PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting organs from Human Clones

StarandBratsmom
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
The future of medical science will one day clone humans to use their organs to save lives. Is this morally wrong, or is it ok?

Just need your honest opinion. That's why it's posted in the general sections over this site. I need as much info as possible for a college paper. Your names will not be used.

shepgirl
10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm all for organ donor cards but think cloning people to harvest organs is morally wrong. What will they do with the people after they remove the organs, just euthanize them?
I think this cloning thing is going too far, seems like playing god to me.

Karen
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
If it were possible to just clone the needed tissue - grow just a kidney, for example, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise, I do not think it will ever be actually done - clone a whole person just to harvest an eye or a spleen, despite many science fiction doom-and-gloom movies and stories to that effect. It is just too morally tricky.

And, to grow, for example, a kidney big enough to serve an adult would take years if you grew it inside a whole human ... same for heart, eyes, lungs, etc.

I understand this is for a paper, but I do not think the original premise will ever be morally acceptable to most of humanity.

blue
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Should have been a poll.

Morally unacceptable in my book.

Suki Wingy
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
If you are doing this for a research paper this better be in the public opinion section of it!
Technically, a human clone would be no different than an identical twin. They would be their own person, therefore, harvesting their vital organs when they were still healthy and alive is the same as killing any other person to harvest their vital organs.
I agree with Karen that if we can clone and grow individual organs or tissue on their own, that would be great.

Lady's Human
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Being that scientists are already making progress in cloning specific tissue types from adult stem cells, the whole question is a moot point.