PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!! Buddy's new owner wants to declaw him

moosmom
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Hal called me and said that Buddy has been scratching up a storm on his carpeting and he wants to declaw him.

I told him if he was going to do that, I'm taking him back. He said absolutely not, that he has become attached to him and wants to know what else he can do to prevent it. I told him all the problems he's looking at if he did declaw him. He asked me about the tendonectomy. I checked with my vet and he said that it WAS popular in the beginning, but not many vets will do them. I also told him that if he got out ("Oh he won't get out) he'd have no way of defending himself.

I told him about Soft Paws and how I would be glad to apply them and re-apply them as needed. He's going to try that first. I also told him to get a piece of firewood and put it on the floor on some newspaper and sprinkle it with catnip. I also told him use the squirt bottle which he hates, cuz I've used it on him and cringes when I even point it at him.

I do miss Buddy but would like to see him stay in this awesome home, as Hal has become very attached to him.

All this guy has done since he got Buddy is complain about him and things he's done.

I guess Buddy needs PT prayers. He's only 2 years old and very curious. I really don't know what else to tell Hal.

Any suggestions?

Catty1
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
With a tendonectomy, the claws keep growing, and still have to be trimmed.

I am SO glad he is willing to try the Soft Paws and the log with catnip!

With my guys, I have a few scratching posts scattered around...one cardboard catnip one not far from their food dishes. ETA: I also check/trim their claws regularly.

If he had a couple of even cardboard or sisal ones, Buddy would enjoy those and leave the carpet alone...along with spray bottle reinforcement!
The cardboard ones aren't expensive and are flat like carpet.

Remind Hal that his cat was older and wasn't as naughty as a "teenager" like Buddy!;):D

Prayers for Buddy!

sasvermont
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey Donna, why doesn't the guy spring for some scratching posts? They work for me. Most cats will use them if encouraged to do so. This is a tough call. Gosh, what a mess. I hope the man eases up a bit. :eek:

kb2yjx
10-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Thank heavens Buddy will be fitted with Soft Paws!!! I have to agree, the guy should spring for a few scratching posts and put them all over the house. The Clan are very good about using the posts(and the cardboard ones). Even Bianca Rose, who was declawed when we adopted her, LOVES to use the posts!! Prayers that things work out for Buddy!!! Maybe you can find a video on the internet that shows the declawing of a cat, and make the owner watch it!!

Karen
10-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you for discouraging the declawing, and working with him as far as alternatives. Does he have scratching posts? That and a bit of catnip rubbed on it if Buddy is a nip-loving kitty might be a good idea.

Bless you for keeping up with Hal and Buddy. I am sure things will work out with some more time.

Randi
10-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Donna, I'm glad you're standing up for Buddy's claws! :cool: How about Hal learns to clip his nails? If I can clip Fister's, anyone can learn it!

Taz_Zoee
10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok, I guess I missed the thread about Buddy being adopted. :confused:

Of course scratching posts are a must. But Taz trained himself to scratch on an area rug. When I first moved in with Bruce I didn't bring it and he was scratching on other things. I brought down the rug as soon as I could and he will run back to the bedroom (we keep it back there because it is a tattered old rug) to sharpen his claws on it.
I am going through the training a cat to scratch phase as we speak. Paizly like to scratch on the carpet, and we have berber carpet. :eek: Her nails are not doing too much damage because she's still so small. But I need to redirect her starting NOW.

I'm glad he's not just going out and getting him declawed and that he's willing to work with your suggestions.

Good luck!

moosmom
10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Taz Zoe,

Good news is Buddy was adopted about a month or so ago. It's the perfect home except for this declawing issue. The guy is 79 years old and is afraid to do it himself cuz he doesn't want to hurt him. His former cat was declawed (by his wife when she had him neutered) so he didn't have to clip his nails.

Buddy has his original scratching post. I've told Hal that whenever he does scratch the rug, squirt him and bring him over to his scratching post.

The problem with using carpet remnants is the cats don't know the difference between the remnant and the carpeting. That's what my vet told me. I had a beat up old chair that I allowed my cats to scratch the heck out of. When I got new furniture, they started scratching it. That's when my vet told me that cats don't know the difference between and old chair and a new chair. Made sense, so I re-directed their scratching to a cat tree. Worked like a charm!!!

catmandu
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I WOULD WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN GET BUDDY A NEW SCRATCHINGPOST , AND SEE IF HE WILL PLAY WITH THAT.
I HATE TO SAY THIS, BUT IF BUDDYS RUINING AN EXPENSIVE CARPET , THEN HIS NEW GUARDIIAN MAY HAVE A GOOD POINT.
WE ARE HOPING AND PRAYING THAT SOMEHOW A COMPROMISE CAN BE REACHED.:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
That totally makes sense about the cat not knowing the difference. But for some reason Taz only scratches on that rug. It's an actual small area rug, not a carpet remnant. You know the ones with the fringe along the ends? Trust me I'm not going to go get a carpet for Paizly, LOL. I'll redirect her to her scratching thing. Actually I need to buy her a new one.

So Buddy has his scratching post already. Could it be possible that he is sorta "marking his territory"? I have no idea if cats do that or not, just a thought.

That is great that Buddy found such a good home. :D

Medusa
10-03-2008, 05:21 PM
The problem with using carpet remnants is the cats don't know the difference between the remnant and the carpeting. That's what my vet told me. I had a beat up old chair that I allowed my cats to scratch the heck out of. When I got new furniture, they started scratching it. That's when my vet told me that cats don't know the difference between and old chair and a new chair. Made sense, so I re-directed their scratching to a cat tree. Worked like a charm!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth, Donna. Sisal or cardboard scratching posts are better for that very reason. Otherwise, Buddy will look at Hal and think "Why can I scratch on this carpet but not that one?" I do hope that he gives the soft claws a try.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Donna, I think it is a very good sign that he phoned YOU first, instead of just getting it done. That tells me that maybe he was hoping there is another answer - and there is and are. :)

A couple of catnip cardboard posts would be inexpensive, and would give Buddy more variety.

I hope he trains out of it soon. As I mentioned before, just remind Hal that Buddy is still a teenager! :D;)

moosmom
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I am NOT going to allow declawing. I'll pull the cat from the house, as I have the vet paperwork still.

One thing I noticed is it seems everytime he calls, he complains about him, saying "If he didn't have the same face of my other cat..."

He says that Buddy has become a lap cat and when he yells at him for being naughty (I told him yelling at a cat does nothing), he'll rub against his leg as if to say "I'm sorry".

I'm reserving my opinion right now. He doesn't want to give Buddy up. But, if he wants, and he's so worried about his carpeting, I'll find him an already declawed cat. Oh yeah, and in his living room he has a HUGE velvet portrait of a naked woman that shows EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) that makes me very uncomfortable. To each his own, I guess.

orangemm
10-04-2008, 06:37 AM
He's 79 and has "artwork" like that out in the open??:eek::rolleyes:

My guys LOVE the round trackball with cardboard scratching area in the center; as soon as I unwrapped it and set it on the floor, there was a flurry of scratching. I didn't think they would take to it, but it still is a hit.

Another scratching post that really works is one that looks like a squat tripod. I bought it years ago and have replaced the sisal once. They can sit on their haunches and scratch like mad on that thing. There are so many options out there. Methinks Buddy's person should wander around PetSmart and see what's available.

moosmom
10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I called Hal this morning. He complained about Buddy wanting to be in high places, him knocking things off their places while Hal's asleep. I told him I was not going to spring for Soft Paws, and that Buddy CAN be retrained to use his scratching post. He said he's been using the water bottle which Buddy hates and it's working so far. He asked me if I should rub catnip on the scratching post. I said it would be another option and maybe a good idea. I told him I would pull Buddy before I'd allow him to maul him by having him declawed. He got very defensive. "You're going to take him back after only a little while??" It's been over a month and all he's done is complain. Buddy happens to be noctournal. That's all part of his unique personality. Then he said, "Maybe I should just get a kitten." He'll have to find it on his own.

When Buddy was with me he loved knocking things off my tv and stereo, and being high up on the refrigerator or the cupboards. It didn't bother me at all. That's his personality.

He promised me he'd give Buddy back before he'd declaw him. I'm at the end of my rope.:(

Medusa
10-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I hope I'm not out of line here, Donna, but I think it's natural for Hal to have some gritch time in the beginning. You should've heard me gritch when I first rescued Coco Puff. There was nothing that he didn't get into or climb but he was, after all, a kitten and all my other furkids were past that stage. I think that if anyone had heard me, they may have assumed that I regretted rescuing him. No way. I was just used to peace in my household and that little meezer upset the apple cart, let me tell you. But he settled in nicely, I calmed down after I got used to his antics and now we're one big happy family. However, if you feel that Hal will declaw Buddy after he's agreed not to, then I can certainly understand why you would want Buddy back. I'd give it a little more time but just keep a close watch on the situation.

momcat
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Donna, Reading your thread one thing keeps coming to mind here. Is Hal the right person for Buddy? What really bothers me is Hal's complaining about something or another every time you talk to him. What were his expectations? Does he realize that all cats have their own distinct personalities and Buddy is no different? I can't help but wonder if Hal only wants to replace the cat he once had, if so he's in for disappointment after disappointment. Hal claims to be "attached" to Buddy yet seems always annoyed with him. Kitties do things we don't always understand but we deal with it and do what we have to to correct their behavior when necessary. Please keep watch on this situation and don't hesitate to do what's best for Buddy.

Catlady711
10-04-2008, 04:14 PM
What were his expectations? Does he realize that all cats have their own distinct personalities and Buddy is no different? I can't help but wonder if Hal only wants to replace the cat he once had, if so he's in for disappointment after disappointment. Hal claims to be "attached" to Buddy yet seems always annoyed with him.

I was kind of thinking that myself. We have many clients that have lost a pet for various reasons and have gone out to get another one that looks exactly like the one they're missing. In some cases they even give the new pet the same name as the old pet (which gets a bit confusing with our records at times.)

A new pet may look just like the old pet but I can guarantee you it won't act just like the old pet. That's why when I lost my first guinea pig (consequently named 'Pig') I went out of my way to make sure the next one I got was any color but black. I didn't want to expect the new one to be like Pig and then be sad because he wasn't. I ended up with a very nice Agouti I named Sam.

moosmom
10-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I blew out of work early because this was on my mind and it was literally making me sick. I took a ride to Hal's house and sat and talked with him. I explained that yelling at Buddy will make him a nervous nut. I also told him that I found a declawed cat that looks just like Buddy at the Humane Society. Buddy seems to be very comfortable where he is. He's only been at Hal's a month so Mary, I think you're right. I just need to give it more time. Hal is trying VERY hard and is doing all the things I'm suggesting including the squirt bottle instead of yelling. He promised me he would turn him back to me should the scratching of the carpet continue. Hal says that I miss Buddy and want him back. I told him I just want what is best for Buddy.

So, we left it at giving Buddy and Hal more time to get used to each other. Hal is wising up and taking down stuff he doesn't want Buddy knocking over. So maybe this will turn out okay.

I guess I just have to wait and see. I WILL be monitoring the situation though.

phesina
10-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Sounds to me as though you are doing all the exactly right things with regard to this situation. Well done! Keep on keeping on.

Paat

Anikaca77
10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree 100% keep checking on him, with every new cat there are new things to learn and adapt as much as possible.

Sounds to me as though you are doing all the exactly right things with regard to this situation. Well done! Keep on keeping on.

Paat

moosmom
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I was having dinner with my best friend at her condo which is right around the corner from the Humane Society, so I stopped by and took a peak at Sam, the declawed cat. He is a real sweetie. Big like Hal's deceased cat and very sweet. I stopped by Hal's again tonight to drop off a corrugated cardboard scratcher to put in the area where Buddy is scratching his carpet. He called me this morning to tell me (or complain to me) that Buddy was still scratching in front of the basement door.

Hal said he doesn't want to think about giving Buddy up. I explained to him that Sam was alot more like his deceased cat (he keeps trying to compare Buddy to him) in that he was BIG (so big the cage he was in was a little cramped), was front declawed and had a splotch of orange under he nose. I told him that Sam was in desperate need of a home because he was depressed. I'm hoping that'll give him something to think about.

I go over there unannounced and it doesn't faze Hal a bit. The director of adoptions (a friend) at the Humane Society said I've gone WAY beyond the call. But I can't just pick Buddy up and walk out with him. What I WISH I could do is go get Sam and bring him to Hal's and take Buddy back.

*sigh*

Taz_Zoee
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I think Hal may feel that if he gives Buddy back he'd be failing him. Is there any way to get Hal to the HS to take a look at Sam? And assure Hal that Buddy will go back with you?
I don't know, just suggestions. :)

NoahsMommy
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
HOnestly...I think Hal and Buddy need to have their time to bond together. A 79 year old man is not stupid and if left to his own brain for 10 minutes (ie; DONT answer his calls and only call back if severely needed, Donna), he'll figure this stuff out.

Just because his old kitty and Buddy are different, he'll see that cats are cats and they do "cat things".

My advice, let them be. They'll figure things out. If something happens where Hal or Buddy are in distress, THEN call and do something. I think that by you constantly saying you'll take Buddy is making things worse. I know you don't mean to do this, you are concerned for Buddy, of course - which is why I adore you! :)

Let things be for a few days, I can almost promise you that they'll bost adjust.

Keep us updated, OK???

Hugs & Love,
Kelly

P.S. I saw you on Yahoo last night and tried to chat but you were idle. Lets chat soon???

Emeraldgreen
10-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I was just wondering how old Sam (the cat at the Humane Society) is? If Sam is an older cat, it might be a better match for Hal, in addition to the declawed thing. 79 is up there in age and Buddy is so young. I only mention it now because you are already looking at possibly trying to provide a different cat for him if he allows it.
We just adopted two cats a few months ago and one of them, Gromit, was adopted by an older lady a few years ago but he was surrendered to the SPCA by her family a few months ago because she became too old to properly care for him. He is only 4 years old.
Our other cat George was in the exact same situation. A lady adopted him from the SPCA through the animal hospital went to. She had George for almost a year but then she wasn't able to care for him and he ended up homeless again. That is when we adopted him.
I know every person is different and my husband's parents are in their early 80's and doing pretty well. Though I don't think a pet would be the best for them now as they are starting to forget stuff, like where they parked and what they were just doing etc..
I know there are people out there who are as sharp as a tack and Hal might be one of them but I was just thinking of 5 years from now. Hopefully Buddy will live for 15-20 years.

moosmom
10-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Kelly,

I think you may have something there. Hal is as sharp as a tack, believe me. Sam is 6 years old and a real love. I think I'm going to let them be. Hal really doesn't want to give Buddy up. I told Hal that I'd take the ride to the HS with him just so he could check Sam out. I'll back off for now. I'm sure I'll hear from Hal eventually.

Sorry I missed your IM. By the time I got back to my computer you had signed off.

NoahsMommy
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Donna,

Darn it, I'll try and look for you online more often. Is there a time/day when you're normally able to chat??

I'm sure Hal will be calling you....maybe he likes the attention, you know? I really think that letting him make the decisions and using his brain will really help them bond and make him aware of what comes with kitty 'ownership'. It sounds like his wife took care of all the responsibility and decision making when it came to his last kitty. Its time for him to learn on his own - I'm sure Buddy will be glad to help teach him. ;)

Sam also sounds like a dear. I hope he gets to go to a fabulous furr-ever home too. I'm sure he will...little sweetie pie.

Hugs,
Kelly :D

moosmom
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm on now Kelly.:D

I wish I could adopt Sam but I'm maxed out. Hopefully he'll find the loving home he truly deserves.