PDA

View Full Version : Is this Legit? Wolf-dog breeder

Alysser
09-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I've always been fascinated with Wolf-dogs. NO, I'm most likely not getting one but I just wanted to know what you thought of this. It just seems kind of weird breeding wolf-dogs- I've never heard of it till seeing this site. It looks reputable to me, I would imagine they don't sell WOLF dogs to just anyone.

http://www.wolfhybrids.com/main.htm

shepgirl
09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Out here it's been illegal for anyone to breed a dog with a wolf for ages. It was common practice for those living in very remote rural places to tie a husky or shepherd bitch in heat outside so that they would get bred by a wolf. But with all the accidents and aggressiveness these wolf pups brought, laws were set in place to stop this.
I took a look at the site, most of the dogs seem to be a mix of husky / Shepherd. We have a lot of those around here, people breed the two for more stamina for mushing in winter. From the looks of these dogs they are almost identical to the ones I see here. They have one dog that is simply a white shepherd with bad conformation and also the black. I don't think they have any way of proving they have wolf blood in them. There's a place in B.C. that breeds similar stuff, they been investigated quite a few times, don't know if they were closed down or not I didn't follow the story that closely.I don't recall the name of the place, if I think of it I'll send you the link.

Twisterdog
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
It is illegal to own a wolf hybrid in the state I live in.

However, in the state I used to live in, it was not. My neighbor had two of them. They lived in the back yard in a literal fortress. They never came out. It was positively depressing to hear them howling mournfully back there.

We used to get them in at the shelter there on a fairly regular basis. Without fail, every one had to be euthanized for behavioral issues. The director of the shelter described the problem quite well. A wolf is big, strong, powerful and wild. It has the definate prey drive of a predator, as is fitting. However, wolves are shy and afraid of humans. A dog is domesticated, friendly, tame, and generally smaller. Dogs are not shy, and not afraid of humans, as a rule. When the two are interbred, the animal that results seems to get the strength and prey drive of the wolf ... coupled with the lack of fear of humans of the dog. This is not a good combination, and it's always the animal that pays the ultimate price.

It always just infuriates me to hear people say, "Ooooh, I love wolves. They are so cool. I can relate to wolves, they are my favorite animal. I want to own one." What?? If you love, admire and respect a wild animal, what in the world would you want to take one from its natural environment, cage it, and try to make it into a domestic animal? We already have a domestic canine ... it's called a dog.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
It is not illegal in my state with a license.

I would not recommend ANYONE get a wolf or hybird without TONS of research!

Anyways, they are beautiful;)

Glacier
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a reputable wolf-dog breeder. Regardless of the legality of it, I don't think these hybrids should be bred anywhere. Really, they are mutts and most people on this board have condemed breeders who intentionally breed mutts, like cockapoos and labradoodles. These mutts just happen to have extreme special needs and serious temperment issues.

I own a hybrid. I adore her, but she is an extremely difficult dog. She's hard to contain, hard to control, impossible to keep with any other dog. I want Kayleigh to live a long, happy, healthy life, but I also never want another dog like her!

wolf_Q
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
It always just infuriates me to hear people say, "Ooooh, I love wolves. They are so cool. I can relate to wolves, they are my favorite animal. I want to own one." What?? If you love, admire and respect a wild animal, what in the world would you want to take one from its natural environment, cage it, and try to make it into a domestic animal? We already have a domestic canine ... it's called a dog.

I completely agree. I LOVE wolves...they have been my favorite animal since I was a young child. I used to dream of having a wolf as a pet. But I realized that wolves are wild animals and its not right to try to make them into a pet, they are better off in their natural environment. I do not agree with anyone breeding wolves or wolf-hybrids for pets, so no I do no think that or any other breeder is reputable. There are a few people (like Glacier) that are capable of handling a wolf-hybrid, but your average person is not, and that is generally who are aquiring these animals...people that have no idea how to handle them.

Honestly I have met several wolf hybrids and they all have been wonderful animals, but they all were owned by people who know how to handle them. I've (obviously) gone with siberian huskies as they are more like wolves than most dogs. I still wonder about having a wolf hybrid one day...but it would only be if I had a lot of land and time to work with one, and it would be a rescued one that was in need of a home...I would not support anyone breeding them.

I don't know if its legal here or not, but I see wolf-hybrids advertised in the classifieds all the time. They sell to anyone who will pay the price they are asking. I've groomed a few low content wolf-hybrids too.

pitc9
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree as well, I love wolves, but they belong in the wild.

I have a friend that has always had wolfdogs, I don't visit her house very often because it makes me so sad to see them in their pen. She's always gotten her wolves from the same "breeder".
Her male she has now is about 7 years old and Phoenix is a SWEETHEART he is a very high content wolf.
When you go in the wolf pen he rolls over for belly rubs!! HE also sits, rolls over, gives paw. He's a smart cookie!

I have to laugh becuase Phoenix will let my hubby pet him but Buddy still won't!

AdoreMyDogs
10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Well, it's Legit, in that they are indeed wolf hybrids, but it's not moral nor is it responsible to breed and sell wild animals to the general public. It's a shame that people breed wild animals and pass them off as pets. They are NOT pets, no matter how pretty they are. Yuck and shame on the folks doing this wild animal hybrid breeding.

Alysser
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to say I'd ever get a wolf-dog. I guess if one came along in my life somehow and it was the right time but I don't think I could ever just buy one like that from a breeder. I wouldn't be able to handle something that is not like a regular dog and while they are awesome I would NEVER own one unless I had to, like if my neighbor was abusing his or something. I know most states outlaw them now, but Florida doesn't really outlaw any crazy pets.

They lived in the back yard in a literal fortress. They never came out. It was positively depressing to hear them howling mournfully back there

That is so sad :( Poor babies.

Freedom
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Wolf hybrids are not legal here in RI, either. I can't remember which state, but the Governor's son lives in a state where you can own them. He has 3, and brought them with, when he came to visit his folks. And promptly was "caught" by the media, so had to cut his visit short and return home with them.

As for wolves, I do find them fascinating, and I enjoy learning about them, and watching documentaries on them. There have been several studies of wolves which have helped people understand why our dogs do some of the things they do.

One study kept some wolves in captivity, with constant human contact. Have you ever noticed that wild canines (wolves, coyotes, etc.) have little and no white markings? Within 11 generations, the puppies where showing up almost half white. Fascinating!

dreamparkingspace
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd probably be a little afraid of a wolf hybrid. I remember on National Geographic show called "Science of Dogs" there was a segment at the end where they tried to show the differences in domestication between wolves and dogs. (Sorry if this is kinda random), but they attached a treat stuck to the middle of a closed dog crate to a string so when the wolf or dog tugged on the string the whole crate would move and the wolf or dog would be unable to get the treat. Anyway, when they did the experiment...first with the wolf, the wolf tugged the string, realized it couldn't get the treat 'cause tugging the string would only make the whole crate move, then it mauled the crate in frustration. Then they did the same experiment with the dog (some kind of Border Collie mix I think), and the dog tugged the string, the whole crate moved, then the dog thought for a moment and realized it couldn't get the treat so its domestic instincts kicked in and went to a human and barked as a way of asking for help. I guess my point is, wolves are wild animals...dogs aren't...There is a new show coming to Animal Planet called Living with the Wolf Man by the way :D

I'd prefer a skunk-dog hybrid. It would just be funnier...

Twisterdog
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd prefer a skunk-dog hybrid.

I groom a couple of those!

Oh wait ... I guess they just smell like it. ;)

bckrazy
10-02-2008, 02:03 AM
I do not think there is ANY way one can reputably breed wolf hybrids (like Glacier said)... and if there was, I don't think this breeder is anywhere near doing so. There is no mention of health testing on the website, and no mention of a real goal for their breeding operation. I just hope to GOD they screen homes very thoroughly.

As far as wolf hybrids in general... I don't agree with producing them, and I wouldn't own one. I have met several, only one of which was a really nice, stable dog; and she was a low-content GSD x wolf rescued as a young puppy, by a very experienced trainer. I've met a few who were painfully, incredibly shy. I saw two in Petsmart the other day who the owner couldn't even get through the parking lot... they were choking themselves, trying to hide under cars. And I knew one who was a flat-out dangerous animal, who eventually almost killed a meterman.

chocolatepuppy
10-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I saw two in Petsmart
Our Petsmart doesn't allow wolves or hybrids in the store. Two of the trainers said they don't enforce it and have seen them in the store. A lot of people think my Layla is part wolf. To the best of my knowledge she has no wolf in her. A few have said she acts like a wolf. Really? She looks and acts like a dog to me.;)
I don't believe in breeding or owning wolves. I love them, but they are wild animals, plain and simple.

critter crazy
10-05-2008, 09:09 AM
My BIL had a Wolf/Shepard mix, that he brought home from active duty down south. Tiko was a fabulous dog, but she definitely had some issues. She had a huge prey drive! she could not be near any small animal, especially cats! She had to be on a leash while outside, she could not be trusted off lead! If she broke loose, and took off, she would come home with a prize, one time her prize was a Fawn! Thankfully it was alive and Okay, and was able to be released. She was great with kids tho, and just adored them. treating them like her own. She passed away a few years ago, at the age of 15. Here are two pics I could find of her.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Tiko/tiko.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Tiko/tiko2.jpg