PDA

View Full Version : Gerbil help!!!

slj84
09-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Hi,
On June 18th My one of my two males Mysteriously had 6 babies :rolleyes: , well after that I decided to update myself on gerbils for it had been a while since I owned one. Once the babies were old enought I spereated the mommy and daddy, the males went with the daddy and the females went with the mommy. now leaving me with 1 full grown male and 3 baby males in a cage and 1 full grown female and 3 baby females in another cage. Their was plenty of room for them when all the babies were still little, but as the grew the space got smaller and smaller, so I went out and bought them really nice big wire cages. Now I have two problems,
1.) Even though I have plenty of things in the cage for them to chew on (mainly wood items) they still chew on the plastic wheel and tubes.
2.) They keep kicking all their bedding out of the cage, I know they like to burrow, but I want to know if their is anyway to stop them from knocking all the bedding out of the cage.

I got them litter boxes which the use really well so that helps keep the cages clean, and I am very happy with the cages but with the two promblems I have listed above. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop them.
Thanks
~Slj84 and her 8 Gerbils , Zander, Zoey, D'artanian, Tobias, Sabastion, Molly, Lilly, and Libby~

Sam's My Baby
09-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Hello and welcome to pettalk! First of all I would like to congratulate you on your babies! The same thing happened with my friends gerbil, they were supposed to both be males..but then one day one had babies so then they knew "he" was actually a she, and that is how I got my gerbil, she was 1 of the 3 pups. I have the same problem with my gerbil, I give her things to chew but she always chews on her wheel, but to help them from stop chewing their weel you can try those soft wood blocks that are flavored or you can try dog treats (yes it is ok to give them those) they really like the chicken flavor..it keeps thier teeth nice and trim. One way you could try to stop them from kicking their bedding out of the cage is to try to put less bedding or you could put plastic (the plastic wrap stuff) around the bottom so it cant get out. I hope this helps! Good luck!:)