View Full Version : McCain Pulling out of Michigan

Grace
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
This is from the Detroit Free Press -

October 2, 2008

McCain giving up on Michigan race

By TODD SPANGLER
FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

UPDATED AT 3:47 PM -- Republican presidential nominee John McCain is pulling his resources out of Michigan amid polls showing Democrat Barack Obama building on his lead in the state.

McCain campaign manager Rick Davis called former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney to tell him of the decision just before Romney got on a conference call with reporters today. Romney, who grew up in Oakland County, was holding the call with McCain strategist Doug Holtz-Eakin to raise claims that Obama’s policies are no good for Michigan’s struggling economy.

Eric Fehrnstrom, a spokesman for Romney, confirmed the call took place but wouldn’t discuss the details. “They need to do whatever they think puts them in a position to win in November,” Fehrnstrom said.

A state Republican Party source had already told the Free Press on background that McCain was pulling out of the race in the state and moving workers to Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida — the latter two being states won by President George W. Bush in 2004 that the Republican needs to hold onto if he’s going to win the White House.

Recent polls have shown Obama, however, increasing his lead in Michigan into double digits. A Detroit Free Press-Local 4 Michigan poll showed Obama with a 13-point lead last week, and today a poll by Public Policy Polling showed Obama leading McCain 51-41 in the state. Meanwhile, McCain’s earlier margins in Florida and Ohio were slipping.

Florida, in particular, is seen as key to a Republican victory, and a CNN/Time poll showed Obama leading there with a slim 51-47 lead this week.

According to the source, the Republican National Committee — which is the source of money for many of the 100 or so people working on behalf of the McCain campaign in Michigan — called state GOP Chairman Saul Anuzis this afternoon and told him the campaign would be moving workers out of the state and ceasing to buy local airtime in the state for ads.

No reason for the move was given. The McCain campaign’s Michigan spokeswoman, Sarah Lenti, wouldn’t immediately comment.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I wish he'd stop running ads in my state too! :(

Is it just my imagination or has this election been running for YEARS now? (sigh)

Hellow
10-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I wish he'd stop running ads in my state too! :(

Is it just my imagination or has this election been running for YEARS now? (sigh)

It feels like it has been going on forever and a day :rolleyes:.

beeniesmom
10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Just a little over a month and it will be OVER! No more ads in my mailbox, no more random calls from people I don't know asking my preference... I can't wait. :)

AND yes, this has been going on for years now...

beeniesmom
10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
OMG I just got ANOTHER call..... ARGGG

lizbud
10-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm a little surprised by this news. I don't watch the polls that closely,
but I knew McCain was slipping in some parts of the country.

sparks19
10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I am also more than ready to get back to my regular scheduled lame commercials. At least I don't have to deal with the phone calls... thank God for small miracles lol

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Something good about living in California! I have had NOT ONE phone call about the presidential election!

Grace
10-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Something good about living in California! I have had NOT ONE phone call about the presidential election!

Why does living in California exempt you from them?

Actually, we haven't had any in over a month. Got an automated McCain one the beginning of September. There was a number showing on my caller ID. I called it; got another recorded message. But this one gave the option of opting out of further calls. I clicked on that one - and not a call since. Never have had any from the Democratic side.

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2008, 06:25 PM

The candidates do not waste money in California as it is assumed what way the state will vote and therefore where the the Electoral votes will go.

Either that or the state just wants to do something to make me feel better about living here? :rolleyes:;)

caseysmom
10-02-2008, 07:40 PM
The candidates do not waste money in California as it is assumed what way the state will vote and therefore where the the Electoral votes will go.

Either that or the state just wants to do something to make me feel better about living here? :rolleyes:;)

I use to get them all the time not this time, guess McCain doesn't stand a chance here anyway.

RICHARD
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Becus wee ansur the phon and tri to tawk to the robut that called us.

U doo knot now just howe smart wee ar in thee greyt stayt of Cah lee fuh nee ah.

Most of the stupidity in the nation comes from our fair state. So why waste resources on us?

Grace
10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
The natives are angry and expressing themselves.

From Politico -

Mich GOP county chair calls McCain move "complete crock of crap"

Al Ribeiro, until now McCain's Michigan state director, had the unenviable task of sending out an email to Republicans in the state explaining as delicately as possible why they were pulling out.

"With 30 days before the election, the campaign must decide where it can best utilize its limited resources with the goal of winning nationally and ensuring John McCain is our next President,' Ribiero explained in an message Saturday, adding that McCain hadn't given up on the state and urging activists to keep working.

One county chair wasn't buying -- and he let Ribiero and a large list of other Michigan Republicans know in a scalding email reply.

"If you are going to end visits to the state by McCain/ Palin, do it," urged Jack Waldvogel, Chairman of the Emmet County GOP in a message obtained by Politico. "Just don't formally announce that you are 'pulling out' of Michigan, and then come back two days later asking the base core of support to 'keep working.' What a slap in the face to all the thousands of people who have been energized by the addition of Sarah Palin to the ticket. I've been involved in County Party politics and organization for 40 years, and this is the biggest dumbass stunt I have ever seen."

Waldvogel added later in the message: "He has given up on our State? What a total and complete crock of crap. Again, I think McCain owes the Republicans and the People of Michigan a HUGE APOLOGY. SOON!"

Having to pick and choose which states to compete in is always difficult and bound to leave bruised local feelings, but Michigan is used to being a target state and McCain had lavished attention there since wrapping up the nomination. And Palin's public second-guessing of the move in the days since the decision was made has only angered Michiganders more.

"How on earth are we to get people to work for McCain here, when he has already, publicly, in the media, given up on Michigan?" wondered Waldvogel. "We feel abandoned, we are disappointed, and we are heartsick to know that we aren't important enough for him to fight for."

He signed off his message: "Yours in Republican? efforts"