PDA

View Full Version : To my fellow Canadians....I'm a Poll Clerk! :-)

Catty1
10-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll be in a (hopefully) comfy chair for about 14 hours on Election Day, helping people cast their votes.

Your vote DOES count - if it didn't, there would be no such thing as a recount! And there are plenty. All it takes is you to make a difference.

HERE ARE TWO LINKS TO HELP:

Strategic Voting http://www.voteforenvironment.ca/
Comparative List of Three Polls http://www.nodice.ca/elections/canada/polls.php

VOTE SMART. VOTE FOR TOMORROW. And please go brighten up the day of your local poll clerk on the 14 hr day...it's lonely at the top! :-)

Thank you, Canadian friends.

Candace

Lilith Cherry
10-05-2008, 05:33 AM
I already voted the day before I left to return to China.... the people were friendly and helpful and I felt good about being able to do it advance. Thanks, Elections Canada! Have a good day, Catty!

phesina
10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Good on you, Candace! Will you be working there for the entire 14 hours? I trust you get the occasional bathroom break and the opportunity to eat something at some point?

Catty1
10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, Pat - we bring all our own food and drink (though family/friend is allowed in to bring us a dinner like pizza or something). Both the Deputy Returning Officer and the Poll Clerk have to be at the table for an elector to vote.

So - when it's slow, run to the loo, eat something, etc! And also bring a book.

Kind of like a long day in retail - rushes and slow times. But at least we get to sit down! And count ballots! Exciting!

smokey the elder
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I was thinking of sitting poll in my county, but a 16 hour day is just too much. I don't know why they can't get enough volunteers to do shifts. Maybe if they had shifts, they'd get more volunteers! I would do it if it were a normal shift.

Catty1
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Poll Clerks and other staff here get paid - I think I am getting about $162 for the day or something.

That helps get a few people out. There's always a scramble to fill all the positions, but they do get filled.

shepgirl
10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Did that for 9 yrs in a row...no energy to try that again. We can do our voting online this year which will be fabulous for me and others also I'm sure.

Emeraldgreen
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Voted early today instead of waiting for next week. I made sure to smile at our poll clerk for all the hard work! Good for you Candace. :)