PDA

View Full Version : Need input on giving subQ fluids...

emily_the_spoiled
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Okay, my poor Oliver was finally diagnosed with cystisis and I have to give him subQ fluids everyday until it is cleared up. I can do that, but here is my problem. I have to go away on business in a couple of weeks and I am not sure he will be finished the course of therapy by that time. Usually I get my neigbhor and his sons to come in and feed and play with the cats. It is WAY to much to ask him to do something like that. Unfortunately my vet does not offer boarding facilities and many facilities will not do this.

I can not cancel the trip because we are spending 2 days meeting with a variety of people. So I am looking for options.
1. I can change my hotel reservation to one that does accept pets and bring him with me, so I can treat him on the road. (He travels will and is very friendly).
2. I am only gone for 3 day, so he could go without fluids while I am gone
3. One of the techs in the vet's office said she would be willing to drop by and give him fluids (I am less than a mile from the office).

Does anyone have other suggestions or thoughts?

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Of your options I think #3 would be my choice. That way he can stay in his home where he's comfortable and no stress and still get his fluids plus if anything doesn't seem right the vet tech will be watching and could take him in.

Husky_mom
10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
IŽll go with either 1 or 3... are these days the last days of treatment?... maybe by then you wonŽt need them anymore... but in case you do those would be my picks..

moosmom
10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I'd go with #3. Hey, the tech volunteered. This way you know the fluids are being administered properly, as you're unsure.

If you want to take him on the road with you, just have the tech show you how to sub-Q.

emily_the_spoiled
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't worry, I am already giving him the subQ fluids by myself at home (which he is not happy about :rolleyes:). By the time I have to travel we will be into this for a couple of weeks and hopefully just about at the end of it.

catmandu
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
If he gets along with the Vet Technician , thenI would go with that option, as it will be easier for a trained professional to give out the Meds.
I know how worried you will be while you are gone, so a few Pet Talker Angels will drop by and mew the fat.:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd also go with #3. That sounds like the best solution. And you could get a little something for the vet tech as a thank you, of course. It's always fun buying for other animal lovers. :)

kb2yjx
10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Definitely go with the vet tech!!

Medusa
10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I'd go w/#3. A vet tech is trained, knows what she's doing, it'll be easier and less stressful on Oliver and, therefore, on you.

shepgirl
10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I'll vote for # 3 also. What better than to have a trained proffessional come in for you.

emily_the_spoiled
10-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Okay I will ask the tech, thanks for the input. I just wanted someone else's opinion on this.

Part of me doesn't want to leave him alone, but I know that is just me being paranoid and he will be fine (besides I am only gone 2.5 days)