PDA

View Full Version : Hair Pulling Fun! *sarcasm* Help, maybe?

Sevaede
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
As some may know or whatnot, I started college recently.

Two of my teachers have handed out sheets with all of our assignments to be "assigned" (even though we have them in advance) and done on that day (*not* due on that day). One is math and the other is French (francaise, if you will.;) ).

Math is done on paper for obvious reasons like "showing" your work. French, however, is done on the computer through "un cahier" (the workbook). However, after flipping through the syllabus I see that we are supposed to be handing in redactions (written assignments) for each lesson. These are supposed to be comprised of sentences written in French so that she can understand how much we know. However, she has not discussed this at all! How am I supposed to know when to do these, what the subject is, etc?

My other gripe is with math. DH says that teachers give you the work to figure it out for yourself and THEN they teach you the next time you see them. What would be the point, then, if you had already figured it out (besides the obvious...)? Aren't teachers supposed to teach you the material and THEN give you work to do on your own as a means of testing your knowledge of said subject? He does discuss it a bit but does not cover parts of the whole assignment. Some of the time I am left wondering what to do.

The French teachers method is to speak ONLY in French and point at random objects and expect us to comprehend. It wouldn't be so bad if she would go over EVERYTHING that we're covering. How am I supposed to do parts of the assignment when I don't know the words, grammar, etc?

To make matters worse, my homework is backed up for several days because I couldn't figure out how to access my online workbook. Now I am left with half done homework (which, thankfully, isn't due til the 13th for some reason!).

Is there any sort of standard that teachers have to follow regarding the set up of their curriculum? I am not trying to be critical, it's an honest question. I really like my teachers (they are funny and super nice) but they don't seem to understand what I am asking them half of the time.

Edited- If there is any PTer that speaks French, and would be willing to help me check my translations, it would be much appreciated! :) I have to write and prove my comprehension but when I use an online service (like babel fish) to double check it gives me something that I *know* isn't correct.