PDA

View Full Version : Always hungry!! (How many calories do you eat?)

Kirsten
10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Well, as I mentioned before, during my time at the clinic this summer I decided to lose some weight, so I started to reduce fat in my meals, and reduced the calories as well. I think in the past, I sometimes ate more than 3,000 calories a day, but now I'm on 1,400 - 1,500 a day. Worked fine during the summer, I wasn't even too hungry, and during the last 4 months, I lost 46.5 lbs. I'm down from formerly 214 lbs to currently 167.5 lbs, and my BMI went down from 32 to now 24.5. Still want to lose about 15 more lbs.

But now it's getting colder here, I'm feeling cold, and I'm getting hungry now all the time!! Looks like 1.500 calories are not enough to keep my body functions going in the cold time of the year! LOL How frustrating! :rolleyes:

What do you think about it? Do the temperatures make really such a difference?
(Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this whole diet stuff... :D)

Kirsten

pomtzu
10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Will warm drinks take the chill (and maybe the hunger) away? If it's just your body feeling cold, then maybe warming up with liquids might help. Hot chocolate or coffee - low calorie of course!! :)

Kirsten
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, I'm already drinking a lot of hot coffee here. Didn't try hot chocolate so far because that has a lot of calories. Unfortunately, my stomach doesn't tolerate hot tea very well...

Another thing that takes away the worst hunger are rice wafers. They're filling, and each of them has only 30 calories. But the colder it is getting here, the more I have visions of chocolate in all forms... :D

I think one reason why I'm feeling cold is that there's now less fat tissue to keep me warm! ;) Also, my blood pressure is going down.

Kirsten

Taz_Zoee
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I have no idea about counting calories. Which is obvious if you were to see me. LOL
But how about a low calorie, or light, soup? Soup is always yummy when it's cold out. :) And it can be filling.

Oh and btw - congrats on losing weight!! :D :D

Kirsten
10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks! :)

Yes, soup is a good idea! I can try that! :)

Kirsten

MoonandBean
10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
You should ask your doctor about having your thyroid checked. A simple blood test can tell you if it is working correctly. Feeling cold and hungry can definitely be signs of an underactive thyroid (or it might just be that it's getting cold and you're eating less than you used to...:) but it can't hurt to check the thyroid as well)

pomtzu
10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Hmmm - so it's a chocolate fix you're craving!!! Have you tried the sugar free candy like is made especially for diabetics? How about picking up a diabetic cook book too - I've been told that there are a lot of great recipies to be found in them. I don't have a weight problem (other than needing to put some on), but that has it's definite pitfalls too!!:eek:

beeniesmom
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow, congratulations on your weight loss.
I am trying to get motivated to do the same.
What did you eat to lose it?

Yes, definately have soup to warm up.
A nice 'zuppa di fagioli' always hits the spot.
If you can't have tea, how about Chamomile? Do you tolerate that?

You are probably fine! It's just getting cold there in Germany!

jazzcat
10-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry if I'm wrong but aren't you on Thyroid medication already? Maybe it needs to be adjusted especially since you've lost so much weight.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Dress more warmly, even indoors (good slippers really help!). Snacks with protein are more filling - can you get soy wafers or snacks in addition to rice? You may have to add a little bit of fat to your diet - olive or other vegetable oils - to get you through the winter.
With your Hashimoto condition, you may need to add a few calories - but ask your doctor.

Here's info on figuring out your BMR - how many calories you actually burn:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php

English BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Remember, Kirsten - you have to do those stairs every day, and most of us don't. So remember that when you are calculating your calorie count.

The Harris Benedict Equation is a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories). The only factor omitted by the Harris Benedict Equation is lean body mass. Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs).

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Total Calorie Needs Example
If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight.

Once you know the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, you can easily calculate the number of calories you need to eat in order to gain or lose weight:

Once you know the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, you can easily calculate the number of calories you need to eat in order to gain or lose weight:

Calorie Intake to Gain Weight (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-gain-weight.php)

Calorie Intake to Lose Weight (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php)

Kirsten
10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Candice, thanks for the formulas! Looks complicted, need to figure that out! :)

You should ask your doctor about having your thyroid checked.

Sorry if I'm wrong but aren't you on Thyroid medication already?

Yes, it's true, my thyroid gland isn't working well (Hashimoto's) and I'm on medication for many years already. The last time my blood was checked (August 2008) the results were okay, but maybe the levels have changed after the weight loss. I'm actually feeling a bit hypothyroid lately because I'm very tired again.

What did you eat to lose it?

Well, I reduced fat in the first place, which means no butter on my bread, and I also stopped eating things with "hidden fat", like in many kinds of cheese. Cottage Cheese is a good alternative. Or some vegetable creams (I don't eat meat). And I'm always adding a lot of fresh salad, tomatoes or cucumber to my meals. I try to avoid frying my food, because that usually adds a lot of fat to your meal.

If you can't have tea, how about Chamomile? Do you tolerate that?

No, not at all. My stomach always feels strange after drinking tea. :(

Have you tried the sugar free candy like is made especially for diabetics?

Yes, but diabetic candy doesn't necessarily mean it's calory reduced. Usually it just replaces Sugar by fructose.

But every couple of days, I spoil myself with a tiny peace of chocolate. :)

Snacks with protein are more filling - can you get soy wafers or snacks in addition to rice?

Hmmm, good point. As I'm veggie, and don't eat much cheese, or eggs because of their fat content, it could be very well that there's a lack of protein by now...

Kirsten

Husky_mom
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
very nice charts... if I did it right I burn 1426 cal... so obviously I´m taking more than I can burn.. LOL...

sorry I have no help... but it´s a tendency towards colder climate to eat more.. to raise up the fat and hence the body warm blanket.. LOL...

Pembroke_Corgi
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the weight loss!

I have the same difficulty in the winter time. I get cold pretty easily and also hungrier as the weather gets cooler. I wear a big fluffy robe and slippers on cold days that helps, and drink plenty of hot tea. Do all hot teas bother your stomach? Maybe a nice mint tea would work. Also, I would eat snacks that are filling but low in calorie, like popcorn, which is a favorite of mine!! :)

Now that I am pregnant I feel like an elephant and probably eat like one too. My stomach is not huge or anything yet but I am absolutely starving sometimes, and it's really not pretty when I get home and need something to eat! So to answer your question, lately I eat about a million calories a day. :p

Karen
10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Kirsten, there are herbal teas that have no caffiene - none of the "tea" stuff that may be what makes you tummy feel funny. I drink a wonderful blueberry tea ... see here (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/herbal-teas/true-blueberry) - do you get "celestial seasonings" teas where you live? It's lovely, yummy and warm!

chocolatepuppy
10-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Kirsten, when I lost 35 lbs in just under 10 months a few years ago, I ate 2,000 calories a day. I have put a few back on and am trying like heck to stick to that again.:o I could never live on 1,500 calories! That's not much food. I guess it depends on a persons metabolism and also how active you are.:)

Queen of Poop
10-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Working with a nutritionist. I eat every 3 hours, 300 calories per meal. Balancing protein, carbs, and fat. Drinking lots of green and herbal teas now that it's cooler here.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Kirsten, there are herbal teas that have no caffiene - none of the "tea" stuff that may be what makes you tummy feel funny. I drink a wonderful blueberry tea ... see here (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/herbal-teas/true-blueberry) - do you get "celestial seasonings" teas where you live? It's lovely, yummy and warm!

You should come tour the factory sometime in Boulder (it is a good tour!) and we could have a Colorado pet talk meeting! :)

Kirsten, I agree that trying different kinds of herbal teas is a good idea- there is so much variety you might find something that will not irritate your stomach.

Karen
10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
You should come tour the factory sometime in Boulder (it is a good tour!) and we could have a Colorado pet talk meeting! :)

Kirsten, I agree that trying different kinds of herbal teas is a good idea- there is so much variety you might find something that will not irritate your stomach.

Oh, I'd be like a kid in a candy store. Okay, because of my allergies there are kinds I cannot drink, but still ... t'would be fun!

jennielynn1970
10-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I have no idea about counting calories. Which is obvious if you were to see me. LOL
But how about a low calorie, or light, soup? Soup is always yummy when it's cold out. :) And it can be filling.

Oh and btw - congrats on losing weight!! :D :D

You are going to get your butt kicked if you keep picking on yourself, Cindy!! You are not chubby! I've seen pics, and it's quite obvious.

I was going to mention boullion, like broth. I make that at school when I'm cold and hungry and since I buy the chicken and garlic cubes, it seems to satisfy that hungry feeling.

I also like Chai, and make that during the winter. Right now I have Pacific Chai, as they are my favorite for the pre-made chai. If I'm buying bags of it, I buy Stash or go to the Indian store. That will have more spices and herbs and not be so sweet and milky as the Pacific Chai.

Animal crackers for snacking? Graham crackers? I like crunchy stuff. I'm not a chip or pretzel person though. The animal crackers I buy are low fat, and you can eat 16 of them in a serving, more than enough to feel full and content.

I've always battled my weight. I had been at a good weight about 10 years ago, and then when I started working full time, and not exercising as much, I put on a lot. And I mean, a lot. I'm at least 85-100 lbs heavier now than I was 10-12 years ago. I hate it, and hate the way my body feels and looks. With all the food allergies I have, you'd think I'd be skinny from not eating chocolate, or icecreams or whatever, but NOOOOO, lol. I'm still fat, just from other things. I know my depression meds and such don't help with the weight loss either. I'm glad you've had such luck losing weight, good job!! I'm seeing a new family doctor, and we did a full battery of blood tests last week, and I go for a recheck this week, so hopefully we'll have some answers for my different areas of concern.

Kirsten
10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, I'm also having problems with most herbal teas, or fruit teas. I guess it's not the caffein that I don't tolerate, but some fruit acids, or essences, like in mint. One tea that I tolerate a bit better is this African rooibos tea, but it's better when I'm drinking it as an ice tea in the summer. Hot or warm teas give me nausea, it's really strange.

I tried veggie boullion last night, and that one helped. Think it's a good option, and it has only 8 calories per mug! :)

Also, my doctor advised me to reduce the dosage of my betablockers. My blood pressure is a bit low lately, which may be a reason for my cold hands and feet. (Still have to be on betablockers because of my tachycardia, it's all this crap coming from my thyroid condition).

I know my depression meds and such don't help with the weight loss either.

Yes, that makes it more difficult, but don't give up! :) A co-worker of mine thought she's never going to lose weight because she's on betablockers AND insulin. But now she has lost some pounds, too.

Kirsten

Hellow
10-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I more than likely eat more than double the calories than I burn (yes, I am trying to gain weight), and with the cold seasons approaching, they may come in handy :).