PDA

View Full Version : Puddy and I thank you

Medusa
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
How wonderful it is to know that I have such caring friends who would take the time to reach out through the miles to comfort someone whom they've never met and probably never will. It's been like a healing balm to me.

Everywhere I turn, I keep looking and listening for Puddy, either to meet her fiery eyes or hear her paws tapping on the floor or to hear her crunching on some Cat Chow. It was tough applying my makeup this morning because I had become accustomed to seeing her sitting on the countertop, watching me intently as if to say "That's really your color, Mom". Even taking a bath or shower is sad right now because she spent so many of her last days in there. And, of course, when I go to bed and she doesn't hop up there w/me, well, the lump in my throat still hasn't left.

Today when I left the house I called out my standard goodbye to the Fur Posse, telling them where I was going and when I'd be back, finishing up with "Puddy, watch the house for Mommy!" Instant tears. And tonight when I tucked everyone in and said "I love you", I followed up w/another tradition: it sounds like Walton's Mountain as I call out each name one by one: "'Night Peekie, 'night Boo Bear, 'night Pidgie, 'night Cgirl, 'night Speckers, 'night Yodie Yodie, 'night Coco Puff. Puddy's gonna sleep w/Mommy! Right, Pud?" More tears. I let them flow unashamedly. I don't attempt to hold them back because, not only are they healing, they're my way of letting Puddy know that she wasn't "just a cat". She was my Shnorky, my buddy, my bunky and my best friend. Most importantly, she was my teacher. She taught me by example to never ever give up. She surely didn't, and I won't dishonor her 14 years of life by giving up.

The following is a poem that someone sent to me in an email when I was struggling w/my conscience as to whether or not I should help Puddy to the Rainbow Bridge. May it comfort you if and when your hour comes to help your special ones to make that trip. Thank you, my friends, for the collective hand that you all extended to me to ease my pain. A burden shared is a burden lightened.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle cannot be won
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grief stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest,
your love for me must stand the test
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer so
the time has come to let me go,
Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me until the end
I know in time that you will see
the kindness that you did for me
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved
Please do not grieve, it must be you
who had this painful thing to do
We've been so close, we two, these years
Don't let your heart hold back its tears

Author unknown

carole
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
That poem is beautiful Mary, and i fear i will be in need of it.

I am thinking of you, and am glad that you are letting it all out, cry your'e heart out, it is the best thing you can do,it is amazing how they become so much a part of you and your'e everyday life isn't it? and although the times are sad for you now in time you will beable to smile at the memory of Puddy, there will be something special that will remind you of her and you will feel yourself smiling,i know right now your heart is aching and i am giving you a big virtual hug ,just know we are always here for you when the times get tough, take care and much love.:love::love:

RICHARD
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I am sorry to hear about your pain. Am sending thoughts and good vibes to you and your household.

Thank care friend!:(

kt_luvs_kitties
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
:(I did not know your Puddy passed. I am so sorry:(

*tender hugs* sent from me and my kitties, and wet nose licks from the pups. I can not imagine the pain you are going through:(

RIP sweet Puddy

Queen of Poop
09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Lovely poem. Puddy will always be with you in Spirit. Letting out the emotion will help with your healing. More hugs for you.

orangemm
10-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Mary, I am so sorry for your loss of your dear Puddy. I know she was your :love: kitty and that makes the loss more difficult.

(((hugs))) to you. Puddy is now at the RB, waiting patiently for you.

We're here for you................

kb2yjx
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Mary, this is the hard part when we love a special creature that God sent to us for awhile to care for. Keeping you close in thoughts and prayers....

catmandu
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
:love:SO FAR MY CATS ARE FINE, BUT WITH 5 FOUND CATS OVER 15, I KNOW THAT I AM IN FOR SOME HEARTBREAKS , HOPEFULLY I CAN HAVE AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE WITH MY DEAR ONES.:love::love::love:
AND OUR CONDOLENCES ON YOUR LOSS OF PURRFECT PUDDY.
BUT WE KNOW THAT YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY REUNION ONE FINE DAY.

Kirsten
10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
The poem is so beautiful and sad - and full of love! :love:

I can feel your pain through your post, and I'm so sorry for your loss! The first days, when the mind has not yet realized that a loved one is no longer there, are the worst.

(((HUGS))))

Kirsten

MoonandBean
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I too am so sorry to hear of your loss! I am just now seeing that Puddy has passed on to RB. You are such a tremendous mother to your family and I know how very blessed of a life they all have and have had. I am always so happy for any animal who knew a life of love and care as there are so many who don't get that. Please take comfort in knowing what a wonderful life Puddy had and how very blessed he was.

nancys
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Did not know about Puddy - I am sorry. The poem is very nice - hope it helped. I had checked out a copy of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover at our local library. One of the stories was about the Rainbow Bridge and it's meaning, and would be comforting I think to anyone who has lost a pet. Take care and while it is hard to lose our pets you did the right thing.

Donnaj4962
10-01-2008, 05:37 PM
What a beautiful poem. I know that it must bring confort to you, as all of the words ring so true. Bless you, and many (((hugs))) to you and your posse.

phesina
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Hugs and purrs of comfort and love to you and all your family from us. What lovely little daily routines you describe that you have with your kids! And then when you go through them again today you are suddenly reminded of the one that is no longer there.

She is with you in spirit and will be always.

Rest in peace, dearest Puddy. I know Priscilla is showing you around and joining in the big Welcome party for you at the Bridge!

Love,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Bob

moosmom
10-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Keep on telling Puddy to watch the house cuz she's there. Maybe not physically, but in Spirit.

:love: and HUGS to you Mary.

Donna

Medusa
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Keep on telling Puddy to watch the house cuz she's there. Maybe not physically, but in Spirit.

:love: and HUGS to you Mary.

Donna

Thank you, Donna. I may call you tomorrow just to chat a bit. I still feel rather lost. I'm so used to getting Puddy's meds all lined up in the morning, getting her bag ready for her subQ and her syringe ready for her shot. It's taking some getting used to but I'm doing better every day.

Last night I was watching TV in bed, my usual routine except that Puddy wasn't there w/me. She'd always hop up in bed, get her noggin noogie, then go to the bottom of the bed and lie on the throw or, when she started to go downhill, she'd go under my bed. I have hardwood floors so I could easily hear her moving around and listen for her paws tapping. Well, I heard it last night. I quickly muted the TV and listened and heard it again. I waited to see if I'd hear it a third time but I didn't. I'm still convinced it was Puddy telling me that she's w/me in spirit. I'm not a psychologist but I know how our minds can play tricks on us, especially if we're grieving or fearful. However, I truly believe that the spirit lives on in animals as well as humans and Puddy knows how long that walk up the stairs has become at night, just knowing that she isn't up there waiting for me. Sometimes she would meow as if to say "Hey Mom, I've got a noggin noogie coming. Get up here!" I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything; just letting you know that my little girl is w/me and I know that I'll see or hear more signs even still because this is the time of year when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest. I moved her photo to a place beside my front door so that she can still be the Great Protectress that she has always been.

ETA: Thanx for the call, Donna. You beat me to it, girlfriend. I love PT.

Bengalz
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Puddy will be with you always and yes, I do believe her spirit is present :) My RB Kitties show their presence from time to time and I have learned to understand and appreciate that miracle. It is truly a wonderful thing:)