:32 AM
My heart breaks for your sweet boy and you. How sad that he is so ill. Give him a gentle hug from me.

((((hugs to you, too))))):(:(

jenluckenbach
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Rutherford's appetite is less than normal. He totally refuses canned food now, even baby food. He's back on dry, but I wonder if he's eating enough to hold his weight. :(

He tearing my heart out.

Catty1
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
{{{{hugs}}}}

cristy
10-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know what to say, other than we are thinking of you and sending lots of love...

Medusa
10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Prayers are continuing for Rutherford and you, Jen.

columbine
10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
{hug!} I think the reason that cats are so "stoic" when they're sick is because they live in the moment, like Burns' "Mousie." The happiness you give Rutherford is every bit as full as ever.

Love, Columbine

momcat
10-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Please know that special prayers will be offered at church tomorrow morning for both Rutherford and you

Catty1
10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
How are his spirits, Jen? Still sedate but happy? Knows who mom and dad are, and still enjoys affection?

I wish you all comfort and peace.:love:

DJFyrewolf36
10-11-2008, 11:01 PM
How is Rutherford today? *HUGS* to you and your whole family.

phesina
10-12-2008, 04:33 PM
More {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you and gentle pets for your beloved Rutherford, Jen. We are all praying for you.

jenluckenbach
10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Please help me say good bye to a dear friend. :(

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2074695#post2074695

GILL
10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm so sorry.