PDA

View Full Version : I'm so disappointed *Update 10/8* see #29

Medusa
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I received the final bill from my vet for Puddy today. No sympathy card, just a bill. My other vet, the local one, even sent me a card and her office never even treated Puddy. I went there only for her bags of Ringers lactate, etc. I'm hoping that perhaps I just haven't received the card yet but it would seem to me that if they were going to send one, they would've sent it the same day as the bill. My feelings are really hurt. I've spent well over $30,000.00 at that office in less than 4 years. Am I making a big deal out of this? Am I too sensitive right now? I usually can blow things off but I'm having a tough time w/this one.

Karen
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Medusa, could it be the billing department/person is separate from the people who actually treated Puddy, and just doesn't know? Many small businesses have their accounts/billing handled by a contractor who specializes in that sort of thing, so the money person might not have any idea of the circumstances ... just saying.

Cataholic
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
While I would think you are very fragile right now, as would be me in your situation, I do not think you are overreacting. I found a stray, which turned out to be pregnant, and had either FeLv or something else. I took her to my vet...someone my family had used for 40 or so years, truly. He charged me the full bill, the euthansia bill, too- knowing this was a stray, not one of my cats. That was my last visit to that vet.

I am so sorry that you recieved what I consider an insult on top of the loss of Puddy. My condolances again.
Johanna

Medusa
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Medusa, could it be the billing department/person is separate from the people who actually treated Puddy, and just doesn't know? Many small businesses have their accounts/billing handled by a contractor who specializes in that sort of thing, so the money person might not have any idea of the circumstances ... just saying.

Could be. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because I love everyone in that office. I'll give it a little more time but if I don't receive some message of condolence, I'm going to have to say something.

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Karen may be right. When Disney died I received a personal sympathy card from my vet about a week later and then about week or so after that I got a card from the Humane Society telling me the vet hospital had made a donation in her name.

kb2yjx
10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Mary, I think Karen has made a very good point. Taking a wait and see is a good way to go!

lvpets2002
10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Mary, I think Karen has made a very good point. Taking a wait and see is a good way to go!

:) I have to agree also.. Mary your in a bigg city right.. So I would just stay calm for a bit.. Now after a few weeks yes then just make a statement of to the clinic You All Did Know Puddy Pass Away && then see the reactions..

Medusa
10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
:) Mary your in a bigg city right

Ha! No, I'm in a small rural community and the clinic is in a town that isn't much larger. I won't be rude or attack or anything; that isn't my style. I guess I just got offended when I received the bill but not a card, especially when my other vet sent a card and her office never even treated Puddy. I've learned not to jump the gun, which is why I asked for opinions first. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my relationship w/that clinic. No worries. :)

Taz_Zoee
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I think Karen has a good point. When our Cocker, DJ, passed away he was at the surgery center. We got a card from the surgery center and then several weeks later we received one from our regular vet.

Give it some time. And then if you feel like it say something.

moosmom
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
When I had to have Lil Liam euthanized, I got a simpathy card a couple of weeks later. Give 'em somemore time. Then I would also mention it.

carole
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Mary i hope you will get a sympathy card from them, if not well that is pretty darn insensitive isn't it? let us hope it arrives soon, coz i understand how hurt your feelings are, mine would be too.

momtomany
10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I agree with everyone to wait and see, but I can understand how your feelings would be hurt. Let's just hope the bill came before the sympathy card, but saying something about it, if a card doesn't come, would be appropriate.

GILL
10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
With ET's passing we got a card a week after from the vet were took her to be cemated. Yesterday we got one from our regular vet.
Time will tell.

catmandu
10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I was dissapointed after Precious passed on and I got no card from My Vet at all.
We had a donation in her nmae to the Animal Welfare which was very nice,
I find that these sort of niceities are falling by the wayside sadly enough, even the Churches are getting rather impersonal.:(:(

pomtzu
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Under the circumstances I'd be hurt too! But like others said - give it a little while before you say anything.

Freedom
10-02-2008, 04:58 PM
My vet doesn't send bills, never heard of that! Have to pay up front.

Anyhow, the billing dept / bookkeeper would be the one sending the bill. The techs and vets are the ones who send out cards from my vet. Hope this helps.

Medusa
10-02-2008, 05:59 PM
My vet doesn't send bills, never heard of that! Have to pay up front.

Anyhow, the billing dept / bookkeeper would be the one sending the bill. The techs and vets are the ones who send out cards from my vet. Hope this helps.

Well, this was different, considering the circumstances. Normally I have to pay as I go.

Sevaede
10-03-2008, 12:05 AM
My vet, from when I used to live in Eastern Oregon, would send out cards exactly two weeks after. I think it's only because of gentle consideration. :) They want to give you time, it seems. :)

Also, they are very, very thoughtful! Usually everyone signs it (even their maintenance guy!) and puts a message in it. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
I never got anything when my Sydney passed away... ; Guess my vet was to embarrased .. ; Well, she couldn't help it, it was my previous vet who told me that Sydney didn't need any meds for his heart YET :rolleyes::eek:

Medusa
10-03-2008, 07:16 AM
As I said, I guess it wouldn't bother me if I hadn't gotten the final bill so quickly. They didn't waste any time sending that out. I'll wait a while just in case the person who does the billing is separate from the one who sends out condolences, etc.

jazzcat
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
As I said, I guess it wouldn't bother me if I hadn't gotten the final bill so quickly. They didn't waste any time sending that out.
Keep in mind that we just ended the month and most places do their billing at that time. Probably why you got a bill so quickly. I really wouldn't hold that against them even though it seems very insensitive. I'd say billing was just doing their job and are probably unaware of any circumstances.

Medusa
10-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I received the newsletter today but still no condolence card. I find it difficult to believe that there were that many deaths at the clinic that they couldn't find the time to send out a card. I'm normally a patient person and I quickly forgive, especially if it's an oversight. Offices are busy places, especially vet offices. Still, right now I'm feeling like a number but I guess I shouldn't assume that my Puddy was special to anyone but me. (and my PT family) I'll give it another week.

Emeraldgreen
10-05-2008, 12:17 AM
I too would give it another week but if you don't receive one, I agree, that is very disappointing. Puddy was back and forth from the hospital so many times (and for years I'm assuming), especially in the last few months. And the fact that you have spent 30,000 at one hospital over the years should have you at the top of the client list. A wing of the hospital should be named after Puddy!!
I sent a thank you card to both the clinics that dealt with Tiger and received theirs in the same week. Maybe you could send one and say something like "Just wanted to say thanks for everything. I received a very kind card from the other hospital that hardly knows me. It meant alot. Perhaps yours got lost in the mail?" ;)
I do hope that you get a card soon. I think for the most part, it is standard for clinics to send them out and because Puddy was such a regular customer with a mom who spared nothing to help her, it would amaze me if they didn't send one. Maybe it was an office slip up, one receptionist thought another had handled it kind of thing but it should be brought to their attention in a few weeks if nothing happens.

Catty1
10-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Again, Mary - not to excuse anything - but newsletters are generally in preparation for a couple of weeks minimum, especially in a busy office, and then sent out. I suspect most of the articles in it are a bit "dated"?

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-05-2008, 06:51 AM
I too would give it another week but if you don't receive one, I agree, that is very disappointing. Puddy was back and forth from the hospital so many times (and for years I'm assuming), especially in the last few months. And the fact that you have spent 30,000 at one hospital over the years should have you at the top of the client list. A wing of the hospital should be named after Puddy!!
I sent a thank you card to both the clinics that dealt with Tiger and received theirs in the same week. Maybe you could send one and say something like "Just wanted to say thanks for everything. I received a very kind card from the other hospital that hardly knows me. It meant alot. Perhaps yours got lost in the mail?" ;)
I do hope that you get a card soon. I think for the most part, it is standard for clinics to send them out and because Puddy was such a regular customer with a mom who spared nothing to help her, it would amaze me if they didn't send one. Maybe it was an office slip up, one receptionist thought another had handled it kind of thing but it should be brought to their attention in a few weeks if nothing happens.

I already had a thank you card prepared and was going to put my check in w/it but I held off until I see if I get a condolence card. I guess I'm just spoiled by my old vet who retired. When my dog Charmin died, he was out of town and he felt horrible that he wasn't here for me. He even hand wrote a two page letter to me. I've always said that my new vet is not warm and fuzzy but it still hurts. When my cat Peeka died, I hadn't found this clinic yet but the one that I did go to sent me a card w/in days and each person on staff signed the card. I usually let things go and try not to dwell on them but this is just bugging me.

Medusa
10-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I did the most pathetic thing last night. I looked under my bed for Puddy. In the last couple of months, if she wasn't sleeping in the bathtub, she was under my bed or hers. It was only the last two days of her life after I started her on the B vitamins that she hopped up into bed w/me then went into her carrier to sleep. I knew she wasn't under my bed, obviously, but I felt that if I looked for her that she'd be there and all this would be a dream. It looked like a desert under my bed; I had grown so accustomed to lying on the floor, reaching under there and stroking her, saying "Nite, Puddy Tat. Sure you don't want to come up in bed w/Mommy?" and she would purr like crazy but stayed there to sleep. I've been doing fairly well up until last night. TV has become my good friend now. Instead of keeping me awake, it lulls me to sleep. Sometimes.

pomtzu
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I already had a thank you card prepared and was going to put my check in w/it but I held off until I see if I get a condolence card.

Mary - are you certain that this vet even sends condolence cards?? - some don't. But you would think with the mega bucks you have spent there over the past few years, that even if it's not a "regular" practice - someone there could pick up a card or even send a handwritten note to you. Is it a big practice? Sometimes the big ones are a lot less personal than the small town ones. :(

Medusa
10-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Mary - are you certain that this vet even sends condolence cards?? - some don't. But you would think with the mega bucks you have spent there over the past few years, that even if it's not a "regular" practice - someone there could pick up a card or even send a handwritten note to you. Is it a big practice? Sometimes the big ones are a lot less personal than the small town ones. :(

No, I'm not certain. Puddy is the first pet I've lost since going to his practice. I'll give it another week.

Medusa
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I received a sympathy card from Dr. Lee's office today, hand signed by all the vets. Dr. Lee's was the 3rd signature and he included a scripture, Job 12:10 which says "In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind". The picture on the front of the card is of a calico who looks so much like Puddy that at first I thought they had taken a photo of her and transferred it to the front of the card. Puddy was unusually tiny and topped out at 5 lbs. and the cat in this pic is just as tiny. Well, I feel better now and I'll be sure to send a nice note to Dr. Lee and his staff.

jazzcat
10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm glad you got it Mary and it sounds like they took the time to find just the right card in memory of your special girl.

Emeraldgreen
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I received a sympathy card from Dr. Lee's office today, hand signed by all the vets. Dr. Lee's was the 3rd signature and he included a scripture, Job 12:10 which says "In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind". The picture on the front of the card is of a calico who looks so much like Puddy that at first I thought they had taken a photo of her and transferred it to the front of the card. Puddy was unusually tiny and topped out at 5 lbs. and the cat in this pic is just as tiny. Well, I feel better now and I'll be sure to send a nice note to Dr. Lee and his staff.

I'm so glad to hear that you received a card. I do know that in most clinics a whole stack of cards is passed around and everybody pre-signs them so when it comes time for the receptionists to send them out, they're already signed. But in your case, Dr. Lee, handwriting a scripture, shows that he specifically wrote with Puddy in mind and that is so great!!! And so he should. Awesome! :D And the fact that they picked a card that so closely resembles your girl shows condsideration. How wonderful!

Anikaca77
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm glad you received a card, it's very hard I know.

Not many people are saying much to me today, I think they know but some I think don't know.

My sister sent me flowers today and that touched me but I'm trying to keep it together here at work.

Melissa

catmandu
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
The Aniaml Welafe Sent Cards When Precious The Purrfect And Almond Rocca The Awesome Passed On, And Madea 20 Dollar Contribution In Thier Names.
That Was Nice.
Our Ves Never Sent A Card , But Thats Like Many Things Becoming Passe' With Life Moving So Fast.
That Nice To Have That As A Rememberance Of Puddy, And Thats Her Spirit Visting You With Some Poor Lsot Cats Who Never Had A Home.
See, This Is My Home And Heres My Meeowmie.
I Know She Misses Me,but We Will Take Her To Our Special Place In Hawaii When We Meet Again.
One Fine Day.

Moesha
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
So nice that not only did they send a card but one that was carefully chosen for Puddy.

Medusa
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
So nice that not only did they send a card but one that was carefully chosen for Puddy.

I want to believe that it was chosen for Puddy but they have an office cat who is a big calico girl. They're partial to calicos there. I'm not finding fault, though. I appreciate the card and the fact that the calico on the front of it looked so much like Puddy made it that much sweeter. I really think they miss her, too. They'd always laugh at her in her healthier days because when I'd leave, I'd say "Tell everyone what you think of Dr. Lee" and she'd hiss and it would crack everyone up. And when Dr. Lee would call to check on her if she was in hospital, they'd say "Well, she's hissing and growling" and he'd say "That's all I needed to hear". She definitely left her impression in this world. On this chilly, gray, rainy day I wish I could stroke her fur while she laid on my chest as I watched TV. One fine day, as Gary would say.

phesina
10-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh, I'm so glad to hear this, Mary. And it does sound as though Dr. Lee picked that Scripture verse especially with you and Puddy in mind. And this will be a beloved keepsake to remind you of her and all you did together and the wonderful, special love you and she share forever.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and the gang

Medusa
10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh, I'm so glad to hear this, Mary. And it does sound as though Dr. Lee picked that Scripture verse especially with you and Puddy in mind. And this will be a beloved keepsake to remind you of her and all you did together and the wonderful, special love you and she share forever.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and the gang

Yes, I think that I may frame the card. It's really special. If I thought my scanner would pick it up clearly, I'd scan and post it so that you could see how much the calico on the cover of the card looks like Puddy.