PDA

View Full Version : A Prayer for Economic Times

Catty1
10-05-2008, 07:13 PM
This morning Greg did his first in a three-sermon series called "Defragmenting Your Life". In part of it he told us of a pastor somewhere in the USA; he had consulted with economic advisors as well as the parishioners, and he created a prayer for these times. I was struck by it and asked Greg for a copy. I wanted to share it with folks here.

Canada is heading into a major slowdown as well, so we can use this prayer too.

It is more striking to hear it read at a measured pace, rather than read through quickly.

"God,
Heal my desires...heal my fears...teach me to hold my possessions loosely...teach me simplicity...teach me generosity...help me to love you...help me have joy."

Greg also told us that in about 33 AD, Rome had an economic meltdown. The Roman government, under Tiberius, intervened! They gave the country a huge loan, in effect. If you failed to pay it back, you and your family were sold into slavery. :eek:

So...I guess this situation is not at all without precedent.

For what it's worth - all our US friends affected by the economic situation were in our prayers this morning. As in, written on the wall in PowerPoint and repeated by all.

Hellow
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
This morning Greg did his first in a three-sermon series called "Defragmenting Your Life". In part of it he told us of a pastor somewhere in the USA; he had consulted with economic advisors as well as the parishioners, and he created a prayer for these times. I was struck by it and asked Greg for a copy. I wanted to share it with folks here.

Canada is heading into a major slowdown as well, so we can use this prayer too.

It is more striking to hear it read at a measured pace, rather than read through quickly.

"God,
Heal my desires...heal my fears...teach me to hold my possessions loosely...teach me simplicity...teach me generosity...help me to love you...help me have joy."

Greg also told us that in about 33 AD, Rome had an economic meltdown. The Roman government, under Tiberius, intervened! They gave the country a huge loan, in effect. If you failed to pay it back, you and your family were sold into slavery. :eek:

So...I guess this situation is not at all without precedent.

For what it's worth - all our US friends affected by the economic situation were in our prayers this morning. As in, written on the wall in PowerPoint and repeated by all.

That was nice of him to make a prayer to assist the greater good. The US is having a major economic breakdown (sure you already know), im worried along with nearly everyone else in this country.

DJFyrewolf36
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Everyone is affected by this and its scary...the only saving grace to the situation is I'm in an industry that sadly gets a lot more work in bad times (security). I've noticed a steady increase in thefts over the past few months. Just yesterday someone ripped my stereo out of my car...probibly to sell for all of $10 :(
I would have GIVEN that person what it was worth, just because I know how hard things are and how it feels like you're never going to get ahead.

Thanks for posting