PDA

View Full Version : BIG change in my life....

kt_luvs_kitties
10-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I have held off posting anything yet, because I did not know for sure I was going to do it, and if it would work out.

I am going back to school. I am going to be a substitute teacher and/or teacher assistant. My mother has been a teacher for about, 35 years now. I dont like kids much, BUT I think I can handle them ok. I am getting better with handling them, and not getting annoyed SO fast anymore.

It would give me flexibility (which I need with this many pets) and holidays off.

I cant work at a vets anymore, it just does not pay enough. AND you work holidays, weekends, sometimes 20+ hours straight. Since I only have about a year of medical training, I cant do anything with that, and it wasnt for me. So only thing left is a receptionist or hard labor (not for me!)

My aunt is watching my grandmother, so I dont have to do that anymore, except on occasion.

So, In late October, school starts, and things are going to change in my life. Less money while in school, and less time for the pets. I feel guilty, but I hope it pays off soon enough.

I just wanted to tell my PT family about what I am doing. WISH ME LUCK!!!:D

Karen
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Good luck - the world needs all the teachers it can get!

jazzcat
10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Good luck Katie. I had to laugh at your "don't like kids much" comment.

Hope this works out well for you.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
LOL Lori, I know, it sounds bad.

I LOVED kids until about 18, when the love of my life (a 6 year old I babysat and cared for since the day he was born) moved away. I was completely heartbroken. It still hurts to think about.

After that, I found kids annoying, loud, and demanding.

I am getting better though, really!

It has to atleast be an honorable job, not like it pays a ton:rolleyes:

Who knows, maybe after I work there, it will change my mind about not having a child... My husband is dying to start a family, I am apprehensive to say the least. I like having money, I wanna keep it:rolleyes::p;)

Thank you Karen!

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Well at least you did love them so maybe this will bring you back around. I've always found kids kind of annoying - even as a kid myself, LOL. My mom said I told her as young as 6 years old that I would never have children. Of course some days taking care of my Dad I feel like I have a 86 year old child.:rolleyes:
I bet you'll do well.

Sevaede
10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Wow! That is way cool Katie! :D Congratulations and all the luck! :D

jennielynn1970
10-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Good luck Katie!

I hope you start liking kids, because the worst thing that a student can encounter to make their school lives harder is having a teacher or assistant that doesn't like kids. Seriously, if you find you don't like them, do them a favor and find another vocation. We have way too many teachers out there that should be in a different field. I love the kids I work with (middle school, at the moment), I'm just not a fan of the teachers in middle school. Elementary was definitely more my cup of tea. It was a much more positive environment.

I'm hoping you find that you do like kids, or that maybe you can work in a vocational school where the kids are because they want to be there, or find an assistant job where you don't have to deal directly with the kids all the time.

Freedom
10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Best wishes in your new venture, Katie! You will do fine, I think.

Taz_Zoee
10-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Kids are not so bad. Especially since they go home with their parents and not with you. :p I worked with children for 12 years and at times I miss it. I miss the rewarding aspect of it. When a child does something for the first time and their little face lights up. Then I realize that I taught them to do that. And the hugs they give you. I found that the children who were in trouble the most were the ones who liked me more.
While I do not have children of my own, and probably never will, I will always remember my experience and there are kids I'll never forget. Who knows, maybe someday I'll go back into that field.

Go in with an open mind, Katie. Think of how you are playing a huge part in that childs life and the things you do can make a difference in what kind of adult that child becomes. Teachers are shaping the future.
Wow, I'm starting to sound like a public service announcement. Anyway, you can do it Katie!! :D :D

moosmom
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I wish you the best of luck, Katie. You'll do very well, I'm SURE!!!

critters
10-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Sounds like a good idea! I'm curious, though, why you need to go to school to be either a sub or an aide? Around here, anybody that breathes and passes the background check can be a sub, and No Child Left Behind says you can take the ParaPro test to be an aide, if you don't have enough credits. I have to say it's a GOOD idea to take a few classes, though, especially if you, like me, have NO clue what to do about behavior management. Some people seem to be born with that knowledge; sadly, I'm not one of them. :confused:

GILL
10-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I love to spoil kids, as long as thier not mine. Good luck and well wishs.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 10:31 AM
You go, girl!

Good luck! How long will this take? Will you be able to take a break and work more days every so often?

I know that one little boy broke your heart...but he had to go with Mommy and Daddy. I bet you will find another little one - or many! - that will open you up to finish grieving, and to love again. :love::)

{{{{hugs}}}}

Pembroke_Corgi
10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Congrats on deciding to go back to school! That is a wonderful decision. :)

However, I would suggest that you spend some time in the classroom before you devote a lot of time and money towards something you may not like. I think it's very important to like children if you work with them- they can tell if you are not "into" the job and will respond in kind! (I am currently teaching 1st grade).

Also, I think in all states you need at least a bachelor's degree to get a sub license (due to NCLB), while you really only need a high school diploma to be a teacher's aide. I'd encourage you to apply for a teacher's aide position now if you are interested in that.