PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Parties

Sirrahsim
10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Are you going to have/go to one? I'm tossing around the idea of having one but I am NOT a social person and don't know a whole lot of people outside of my husband's job.
In my head I see us having it start at 8ish and serving appetizers and stuff... but then I've never actually BEEN to a Halloween party so I don't know what people expect.

What do you expect from a Halloween party?

Twisterdog
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Depends on what the group is like.

The traditional adult halloween party involves costumes and lots of alcohol. Went to a LOT of those in my 20's, a few in my 30's and now you couldn't PAY me to go to one. LOL

The parents' halloween party involves adults, generally in costume, taking all their kids trick or treating, having some kid games maybe, and just hanging out, eating, answering the door and chatting while the kids play. Went to a LOT of these in my 30's.

If you really want to do something different and worthwhile, you could have a "Treats, No Tricks" party. We had several of these for various charities I volunteered with over the years. You pick a charity to support, ours was usually the local humane society. You go around to local businesses and ask for small donations ... pens, keychains, gift certificates, etc. Then you get a group together at your house, have some food and chit chat first, then you go door to door in costume. You tell people you are collecting treats for Charity-of-Your-Choice, and have a labeled coffee can for donations. Then you give them a treat ... one of the small prizes from the businesses. It's a lot of fun, people love it, and you can get a lot of money for a good cause. Its a good idea to advertise this in your local paper first, so people know it's legitimate.

Taz_Zoee
10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
We had Halloween parties in 2005 and 2006. Last year it didn't work due to a birthday conflict in the family. This year I want to have one but Bruce just informed me today that he doesn't feel up to it. :rolleyes::mad:
In 2005 Bruce bought a few decorations and then became inspired and it snowballed from there. So we basically have the ability to have a haunted house, practically.
At our parties we have just appetizers and drinks. But we also had a costume contest. We just went to Safeway and purchased three (or four) gift cards to different places in different amounts. Have the categories picked out before the party. For example, most original, scariest, sexiest, funniest, etc.
The first year I think Bruce and I voted. The next year the guests voted for each category. It was a lot of fun.
We have a music studio set up in the house, always. So we have jam sessions, singing and karaoke to do. The rest just takes care of itself. FUN FUN FUN!!! :D :D