PDA

View Full Version : Do you and your SO, have the same political views......

carole
10-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I was just wondering this to myself today and thought oh why not start a thread on it, with all that is happening politically in the US of A and also with our general election taking place on November the 8th, was wondering if you and your partner share the same political views and whether you have an influence over them or they over you.

We have two main parties here National and Labour, i always support Labour, which has been our present government for nine years now, under our prime minister Helen Clarke, Labour has always been considered the working class people's party,and so far i am happy with what most of this government has been doing, no party will ever please you 100 per cent, i am even considering joining the party, now i don't profess to know much about politics or even claim to understand much of it, and when it comes to USA, well i cannot even begin to work it all out lol, but i do find it interesting all the same.

I think we shall see a new government this year, as most people just think it is time for a change, i hope not though, as i am opposed to National getting in here.

I think over the years i have had some influence on my hubby's voting, he too supports the same party, whereas in years previous he voted for some of the more outrageous parties, i always said to him if you vote for them it is a wasted vote imo, i think he has listened to that reasoning, and followed suit by making his vote count,anyhow just curious to what you all think?

sparks19
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd say that my spouse and I pretty much agree politically. I mean we have our differences here and there but in regards to any of the major points we are pretty much in agreeance. but it is fun when we do disagree to sit around and debate each other :D sometimes he wins and sometimes I win lol but in the end it ends up being a darn good conversation.

carole
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Thats the way it should be a good adult conversation or debate, nice and healthy way to communicate,great that you share more or less the same views though, it all helps.:)

Marigold2
10-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes both Steve and I agree that Bush is a numbnut and Palin is the same.

king2005
10-02-2008, 10:23 PM
An election is coming up in Canada too, so there are debates & such going on here too.

Jordan & I aren't voting for the same parties. Hes Liberal, & I'm I hate them all, so I choose to void my vote. Well I can't void it this time, as I didn't get my card & had no idea there was an election going on until it was too late. So by the time I get my card it'll be long over with. But if I was voting, I'd draw a big sad face on it :(

K9karen
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I was raised in an open minded, politically active family. Even as kids, we got used to, and enjoyed, watching the news and political debates. My folks encouraged discussion and opinions.
My parents and I supported the same party. My brother registered as an independent but is probably going to change.

My s/o John and I are on the same page. But what I hate is that he'll be the 1st one to open his big mouth and criticize and complain, and he's never voted. I have no idea what his lame excuse is, he knows my stand on that. I personally think it's a disgrace. People died, suffered, for the right to vote.

Anyway, this is the most exciting election I can remember (Kennedy vs Nixon). But I can't wait for it to be over. The suspense is too much for me.

DJFyrewolf36
10-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Both me and the hubby tend to agree although we do debate on some issues. Usually it ends up with both of us being a lot more educated. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Same opinion here too :)

sirrahbed
10-03-2008, 07:07 AM
:D Our views are very similar, we often vote the same, but have canceled one another out once or twice:cool: It does make for some good adult discussion. We do not miss any opportunity to vote. That is the important thing:love: Our three adult kids are also independent and savvy. The upcoming election is the most interesting so far to me anyway. It could go either way and remain close I think.

BTW, we generally refer to our leaders by their titles no matter what their party. Namecalling is for the Doghouse.

Interesting question, Carole:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-03-2008, 07:35 AM
:D BTW, we generally refer to our leaders by their titles no matter what their party. Namecalling is for the Doghouse.

DITTO !!:)

Glacier
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Not even close. We have radically different views on just about everything in the political realm.

My s/o John and I are on the same page. But what I hate is that he'll be the 1st one to open his big mouth and criticize and complain, and he's never voted. I have no idea what his lame excuse is, he knows my stand on that. I personally think it's a disgrace. People died, suffered, for the right to vote.

This is the only political thing Stuart has changed since we got together. Before we met, he'd never voted, but he liked to complain. If you didn't vote, I won't talk politics with you at all ever. He votes now. I suspect we cancel each other out most of the time, but that's ok. The ability to freely cast a ballot is a great privledge and one that should be exercised at every opportunity.

Logan
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
We vote the same way, but the presidential primaries showed that we did not support the same candidates. We voted in the same party, but for different candidates. Have to say, my candidate won ;). LOL!! His would have been a great candidate, as well.

Our thoughts are similar, for sure, and the meat of the issues, we agree. I guess that is why we were attracted to each other to begin with! We both are avid in exercising our rights to vote, first and foremost, even is we don't agree on the candidates.

Logan